cure-real
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Nazarite Vow, Drinking Wine and other “strong drink”

Blog Entries

Nazarite Vow, Drinking Wine and other “strong drink”

In the OT, God lays out the perimeters for taking a Nazarite Vow. What is this vow? What was required? Did Jesus adhere to the restrictions of the vow? Are we required to live by its restrictions?

Nazarite Vow: Numbers chapter 6.

Purpose: To set oneself apart for God for a period of time. Both men and women could and did do this. Most individuals, as seen in the scriptures regarding it, took the vow for a short period of time (a year or so). Others (Samson, John the Baptist) were Nazarites from conception.

Regulations of the vow:
    1. No wine or strong drink
    2. No vinegar from grapes/wine or from strong drink
    3. No grapes or raisins
    4. No products of the vine from kernels to husk
    5. No cutting of the hair
    6. No being defiled by a dead body (no touching)
    7. At end of vow, head is shaved and hair is sacrificed to God because it is holy

Did Jesus follow these standards even though there is no mention of him formally being a Nazarite? Luke 8:53-54 says he touched a dead girl to raise her from the dead. There are absolutely no verses that even suggest that he abstained from fermented wine. Edit: In fact, we have this verse that suggests that he did drink of the vine: Matthew 11:19 The Son of Man came eating and drinking, and they say, 'Here is a glutton and a drunkard, a friend of tax collectors and "sinners." ' But wisdom is proved right by her actions."

Are we required to live by its restrictions? I see nowhere that suggests that we are. Nor that the drinking of fermented beverages is a sin in itself but only being drunken. Similarly, eating is not a sin but gluttony is.

Re: Nazarite Vow, Drinking Wine and other “strong drink”

Well I would have to go with what you said. I think people get the idea that because He came out of Naaerth so they assume He took a vow, my 20 cents

Blog Entries

I've actually heard teachers actually teach that -- that everyone from Nazareth were Nazarites! Talk about jumping vast chasims to reach amazing conclusions!

Quote Originally Posted by Frecs View Post
    Regulations of the vow:
    1. No wine or strong drink
    2. No vinegar from grapes/wine or from strong drink
    3. No grapes or raisins
    4. No products of the vine from kernels to husk
    5. No cutting of the hair
    6. No being defiled by a dead body (no touching)
    7. At end of vow, head is shaved and hair is sacrificed to God because it is holy

Did Jesus follow these standards even though there is no mention of him formally being a Nazarite? Luke 8:53-54 says he touched a dead girl to raise her from the dead. There are absolutely no verses that even suggest that he abstained from fermented wine.

Are we required to live by its restrictions? I see nowhere that suggests that we are. Nor that the drinking of fermented beverages is a sin in itself but only being drunken. Similarly, eating is not a sin but gluttony is.

Wouldn't No.6 break the vow? So without having done any study on this, I don't think Jesus took the vow.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ClayInHisHands View Post
    Wouldn't No.6 break the vow? So without having done any study on this, I don't think Jesus took the vow.
    Exactly. If a Nazarite touched a dead body, they broke the vow. Thus, we see that Jesus could not have been adhering to this standard (officially or unofficially) as we do see that he touched at least one dead body to raise the girl from the dead.

Blog Entries

For specific discussions centered around the merits / restrictions / value of drinking wine (other then as relates to the vow) Be not drunk with wine... wine thread..

It is interesting to me, I have always wondered if adherence to the Nazarite Vow would actually make one a vegan.... unless you are eating live meat.

Make sense>?
    * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * ** * * * * ** * * * ** * *** * * * * ***** * * * * ** * * * * ** ** * *
    ~ * You get 10 'reps' to bless others with each day... don't log off until you have used them up......
    ....Live your life the same way.... ~ *

Please pray for the 'Persecuted Church'.

Bible Forums Vision: "To be a community of believers who are actively engaged in pursuing the truth of God as revealed in His Son Jesus Christ by way of studying the Scriptures diligently in order to discover this truth."

Blog Entries

....Uhmmmmm, I don't think He shaved His head?????
    The LORD is my Miracle

G_d was gracious He has shown favor

Hope is a seed
    God plants in our hearts
    to remind us
    there are better things ahead.
    -Holley Gerth

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Ta-An View Post
    ....Uhmmmmm, I don't think He shaved His head?????
    Yea, there IS that...
    * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * ** * * * * ** * * * ** * *** * * * * ***** * * * * ** * * * * ** ** * *
    ~ * You get 10 'reps' to bless others with each day... don't log off until you have used them up......
    ....Live your life the same way.... ~ *

Please pray for the 'Persecuted Church'.

Bible Forums Vision: "To be a community of believers who are actively engaged in pursuing the truth of God as revealed in His Son Jesus Christ by way of studying the Scriptures diligently in order to discover this truth."

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Amos_with_goats View Post
    It is interesting to me, I have always wondered if adherence to the Nazarite Vow would actually make one a vegan.... unless you are eating live meat.

Make sense>?
    Lo, makes NO sence to me at all ..... Howcome you say so Amozzzzzzzzzzzzz
    The LORD is my Miracle

Hope is a seed
    God plants in our hearts
    to remind us
    -Holley Gerth

Blog Entries

Because of the admonish to not be defiled by touching a dead body. Question is, does that mean any dead body or just human? Elsewhere, God does seem to include touching a dead animal as defiling to the body.

But, that would not necessarily take one to being a vegan. Ovo-lacto vegetarianism would probably fit the requires sufficiently.

There was a Jewish sect at the time of Jesus called the Essene. They were vegan. Some (gnostics especially) try to suggest that Jesus was Essene since he doesn't appear to be either Pharisee or Sadducee. Since Jesus ate fish and ate the Passover meals which include lamb, he was clearly not Essene.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Amos_with_goats View Post
    [FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3][COLOR=navy]

Make sense>?
    Mr Amozzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz, how can excluding fruit of the Vine make you a Vegan
    The LORD is my Miracle

Hope is a seed
    God plants in our hearts
    to remind us
    -Holley Gerth

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Ta-An View Post
    Mr Amozzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz, how can excluding fruit of the Vine make you a Vegan
    See my post #10....

In the OT, God lays out the perimeters for taking a Nazarite Vow. What is this vow? What was required? Did Jesus adhere to the restrictions of the vow? Are we required to live by its restrictions?
    Did Jesus follow these standards even though there is no mention of him formally being a Nazarite
    There are many places mentioned in our new testament letters and writings of Him being titled as a Nazarene,(note) but not as a vowed Nazarene.
    But, I do not myself think that applies here.

I personally see from new testament writings and letters that Jesus never had a 'notable' intention of filling the vows of a Nazarene, but I personally see Him filling those vows with out intent and maybe even doing it to teach those who look/search Him diligently. Again that is my personal belief drawn from my time spent behind Him.

Are we required to live by its restrictions?
    Absolutely not ! But, there is much to be learned from that vow !

Father bless.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by MoreMercy View Post
    There are many places mentioned in our new testament letters and writings of Him being titled as a Nazarene,(note) but not as a vowed Nazarene.
    But, I do not myself think that applies here.
    Please share these verses with me. I honestly am interested because I don't find them myself but that's not surprising....

I personally see from new testament writings and letters that Jesus never had a 'notable' intention of filling the vows of a Nazarene, but I personally see Him filling those vows with out intent and maybe even doing it to teach those who look/search Him diligently. Again that is my personal belief drawn from my time spent behind Him.
    So, you have special revelation on this subject that is not contained in scripture?

Absolutely not ! But, there is much to be learned from that vow !

Father bless.
    Indeed. I'm actually following a modified vow. The fruit of the vine is not as central to American life as it was to Jewish life of biblical times. But, chocolate....well, chocolate is one of the major food groups!

Please share these verses with me. I honestly am interested because I don't find them myself but that's not surprising....
    I use a KJV bible but only because of the additional recourses it affords to one who studies scripture the way I study.
    So, I will share that if your look up Nazarene or Nazarite in ALL of scripture and new testament writings in a KJ concordance.
    You should be able to find where He is titled as a Nazarene/Nazarite. (note) not taken a vow of a Nazarene, but just titled as a Nazarene.
    Also if you did not know: Early Christians were also titled Nazarenes by publicans/government officials, and or other peoples who desired to be slanderous of early Christians, but I think of that title as more of a blessing on them(early Christians) than their intent of slandering them.
    I am not much on claiming titles placed on me, unless Father titles me with that title. But, now that I am forced to think upon this, I would gladly accept the title of a Nazarene placed upon me by anyone...

So, you have special revelation on this subject that is not contained in scripture?
    I have a feeling that you are mocking me here with this question for your and or others amusement but I will still try to answer you...
    When I say: I hear, speak or learn from behind my Lord and master I mean: in summary that I try my best to only hear, speak or learn from what I see Him do and speak, as He only does and speaks what He see, hears, or learns from His Father.
    If I may be so bold as to proclaim that there are rivers of life flowing in me, this life came mostly from my feeding on Fathers word (note) not feeding on Fathers word for a specific answer or any specific knowledge on any specific subject. I just want ALL of what He and His Son have said that is recorded in our bibles, I want that food IN ME, so when the time comes that a specific Word of His is needed to cast a tree from out of my path, then I will already have that or those Words in me ready for His Holy Spirit to bring them to my rememberance to work Fathers will upon the earth, for as longs as I am allowed to reside here with my fellows.

Indeed. I'm actually following a modified vow. The fruit of the vine is not as central to American life as it was to Jewish life of biblical times. But, chocolate....well, chocolate is one of the major food groups!
    Good for you, and Amen.
    I will not inquire how anyone decide to reverence Him in their accessory curricular actions of worship and reverence, unless it is presented to me to be analyzed by the person who presents it to me. Those things abide between them and Him.

Father bless.

Thread Information