cure-real
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Questions from 1 & 2 Timothy

Exclamation Questions from 1 & 2 Timothy

This is a Question and Answer study of the Books of 1 & 2 Timothy to help keep us in the Word. It is not an in depth study but more of a set of questions to motivate each of us to read.

We will be using the ESV to get the questions from, so if the wording is different from what some of you may be reading, this is why.

Thank you all for following along!

Re: Questions from 1 & 2 Timothy

1 Timothy 1

Where did Paul tell Timothy to stay? And what did Paul command Timothy to do?

Finish the verse: "The aim of our charge is love,......"

Certain persons, by _______ from these, have wandered away into vain ______, desiring to be _____ of the ___,without understanding either what they are ______ or the things about which they make confident _______.

The law is not laid down for the just but for who?

Finish the verse: "The saying is trustworthy and deserving of full acceptance,......"

This charge I _____ to you, Timothy, my child, in accordance with the ______ previously made about you, that by ____ you may ___ the good ______,

1 Timothy 1

Where did Paul tell Timothy to stay? And what did Paul command Timothy to do? Paul told Timothy to remain at Ephesus so that he could charge certain persons not to teach any different doctrine and not to devote themselves to myths and endless genealogies. But charge does he mean in a court of lay or a physical charge?

Finish the verse: "The aim of our charge is love,......" that issues from a pure heart and a good conscience and a sincere faith.

Certain persons, by swerving from these, have wandered away into vain discussion, desiring to be teachers of the law, without understanding either what they are saying or the things about which they make confident assertions.

The law is not laid down for the just but for who? It is laid down for the unjust/lawless. (ect)

Finish the verse: "The saying is trustworthy and deserving of full acceptance,......" that Christ Jesus came into the world to save sinners, of whom I am the foremost.

This charge I entrust to you, Timothy, my child, in accordance with the prophecies previously made about you, that by them you may wage the good warfare,

By charge he meant the he urged them to do it.

1 Timothy 2

Finish the verse: "First of all, then, I urge that......"

What is it that God our Savior desires?

For there is one ___, and there is one ______ between ___ and __, the ___ Christ Jesus,

What was it that Paul desired for men to do?

For ____ was formed first, then ___;

1 Timothy 2

Finish the verse: "First of all, then, I urge that......" supplications, prayers, intercessions, and thanksgivings be made for all people

What is it that God our Savior desires? He desires all people to be saved.

For there is one God, and there is one mediator between God and men, the man Christ Jesus. Why does John refer to Christ as a man? i have not yet seen the bible say that until now so i am wonder why he choose to say that

What was it that Paul desired for men to do? He desired that in every place men would be pray, and lifting holy hands without anger or quarreling. He also desired woman to dress modesty.

Question: What does lifting of holy hands mean?
    Question 2: When he desired that in every place men would pray, was he speaking of the male gender or all of mankind? (i ask this because he then went on to talk about the female gender right after saying this)

For Adam was formed first, then Eve;

Quote Originally Posted by CupOfMilk View Post
    For there is one God, and there is one mediator between God and men, the man Christ Jesus. Why does John refer to Christ as a man? i have not yet seen the bible say that until now so i am wonder why he choose to say that
    Well simply stated Christ is a man. God became flesh. So whereas in the OT there were men, priests, who mediated between men and God, Jesus is The Ultimate Man, in heaven, who now intercedes for us. Does that make sense?

Question: What does lifting of holy hands mean?
    Question 2: When he desired that in every place men would pray, was he speaking of the male gender or all of mankind? (i ask this because he then went on to talk about the female gender right after saying this)
    To your first question about lifting holy hands, this is what I got from the ESV Study Bible.
    "1 Tim. 2:8 Then (or “therefore,” Gk. oun) resumes the call to prayer from v. 1. Lifting … hands is a typical posture for prayer in the Bible: see Ex. 9:29; 1 Kings 8:22; Ps. 28:2; 63:4; Isa. 1:15; Luke 24:50 (Jesus). By taking up the issues of 1 Tim. 2:8–15 immediately following vv. 1–7, Paul suggests that the way the church conducts itself in corporate worship (unity, modesty, proper submission) bears significantly on its effectiveness in world evangelization."

To your second question, I believe he is saying both of them. As you noted, he goes on to mention the women in the same paragraph.

1. If Jesus is a man, was he then in the begginging with the Father and the Holy Spirit when everything was made? or did his time begin as a man?

2. So its just saying not to be angry or quarreling when praying. (he was using the posture as an example)

3. I see, so in this verse he was first talking about male and female and the second part of it he is only speaking of the females, correct?

1. If Jesus is a man, was he then in the begginging with the Father and the Holy Spirit when everything was made? or did his time begin as a man?

2. So its just saying not to be angry or quarreling when praying. (he was using the posture as an example)

3. I see, so in this verse he was first talking about male and female and the second part of it he is only speaking of the females, correct?
    1. Well, Jesus the Man had a beginning, certainly. At his birth. However, if you remember in the study of John, it mentions specifically how God became Man. So the Deity of God existed, He simply came to earth in a human body.

2. Yes that's correct.

3. Well it's all encompassing really. You really can't separate on from the other.

From the online ESV Study Bible: "1 Tim. 2:8–10 the men should … likewise also that women. Paul addresses particular concerns in regard to each gender. The issue for men is anger and for women it is modesty and proper submission. not with … gold or pearls or costly attire. Paul is not prohibiting the wearing of jewelry (see note on 1 Pet. 3:3–4); the principle is that women should not dress ostentatiously or seductively, but in a way that is proper. True doctrine produces good works (see note on 1 Tim. 1:5)."

1 Timothy 3

What are the requirements mentioned in order to be an overseer?

Finish the verse: Deacons likewise must be dignified,......"

______ likewise must be ______, not double-tongued, not ______ to ____ wine, not _____ for dishonest ___.

Finish the verse: "For those who serve well as deacons......"

What is the mystery of Godliness?

1 Timothy 3

What are the requirements mentioned in order to be an overseer? An overseer must be above reproach, the husband of one wife,sober-minded, self-controlled, respectable, hospitable, able to teach, not a drunkard, not violent but gentle, not quarrelsome, not a lover of money. An overseer also must manage his household well and be a convert for a while before becomming an overseer.

I didn't really understand the reason given why a newer convert couldn't be a overseer, could you explain this more to me.

Finish the verse: Deacons likewise must be dignified,......" not double-tongued, not addicted to much wine, not greedy for dishonest gain.

Their wives likewise must be dignified, not slanderers, but sober-minded, faithful in all things.

Finish the verse: "For those who serve well as deacons......" gain a good standing for themselves and also great confidence in the faith that is in Christ Jesus.

What is the mystery of Godliness? The mystery of Godliness is He (Jesus) was manifested in the flesh, vindicated by the Spirit, seen by angels, proclaimed among the nations, believed on in the world, taken up in glory.

I didn't really understand the reason given why a newer convert couldn't be a overseer, could you explain this more to me.
    No big deal really. It's a matter of the person having some life experiences and matured in the faith before given too much responsibility. Making sure that person is standing firm on the faith is first.

I see, thanks for the help!

1 Timothy 4

Now the ______ expressly says that in ____ ____ some will depart from the _____ by devoting themselves to ______ spirits and ______of demons,

Finish the verse: "For everything created by God is good,......"

Finish the verse: "If you put these things before the brothers,......"

Paul tells Timothy that bodily training has some value, what has greater value?

What did Paul instruct Timothy to devote himself to until he got there?

Keep a close watch on ______ and on the ______. Persist in this, for by so doing you will ____ both ______ and a your _____.

1 Timothy 4

Now the Spirit expressly says that in later times some will depart from the faith by devoting themselves to deceitful spirits and teachings of demons,

Finish the verse: "For everything created by God is good,......" and nothing is to be rejected if it is received with thanksgiving,

Finish the verse: "If you put these things before the brothers,......"you will be a good servant of Christ Jesus, being trained in the words of the faith and of the good doctrine that you have followed.

Paul tells Timothy that bodily training has some value, what has greater value? godliness training has greater value then bodily training (what is bodily training?
    What did Paul instruct Timothy to devote himself to until he got there? Paul told Timothy to devote himself to the public reading of Scripture, to exhortation, to teaching.

Keep a close watch on yourself and on the teaching. Persist in this, for by so doing you will save both yourself and your hearers.

Thread Information