cure-real
Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Wouldn't it be nice...

Blog Entries

Wouldn't it be nice...

If Bible Chat were about the Bible instead of Theology? If we could talk about the Bible rather than throw theological mud in every other thread? If we could live up to Titus 3:9: "But avoid foolish controversies and genealogies and strife and disputes about the Law, for they are unprofitable and worthless." ? If we could pay attention to 1 Timothy 6:4, which says "he is conceited and understands nothing; but he has a morbid interest in controversial questions and disputes about words, out of which arise envy, strife, abusive language, evil suspicions"?

Wouldn't it be great if we got our BIBLE Chat back and got rid of Theology Chat? I've come so close to leaving this board for this very reason. There is no joy for me in participating in Bible Chat anymore because the above Scriptures are not heeded. The only threads that get attention are the theologically controversial or interesting ones, whereas threads about actual Scriptures are discarded, ignored, and passed over. So so sad. But it's the reason that I hardly ever post anything in this forum anymore.
    Who have I in heaven but You oh God? Besides You, I desire nothing here on earth. My heart and my flesh may fail me, but God will be the strength of my heart and my portion forever...as for me, the nearness of God is my good - Psalm 73:25-26, 28a

Check out my new blog at pilgrimtozion.blogspot.com

Re: Wouldn't it be nice...

Well said my friend. I'll stop by later and give you a proper response. I'm being monitored this morning.

I cut way back on posting because I fell into disobeying that very verse too many times to count. What works for me, is to post in sections where debate is discouraged. I will occasionally post in biblechat. But if I start a thread, it's almost always in a section where discussion is OK, but debate is not. Works great most of the time!
    Matt 9:13
    13 "But go and learn what this means: ' I DESIRE COMPASSION,AND NOT SACRIFICE,' for I did not come to call the righteous, but sinners."
    NASU

So start a thread about a bible topic.
    As for Me, this is My covenant with them," says the LORD: "My Spirit who is on you, and My words that I have put in your mouth, will not depart from your mouth, or from the mouth of your children, or from the mouth of your children's children, from now on and forever," says the LORD.

Isaiah 59:21

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Fenris View Post
    So start a thread about a bible topic.
    Oh, I did. Sadly, hardly anybody replied. Hardly anybody ever does.
    Who have I in heaven but You oh God? Besides You, I desire nothing here on earth. My heart and my flesh may fail me, but God will be the strength of my heart and my portion forever...as for me, the nearness of God is my good - Psalm 73:25-26, 28a

Check out my new blog at pilgrimtozion.blogspot.com

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Pilgrimtozion View Post
    If Bible Chat were about the Bible instead of Theology? If we could talk about the Bible rather than throw theological mud in every other thread? If we could live up to Titus 3:9: "But avoid foolish controversies and genealogies and strife and disputes about the Law, for they are unprofitable and worthless." ? If we could pay attention to 1 Timothy 6:4, which says "he is conceited and understands nothing; but he has a morbid interest in controversial questions and disputes about words, out of which arise envy, strife, abusive language, evil suspicions"?

Wouldn't it be great if we got our BIBLE Chat back and got rid of Theology Chat? I've come so close to leaving this board for this very reason. There is no joy for me in participating in Bible Chat anymore because the above Scriptures are not heeded. The only threads that get attention are the theologically controversial or interesting ones, whereas threads about actual Scriptures are discarded, ignored, and passed over. So so sad. But it's the reason that I hardly ever post anything in this forum anymore.
    Oh, it would! It would indeed! It would be nice to discuss scripture without a bloodbath. Which is why I often start threads in Growing in Christ but then when a discussion actually gets going, a MOD decides it's a "debate" and moves it over here.... Is it not possible to talk--even when disagreeing but just talking--about scripture without it having to go to blows? I can't tell you how many times I start to say something and then don't because I know I'll get beat down and kicked to the curb for it....should not be that way...just shouldn't....

Blog Entries

Pilgrim, you speak for me too. I had exactly the same idea of leaving because of this state of affairs
    "I am come that they might have life, and that they might have it more abundantly."

in all your ways acknowledge Him, and he will make your paths straight.

Many are the afflictions of the righteous; But Jehovah delivereth him out of them all.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Brother Mark View Post
    I cut way back on posting because I fell into disobeying that very verse too many times to count. What works for me, is to post in sections where debate is discouraged. I will occasionally post in biblechat. But if I start a thread, it's almost always in a section where discussion is OK, but debate is not. Works great most of the time!
    Here's what I've noticed. Start a thread talking against the doctrine of the Trinity in Bible Chat and you will get a debate that will go on until Christ returns. Start a thread in Growing in Christ on the Trinitarian Attribute of God and no one response...period. Oh, no, I got one response from Seeking saying it was a good post. Really? That's it? No one has a word to say unless they can debate it? Sad. Very very sad. Got very little response to the other posts of Attributes of God. Seems to me that if you want responses from people on this board, you better do so in a way where the bloodbath can commence.....

Blog Entries

I think that would be impossible since the Bible is a Theological book. Not a systematic theology book, but it does contain a lot of theology and is the basis for a lot of theology. So to discuss the Bible divorced from theology seems impossible to me.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Br. Barnabas View Post
    I think that would be impossible since the Bible is a Theological book. Not a systematic theology book, but it does contain a lot of theology and is the basis for a lot of theology. So to discuss the Bible divorced from theology seems impossible to me.
    well yes but i think what is meant by theology. The discussion on psalm 100 is also theological but it differs from things like the theology that you see in discussions like 'creation vs evolution debate.' what we are saying is that we prefer the psalm 100 kind of discussion. We dont worry about 'your theology' or 'my theology' and who is right. We are more concerned with 'what can we learn from this'
    "I am come that they might have life, and that they might have it more abundantly."

Many are the afflictions of the righteous; But Jehovah delivereth him out of them all.

Quote Originally Posted by Br. Barnabas View Post
    Agreed.

Furthermore, the Titus quotes are always pulled out when someone tires of a differing opinion. Who ever applies Titus & Timothy to themselves though? Nobody, that's who. I've had Titus shoved in my face for questions of the utmost importance to my life view.

Who gets to decide which discussions are "foolish"?

It was the same in Paul's day - too many self-appointed theological "experts" who are more interested in pridefully expounding "their" theology than leading people to a pure, simple, devotion to the Lord. Discussions about the Bible are great, especially if humble, knowledgable, Spirit-led people are involved. But unfortunately, these kinds of discussions invite all kinds of aberrant, abrasive viewpoints.

In a place of praying hard and trusting God while battling on my knees!
    Blog Entries

Well, I'll say it then... someone has to go into those theological threads and speak the TRUTH of the Bible. Even when that truth is attacked or ignored, it's in there and how people allow the Holy Spirit's leaven for goodness or they allow the theology to leaven to badness... is up to them.

Such posts that are ignored, the leaven is still hidden in the thread and the Holy Spirit can still do His work. That's all that is important.
    Slug1--out

~Does Predestination mean: Once of the devil, Always of the devil?~

~Limitations in a Christianís life are due to limited prayer and limiting obedience~

~Forgiveness has nothing to do with forgetting that moment... it's all about freedom FROM that moment.~

~Your needs activate God's compassion and faith activates God's power~

~Three minutes is a lifetime, if you only have two, too live~

Blog Entries

Anyone is of course welcome to participate wherever you want and debate and battle it out all you like but you wont find me there. I will continue to participate in threads that are pure discussion threads. Not saying that to be silly. Just saying thats what i prefer

Blog Entries

Here is how I look at Bible chat. We can find on the Internet discussions about car repair, computer repair, software updates and etc. Folks like me read these discussions because I have the same question about my car or computer, that someone else has and since they already asked it, I can benefit from reading the answer. I think Bible chat is like that. It is a place where people with questions about particular Bible passages can come to find answers to their questions. What does the passage say, and what does it mean, and what implications does it have for how I am supposed to live?

My main objective is to help others understand what the passage says and what it means. It's up to the next person to discover what are the implications of the passage for them personally.

Nevertheless, debates arise, I think, because certain passages are well known proof texts for one theological point of view or another. If a particular theological point of view says that the passage means 'X' and I say the passage means 'not X', then someone will certainly disagree with me. My goal, however, isn't to run around and poke holes in everyone's theological point of view. I'm simply trying to do my best to explain the passage as I understand it. My interpretation might be wrong or it might be right. But my motive isn't to disabuse people of their point of view, but to simply address the passage at hand in an intellectually honest way. And again, I might fail even at that at times. But that is my goal and my motivation. If someone comes to Bible chat and asks "what does passage so-and-so mean, I'm going to attempt to give a straightforward answer without an agenda, allowing others to make use of the information as they see fit.

If someone finds my explanation to be both sound and Biblical, then thank the Lord. If not, then each person must be convinced in his or her own mind.

Thread Information