cure-real

Thread: My Daily Bible Study - Joshua(2)

My Daily Bible Study - Joshua(2)

Joshua (2)

Quote:- (David Pawson) “In Joshua we begin to see how the Law is worked out in practice . . . It is not widely known that Joshua was a prophet. It is true he is better known as a military commander, but he was a prophet just like Moses, in that he heard from God and spoke for God. . . Seeing the book as prophecy reminds us that the real hero of the book is not Joshua but God.”

Quote:- (Henry H. Halley) “Josephus says Joshua was 85 when he succeeded Moses, is thought to have been about 6 years subduing the land: and the rest of his life settling and governing the 12 tribes . . . he died at 110years, he was a great warrior (who) prayed and trusted God.”

Joshua 1

What does the text say? – The Lord told Joshua to lead the Israelites over the Jordan, saying He had given His people all the land from the Negev wilderness to the Lebanon mountains, and from the river Euphrates to the Mediterranean Sea, including all the land of the Hittites. He Promised to always be with Joshua as He was with Moses, and told him to be strong and courageous, studying the Book of the Law and meditate on it to be sure to obey everything Moses had written; then he would prosper and succeed, for the Lord God would be with him wherever he went. The fighting men from the tribes of Reuben, Gad and the ˝ tribe of Manessah promised to go over the Jordan and fight with the rest of the Israelites, and obey Joshua.

Application? – Am I strong and courageous in all I do as I obey the Lord, knowing He is with me? Do I think about what is written in God’s word day and night? Do I always obey Him?

Re: My Daily Bible Study - Joshua(2)

Joshua 2+3

What does the text say? – Joshua sent spies into the land God had Promised His people, 2 especially to Jericho. Those 2 men stayed with Rahab, a prostitute. The king of Jericho heard they were there and demanded that she give them up, but Rahab hid them on the roof under some flax, and said the men had gone out of the gate before it was shut at dusk. Rahab told the spies the people of that land were all afraid of the Israelites having heard how God dried up the Red Sea and enabled them to gain the land on the other side of the Jordan so, as she’d protected them, she asked that neither she nor any of her family would be harmed. The spies agreed providing all of them were in the house and a scarlet cord was hung from the window the spies would escape from and none of them said anything about the 2 spies. The spies stayed in the mountains for 3 days before returning to Joshua. The Israelites moved to camp by the Jordan where they consecrated themselves for 3 days before they followed about ˝ a mile behind the Ark; as the priests carrying it stepped into the river it stopped flowing some distance away at the town of Adam. The Lord told Joshua to have ready one man from each tribe. The priests with the Ark stayed where they were until all the people had crossed the river-bed opposite Jericho.

Application? – The Lord is willing to Save anyone who trusts and obeys Him, whatever their former lifestyle. Do I offer hospitality to the Lord’s people? When the Lord tells me to do something am I prepared to wait for His timing, or do I move at once? Do I obey every detail of His Instructions, even when they do not seem sensible? Do I expect the Lord to provide an easy journey for me? or am I willing to experience difficulties? (I expect the river bed they walked on was very muddy.)

Joshua 4+5

What does the text say? – About 40,000 men from the tribes of Reuben, Gad, and the ˝ tribe of Manasseh, ready for battle, led the Israelites over the Jordan. When all the people had crossed over the river the Lord told Joshua that 12 men – one from each tribe – must each take a large stone from the river bed to put where they would camp; the men went in front of the Ark with the stones. Then Joshua set up a pile of stones in the river bed where the priests had been standing.. So the Lord made Joshua great that day and the people revered him the rest of his life. As soon as the priests were out of the river bed the water returned and overflowed it’s banks again. Joshua made the 12 stones into a memorial at Gilgal to commemorate the Lord’s Power. None of the men had been circumcised, so flint knives were made for this purpose, then they stayed in camp until they were healed and celebrated Passover. Meanwhile the people between the Jordan and the Mediterranean were paralysed with fear. Near Jericho Joshua met a Man with a drawn sword, who said He was the Commander of the Lord’s army, and that Joshua must remove his sandals as he was standing on holy ground

Application? – Do I have reminders of when the Lord demonstrated His Power in my life? I cannot rely on my parent’s submission to the Lord for my Salvation, but must make my own commitment to Him – which may be painful in some way. Am I fighting in the Lord’s Army? Do I join the Lord in His battles against evil? Or just expect Him to fight my battles for me?

Joshua 6

What does the text say? – As the inhabitants of Jericho were afraid of the Israelites the gates were kept shut, no one going in or out. The Lord told Joshua he must lead the people as they marched round Jericho, in silence, once a day for 6 days, and 7 times on the 7th day; armed men were to go first, then 7 priests carrying trumpets, then the Ark, then the rest of the army. All the silver, gold, bronze and iron was to be collected for the Lord but no one was to touch anything else, as it was cursed. Each day they marched about 3 miles from Gilgal to Jericho, round it’s walls, and back to Gilgal. On the 7th day they marched round 7 times, then the priests blew the trumpets, the people shouted, and the walls fell down. The 2 spies took Rahab and her family to safety while everything - the people, their animals and possessions - were destroyed and the city burned. Joshua said the eldest son of the one who would re-build Jericho would die as the foundations were laid, and his youngest would die as the gates were hung. Joshua’s fame spread throughout the land.

Application? – Do I obey every detail of the Lord’s Instructions? Even when I cannot see any reason for them? Would I keep absolutely silent for a long time? (Gilgal was about 3 miles from Jericho and the city about 7 acres and they were presumably silent from the time they left Gilgal until they returned.)

Note:- (from Henry H. Halley) Dr John Garstang excavated the ruins from 1929 to 1936 and found the walls were double, about 15 feet apart, linked by houses at the top. He found under a thick layer of ash the ruins of store-rooms with an abundance of foodstuffs turned to charcoal by intense heat – indicating that the conquerors had, indeed, refrained from appropriating the food they may have thought they needed for survival.

http://www.answersingenesis.org/crea...i2/jericho.asp

Joshua 7

What does the text say? – But Achan had taken things form Jericho for himself, so when Joshua sent about 3,000 men to conquer Ai they were soundly beaten, and lost 38 men. Knowing the surrounding peoples would soon hear the Lord God had allowed them to be beaten, and attack His people, Joshua and the Elders were distraught and prostrated themselves before the Lord the rest of the day. The Lord told Joshua to get up and that they only had themselves to blame for the defeat, as His Will had been disregarded. Joshua told the people that next day they would have to pass before the Lord to determine who had Sinned. Next day as the people passed before Him the Lord indicated the tribe of Judah, then the family of the Zarites, in that family Zabdi, then his grandson Achan. Joshua begged Achan to tell the truth; then Achan confessed that he had taken a beautiful Babylonian garment, 200 shekels of silver and 50 shekels of gold, and had hidden them in his tent. The Israelites took Achan, all his family, animals and possessions to the Valley of Achor (trouble) and they stoned them to death, then covered them with a pile of stones.

Application? – Have I ever thought the Lord would take no notice of my ‘little’ Sin? What effect may my ‘little’ Sins have had on other people? What difficulties have I brought on myself because I have not obeyed the Lord in every way? I cannot overlook what the Lord does not Forgive without suffering in some way. God disciplines those who do not totally obey Him in every way.(the God of the Old Testament is the God of the New, and He hasn’t changed.) Even if I have not Sinned, if a member of my church has I may suffer as a result. . .

Joshua 8

What does the text say? – Then the Lord told Joshua not to be afraid or dismayed but to take all the fighting men with him to Ai as He was giving the city to them, they must kill everyone but may keep the animals and things of value. Joshua told 30,000 men to go by night to lie in ambush behind Ai, ready for his signal to attack. Next day he took the rest of the warriors and camped on the north of Ai with a valley between them, and sent 5,000 men to lie in ambush on the west of Ai. When the king of Ai led his people out against the Israelites Joshua and the men with him turned and ran away, drawing their enemy after them. Then the Lord told Joshua to stretch out his spear towards Ai, then those in ambush took the city an burned it, then the men of Ai became faint-hearted and were caught in a pincer movement by the Israelite army. All the people of Ai were killed – about 12,000 – but the animals and booty were kept. Joshua built an altar to the Lord God at Mount Ebal of whole, unshaped stones and made burnt and peace offerings. He wrote on the stones a copy of the Law of Moses, including all the Blessings and curses, then he read it out to the people; half of them were by Mt Ebal and half by Mt Gerazim.

Application? – The Lord will ensure I beat my enemies when I totally obey Him in every way. Am I prepared to wait for the Lord’s Instructions to move, or do I get in too much of a hurry and ruin His strategy? Do I destroy whatever the Lord commands me to? Or do I think my interpretation of His Love is better so disregard His Will? Do I constantly remind myself of all that is written in all of God’s Word? or only of those parts that speak of His Love and Compassion, and ignore His Judgments of Sin?

Joshua 9

What does the text say? – When the inhabitants of the land heard of the Israelite victory over Jericho and Ai they joined forces to fight against God’s people; but the Gibeonites were crafty and pretended they came from far away. They went to Joshua and the Elders of Israel and persuaded them to make a covenant with them, but the Israelites didn’t consult the Lord about the right course of action to take. 3 days later, when the deception was discovered, the Israelites couldn’t kill the Gibeonites because of the covenant they’d made, but made them their slaves to carry water and cut wood for them.

Application? – If I deliberately deceive anyone that deception will enslave me in some way. Do I keep all promises I make? As God would never break a promise He has made, what leads me to suppose He would approve if I break mine?

Joshua 10

What does the text say? - When the king of Jerusalem heard of the Israelite’s peace with Gibeon, and all their victories, he persuaded 4 other kings to join him in battle against Gibeon - which was a far greater city than Ai. The men of Gibeon sent word to Joshua asking for his help. Joshua and the fighting men of Israel went from Gilgal to Gibeon overnight, and surprised those attacking Gibeon. The Lord said He would give them victory, so they must not fear; as the Israelites chased those attacking Gibeon when, near Beth Horon, the Lord dropped large hail stones on their enemies that killed more men than the Israelites; and at Joshua’s word the sun and moon stood still for about a whole day until the battle was won. Then the Israelites returned to Gilgal. The 5 kings had hidden in a cave at Makkedah, so Joshua commanded the entrance of the cave be blocked with large stones and men left on guard while the rest continued pursuing their enemies; then the cave was opened, the kings killed and their bodies put back in the cave which was sealed with large boulders. That day Joshua attacked and destroyed Makkedah and it’s people, then Libnah, then Lachish. The next day the Israelites destroyed Eglon, Hebron, and Debir; so Joshua had conquered all the land from Kadesh Barnea to Gaza and all the country of Goshen as far as Gibeon because the Lord fought for Israel.

Application? – Do I always keep my promises? Do I protect those weaker than myself? Or only if it will benefit me in some way? Am I always certain of what the Lord is saying to me? Do I always act on His Word?

Archaeological Note from Henry H. Halley ;- In 1931 the Welcome Expedition found at Lachish a great layer of ash coinciding with Joshua’s time. In Debir an expedition (1926-28) found a deep layer of ashes, charcoal and lime, with indications of a terrible fire and cultural marks of Joshua’s time – everything beneath it Canaanite, and everything above it Israelite.

Joshua 11,12+13

What does the text say? – Joshua conquered the entire region, the hill country, the entire Negev, the whole area around Goshen, the western foothills, the Jordan valley, the mountains of Israel and the Galilean foothills. Their territory extended from the Mt. Halak in the south to the foot of Mt Hermon in the north. The war continued for a long time. The descendants of Anak living in the hill country of Hebron, Debir and Anab and their towns were completely destroyed. Then Joshua divided the land between the Israelites. In all 31 kings were defeated but there was much land still to be possessed.

Application? – I may have to fight enemies for a long time before I possess what the Lord has Promised me. Any of God’s enemies that I allow to remain in my life will prevent me receiving all the blessings He wants to give me. Do I help others to fight whatever prevents them enjoying the full freedom Christ bought for them? Do I ‘overlook’ my ‘little’ Sins? If so could I be my own worst enemy?

Joshua 14 - 21

What does the text say? – The land was divided as Moses had said it would be. Caleb reminded Joshua that Moses had promised him, 45 years previously, the land he had spied out because ‘he wholly followed the Lord God’, and he was still, at 85 years, as strong as he had been at 40. So Joshua gave Hebron, where the Anakim lived, to Caleb as his inheritance and he drove the Anakim out, then promised to give his daughter Achsah as wife to whoever conquered Debir; so his nephew Othniel became his son-in-law. Achsah persuaded her father to also give her some water, so he gave her the upper and lower springs too. 3 more cities of refuge were appointed and the Israelites gave Joshua the son of Nun Timnath Serah in the mountains of Ephraim and he lived there. The Levites were given cities and common land by all tribes – 48 cities in all – as they had no inheritance from the Lord. The Lord gave Israel all the land He had Promised to their fathers. Everything the Lord had said came to pass. The Tabernacle of meeting was set up at Shiloh

Application? – Do I always wholly follow the Lord in every way? Do I ask for what I need that is available? Do I always give away what the Lord tells me to? If I do not overcome ‘enemies’ (eg. every Sin and ungodliness) in my life I will always have to live with them. Do I remember to worship the Lord when things go well with me?

Joshua 22

What does the text say? – Joshua sent the warriors from Reuben, Gad, and Manesseh home to the other side of the Jordan telling them to share all the livestock, clothing, silver, gold, bronze and iron they had gained with the rest of their people. When those warriors reached the Jordan they built a big, impressive altar. When the rest of the Israelites heard of it they sent Phinehas, the priest, and a representative from each tribe, to confront those who had built it, before going to war against them, and asked why they’d rebelled against the Lord in this way. It was explained to them that they had not turned away from the Lord God, but were afraid that in the future the Israelites on the other side of the Jordan wouldn’t let their descendants worship God with them, thinking the Jordan was their boundary. The altar was not to sacrifice on, but as a memorial between them that they all worshipped the Lord God, and had the right to do so at His Sanctuary. When Phinehas and those with him heard this they were satisfied. The people of Gad and Reuben called the altar they had built ‘Witness’.

Application? – Can I always be relied on to keep a promise however hard it may be to do so? Have I made any provision for the spiritual welfare of myself and my descendants?

Joshua 23+24

What does the text say? – Many years passed in peace. Joshua was now very old and dying, he called the elders, leaders, judges, and officers together and he reminded them how the Lord God had fought for them and would continue to do so - as long as they obeyed Him in every way, then one man would chase 1,000 with Him. If they married into the nations of which remnants remained among them the Lord God would not drive the nations out, but would allow them to cause great distress to His people. All the good things the Lord had promised had come to pass, if they turned away from Him He would bring all the harmful things on them, and they would loose the land He had given them. Joshua reminded them of all the Lord had done for them from the time of Abraham’s father Terah, then he said they must choose who they would serve. As for Joshua and his family they would serve the Lord. The people said they would also serve the Lord God. Then Joshua told them to get rid of all their foreign gods. Joshua set up a Stone of Witness by the Tabernacle at Shechem as a witness of the people’s promise to serve the Lord God alone. Joshua died when he was 110 years old and was buried in the mountains of Ephraim; the bones of Joseph, that had been carried from Egypt, were buried at Shechem in the piece of ground Jacob had bought from the father of Shechem. Eleazar, the son of Aaron, died and was buried in a hill belonging to Phineas his son, in the mountains of Ephraim.

Application? – Do I always serve the Lord God as He desires, or do I serve myself? Could the difficulties I face be mainly due to my disobedience to the Lord? Do I call to mind all the things the Lord has done for me, and my ancestors over the years? How does my commitment to the Lord set me apart from those who don’t know Him, and how is it demonstrated in the life I lead?

Quote:- (Philip Keller- Predators in our Pulpits) “ The astonishing truth is that Christ calls us to sacrifice all relationships which in any way might diminish or deflect our undivided love and loyalty to Himself. . . Christ calls us to be a separate, called-out people who may have to repudiate our roots. He asks that we turn from the wicked ways which have become so grossly appealing to our people and turn instead to seek His enduring love and loyalty. This is no easy challenge in our contemporary world. For the Master calls us . . . to a life of wholesomeness, holiness, and purity of thought as well as action. He expects us to be different in a deep and distinct dimension of definite separation from our associates. He asks us to be willing to sacrifice social relationships in order to be devoted to His pure purposes, even at the cost of isolation. [Matt.10:28-42].”

Thread Information