cure-real
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: How do you help anti-religious people believe in God?

How do you help anti-religious people believe in God?

Iíve read a bit about how to turn people towards Jesus and Christianity. Everything I read assumes that the person actually believes in God to begin with though. Getting someone to believe in God is a huge step for most people. How can we help people make that step?

The reason I ask is because my parents are both proud atheists. They think religion is stupid and that that itís sad that people have to believe in ďsomething that isnít even realĒ to be happy. As you can imagine, we have some interesting discussionsÖ They say itís ridiculous to believe in a being who lives in the sky who you can talk to. Iíve tried many times to explain my reasons for believing in God. I explain to them how their views of God ďliving in the skyĒ are wrong, and about his loving nature. I often talk about the origin of the universe and other such things as well but nothing will sway them. Theyíre very closed minded and my guess is that they donít want to believe in God.

A funny thing happened a while ago; I was talking to my aunt and my mother about death. This was the first religious discussion Iíve ever had with my aunt. She was telling us about how she was present when a loved one of hers died. She explained how shortly after they died everyone in the room felt a huge spiritual vacuum, even those who were not religious. When they mentioned it to a nurse in the hospital she said that a lot of people experience the same thing. We then went on to discuss how we werenít afraid of death because we trust God etc. This whole religious discussion made my mother visibly uncomfortable. I wonder whether she saw some truth in what we were saying. At least that would be a starting point.

So back to my original question, how do you help someone adopt a belief in God when they are anti-religion?

Blog Entries

Re: How do you help anti-religious people believe in God?

Be a witness, but don't be pushy. It's God who does the work, you simply present the message.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Xel'Naga View Post
    Be a witness, but don't be pushy. It's God who does the work, you simply present the message.
    Pretty much what I was going to say. Be a reflection of Jesus to them in your actions even more than your words. Make them want to know what you have that they don't. The biggest problem Christians have with evangelism today is our daily lives are not that much different than non-Christians. Our lives and actions do not make non-Christians curious to have what we have.

I would only add one thing. Let the Gospel you present be not only in word but in deed as well. In other words, let your life reflect the message you proclaim.

1Pe 3:1 Likewise, wives, be subject to your own husbands, so that even if some do not obey the word, they may be won without a word by the conduct of their wives,
    1Pe 3:2 when they see your respectful and pure conduct.
    In His Service,

Nomad

Got questions about Reformed theology? Want solid Biblical answers without all of the usual nastiness, mud slinging and straw-man portraits of Reformed Theology found in public forums? Then ask a Calvinist.

Ask a Calvinist

http://abidingtruth.wordpress.com/

Warranted Faith - Reformed Apologetics & Theology

When the people who are closest to us (i.e. Parents, family, spouses, close friends) aren't believers, I believe that even more so than others, every thing you say, every thing you do, every choice you make becomes a witness to that day on Calvery. These are the people who know us best, and as such, they are uniquely qualified to note the difference that being a Christian makes in our life. Remember, these are the people who changed your diapers, nursed your skinned knees, put up with all of your teenaged nonsense. In their minds it Wes their job to teach you right from wrong, so accepting your witness about Jesus represents quite a roll reversal for them.

Let the way you live your life be your greatest witness; your behavior, the words you choose, the way you give to others, what you say to the policeman that pulls you over, how you file your taxes - these are all as much a witness as what you say when you think that you are in witnessing mode.

And pray for them. Pray for God to show them the way. Pray that you may be used as a tool in His work with them. Pray that they will know His love as we do.

I'll pray for you and your folks. God Bless
    "The greatest single cause of atheism in the
    world today is Christians, who acknowledge Jesus
    with their lips then walk out the door and deny
    Him by their lifestyles. That is what
    an unbelieving world simply
    finds unbelievable."

~ Brennan Manning

Quote Originally Posted by Max Power View Post
    I’ve read a bit about how to turn people towards Jesus and Christianity. Everything I read assumes that the person actually believes in God to begin with though. Getting someone to believe in God is a huge step for most people. How can we help people make that step?
    So back to my original question, how do you help someone adopt a belief in God when they are anti-religion?
    I think sometimes it may take nothing less than a catastrophic event to get some people's attention - and even then it is no sure bet they will come around. The simple fact is some people are going to refuse to believe in God - no matter what. I would say it must either be a pride issue or a rebellion issue.

God will decide if they see or not , we are told by Jesus that not all are going to believe.

Luke 12
    Not Peace but Division

49“I have come to bring fire on the earth, and how I wish it were already kindled! 50But I have a baptism to undergo, and how distressed I am until it is completed! 51Do you think I came to bring peace on earth? No, I tell you, but division. 52From now on there will be five in one family divided against each other, three against two and two against three. 53They will be divided, father against son and son against father, mother against daughter and daughter against mother, mother-in-law against daughter-in-law and daughter-in-law against mother-in-law.”

<< John 6:45 >>

New International Version (©1984)
    It is written in the Prophets: 'They will all be taught by God.' Everyone who listens to the Father and learns from him comes to me.
    Luke 6

41ďAnd why worry about a speck in your friendís eye when you have a log in your own? 42How can you think of saying, ĎFriend, let me help you get rid of that speck in your eye,í when you canít see past the log in your own eye? Hypocrite!
    First get rid of the log in your own eye; then you will see well enough to deal with the speck in your friendís eye.

Jesus Christ son of God have mercy on us

Quote Originally Posted by Frecs View Post
    Pretty much what I was going to say. Be a reflection of Jesus to them in your actions even more than your words. Make them want to know what you have that they don't. The biggest problem Christians have with evangelism today is our daily lives are not that much different than non-Christians. Our lives and actions do not make non-Christians curious to have what we have.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nomad View Post

I would only add one thing. Let the Gospel you present be not only in word but in deed as well. In other words, let your life reflect the message you proclaim.

1Pe 3:1 Likewise, wives, be subject to your own husbands, so that even if some do not obey the word, they may be won without a word by the conduct of their wives,
    1Pe 3:2 when they see your respectful and pure conduct.
    I completely agree with you all on that. The trouble is that it doesnít affect my parents one bit. Obviously Iím not perfect, but I try my best to lead by example. They see the beliefs that I live by as weird though. Iíve often talked about forgiveness and things, and they canít even comprehend it in some instances. They think itís stupid, especially in extreme cases. There are many other things they think of as stupid and weird too. But leading by example, in my opinion, is simply a way to lead someone into Christianity. In my parents case it wonít help them to adopt a fundemental belief in God.

Quote Originally Posted by Gypsy View Post
    When the people who are closest to us (i.e. Parents, family, spouses, close friends) aren't believers, I believe that even more so than others, every thing you say, every thing you do, every choice you make becomes a witness to that day on Calvery. These are the people who know us best, and as such, they are uniquely qualified to note the difference that being a Christian makes in our life. Remember, these are the people who changed your diapers, nursed your skinned knees, put up with all of your teenaged nonsense. In their minds it Wes their job to teach you right from wrong, so accepting your witness about Jesus represents quite a roll reversal for them.

Let the way you live your life be your greatest witness; your behavior, the words you choose, the way you give to others, what you say to the policeman that pulls you over, how you file your taxes - these are all as much a witness as what you say when you think that you are in witnessing mode.
    I totally agree. I donít know how to help them accept Jesus without first accepting God though. Theyíre both very scientific. And while thereís nothing wrong with that, it has blinded them into only believing in what science can prove. In their view there is no evidence of God, heaven, souls or anything spiritual what so ever. Therefore it's all fantacy. They believe in the physical universe and thatís it. Just what they can see and touch. How on earth can they go from that to accepting God?

Quote Originally Posted by Bandit View Post
    I think sometimes it may take nothing less than a catastrophic event to get some people's attention - and even then it is no sure bet they will come around. The simple fact is some people are going to refuse to believe in God - no matter what. I would say it must either be a pride issue or a rebellion issue.
    I agree with you. Sometimes I think theyíll always refuse God no matter what. Itís sad. I believe it could have a lot to do with pride or rebellion, as you said. They see religion as repressive. I also believe it has a lot to do with arrogance. Theyíre satisfied with their own perceived superiority and importance. They want humans to be the greatest beings in existence, not God.

Quote Originally Posted by Sinful Hypocrite View Post
    God will decide if they see or not , we are told by Jesus that not all are going to believe.

Luke 12
    Not Peace but Division

49ďI have come to bring fire on the earth, and how I wish it were already kindled! 50But I have a baptism to undergo, and how distressed I am until it is completed! 51Do you think I came to bring peace on earth? No, I tell you, but division. 52From now on there will be five in one family divided against each other, three against two and two against three. 53They will be divided, father against son and son against father, mother against daughter and daughter against mother, mother-in-law against daughter-in-law and daughter-in-law against mother-in-law.Ē

<< John 6:45 >>

New International Version (©1984)
    It is written in the Prophets: 'They will all be taught by God.' Everyone who listens to the Father and learns from him comes to me.
    Very interesting! That quote describes the situation in my family perfectly. Mother against son, mother against sonís girlfriend, brother against brother.

Blog Entries

First, you can't make anyone believe anything or accept anything. Only the Holy Spirit can.
    Second, stop throwing your pearls into the pig pen. You know they aren't going to receive anything "religious" you say. Stop saying it. Stop talking about your faith. Stop talking about "forgiveness" or any other religious concept. Just Stop. Either they are going to see something in you that they want or they aren't. Either they will respond to the Holy Spirit's call or they won't. You can't force it.

I agree that it can't be forced. All I've ever done is explain my beliefs to them, leaving things open for them to think about. It's foolish to try and force beliefs on people. At times my explanations have been simply in defence of their condescending mockery though.

Blog Entries

I wouldn't grace their condescension with a response. I find that those who are really strongly antagonistic toward Christianity like to put us on the defensive. We don't need to take their bait.

You Love them !

I have many, many, many "anti-religious spirited" friends and I am very, very, very proud of that fact; that I do have those friends.
    And, I also do everything in my reach to keep them as friends !
    I forebear all things from them !
    I even intreat them !
    I even spend my pearls on them when I see a spark of truth in their eye coming from my sharing
    'my reborn' love of them, with them.

Because I see their "anti-religious spirit" not coming from their inner man. But, I see hunger and nakedness and poverty in their innerman and I have the deepest of all of my deep compassions for them, because I know that attitude of "anti-religious spirit" came from their observance of Father's disobedient children and those childrens works.
    And do not see their "anti-religious spirit coming" from their observance of the Spirit of light and truth of Christ and Christ's works.

Father teaches in His written word and also His Living Word also taught that: We/ALL of us; sinners, saved, lost and found, we are ALL His children... Some obedient children, some disobedient children and some lost children.
    But, ALL are His children, children.

Know a tree by its fruit children.
    Father bless.

God has declared that these are not telling the truth. Rom 1:18-23 John 3:19-20

God has declared that every man knows. John 1:1-13 esp vs 9.

For the cause of Christ
    Roger

Quote Originally Posted by Frecs View Post
    I wouldn't grace their condescension with a response. I find that those who are really strongly antagonistic toward Christianity like to put us on the defensive. We don't need to take their bait.
    I suspect you're right. They often come out with remarks and views on Christianity and God that are blatantly wrong though, and it's very hard not to correct them, lol.

Quote Originally Posted by MoreMercy View Post
    You Love them !

I have many, many, many "anti-religious spirited" friends and I am very, very, very proud of that fact; that I do have those friends.
    And, I also do everything in my reach to keep them as friends !
    I forebear all things from them !
    I even intreat them !
    I even spend my pearls on them when I see a spark of truth in their eye coming from my sharing
    'my reborn' love of them, with them.

Because I see their "anti-religious spirit" not coming from their inner man. But, I see hunger and nakedness and poverty in their innerman and I have the deepest of all of my deep compassions for them, because I know that attitude of "anti-religious spirit" came from their observance of Father's disobedient children and those childrens works.
    And do not see their "anti-religious spirit coming" from their observance of the Spirit of light and truth of Christ and Christ's works.
    I donít have anything against them for their beliefs. I just wish for their sake that they could see what I see. I feel sorry for them.

Quote Originally Posted by MoreMercy View Post
    Father teaches in His written word and also His Living Word also taught that: We/ALL of us; sinners, saved, lost and found, we are ALL His children... Some obedient children, some disobedient children and some lost children.
    But, ALL are His children, children.
    Agreed!

Quote Originally Posted by notuptome View Post
    God has declared that every man knows. John 1:1-13 esp vs 9.
    I sometimes think that way deep down my parents do know the truth, even if theyíre not actually aware of it. I think thatís why conversations like the one I had with my aunt that I wrote about above make them uneasy.

Quote Originally Posted by Max Power
    I totally agree. I don’t know how to help them accept Jesus without first accepting God though. They’re both very scientific. And while there’s nothing wrong with that, it has blinded them into only believing in what science can prove. In their view there is no evidence of God, heaven, souls or anything spiritual what so ever. Therefore it's all fantacy. They believe in the physical universe and that’s it. Just what they can see and touch. How on earth can they go from that to accepting God?
    He becomes real to them in you. Remember, these are likley the people who know you best in this world. They've seen you through all your phases and growing pains - remember that fuzzy little goatee that you thought made you look manly? Or, something along those lines, we all go through a phase where we think that we know better than our parents. We rebel arbitrarily from whatever they say. That rebellion is perceivable to them and dismissed as part of development. They probably view your disagreement as an extension of that. That the difference which comming to Jesus has made in your life is real and not simply another phase, will eventually become undeniably evident to them.

I think it's interesting that they would describe themselves as atheists as a function of science as I've always thought that the fashionable scientific position was agnosticism. Most scientists will at least recognize that there is a lack of empirical evidence either way. This may provide a starting point for conversation, but I maintain that your most effective intervention is prayer and living your own life in a Godly way.
    "The greatest single cause of atheism in the
    world today is Christians, who acknowledge Jesus
    with their lips then walk out the door and deny
    Him by their lifestyles. That is what
    an unbelieving world simply
    finds unbelievable."

~ Brennan Manning

Thread Information