cure-real

Thread: Why did God require blood sacrifices?

Lightbulb Why did God require blood sacrifices?

I have so many questions.

Why does God require a blood sacrifice to cover sins?
    In the OT He required animal sacrifices, in the NT Jesus was our permanent sacrifice.

I thought it was because...
    The wages of sin is death. The only thing that can overcome death is life. The life of anything/one is in the blood of it. He requires that blood (the life) to cover the consequences of your sin (death). Am I even CLOSE? LOL, remember this is just my guess at it and I'm NOT learned in The Word or how it all works.

Re: Why did God require blood sacrifices?

Quote Originally Posted by gurl View Post
    I have so many questions.

In the OT He required animal sacrifices, in the NT Jesus was our permanent sacrifice.

The wages of sin is death. The only thing that can overcome death is life. The life of anything/one is in the blood of it. He requires that blood (the life) to cover the consequences of your sin (death). Am I even CLOSE? LOL, remember this is just my guess at it and I'm NOT learned in The Word or how it all works.
    You're very close only this distinction I have to make - God did require blood sacrifices to atone for our sin. He no longer does because Jesus has paid that ransom once and for all. We live by the new covenant not the old.

Gurl, it's amazing to me the things I see happening to you. You're such a blessing to me. Do you think that you may have come to the point where you have recognized Jesus as our Savior? You don't feel like a 'No I am not Christian, but I am searching' to me anymore - just saying.

God Bless.
    "The greatest single cause of atheism in the
    world today is Christians, who acknowledge Jesus
    with their lips then walk out the door and deny
    Him by their lifestyles. That is what
    an unbelieving world simply
    finds unbelievable."

~ Brennan Manning

Yes, I do know that Jesus is my Lord and Savior. I feel freer but bad because I fall so short.
    I hear people all the time, most who are not Christians, saying if I believe in Jesus what I should and should not be doing. I didn't think it was legalistic though. Listening to them sounds a lot like those of Jesus' day. They were so hung up on the law & rules that they condemned their own Savior.
    Most people, I was included, thought it was just a long list of dos and do nots. I find it's a lot more than that and I'm really praying to not get caught up in the laws so much and just let The Holy Spirit do His work inside me to change outside me.
    I struggle with trying to change myself even knowing I fail every time when I try to do it in my own power and that true change starts from the inside, not the outside. I can change my behavior for awhile but if my mind/heart doesn't change, it's just temporary.

Blog Entries

I agree with Gypsy, your understanding is good. There have been volumes written on this subject and there are numerous ways to understand this.

It isn't so much that God required blood for sin, but rather that He provided it:

Leviticus 17:1 And the LORD spake unto Moses, saying,
    7 And they shall no more offer their sacrifices unto devils, after whom they have gone a whoring. This shall be a statute for ever unto them throughout their generations.
    10 And whatsoever man there be of the house of Israel, or of the strangers that sojourn among you, that eateth any manner of blood; I will even set my face against that soul that eateth blood, and will cut him off from among his people.

11 For the life of the flesh is in the blood: and I have given it to you upon the altar to make an atonement for your souls: for it is the blood that maketh an atonement for the soul.

As you point out, it isn't only the substance of blood that made atonement, but the life that was given. A vein couldn't be opened and some blood obtained to make atonement. Instead, the life of the animal was sacrificed and the blood of that sacrifice, when done in accordance to God's commands, God would accept to make atonement for sin for a time. The blood of animals is guiltless, having no transgression, so that being blameless God would accept to show man his blame before God. Man could not atone for himself because of his sin.

Psalms 89:48 What man is he that liveth, and shall not see death? shall he deliver his soul from the hand of the grave? Selah.

Israel was commanded to have respect unto the life (blood) of animals and to view the blood as having precious potential value to make atonement for their souls with God. Sacrifices were therefore not be be made to things which could provide no atonement. If one knew about the value of the blood but did not have regard to the respect, conservation, and use of it unto the purpose God provided, then that person was guilty of the blood of the animals he killed.

This system of sacrifice resulted in the proper respect of blood and brought Israel to the continual remembrance of sin and the death it brings (the wages of sin).

So what was different with Jesus Christ? What is special about His blood?

Jesus Christ was both man and God. Jesus was God incarnate. It isn't that God took over a body as we sometimes understand an avatar, but rather God became man, was born of a woman, but with having a divine mission as a man.

Hebrews 2:9 But we see Jesus, who was made a little lower than the angels for the suffering of death, crowned with glory and honour; that he by the grace of God should taste death for every man.
    14 Forasmuch then as the children are partakers of flesh and blood, he also himself likewise took part of the same; that through death he might destroy him that had the power of death, that is, the devil;

15 And deliver them who through fear of death were all their lifetime subject to bondage.

In Jesus, man has a candidate for someone who could make atonement for man by offering Himself as the sacrifice. Jesus was to suffer death voluntarily on our behalf. But what would make His death any more special than all those who have had their blood shed over the time of history? Jesus lived His life here as a man in perfect harmony with God. Jesus Christ was man reconciled to God in one body.

II Corinthians 5:17 Therefore if any man be in Christ, he is a new creature: old things are passed away; behold, all things are become new.

18 And all things are of God, who hath reconciled us to himself by Jesus Christ, and hath given to us the ministry of reconciliation;

19 To wit, that God was in Christ, reconciling the world unto himself, not imputing their trespasses unto them; and hath committed unto us the word of reconciliation.

Therefore Jesus suffered death while being blameless, like the animal sacrifices, but as a man while yet having no sin and for the purpose of sin. Unlike the animal sacrifices that were offered by and on behalf of those who were guilty, Jesus was both the offerer and the offered without any guilt. Jesus shed His blood and endured "the wages of sin" (death) while not having sinned. Jesus' blood (life) therefore could stand on behalf of all mankind as having the power over sin and death. Since Jesus owed no "wages of sin", He destroyed death as a man by being resurrected the third day.

As I said before, there are numerous ways to understand this, but the thing to understand in all of it is that: Romans 5:8 But God commendeth his love toward us, in that, while we were yet sinners, Christ died for us.

In Jesus Christ, His birth, His sinless life, His ministry to God, His obedience to death, and in His resurrection the third day; God performs and gives the entirety of His provision for sin and death to mankind. God made this provision without any participation of sinful man or by animal sacrifice. God's motivation in the gift is love. This is God's grace through Jesus Christ. Our faith in what God has provided is how God's grace is received.
    Watchinginawe

I Samuel 3:10 And the LORD came, and stood, and called as at other times, Samuel, Samuel. Then Samuel answered, Speak; for thy servant heareth.

Yes, I do know that Jesus is my Lord and Savior.
    That’s awesome! This alone is what makes us Christians, not our behavior, our faith. He will begin to work within you to change you behavior. We all fall short. You, me, the most experienced Christian on this board - all fall short. We never will not. Never will be deserving of His love. He loves us anyway. How cool is that?

If you truly feel that you are sorry for your sin and know that Jesus has died to pay the debt for your sin and will take you to the Father if you ask him then may I suggest that you change your ‘Are you Christian’ status:

Settings (top right of every screen) --> Edit Prifile (left side of screen under ‘my settings’) --> tic ‘Yes, I am a Christian’ and then click save settings on the bottom.

Doing so will enable you to post in most of the other forums as well. That way you can get a much wider exposure to your posts and post your questions in forums focused on specific topics; Bible Study for bible stuff, Women at the Well for the girl stuff, etc. The folks who hang out in each forum tend to have specific interests and therefore offer a good knowledge and experience base specific to your questions. You won't be able to start threads in here anymore, but you can respond to OPs questions.

You also might want to post a quick note in Chat to Mods, just to let them know that you changed your status, so if someone hasn’t been following along in here they won’t think that you are posting out of place.

I hear people all the time, most who are not Christians, saying if I believe in Jesus what I should and should not be doing. I didn't think it was legalistic though. Listening to them sounds a lot like those of Jesus' day. They were so hung up on the law & rules that they condemned their own Savior.
    Most people, I was included, thought it was just a long list of dos and do nots. I find it's a lot more than that and I'm really praying to not get caught up in the laws so much and just let The Holy Spirit do His work inside me to change outside me.
    When, the Pharisees questioned Jesus’ behavior he rebuked them strongly:

Quote Originally Posted by Matthew 15 (New International Version)
    Clean and Unclean
    1Then some Pharisees and teachers of the law came to Jesus from Jerusalem and asked, 2"Why do your disciples break the tradition of the elders? They don't wash their hands before they eat!"
    3Jesus replied, "And why do you break the command of God for the sake of your tradition? 4For God said, 'Honor your father and mother'[a] and 'Anyone who curses his father or mother must be put to death.'[b] 5But you say that if a man says to his father or mother, 'Whatever help you might otherwise have received from me is a gift devoted to God,' 6he is not to 'honor his father[c]' with it. Thus you nullify the word of God for the sake of your tradition. 7You hypocrites! Isaiah was right when he prophesied about you:
    8" 'These people honor me with their lips,
    but their hearts are far from me.
    9They worship me in vain;
    their teachings are but rules taught by men.'[d]"
    10Jesus called the crowd to him and said, "Listen and understand. 11What goes into a man's mouth does not make him 'unclean,' but what comes out of his mouth, that is what makes him 'unclean.' "
    12Then the disciples came to him and asked, "Do you know that the Pharisees were offended when they heard this?"
    He was fixed on serving God’s will, before the traditions of men. God trumps people. As a Christian, I accept the council of other Christians, to become educated in my faith, to be corrected etc., but the value of their words can never exceed the value of Gods word. He wrote it all down for us so we don’t have to wonder. It’s sounds like you’ve been staying in scripture and that’s exactly what you should be doing. As your knowledge grows, so will your understanding of God’s will for you.

I struggle with trying to change myself even knowing I fail every time when I try to do it in my own power and that true change starts from the inside, not the outside. I can change my behavior for awhile but if my mind/heart doesn't change, it's just temporary.
    Gurl, don’t let any Christian ever tell you that they haven’t struggled with sin. We all have and do. He's not counting how many times you fall down, he's counting how many times you get back up. Do you honestly think that your sin is any more ugly to God than mine or anyone elses? The good news is that you don’t have to do it alone anymore. Jesus will help you and he has the strength to do so. Honestly, that's all that being a Christian really is - not going to church, not a list of do's and don'ts , not living sinlessly - it's having a relationship with Jesus Christ. Talk to Him. All the time. Bring you struggles to him, lay them at his feet. Tell Him you're lost, lonly, confused. Tell him you're afraid. Tell him what you had for lunch. He’ll be there with you, every step of the way and he never gets sick of the sound of your voice.

God Bless my Sister.
    "The greatest single cause of atheism in the
    world today is Christians, who acknowledge Jesus
    with their lips then walk out the door and deny
    Him by their lifestyles. That is what
    an unbelieving world simply
    finds unbelievable."

~ Brennan Manning

Thread Information