cure-real
Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Thread: Will there be sex in heaven?

Will there be sex in heaven?

I was reading about Jesus' statement to the Sadduccees that at the resurrection "people will niether marry nor be given in marriage, nolonger can they die, they will be like the angels in heaven," and there was an interpretation i read that i hadn't really thought about before. It said that Jesus was telling them that in Levirate marriage wouldnt continue in the resurrection. That is arranged marriages and things like perpetuating the species(the reason why she kept on remarrying her husbands brother) won't continue. They were saying that Jesus was basically telling the sadduccees, that in the resurrection the woman would be married to none of the siblings, not a statement on the ultimate relational state of a man and a woman in general. So i was wondering what you guys think of this? True i understand that the pleasures of heaven will be far greater than earthly pleasures, and that in heaven we may not even desire sex(which is what the majority of christians believe), but since we will have physical bodies(Jesus' resurrection body) sexual intercourse would be possible, but not a forsure thing obviously. I know the church is "the bride of Christ" so people say that "marriage" is an earthly illustration to what real marriage is with Christ and yeah i get that and that makes a whole lot of sense. But my question is this, Do you think that in heaven that intimacy or romance will be totally taken away? I know this is speculative(or a lot of people act like the answer is NO without a doubt) but how do you guys interpret the Bible when it comes to this? If Adam never sinned then everybody would have a wife and such... but then thats playing a game of "what ifs". Anyways what are your thoughts on this subject? By the way, i know its not THE END OF THE WORLD if there is no sex in heaven i am just wondering what your opinions are.
    Last edited by Heeves23; Sep 18th 2010 at 02:41 AM.

Re: Will there be sex in heaven?

Scripture is ultimately silent on the issue, so I would say it's safest not to speculate on the matter.

Well its interesting why people are so dogmatic about how there won't be.

Blog Entries

Matthew 22:30-"At the resurrection people will neither marry nor be given in marriage; they will be like the angels in heaven. "
    Since God created sex to be between man and woman and in the marriage, it is safe to say there will be no sex in heaven.
    .................The message of the cross divides the human race." ~MW~

........ ... " LORD, I beseech thee, let now thine ear be attentive to the prayer of thy servant..."
    .................................................. .................................................. ...Nehemiah 1:11a

All we know is that "marriage" (however Christ meant for that to be defined) won't exist anymore.

We don't know how, or even if, God might create a new equivalent to "sex" in the next age.

Quote Originally Posted by markedward View Post
    All we know is that "marriage" (however Christ meant for that to be defined) won't exist anymore.

We don't know how, or even if, God might create a new equivalent to "sex" in the next age.
    So another question would be, is the Male/Female relationship of sex, romance etc... going to be enhanced in the next life? Or is that part of the relationship going to be destroyed?

Blog Entries
    Just my two cents here...but since the bible points to the spiritual in all things I don't think we would desire sex or romance..those are more fleshly desires that we have here. Our bodies will be like Christ after He rose..transformed and perfect. We will be functioning at a level we can barely even image here. I think it'll be great.

God bless
    "People do not drift toward holiness. Apart from grace-driven effort, people do not gravitate toward godliness, prayer, obedience to Scripture, faith, and delight in the Lord. We drift toward compromise and call it tolerance; We drift toward disobedience and call it freedom; We drift toward superstition and call it faith. We cherish the indiscipline of lost self-control and call it relaxation; we slouch toward prayerlessness and delude ourselves into thinking we have escaped legalism; we slide toward godlessness and convince ourselves we have been liberated?" - D A Carson

Quote Originally Posted by moonglow View Post
    Just my two cents here...but since the bible points to the spiritual in all things I don't think we would desire sex or romance..those are more fleshly desires that we have here. Our bodies will be like Christ after He rose..transformed and perfect. We will be functioning at a level we can barely even image here. I think it'll be great.

God bless
    Couldn't you argue that sex(the way it was intended to be) is spiritual too? Its wanting to connect on a really deep level with somebody you love.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Heeves23 View Post
    Couldn't you argue that sex(the way it was intended to be) is spiritual too? Its wanting to connect on a really deep level with somebody you love.
    No. Sex is in the physical. Moonglow made an excellent point.

........ ... " LORD, I beseech thee, let now thine ear be attentive to the prayer of thy servant..."
    .................................................. .................................................. ...Nehemiah 1:11a

Quote Originally Posted by moonglow View Post

God bless
    This is an excellent post!! Like the song "I Can Only Imagine", how will we react when we see Christ?? I would imagine we would probably be in such awe at being in His presence that sex wouldn't even cross our minds. Just my also.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Liquid Tension View Post
    This is an excellent post!! Like the song "I Can Only Imagine", how will we react when we see Christ?? I would imagine we would probably be in such awe at being in His presence that sex wouldn't even cross our minds. Just my also.
    Yea that is kind of what I was thinking...sex in Heaven with Jesus there...that just doesn't jive at all... I think what we will be experiencing will make sex look extremely dull and boring..don't think it will even cross anyone's mind actually..

God bless
    "People do not drift toward holiness. Apart from grace-driven effort, people do not gravitate toward godliness, prayer, obedience to Scripture, faith, and delight in the Lord. We drift toward compromise and call it tolerance; We drift toward disobedience and call it freedom; We drift toward superstition and call it faith. We cherish the indiscipline of lost self-control and call it relaxation; we slouch toward prayerlessness and delude ourselves into thinking we have escaped legalism; we slide toward godlessness and convince ourselves we have been liberated?" - D A Carson

Quote Originally Posted by Heeves23 View Post
    I was reading about Jesus' statement to the Sadduccees that at the resurrection "people will niether marry nor be given in marriage, nolonger can they die, they will be like the angels in heaven," and there was an interpretation i read that i hadn't really thought about before. It said that Jesus was telling them that in Levrite marriage wouldnt continue in the resurrection. That is arranged marriages and things like perpetuating the species(the reason why she kept on remarrying her husbands brother) won't continue. They were saying that Jesus was basically telling the sadduccees, that in the resurrection the woman would be married to none of the siblings, not a statement on the ultimate relational state of a man and a woman in general. So i was wondering what you guys think of this? True i understand that the pleasures of heaven will be far greater than earthly pleasures, and that in heaven we may not even desire sex(which is what the majority of christians believe), but since we will have physical bodies(Jesus' resurrection body) sexual intercourse would be possible, but not a forsure thing obviously. I know the church is "the bride of Christ" so people say that "marriage" is an earthly illustration to what real marriage is with Christ and yeah i get that and that makes a whole lot of sense. But my question is this, Do you think that in heaven that intimacy or romance will be totally taken away? I know this is speculative(or a lot of people act like the answer is NO without a doubt) but how do you guys interpret the Bible when it comes to this? If Adam never sinned then everybody would have a wife and such... but then thats playing a game of "what ifs". Anyways what are your thoughts on this subject? By the way, i know its not THE END OF THE WORLD if there is no sex in heaven i am just wondering what your opinions are.
    "in heaven"
    "in the resurrection"
    is the same thing here -Spiritual -Heavenly

'will there be sex in heaven' -Spiritual -Heavenly
    'will there be sex in the resurrection' -Spiritual -Heavenly

To ask 'will there be sex in Heaven' is not even addressed because Heaven is a place, and one that descends to earth.
    Jesus was not asked
    who will be the husband in the place we call Heaven that descends to earth.
    He was asked
    who will be the husband when those involved in the situation are resurrected.

who will be the husband when those involved in the situation are spiritual or heavenly.
    Clearly, the glorified are not married.

In the time called 'the regeneration' (renewing/restoration of all things) there's a prophecy of Gentiles living in Israel and the children born unto them considered no different than the Israelites, concerning inheritance, but these and the tribes at that time are mortal having access to the tree of life.

Quote Originally Posted by karenoka27 View Post
    For animals sex is defenitely in the physical.... there is no other meaning behind it. But for humans sex is more than just a physical act. In heaven we will have physical tangible bodies even though they will be spiritual at the same time(Christs resurrection body was touched by Thomas). Sex with Jesus there? Why is that so unthinkable? Jesus created sex for reproduction and our enjoyment(song of solomon). Moonglow, yes heaven is something that "we can only imagine" but that doesn't rule out everything in this life too."

Blog Entries

If the Church is considered the Bride of Christ and there will be a marriage supper, then we will be married to Christ. Enough said.

Quote Originally Posted by karenoka27 View Post
    First, the act in and of itself was declared to be "good", and when viewed in tandem with the rest of creation, it was considered "very good".

Sex isn't strictly a "physical" or "fleshly" thing. It's a physical action, having both physical and spiritual purposes. The physical purposes: bodily pleasure and bearing children. The spiritual purposes: uniting Husband and Wife as one and glorifying God via that holy union.

Sex is used for distorted, fleshly, purely physical purposes by many people. But don't let that detract from its spiritual aspects. Besides, Scripture explicitly teaches that we will be resurrected in our physical, fleshly bodies, which will be made undying. If physicality was part of God's initial "very good" creation, and we will be resurrected into a redeemed physicality, then the fact that sex is (partially) a physical, fleshly act just can't be used as a reason for why it may no longer exist in the next age (regardless of what form it might take when redeemed/recreated/etc.).

Thread Information