cure-real
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 17

Thread: Why did God choose Israel as His chosen people?

  1. #1

    Why did God choose Israel as His chosen people?

    Let me first start by saying this, I am a firm believer in God, so I hope you don't mind me posting in other posts. The reason I chose my tag as "not a Christian," is because I don't consider myself one. We have way too many Christians who claim to be Christians which in turn gives Christianity a bad name. Until I choose to fully walk the path, I won't consider myself a Christian.

    And now for the meat and this has really bothered me for a long time. Why was Israel at first His chosen people? And why did He have to do what He did to the Egyptians and not have been the God of all creation like He is now.

    It's hard for me to fathom how He would do that to a people when those people weren't saved. And if hell is real, it would be more confusing for me to think that they'd be there to spend eternity...

    Can anyone help?

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Alabama
    Posts
    583

    Re: Why did God choose Israel as His chosen people?

    Quote Originally Posted by prodigal View Post
    Why was Israel at first His chosen people?
    Hello prodigal!
    This probably isn't the only answer, but I think it's the most relevant one.
    God had to bring the Messiah(Jesus) into existance to save the world. He needed a holy people, a people that followed Him. The Messiah couldn't be born into some pagan culture.
    The nation of Israel was chosen to give birth to the Messiah that would save the world because of the righteousness of one man, Abraham.
    Abraham was faithful and obeyed God, so much so that God promised Abraham that the Messiah would be born from him.

    God speaking to Abraham,
    Gen 22:17 I will surely bless you, and I will surely multiply your offspring as the stars of heaven and as the sand that is on the seashore. And your offspring shall possess the gate of his enemies,
    Gen 22:18 and in your offspring shall all the nations of the earth be blessed, because you have obeyed my voice.”

    The Apostle Paul interpreting the passage,
    Gal 3:16 Now the promises were made to Abraham and to his offspring. It does not say, “And to offsprings,” referring to many, but referring to one, “And to your offspring,” who is Christ.

    Quote Originally Posted by prodigal View Post
    And why did He have to do what He did to the Egyptians and not have been the God of all creation like He is now.
    It's hard for me to fathom how He would do that to a people when those people weren't saved.
    Reason #1- Forced slavery
    Exod 1:8 Now there arose a new king over Egypt, who did not know Joseph.
    Exod 1:9 And he said to his people, “Behold, the people of Israel are too many and too mighty for us.
    Exod 1:10 Come, let us deal shrewdly with them, lest they multiply, and, if war breaks out, they join our enemies and fight against us and escape from the land.”
    Exod 1:11 Therefore they set taskmasters over them to afflict them with heavy burdens. They built for Pharaoh store cities, Pithom and Raamses.
    Exod 1:12 But the more they were oppressed, the more they multiplied and the more they spread abroad. And the Egyptians were in dread of the people of Israel.
    Exod 1:13 So they ruthlessly made the people of Israel work as slaves
    Exod 1:14 and made their lives bitter with hard service, in mortar and brick, and in all kinds of work in the field. In all their work they ruthlessly made them work as slaves.

    Reason #2-imagine if today you saw this on the news, would you be outraged?
    Exod 1:22 Then Pharaoh commanded all his people, “Every son that is born to the Hebrews you shall cast into the Nile, but you shall let every daughter live.”

    Reason #3- ruthless
    Exod 2:11 One day, when Moses had grown up, he went out to his people and looked on their burdens, and he saw an Egyptian beating a Hebrew, one of his people.

    Reason #4-they asked God for help
    Exod 2:23 During those many days the king of Egypt died, and the people of Israel groaned because of their slavery and cried out for help. Their cry for rescue from slavery came up to God.
    Exod 2:24 And God heard their groaning, and God remembered his covenant with Abraham, with Isaac, and with Jacob.

    God replied..
    Exod 3:7 Then the Lord said, “I have surely seen the affliction of my people who are in Egypt and have heard their cry because of their taskmasters. I know their sufferings,

    The main reason for the 10 plagues- it was the only way that the king would let Israel go...
    Exod 3:19 But I know that the king of Egypt will not let you go unless compelled by a mighty hand.
    Exod 3:20 So I will stretch out my hand and strike Egypt with all the wonders that I will do in it; after that he will let you go.

    So, they were ruthlessly made to work as slaves, all of their sons that were born were thrown into the Nile to drown, they were getting beat up, suffering, and their lives were bitter with hard service.
    The Israeli people had to become a nation, they couldn't remain in slavery. A lot of the things that God did in the Old Testament was to ensure that the Messiah would be born. And Satan did everything he could to stop it.

    Quote Originally Posted by prodigal View Post
    And if hell is real, it would be more confusing for me to think that they'd be there to spend eternity...

    Can anyone help?
    I agree that it would be confusing if they are to be tormented alive forever. That's why I reject this particular view of "hell", but I can't elaborate because of forum rules.

  3. #3

    Re: Why did God choose Israel as His chosen people?

    It was not because you are the largest of all nations that יהוה set his heart on you and chose you, for you are really the smallest of all nations. It was because יהוה loved you and because of his fidelity to the oath he had sworn to your fathers, that he brought you out with his strong hand from the place of slavery, and ransomed you from the hand of Pharaoh, king of Egypt.

    Deuteronomy 7:7-8

  4. #4

    Re: Why did God choose Israel as His chosen people?

    Makes a lot of sense, but this still confuses me. In Exodus, I believe it stated that God would harden pharaoh's heart so and He expected him not to release them. Why would He harden pharaoh's heart, if that was the case?

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Everywhere I go, there I am.
    Posts
    21,013

    Re: Why did God choose Israel as His chosen people?

    Quote Originally Posted by prodigal View Post
    Makes a lot of sense, but this still confuses me. In Exodus, I believe it stated that God would harden pharaoh's heart so and He expected him not to release them. Why would He harden pharaoh's heart, if that was the case?
    Read the story in Exodus. Pharoah hardened his own heart several times and the text says that. Pharoah made his own bed, so to speak, before God hardened his heart.

  6. #6

    Re: Why did God choose Israel as His chosen people?

    Hello prodigal,

    The answer to your question, both broadly and specifically, can be found in Romans chapter 9. Now reading that chapter may stir up a couple more questions but if you would like to know the truth, it's right there.

    God is a whole lot bigger and more majestic than any of us ever give him credit for.

    Blessings

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Georgia
    Posts
    2,752
    Blog Entries
    7

    Re: Why did God choose Israel as His chosen people?

    Quote Originally Posted by prodigal View Post
    Let me first start by saying this, I am a firm believer in God, so I hope you don't mind me posting in other posts. The reason I chose my tag as "not a Christian," is because I don't consider myself one. We have way too many Christians who claim to be Christians which in turn gives Christianity a bad name. Until I choose to fully walk the path, I won't consider myself a Christian.
    Welcome to Bibleforums prodigal. You chose an interesting member name.


    prodigal: wastefully or recklessly extravagant.

    Just now I am thinking about how broadly that word could be applied in today's world. We aren't a society of crumbs but of baskets of waste. Lord help us who fare sumptuously in this world. Here is what the Apostle Paul taught regarding those who find themselves rich in this present world:

    I Timothy 6:17 Charge them that are rich in this world, that they be not highminded, nor trust in uncertain riches, but in the living God, who giveth us richly all things to enjoy;

    18 That they do good, that they be rich in good works, ready to distribute, willing to communicate;

    19 Laying up in store for themselves a good foundation against the time to come, that they may lay hold on eternal life.


    What are we to do then? Ask Paul "who then is rich in this world"? (Luke 10:29) OK, so up to here I have posted to myself and maybe others who by any reasonable use of the word prodigal are living prodigally in prodigal times. So maybe there is a point to your statement above about why you won't call yourself a Christian in this day, but I still want to take issue with it.

    Assuming that you understand what Christianity is all about and more specifically the Gospel of Jesus Christ and how we are saved by God's grace through faith in Jesus Christ, then what part of that do you not believe in when you state "I am a firm believer in God"? Do you mean God's existence or a believer in Jesus Christ?

    In either case, I believe the statement of "Yes, I am a Christian" or "No, I am not a Christian" is a testimony of our belief and continued trust (faith) in Jesus Christ as the one who saved us. God isn't so interested in our high regard of the term "Christian" as He is in our high regard for His Son Jesus Christ. I suggest that when we say "No, I am not a Christian" then we are saying "No, I have not received Jesus Christ as my Saviour, I do not have a testimony of that event".

    If Jesus Christ is our Lord and Saviour and we are ashamed to number ourself with our brothers and sisters in Christ then our life would probably not reflect a "Christian life" and potentially devoid of the power of God's grace. If we are ashamed to number ourself with our brothers and sisters in Christ because of their life then we might be having too high of an opinion of ourselves.

    What is your testimony prodigal?
    Watchinginawe

    I Samuel 3:10 And the LORD came, and stood, and called as at other times, Samuel, Samuel. Then Samuel answered, Speak; for thy servant heareth.

  8. #8

    Re: Why did God choose Israel as His chosen people?

    Quote Originally Posted by watchinginawe View Post
    Welcome to Bibleforums prodigal. You chose an interesting member name.

    prodigal: wastefully or recklessly extravagant.

    Just now I am thinking about how broadly that word could be applied in today's world. We aren't a society of crumbs but of baskets of waste. Lord help us who fare sumptuously in this world. Here is what the Apostle Paul taught regarding those who find themselves rich in this present world:

    I Timothy 6:17 Charge them that are rich in this world, that they be not highminded, nor trust in uncertain riches, but in the living God, who giveth us richly all things to enjoy;

    18 That they do good, that they be rich in good works, ready to distribute, willing to communicate;

    19 Laying up in store for themselves a good foundation against the time to come, that they may lay hold on eternal life.


    What are we to do then? Ask Paul "who then is rich in this world"? (Luke 10:29) OK, so up to here I have posted to myself and maybe others who by any reasonable use of the word prodigal are living prodigally in prodigal times. So maybe there is a point to your statement above about why you won't call yourself a Christian in this day, but I still want to take issue with it.

    Assuming that you understand what Christianity is all about and more specifically the Gospel of Jesus Christ and how we are saved by God's grace through faith in Jesus Christ, then what part of that do you not believe in when you state "I am a firm believer in God"? Do you mean God's existence or a believer in Jesus Christ?

    In either case, I believe the statement of "Yes, I am a Christian" or "No, I am not a Christian" is a testimony of our belief and continued trust (faith) in Jesus Christ as the one who saved us. God isn't so interested in our high regard of the term "Christian" as He is in our high regard for His Son Jesus Christ. I suggest that when we say "No, I am not a Christian" then we are saying "No, I have not received Jesus Christ as my Saviour, I do not have a testimony of that event".

    If Jesus Christ is our Lord and Saviour and we are ashamed to number ourself with our brothers and sisters in Christ then our life would probably not reflect a "Christian life" and potentially devoid of the power of God's grace. If we are ashamed to number ourself with our brothers and sisters in Christ because of their life then we might be having too high of an opinion of ourselves.

    What is your testimony prodigal?
    Why should I call myself a Christian when my actions speak otherwise? Just because I believe in Him, that doesn't make me a Christian. Christians already have a bad name, no need for me to add to it. I was raised in a strict upbringing and I still hold those values to this day. I was taught to practice what you preach and to uphold a standard.

    We all know Christians get judged a lot more harshly than others. Christians are labeled hypocrites and such, the standard by which the world has set high. Expectations are perfection - I have no problem with that either. No one is perfect, but that doesn't mean we shouldn't strive for it. Maybe it's my core values, and you know how certain things stick with you, and I guess that one stuck. There should be no halfway Christian, if I'm going to claim to be a Christian, then I should at least try harder in walking in the spirit. I don't, and I'm not going to say I'm a Christian. I am a wholehearted believer in God, but that doesn't mean I walk in the spirit or even try to. Until I'm ready to commit all of my life or at least most of it to Christ, I won't claim to be a Christian.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Georgia
    Posts
    2,752
    Blog Entries
    7

    Re: Why did God choose Israel as His chosen people?

    Quote Originally Posted by prodigal View Post
    Why should I call myself a Christian when my actions speak otherwise? Just because I believe in Him, that doesn't make me a Christian. Why should one profess their faith in Jesus Christ when their actions speak otherwise?
    prodigal, I don't have much time to answer so I am hoping this comes out right. I don't believe that waking up tomorrow with a determined mind to live a Christian life will make you a Christian. You have a good sense of things and I like the following in your answer:

    Quote Originally Posted by prodigal
    Until I'm ready to commit all of my life or at least most of it to Christ, I won't claim to be a Christian.
    If I read that correctly you know where you stand with God. I agree with the "ready" part, you must be willing. I disagree with the "doing" part. So I believe the order of events would be: Ready and willing, profession, living. Don't put the living before the profession, it would strip (rob) the profession of its power to save.

    Think things over. There has to be a deeper reason that you find yourself posting on a Christian forum right about now in your life.
    Watchinginawe

    I Samuel 3:10 And the LORD came, and stood, and called as at other times, Samuel, Samuel. Then Samuel answered, Speak; for thy servant heareth.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    In the dust of the Rabbi
    Posts
    708

    Re: Why did God choose Israel as His chosen people?

    Quote Originally Posted by prodigal View Post
    Until I choose to fully walk the path, I won't consider myself a Christian.
    To me this is rather like saying ‘until these symptoms clear up, I won’t go to the doctor to get the penicillin’.

    My friend, none of us will ever truly be able to walk the walk completely in this lifetime. We all struggle, fight for it, strive to be like Jesus, but we will always be short. Each one of us, you, me, the most experienced Christian on this board or in this world will never be 100% as pure as Jesus. He loves us anyway. Crazy huh? You don’t have to make yourself presentable to God, Jesus has already done that for you. All we have to do is believe it. It’s strikes me as odd that you use the expression ‘consider myself a Christian’ because I don’t think it really matters what you consider yourself to be. Either you believe that Jesus died to pay the ransom for your sin or you don’t. Beyond that, you may not wish to be a Christian, because it means giving up a sinful nature. You may not choose to live a Christian life because you get hung up on something in your way – if I were to consider myself a Christian then I would have to give up pre-marital sex or cheating on my taxes or fill in the blank. Is there something specific that you feel is holding you up?

    Once you accept Jesus as your savior and ask him for forgiveness and to bring you to the father, God begins to work inside of you. He begins to straighten your path not the other way around. You don’t have to find the narrow path to come to God, come to God and he will show you the narrow path.

    Blessings.
    "The greatest single cause of atheism in the
    world today is Christians, who acknowledge Jesus
    with their lips then walk out the door and deny
    Him by their lifestyles. That is what
    an unbelieving world simply
    finds unbelievable."

    ~ Brennan Manning

  11. #11

    Re: Why did God choose Israel as His chosen people?

    Quote Originally Posted by prodigal View Post
    ...
    I didn't label myself as a believer either, it's something that obviously everyone hopes to understand fully and get it right.
    Why was Israel his first chosen people, I think it's just that he chose them.
    Even though God chose Israel as his first chosen people, there was a lot of disobedience - they even wanted to stone Caleb&Joshua (true believers!!)
    When God came as Jesus, most didn't accept him!!

    It comes down to who god chooses, Paul was a typical christian-hating pharisee until god intervened.

    Rom 9:13 As it is written, Jacob have I loved, but Esau have I hated.
    Rom 9:14 What shall we say then? Is there unrighteousness with God? God forbid.
    Rom 9:15 For he saith to Moses, I will have mercy on whom I will have mercy, and I will have compassion on whom I will have compassion.
    Rom 9:16 So then it is not of him that willeth, nor of him that runneth, but of God that sheweth mercy.
    Rom 9:17 For the scripture saith unto Pharaoh, Even for this same purpose have I raised thee up, that I might shew my power in thee, and that my name might be declared throughout all the earth.
    Rom 9:18 Therefore hath he mercy on whom he will have mercy, and whom he will he hardeneth.
    Ultimately one is either saved or unsaved, the unsaved perish but the saved get everlasting life. God choses those he would've saved and paid for their sins, those that he didn't will die.

    Most pharisees looked righteous but they weren't, although they had the word they didn't understand it.

  12. #12

    Re: Why did God choose Israel as His chosen people?

    Thank you all for your words of encouragement, I really do appreciate. And yes, even the strongest Christian has fell short of the glory of God many times, so I'm in good company.

    As for what I'm unwilling to commit to our Lord? It's many things. Most of it is because I can't overcome my addiction to nicotine. I know there have been some on this board who claimed that "smoking" isn't sinning (I used to post here under a different name but didn't log in in forever and forgot my password, so I created a new user name), but from my teachings that I received as a youngster when I was on fire for the Lord, I don't believe that smoking is right. We aren't supposed to defile the temple of the Holy Spirit. I'll say this much though, my love for people is immeasurable, so that's a good start.

    I was on fire for the Lord growing up, and the worst thing that could ever happen to anyone, is falling astray and living the life of the world. I can boldly profess that, and I wish I continued my fellowship with my Christian friends that I grew up with. Having gone through the worst has helped reshaped me though, and I know that the best life is lived through the life of the One who created us. I'm trying to get my life back in order, so please do keep me in your prayers, I really really really need it. Life's challenges make us stronger though, and that, I am very thankful for - even if I resented God for allowing me to go through what I went through. Keep me in your prayers though. Like I said, the greatest thing about trials is how we need to rely on His goodness to get us through. I've seen my sister grow so much, in her life, and especially in her faith, all because of her circumstances in life. It is amazing to hear her witnessing to me, I've seen her grow so much as a person and in the Lord. It really gives me great joy. Her faith, like my mother's, is remarkable. I only enjoy certain things because of their faithfulness, especially of my mom's. I've failed a thousand times, and continue to make the same mistakes in my life. But like the scripture says, He will bless generations of those who are faithful to Him, and my mother is very very faithful.

    And. hopefully, just hopefully, I can regain that fervor that I had as a child. I am a living testimony of His miracles, but I need to shed some of the many things that is lingering over my life.

    God bless you all. And yes I believe that He is real, but until I can really at least try fervently to put Him first in all of the decisions I make, I choose not to consider myself a Christian. It would be wrong and a slap in the face to our Lord, disgracing His name in that way.

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Georgia
    Posts
    2,752
    Blog Entries
    7

    Re: Why did God choose Israel as His chosen people?

    Quote Originally Posted by prodigal
    As for what I'm unwilling to commit to our Lord? It's many things.
    ...
    I need to shed some of the many things that is lingering over my life.
    ...
    God bless you all. And yes I believe that He is real, but until I can really at least try fervently to put Him first in all of the decisions I make, I choose not to consider myself a Christian. It would be wrong and a slap in the face to our Lord, disgracing His name in that way.
    prodigal, if it is alright with you I would characterize you as a wayward Christian. You are not in apostasy nor are you blaspheming God.

    But your separation from the Lord is tangible to you and that is working a purpose in you at this juncture in your life. God will use this to show you something that you have missed along the way.

    Maybe it is as simple as showing you to not be too quick to judge those who profess our Lord as Christians but have struggles like smoking, cussing, relationships, etc. When King David got things sorted out after his wayward time(s) he came to realize that it was between him and God alone, and not the Church, not the High Priest, not a sacrifice, not friends, and not family members. David was laid exposed guilty of what he detested most in other people. If it is between us and God then leave other peoples testimony of our Lord to them and if you choose not to call yourself a Christian then don't use other professing Christians as your reasoning, your reasoning is for what is separating you from the Lord and needs not other support than that.

    Maybe the Lord will use this to show you squarely the "offence of the cross" that Paul talks about in Galatians 5. If grace can be equated to deciding to "sacrifice" your cigarettes at the altar then you are figuring a path to God around what necessitates Jesus dieing on the cross for us. Your peace over the situation will come only by going to God right through the cross, through Jesus Christ. When you are finished beating up yourself for your inabilities it will be the inabilities and your remorse that you ultimately surrender to our Lord Jesus Christ.

    Think of it this way. You probably want to give up some of these things in your life because besides bringing disharmony between you and God they probably don't have any real satisfaction either. Right now you don't have to worry about it because you have confessed to the Lord and to us publically that you will not call yourself a Christian. You are "paying" for your license of disobedience. There is no honor, peace, or salvation in that. Submitting yourself to Jesus Christ just as you are, warts and all, and professing Him as your Lord and Saviour will end your life of license. What you can't get immediate victory over you will have to trust to grace and thus intimately connect you to the power and necessity of the cross. It would be far better in my opinion to call one's self a Christian and connect with grace than to deny the name and the grace needed to overcome our situation.

    I will be praying with you prodigal, I do think the Lord is dealing with you. It makes me excited to wonder what He is working on in your situation. I hope my comments are helpful.
    Watchinginawe

    I Samuel 3:10 And the LORD came, and stood, and called as at other times, Samuel, Samuel. Then Samuel answered, Speak; for thy servant heareth.

  14. #14

    Re: Why did God choose Israel as His chosen people?

    Quote Originally Posted by watchinginawe View Post
    prodigal, if it is alright with you I would characterize you as a wayward Christian. You are not in apostasy nor are you blaspheming God.

    But your separation from the Lord is tangible to you and that is working a purpose in you at this juncture in your life. God will use this to show you something that you have missed along the way.

    Maybe it is as simple as showing you to not be too quick to judge those who profess our Lord as Christians but have struggles like smoking, cussing, relationships, etc. When King David got things sorted out after his wayward time(s) he came to realize that it was between him and God alone, and not the Church, not the High Priest, not a sacrifice, not friends, and not family members. David was laid exposed guilty of what he detested most in other people. If it is between us and God then leave other peoples testimony of our Lord to them and if you choose not to call yourself a Christian then don't use other professing Christians as your reasoning, your reasoning is for what is separating you from the Lord and needs not other support than that.

    Maybe the Lord will use this to show you squarely the "offence of the cross" that Paul talks about in Galatians 5. If grace can be equated to deciding to "sacrifice" your cigarettes at the altar then you are figuring a path to God around what necessitates Jesus dieing on the cross for us. Your peace over the situation will come only by going to God right through the cross, through Jesus Christ. When you are finished beating up yourself for your inabilities it will be the inabilities and your remorse that you ultimately surrender to our Lord Jesus Christ.

    Think of it this way. You probably want to give up some of these things in your life because besides bringing disharmony between you and God they probably don't have any real satisfaction either. Right now you don't have to worry about it because you have confessed to the Lord and to us publically that you will not call yourself a Christian. You are "paying" for your license of disobedience. There is no honor, peace, or salvation in that. Submitting yourself to Jesus Christ just as you are, warts and all, and professing Him as your Lord and Saviour will end your life of license. What you can't get immediate victory over you will have to trust to grace and thus intimately connect you to the power and necessity of the cross. It would be far better in my opinion to call one's self a Christian and connect with grace than to deny the name and the grace needed to overcome our situation.

    I will be praying with you prodigal, I do think the Lord is dealing with you. It makes me excited to wonder what He is working on in your situation. I hope my comments are helpful.
    I'm in no way trying to characterize other Christians or use them as an example. I just remember a lot of things growing up, and my Sunday school teacher taught us that we should offer what is holy. Like I said, I grew up in a strict teaching, and there is nothing wrong with that. I don't want to label myself a Christian when my actions speak otherwise. If I'm going to speak, I'm going to let my actions do the talking. We all will continue to fall short, I understand, and getting back up is the main thing. But I have yet to repent of my sins. I continually sin every single day, full knowing that it is wrong. And I've also learned that to repent, we must not only feel sorry for our sin, but we should try to correct our mistakes as much as possible. When I'm ready to come to terms with the Lord, I will consider myself a Christian or a follower of Christ. Hope I didn't confuse you.

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Netherlands
    Posts
    2,889
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Why did God choose Israel as His chosen people?

    Quote Originally Posted by prodigal View Post
    I'm in no way trying to characterize other Christians or use them as an example. I just remember a lot of things growing up, and my Sunday school teacher taught us that we should offer what is holy. Like I said, I grew up in a strict teaching, and there is nothing wrong with that. I don't want to label myself a Christian when my actions speak otherwise. If I'm going to speak, I'm going to let my actions do the talking. We all will continue to fall short, I understand, and getting back up is the main thing. But I have yet to repent of my sins. I continually sin every single day, full knowing that it is wrong. And I've also learned that to repent, we must not only feel sorry for our sin, but we should try to correct our mistakes as much as possible. When I'm ready to come to terms with the Lord, I will consider myself a Christian or a follower of Christ. Hope I didn't confuse you.
    Brutal honest post, love that

    Perhaps a point to ponder about: when you have come on terms with the Lord (as you have rightly put it) then do you expect (demand) from yourself to never fall into old habits again as part of the deal? You sound like this, I could be wrong of course.

    But if so, you are creating a unnecessary major obstacle for yourself.

    Perhaps an analogy will help.

    Imagine a girl and a boy who are in love. The boy asks the girl to marry him. The girl really wants to but refuses nevertheless. Of course the boy starts to ask questions. And the girl says, I really love you and want to marry you but you know I am sooooo afraid about the consequences. I see the a mountain full of dishes for the next 40-50-60 years to come, I see thousands of dirty napkins and I really can't cope with that, this mountain is too high for me.

    And I can hear the boy say: We will do the dishes together, day by day, one dish a day is all it needs to level that mountain and if there is a day you really can't, I will do it for you. And as for the dirty napkins my love, I will wait till you are ready and if you are ready I will be there for you to give you the same support as with the dishes, one napkin at the time. And now give me a real good reason why you would not marry me.

    You see, the Lord loves you. He will not ask anything above your powers.

    I Cor 10:13 No trial has overtaken you that is not faced by others. And God is faithful: He will not let you be tried beyond what you are able to bear, but with the trial will also provide a way out so that you may be able to endure it.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 2
    Last Post: Jan 6th 2010, 02:40 PM
  2. Discussion Why are God's chosen people the Jews if....
    By harrychess in forum Bible Chat
    Replies: 91
    Last Post: Aug 16th 2008, 06:37 PM
  3. Are The Jews Still Gods Chosen People??
    By EaglesWINGS911 in forum Bible Chat
    Replies: 52
    Last Post: Aug 7th 2008, 01:04 AM
  4. Jewish view on being a chosen people
    By Fenris in forum Bible Chat
    Replies: 279
    Last Post: Sep 17th 2007, 09:37 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •