cure-real

Thread: Police Man/women

Police Man/women

Hello this is my first post

I am soon going to be 18 and still dont know what i want to do with life(career wise) but one thing i am interested in is being in law enforcement. but here is the thing i am wondering about, can christains be police men/women? because what if you have to kill to protect your selves on the job? thank you

Blog Entries

Re: Police Man/women

Sure they can. I even know some Christian police officiers who are chaplians. Self-defense is not murder.
    Amazzin

Obedience to God is more than a soldier obeying his commander. It is our grateful response to the Lover of our souls.

CHURCH: Where worship is enjoyed, not endured - Grace is preached, not legalism - And Christ is exalted, not religion!

First of all, welcome to the forum.

As far as being in law enforcement and being a Christian, absolutly no problem or conflict. While I hope you never have to be in a position to make a decision to shoot and potentially kill a person in the line of duty, a situation may arise where, to protect civilians and even yourself, you will have to do so. However, I see it as no different as if you (as a Christian) were to enlist in the military. If you are in a gunfire battle, you would have to make a decision to potentially end another persons life to protect another. Both are a part of the "job description".

I commend you for thinking, at 18 years of age, about your future career. I wish I was like that at your age. Pray about with the Lord, and seek His guidance. And best of luck to you.

Quote Originally Posted by Godisgood View Post

I am soon going to be 18 and still dont know what i want to do with life(career wise) but one thing i am interested in is being in law enforcement. but here is the thing i am wondering about, can christains be police men/women? because what if you have to kill to protect your selves on the job? thank you
    I am a Christian and a police officer.

well i am worried about how it says in the bible "not to take anothers life" because i would not want to get judged by GOD for killing somebody on the job...
    Last edited by Godisgood; Sep 16th 2010 at 01:56 AM. Reason: spelling

well i am worried about how it says in the bible "not to take anothers life" because i would not want to get judged but GOD for killing somebody on the job...
    The literal translation is "thou shalt not do murder."

i was close enough but you know what i mean?

well i am worried about how it says in the bible "not to take anothers life" because i would not want to get judged by GOD for killing somebody on the job...

The commandment "You shall not murder" refers to the act of willfully killing a person.

I think the goal is... try in every way not to shoot to kill I think police are taught that anyways... well at lest they should be. I know that in some situation shooting to incapacitate is not an option... but when it is try and do that.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by the sound View Post
    ... try in every way not to shoot to kill I think police are taught that anyways... well at lest they should be.....
    Police are neither taught to do that, nor should they be. The idea of taking a life is a serious consideration, but the 'lethal force' guidelines you will be taught are consistent with scripture. Law enforcement officers are not trained to use lethal force to murder, but to protect life.

The distinction that Reynolds357 made is an important one. Murder is completely different then taking a life.

Law enforcement is a feild with a tremendous opportunity to serve, and is an honorable work. It might be helpful for you to approach your local police department, or sheriff's office and ask if they have a program that might give you some exposure. Where I live, there is what is called a 'Civilian Law Enforcement Academy' that citizens can learn all about local law enforcement. They also allow 'ride along's' to citizens. Something like this may be helpful.

Blessings to you as you seek the Lord's will in this.
    * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * ** * * * * ** * * * ** * *** * * * * ***** * * * * ** * * * * ** ** * *
    ~ * You get 10 'reps' to bless others with each day... don't log off until you have used them up......
    ....Live your life the same way.... ~ *

Please pray for the 'Persecuted Church'.

Bible Forums Vision: "To be a community of believers who are actively engaged in pursuing the truth of God as revealed in His Son Jesus Christ by way of studying the Scriptures diligently in order to discover this truth."

In a place of praying hard and trusting God while battling on my knees!
    Blog Entries

i was close enough but you know what i mean?
    I know exactly what you mean. I have killed in battle, not in law enforcement but as a soldier.

See, here's the thing and understanding scripture both in context and as God intends His Word to be understood. Killing and murder are two diffferent things. Sure, a result of "death" is the same but the "purpose" is not. Killing is used by God for purpose while murder is used by satan to destroy. God kills and has used man to do His killing and will continue to do this until Jesus returns and then Jesus can do all the killing Himself.

You want to be a Minister of God or even better... God has called you to be a Minister of God? Be obedient to God's will and His purpose for you. So many Christians fail to be obedient to this calling because of opinion only and feel that killing is wrong and that killing is even evil. Ummmm, then why does God kill and why does God have man kill... if it's wrong or evil?

I posted an article on this site about this topic and is located here: The Age Old Question about Killing
    Slug1--out

~Limitations in a Christian’s life are due to limited prayer and limiting obedience~

~Forgiveness has nothing to do with forgetting that moment... it's all about freedom FROM that moment.~

~Your needs activate God's compassion and faith activates God's power~

~Three minutes is a lifetime, if you only have two, too live~

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by the sound View Post
    I think the goal is... try in every way not to shoot to kill I think police are taught that anyways... well at lest they should be. I know that in some situation shooting to incapacitate is not an option... but when it is try and do that.
    LEOs are trained to shoot to kill. If lethal force is not needed, there is no reason to shoot. Killing incapacitates everyone.
    For what mortal has ever heard the voice of the living God speaking out of fire, as we have, and survived? ~ Deuteronomy 5:26

If you're not prepared to risk your very life for your "enemy" you have no right to speak to him of love. ~ Daughter

Many say they are called... but I am pretty convinced that with many of them it was the wrong number. ~ Project Peter

When you put on a badge and uniform, you no longer represent yourself but you become an agent for the civil authority. Christians have always recognized the civil authority has the responsibility to wield the sword as "an agent of wrath to bring punishment on the wrongdoer." (Romans 13:4). As individuals we cannot do this (Rom 12:19).

Of course with the ability to wield the sword, the civil authority had better have a basis for determining right from wrong. When such authority rejects God, that basis becomes whatever benefits the State. Then historically, the State becomes a very efficient killing machine.
    In Christ,

-- Rev

“To preserve the government we must also preserve morals. Morality rests on religion; if you destroy the foundation, the superstructure must fall. When the public mind becomes vitiated and corrupt, laws are a nullity and constitutions are waste paper.” – Daniel Webster, 4th of July, 1800, Oration at Hanover, N.H.

Live-Orlando, Fl. Spirit.-near Christ. Mental-out to lunch
    Blog Entries

I have a very good friend that not only is a police officer but is a minister of a local church. By the way, if I'm not mistaken, the majority of police officers go their entire careers without ever shooting their guns except on the target range.

In a place of praying hard and trusting God while battling on my knees!
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Cloudwalker View Post
    I have a very good friend that not only is a police officer but is a minister of a local church. By the way, if I'm not mistaken, the majority of police officers go their entire careers without ever shooting their guns except on the target range.
    My dad was a cop for 35 years and unholstered his pistol twice. He took it off safe only once, during those two moments.
    Slug1--out

~Limitations in a Christian’s life are due to limited prayer and limiting obedience~

~Forgiveness has nothing to do with forgetting that moment... it's all about freedom FROM that moment.~

~Your needs activate God's compassion and faith activates God's power~

~Three minutes is a lifetime, if you only have two, too live~

Thread Information