cure-real

Thread: Sharing testimonies in small group

Sharing testimonies in small group

Hi guys, my small group will be sharing personal testimonies. I wanted to start the first night off with why sharing about God's blessings is important and I'm looking for Bible verses to back up this point.

I will obviously do some legwork myself, but figure it can't hurt to ask my fellow brothers and sisters here for any tips, advice or feedback.

In the slave pits of manmade Christianity, setting the captives free.

Re: Sharing testimonies in small group

A testimony should be about what God has done in your life, not about some theological position you want to make.

Just tell them what God has done for you and what your life would be like without God's blessings. That's all you have to do. You don't need Bible verses to confirm what God has done for you.

Just share what is in your heart.

Blog Entries

One of my personal favorites...

Psalms 107:1-8 O give thanks unto the LORD, for he is good: for his mercy endureth for ever. Let the redeemed of the LORD say so, whom he hath redeemed from the hand of the enemy; And gathered them out of the lands, from the east, and from the west, from the north, and from the south. They wandered in the wilderness in a solitary way; they found no city to dwell in. Hungry and thirsty, their soul fainted in them. Then they cried unto the LORD in their trouble, and he delivered them out of their distresses. And he led them forth by the right way, that they might go to a city of habitation. Oh that men would praise the LORD for his goodness, and for his wonderful works to the children of men!
    For what mortal has ever heard the voice of the living God speaking out of fire, as we have, and survived? ~ Deuteronomy 5:26

If you're not prepared to risk your very life for your "enemy" you have no right to speak to him of love. ~ Daughter

Many say they are called... but I am pretty convinced that with many of them it was the wrong number. ~ Project Peter

In a place of praying hard and trusting God while battling on my knees!
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by SteveL View Post
    Hi guys, my small group will be sharing personal testimonies. I wanted to start the first night off with why sharing about God's blessings is important and I'm looking for Bible verses to back up this point.

I will obviously do some legwork myself, but figure it can't hurt to ask my fellow brothers and sisters here for any tips, advice or feedback.
    Advice I always give... speak about who broke and messed up you were, then speak about how God brought you out of where you were broke and messed up, then talk about what God is using you for and doing through you.

This is always a good basis for any testimony.

As for scripture?

What scripture convicted you while in your broke and messed up way of life and by that conviction you turned it all over to God to lift you out. Also, during this process of lifting you out, what scripture did you find strength in to keep on keeping on as, God did all that work in you?

That is the scripture that should be included in the testimony.
    Slug1--out

~Limitations in a Christianís life are due to limited prayer and limiting obedience~

~Forgiveness has nothing to do with forgetting that moment... it's all about freedom FROM that moment.~

~Your needs activate God's compassion and faith activates God's power~

~Three minutes is a lifetime, if you only have two, too live~

Do you already know these people or are they strangers?

I'm always ready to give testimony to non-believers, but I'd be extremely judicious about how much I talked about that kind of thing among "christians" I don't know.

Quote Originally Posted by SteveL View Post

And they have conquered him by the blood of the Lamb and by the word of their testimony, for they loved not their lives even unto death.
    (Rev 12:11)
    ♪ Each day may Christ become clearer, His Cross dearer, Our Hope nearer. ♫

Live-Orlando, Fl. Spirit.-near Christ. Mental-out to lunch
    Blog Entries

As I understand it, he is wanting verses about why we should share our testamony about what God has done, not how to do it. Unfortunately I am at work and do not have a Bible handy to be able to find exactly where it is but what about the verse where Paul writes for us to "Always be ready to give an answer for the hope you have within you" (CWIV)

Blog Entries

Cloudwalker, I think that is Peter you are thinking of:

1Pe 3:15 But sanctify the Lord God in your hearts, and always be ready to give a defense to everyone who asks you a reason for the hope that is in you, with meekness and fear;

Live-Orlando, Fl. Spirit.-near Christ. Mental-out to lunch
    Blog Entries

Thanks Frecs. I knew it was in one of the NT letters. If I had been home I could have looked it up.

Blog Entries

hey there alot of things that god has done in my life. That im very happy about what he has put on my heart for the youth. i just want to do things right for gods purpose

Psalm 26:7 That I may proclaim with the voice of thanksgiving, And tell of all Your wondrous works.

Psalm 119:127 My tongue shall speak of Your word, For all Your commandments are righteousness.

Psalm 145:10 All Your works shall praise You, O LORD, And Your saints shall bless You. 11 They shall speak of the glory of Your kingdom, And talk of Your power, 12 To make known to the sons of men His mighty acts, And the glorious majesty of His kingdom.

Is 43:10 10 “ You are My witnesses,” says the LORD, “ And My servant whom I have chosen, That you may know and believe Me, And understand that I am He. Before Me there was no God formed, Nor shall there be after Me.

1 Chron 16:8 Oh, give thanks to the LORD! Call upon His name; Make known His deeds among the peoples!

Ps 107:1 Oh, give thanks to the LORD, for He is good! For His mercy endures forever. 2 Let the redeemed of the LORD say so, Whom He has redeemed from the hand of the enemy,

Is 12:4 4 And in that day you will say: “ Praise the LORD, call upon His name; Declare His deeds among the peoples, Make mention that His name is exalted. 5 Sing to the LORD, For He has done excellent things; This is known in all the earth. 6 Cry out and shout, O inhabitant of Zion, For great is the Holy One of Israel in your midst!”

I Peter 3:15 But sanctify the Lord God in your hearts, and always be ready to give a defense to everyone who asks you a reason for the hope that is in you, with meekness and fear;

Is 63:7 I will mention the lovingkindnesses of the LORD And the praises of the LORD, According to all that the LORD has bestowed on us, And the great goodness toward the house of Israel, Which He has bestowed on them according to His mercies, According to the multitude of His lovingkindnesses.

Mal 3:16 Then those who feared the LORD spoke to one another, And the LORD listened and heard them;So a book of remembrance was written before Him For those who fear the LORD And who meditate on His name.

Ps 9:11 Sing praises to the LORD, who dwells in Zion! Declare His deeds among the people.

1 Pet 2:9 But you are a chosen generation, a royal priesthood, a holy nation, His own special people, that you may proclaim the praises of Him who called you out of darkness into His marvelous light;

Ps 35:27 Let them shout for joy and be glad, Who favor my righteous cause; And let them say continually, “Let the LORD be magnified, Who has pleasure in the prosperity of His servant.” 28 And my tongue shall speak of Your righteousness And of Your praise all the day long.

Ps 100 1 Make a joyful shout to the LORD, all you lands!
    2 Serve the LORD with gladness;
    Come before His presence with singing.
    3 Know that the LORD, He is God;
    It is He who has made us, and not we ourselves;[a]
    We are His people and the sheep of His pasture.

4 Enter into His gates with thanksgiving,
    And into His courts with praise.
    Be thankful to Him, and bless His name.
    5 For the LORD is good;
    His mercy is everlasting,
    And His truth endures to all generations.
    \o/ Every heartbeat for your glory!

Blog Entries
    All the verses listed are about sharing our faith/testimony with nonbelievers...and the Revelation one I really wouldn't use because that is about overcoming the beast! And you aren't sitting among beast..but other sheep.

It does help build our faith when we hear other testimonies..its encouraging for each person to hear how God worked in someone's life. I hope this verses help:

Acts 14:21-23

21 After preaching the Good News in Derbe and making many disciples, Paul and Barnabas returned to Lystra, Iconium, and Antioch of Pisidia, 22 where they strengthened the believers. They encouraged them to continue in the faith, reminding them that we must suffer many hardships to enter the Kingdom of God.

Romans 1:11-13

11 For I long to visit you so I can bring you some spiritual gift that will help you grow strong in the Lord. 12 When we get together, I want to encourage you in your faith, but I also want to be encouraged by yours.

2 Corinthians 13:11
    Dear brothers and sisters, I close my letter with these last words: Be joyful. Grow to maturity. Encourage each other. Live in harmony and peace. Then the God of love and peace will be with you.

Philippians 2
    Have the Attitude of Christ
    1 Is there any encouragement from belonging to Christ? Any comfort from his love? Any fellowship together in the Spirit? Are your hearts tender and compassionate? 2 Then make me truly happy by agreeing wholeheartedly with each other, loving one another, and working together with one mind and purpose.

3 Don’t be selfish; don’t try to impress others. Be humble, thinking of others as better than yourselves

Take what you can use.

We did this at our small groups in the past and it was really interesting and a learning experience too, to hear about how we were raised..in a church or not..some from bad churches, how our paths to God varied so greatly and what finally brought us to Him. And its just inspiring to hear how He worked in each of our lives too.

God bless
    "People do not drift toward holiness. Apart from grace-driven effort, people do not gravitate toward godliness, prayer, obedience to Scripture, faith, and delight in the Lord. We drift toward compromise and call it tolerance; We drift toward disobedience and call it freedom; We drift toward superstition and call it faith. We cherish the indiscipline of lost self-control and call it relaxation; we slouch toward prayerlessness and delude ourselves into thinking we have escaped legalism; we slide toward godlessness and convince ourselves we have been liberated?" - D A Carson

Thread Information