cure-real

Thread: Trying to Read the Entire Bible in One Year.

Trying to Read the Entire Bible in One Year.

At the beginning of this year, I began working through the One Year Bible plan. To keep myself honest, I decided to blog about my daily readings and share it with my friends. This is my first time reading through the entire Bible. I have claimed Christianity as my faith for about fifteen years and I wanted to finally have some knowledge on the subject.

Through this process, I have found some things I didn't really like, especially in the Old Testament. The seemingly merciless wholesale slaughter of nations like the Midianites was wholly unacceptable in my mind. I have come to grips with these things and am starting to see the bigger picture, but was really shocked at how angry I was when first reading those things.
    Last edited by -SEEKING-; Sep 29th 2010 at 03:36 AM. Reason: Removing link.

Re: Trying to Read the Entire Bible in One Year.

So, then. What is it you learned about the "seemingly merciless wholesale slaughter of nations like the Midianites"?

If this is (still) a major stumbling block for you, we need to reason in the Spirit together, so that it no longer causes you to trip.

was this one of the New Year resolutions? I started reading New Testment a good while ago , thinking to read it through in a short time. Nope, didn't work like that Now I am just reading a little bit every day. If trying hard to understand it, it might get overwheliming. Therefore I read it and leave it to work itself in my life and heart.

Blog Entries

Well I heard on the radio that if you read your bible just 20 minutes a day you will read it in a year... Good luck with the reading!
    'Y'varekh'kha ADONAI v'yishmerekha.[May ADONAI bless you and keep you.]
    Ya'er ADONAI panav eleikha vichunekka.
    [May ADONAI make his face shine on you and show you his favor.]
    Yissa ADONAI panav eleikha v'yasem l'kha shalom.
    [May ADONAI lift up his face toward you and give you peace.]'

Bemidbar 6:24-26
    [Numbers 6:24-26]

Yearly Bibles are sold at Christian bookstores. A great idea, for whether or not one understands all he is reading, he is reading the Word. I sell bibles, and I have told
    many folks that you can read it however you like, just stay with a plan that keeps you centered on the yearly readings. The Yearly Bible I read was Dr. Charles Stanley's NKJV.
    It was like having a preacher guide me through it. I enjoyed it tremendously. The are other Yearly Bibles that have no comments, but with Jesus Christ, the HS and
    Dr. Stanley, we made a very good team! <><

I am trying to do this! I am struggling at times but I will succeed. If I miss a day I try and make it up the next day. I plan to re-read every year.

Blog Entries

Hi ImABeliever, I read through the Bible every year. I have been doing this for about 25 years. I've learned about some things that help me. I learned the pointers through failure and thanks to these I finish every year. Here's a link to blog posts I've written for Bible reading tips. There are two posts there, so read the one and keep scrolling down to the older one.

FYI, I'm about 6 days behind as I type this. I plan on catching up as soon as I quit messing around with Bible Forums this morning. It will take me a little over an hour-and-a-half to catch up. Hopefully I do all of it. If not, I'll at least catch up a few days and get more later. Even if I don't read my Bible on a day, I end up meditating on something Scriptural due to podcasts I listen to while driving or some other audio means. My main point would be not to let an schedule become a legalistic thing that drives you away from reading the Bible. That is one of my points in the blog posts.
    In essentials, unity; in non-essentials, liberty; in all things, charity. - unknown

Read your Bible and pray every single day. - Pastor Jon Courson

I tried to read the Bible in a year when I was 15....it took me 22 months.....a little longer than expected. So I have slowly the time it takes as I've grown.
    Matthew 10:39
    He that finds his life shall lose it: and he that loses his life for my sake shall find it.

Hi, I am new here. My mother and I read aloud around 3 chapters from the Bible every night, and we estimated that at that rate it takes between 9 - 12 months for us to read the entire Bible. Sometimes we may read two or four depending on how long the chapters are. It doesn't take a long time, feels like maybe ten minutes, and it is possible to absorb what you are reading at that pace.

Blog Entries

We may read the entire Bible in a year.

It takes a lifetime to STUDY.

DON'T get so caught up with a schedule that you find yourself doing more reading at the expense of understanding.

Blog Entries

I read through it every year. Have done it for ever since I got saved in 1986. Reading it through year after year you do get to know the Bible without trying. I'd encourage everyone to do it and having done it for 26 years, I have many tips on how to succeed and what to do when failing in order not to quit.
    In essentials, unity; in non-essentials, liberty; in all things, charity. - unknown

Read your Bible and pray every single day. - Pastor Jon Courson

I work full time at Bible college. I love the Word of God and read through the NT in just over a week in my off hours. I'm a few books into the old OT now. It's more than doable with a little time and work to read it several times in a year. God's Word does not return void so all we do is profit from studying and reading it all the time. God Bless.

I do not recommend this.

It is best to start with the gospel and make sure you have a complete grasp of Christ's message to you before you try and tackle the old testament. Christ will lighten your way through the rest of scripture.

Questions like the wholesale slaughter of the Midianites, as you put it, will be a lot clearer once you understand Christ. Remember that those that would do harm to God's chosen are visited with the vengence of the Lord. What would you do to protect your child from murderers?

Sorry to post here on a thread that hasn't been visited in almost a year, but I have a question about this. If you do decide to do this, in what order would you recommend reading the bible? I've read that some people are fond of front to back, others chronologically,some hopping back and forth between books....just wondering which method you guys think is best and why.

Thread Information