cure-real
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Wouldn't it be nice...

Re: Wouldn't it be nice...

Quote Originally Posted by Frecs View Post
    Oh, no, I got one response from Seeking saying it was a good post. Really? That's it?
    I tried........................

Quote Originally Posted by Pilgrimtozion View Post
    If Bible Chat were about the Bible instead of Theology? If we could talk about the Bible rather than throw theological mud in every other thread? If we could live up to Titus 3:9: "But avoid foolish controversies and genealogies and strife and disputes about the Law, for they are unprofitable and worthless." ? If we could pay attention to 1 Timothy 6:4, which says "he is conceited and understands nothing; but he has a morbid interest in controversial questions and disputes about words, out of which arise envy, strife, abusive language, evil suspicions"?

Wouldn't it be great if we got our BIBLE Chat back and got rid of Theology Chat? I've come so close to leaving this board for this very reason. There is no joy for me in participating in Bible Chat anymore because the above Scriptures are not heeded. The only threads that get attention are the theologically controversial or interesting ones, whereas threads about actual Scriptures are discarded, ignored, and passed over. So so sad. But it's the reason that I hardly ever post anything in this forum anymore.
    Can you give me some examples of what you think are good bible topics? Since many of us equate theology with the bible, it's kind of hard to avoid the former.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by -SEEKING- View Post
    I tried........................
    NO! That's not what I meant...I meant that you were the only responder!!!

Blog Entries

The bottom line is this: the forum has already lost many a good poster due to this issue and will continue to lose many more if no changes are made. Of course theology comes into play when you talk about the Bible; the problem is that it becomes about theology and not the Bible. Also, any thread that just discusses the Bible - like the one I started about Psalm 100 - doesn't get any attention hardly at all, whereas chatting about Psalm 100 seems to be the epitome of Bible Chat. Not (N)OSAS or whatever other controversial topic always gets lots of attention.
    Who have I in heaven but You oh God? Besides You, I desire nothing here on earth. My heart and my flesh may fail me, but God will be the strength of my heart and my portion forever...as for me, the nearness of God is my good - Psalm 73:25-26, 28a

Check out my new blog at pilgrimtozion.blogspot.com

The bottom line is this: the forum has already lost many a good poster due to this issue and will continue to lose many more if no changes are made. Of course theology comes into play when you talk about the Bible; the problem is that it becomes about theology and not the Bible. Also, any thread that just discusses the Bible - like the one I started about Psalm 100 - doesn't get any attention hardly at all, whereas chatting about Psalm 100 seems to be the epitome of Bible Chat. Not (N)OSAS or whatever other controversial topic always gets lots of attention.
    I'm still not clear what the difference is between discussing the Bible and discussing Biblical theology. What changes do you propose?

If Bible Chat were about the Bible instead of Theology? If we could talk about the Bible rather than throw theological mud in every other thread? If we could live up to Titus 3:9: "But avoid foolish controversies and genealogies and strife and disputes about the Law, for they are unprofitable and worthless." ? If we could pay attention to 1 Timothy 6:4, which says "he is conceited and understands nothing; but he has a morbid interest in controversial questions and disputes about words, out of which arise envy, strife, abusive language, evil suspicions"?

Wouldn't it be great if we got our BIBLE Chat back and got rid of Theology Chat? I've come so close to leaving this board for this very reason. There is no joy for me in participating in Bible Chat anymore because the above Scriptures are not heeded. The only threads that get attention are the theologically controversial or interesting ones, whereas threads about actual Scriptures are discarded, ignored, and passed over. So so sad. But it's the reason that I hardly ever post anything in this forum anymore.
    I can say in all honesty that I am one of those very people (throw theological mud) and guilty of , When I read some of these discussions and someone tries to imply their denominational superiority because of how long it's been around or whatever the reason really makes me squeamish and uneasy so rather than just not participate I attack the jugular which I know is completely wrong and I have no real excuse other than my dislike for a certain denomination which we all know what it is, I guess this is more of a confession than anything because I have nothing to hide from the brethren.
    If Satan can keep us busy swinging our swords at one another, there is no hope of a united attack on the kingdom of darkness. KJV, NIV, ESV or ABCDEFG; there is no time to bicker over such things. We'll devour each other if allowed to continue. We should grab the marching orders written in the way we best understand and get to work.

Andrew_no_one

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by The Mighty Sword View Post
    I can say in all honesty that I am one of those very people (throw theological mud) and guilty of , When I read some of these discussions and someone tries to imply their denominational superiority because of how long it's been around or whatever the reason really makes me squeamish and uneasy so rather than just not participate I attack the jugular which I know is completely wrong and I have no real excuse other than my dislike for a certain denomination which we all know what it is, I guess this is more of a confession than anything because I have nothing to hide from the brethren.
    Admitting our sins is the first step to correcting the problem, my brother.

I know this is talking about the Lord's Supper but . . .

1 Corinthians 11:18-19 "I hear that there are divisions among you, and in part I believe it, for there must also be factions among you, that those who are approved may be recognised among you"NKJV

"But of course there must be divisions among youso that you who have God's approval will be recognised" NLT

I think Hisleasts asks a good question about the distinction between the two. And my follow-up question would be, if there is a distinction between them, isn't there room and desire for both?

Well, you picked a pretty straighforward little psalm for that post. I read it and went and read the psalm, but didn't really have anything to add that hadn't been said.

I think it's important to talk about our differences, if for nothing else than to try and understand others. I think a lot of the bad blood comes in because somebody else says something we disagree with and we automatically go into defensive mode. Personally, I like to explore what other people believe and why they believe it, to try and understand what support people have for their beliefs. As a child who didn't talk about church outside of his own church, I didn't really understand how people could believe something other than "the truth" when it was so obvious to me. As I got older and started talking to people from other denominations, I began to realize that people typically had a good reason for believing what they did and some of the things I believed were either wrong or not something that should be applied universally. It opened my mind to a greater understanding of God, the bible and the Holy Spirit. Discussions about our differences are a blessing from the Lord.

That being said, I am as guilty of stirring the pot as anyone. In the baptism thread(s), I wanted to see how others would respond to a hard-line stance on water baptism, so I approached the topic as if I was one of them. Perhaps that seems a bad thing to do, but a few people posted things that I did not think of before, which I truly appreciated.

It is interesting since the bible is the word of God and Gods word is not debated but it is declared. Theology is debated as to whether it rests solely upon the word of God.

Only a fool, in the metaphorical sense, would argue or debate against what God has declared to be true and eternal.

For the cause of Christ
    Roger

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by crawfish View Post
    Discussions about our differences are a blessing from the Lord..
    Yes, they are. But when Bible Chat becomes a euphemism for WWFBF (World Wrestling Federation-Bible Forum), that is not such a good thing. And, more often than not, Bible Chat does appear to be the WWFBF....even worse...it appears to be one of those caged matches with the metal chairs and chainsaws inside! Is it not possible to discuss like adults? Even when we strongly disagree...or are wanting to play devil's advocate...does it have to get so ugly? How does it make us look to the onlooking world?

why do i have the beach boys stuck in my head now !

I agree with your sentiments also

stick in there and keep trying to post the stuff you want to see.

Quote Originally Posted by Frecs View Post
    NO! That's not what I meant...I meant that you were the only responder!!!
    I know..................................

Blog Entries

It is a debate forum guys and set up as such. Theology is what determines a lot of how folks interpret various passages of the Bible. Trying to get rid of that is like me changing my hair to a different color without the use of chemicals and dyes. Our theology and doctrine are part of what and who we are... that's a reality. Even those of you who think you are free from such as that... you aren't. That's why, no matter the passage posted to discuss, someone believes what they do and you believe something differently.

I will say this too and you guys take it in the spirit intended and don't go elsewhere. I read where folks get frustrated and aggravated when these discussions get froggy. Okay... why? Do you agree with each and every doctrine out there? No. Do you just keep silent because you don't want to contend for what you believe? Sounds like a lot of you are. That would be wrong for some of you guys who I know are strong enough to handle such a discussion. If you have no patience for this.. then look at that flaw in your own life because by now... you should have enough to contend with what goes on in here.

The wrestling comment... I hear you but honestly, that is not a proper nor fair representation of what goes on in here and a lot of moderator's bust their backsides to try and keep that sort of thing from happening. If you don't like debate then cool. Don't debate. Just because others do doesn't make them "fighting" in such a manner. Were it not for very passionate debate then rest assured that we would all be circumcised (men and boys) and we'd be following the Law of Moses to the letter. I for one am glad that the Apostle's and elders didn't shy away from it. You can see Acts 15 for further understanding.

Visit our new website
    ! The Blog might interest some.. and Lord help me!!!... for those that twitter... there as well.

A.W. Tozer said,
    "To escape the error of salvation by works we have fallen into the opposite error of salvation without obedience.

GO.... SERVE YOUR KING!

Thread Information