cure-real

Thread: How to pray for those who hurt you?

Question How to pray for those who hurt you?

I'm currently having issues with some important people in my life and it's causing me a lot of hurt. I want to pray for those people because Jesus said praying for people who hurt you is a major part of loving them. But I don't know how to pray for them. Can anyone help me with this?

Blog Entries

Re: How to pray for those who hurt you?

First of all, forgive them.....then you will find it easy to pray for them without the unforgiveness in your heart.
    Come unto me all that labor and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest. Matthew 11:28

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Stephie View Post
    I'm currently having issues with some important people in my life and it's causing me a lot of hurt. I want to pray for those people because Jesus said praying for people who hurt you is a major part of loving them. But I don't know how to pray for them. Can anyone help me with this?
    Well....I'd say first talk to God about how you feel about them. Be honest--He already knows. Something happens when we go to Daddy and tell Him that so-and-so is a total poophead (you can use more colorful language if you want ). Daddy will help you work out the emotions. Then, choose to forgive them. Forgiveness is a choice. THEN, after you have forgiven them...ask God to let you see them the way God sees them and pray for them accordingly.

Dear Stephie,

I could relate to how you feel. It is really wonderful that you have decided to take the route of prayer. It takes a lot of guts to do that. It is not easy to do. Our mind asks why we should even bother because they are not going to change, or why WE should be the one to forgive if we did nothing wrong. Anger and bitterness can make their permanent home in our hearts when we don't forgive. Anger and bitterness take up a lot of space and there is not much room for peace. These emotions are also really bad for stress and manifest on the physical body as well. But how do you let go? Fear knocks on our door and says if we forgive we will be looked upon as pushovers and they will do it again and again. We were not meant to be doormats. This fear makes us forget that God is our protector and avenger. As you pray to God perhaps it will help if you verbalize your feelings as Frecs so wisely put it, then release this person from owing you an apology (which is one way of looking at forgiveness). You might have to repeat this exercise over and over until it "sets in". Then maybe you can quote Romans 8:28 "God works in all things for the good." Choose to see how through this experience you will draw closer to God.
    JDS

Blog Entries

You have been given some good advice already. I use the following verses to help me when I need to pray for someone who has hurt me: Mat 5:44 But I say unto you, Love your enemies, bless them that curse you, do good to them that hate you, and pray for them which despitefully use you, and persecute you. Mat 6:14 For if ye forgive men their trespasses, your heavenly Father will also forgive you: Mat 6:15 But if ye forgive not men their trespasses, neither will your Father forgive your trespasses.

If I don't know how to pray for them I ask God to show me how and until He does I pray for God's will to be done in their lives. I try to find one good thing to do for them everytime I see them. I try to find one way to bless them everytime I see them. Also as others have said I choose to forgive them letting go of any need to payback on them, receiving an apology from them, etc. I may not always be able to do something to bless them or do good to them but I try even if it is just a smile or a "how are you?" Now, at first, I am ONLY doing this to honor God as my heart and mind are still trying to forgive them but I have found when you choose to honor God in this then He gets in amongst it and, in time, helps you to totally and freely forgive them and let it go.

And as other posters have said there is nothing wrong with telling God how you feel as He already knows.

Pray that God will bring conviction on them and show them the error of their way.
    [Whacks me on head with hat when I misbehave]

"What then? ſhal we ſinne, becauſe we are not vnder the Law, but vnder grace? God forbid."

Romaines vi.15 - 1560 Geneva Bible

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Gilligan View Post
    Pray that God will bring conviction on them and show them the error of their way.
    And, where do you get that from? What passage of scripture says that that is how we are to pray for those who have hurt us?

Blog Entries

This has been an issue for me because I was afraid my prayers were not honest-I was so hurt and angry at a family member-they had done awful things.I have finally just decided to pray honestly that GOD brings them to him,that they be saved and no longer want to hurt people.I know that is an honest prayer.Hope that helps.GOD bless
    Praising GOD for his mercy and grace!!

Maybe someone can shed light on this thought, but to me if one is angry with the person who hurt them, praying that God will bless them would be phony. Same with ourselves blessing those who hurt us.
    [Whacks me on head with hat when I misbehave]

"What then? ſhal we ſinne, becauſe we are not vnder the Law, but vnder grace? God forbid."

Romaines vi.15 - 1560 Geneva Bible

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Gilligan View Post
    Maybe someone can shed light on this thought, but to me if one is angry with the person who hurt them, praying that God will bless them would be phony. Same with ourselves blessing those who hurt us.
    Which is why I said to first pray about one's feelings. Essentially--confessing our sin of having bad feelings toward this person.
    Then, we forgive them.
    Then, we are freely about to honestly pray for the person to receive God's blessings.

Thread Information