cure-real
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Wouldn't it be nice...

Blog Entries

Re: Wouldn't it be nice...

Quote Originally Posted by ProjectPeter View Post
    It is a debate forum guys and set up as such. Theology is what determines a lot of how folks interpret various passages of the Bible. Trying to get rid of that is like me changing my hair to a different color without the use of chemicals and dyes. Our theology and doctrine are part of what and who we are... that's a reality. Even those of you who think you are free from such as that... you aren't. That's why, no matter the passage posted to discuss, someone believes what they do and you believe something differently.

I will say this too and you guys take it in the spirit intended and don't go elsewhere. I read where folks get frustrated and aggravated when these discussions get froggy. Okay... why? Do you agree with each and every doctrine out there? No. Do you just keep silent because you don't want to contend for what you believe? Sounds like a lot of you are. That would be wrong for some of you guys who I know are strong enough to handle such a discussion. If you have no patience for this.. then look at that flaw in your own life because by now... you should have enough to contend with what goes on in here.

The wrestling comment... I hear you but honestly, that is not a proper nor fair representation of what goes on in here and a lot of moderator's bust their backsides to try and keep that sort of thing from happening. If you don't like debate then cool. Don't debate. Just because others do doesn't make them "fighting" in such a manner. Were it not for very passionate debate then rest assured that we would all be circumcised (men and boys) and we'd be following the Law of Moses to the letter. I for one am glad that the Apostle's and elders didn't shy away from it. You can see Acts 15 for further understanding.
    So now I feel like I'm being told I'm at fault for feeling the way I do about the forum. That it's all hard-line theology discussion and very little simple Bible discussion. That I'm wrong for not liking debate (you may say it's okay but it sure doesn't feel like that is what you're saying) and just wanting conversation or discussion on the Scriptures. Do me a favor then - don't call it Bible Chat; it's the wrong name for the forum. Quite frankly, I have no problem having a debate and defending my position or trying to help somebody see why the Bible says one thing and not another. But so so so often it just comes to a point where I'm just not interested anymore...and the sad thing is that those threads are usually the ones that get by far the most attention.

So I guess my conclusion is that this forum is not for me. Sad, since I do have a passion for the Bible. I'll just find my fellowship and encouragement in the Battle for the First Post then. Thanks.
    Who have I in heaven but You oh God? Besides You, I desire nothing here on earth. My heart and my flesh may fail me, but God will be the strength of my heart and my portion forever...as for me, the nearness of God is my good - Psalm 73:25-26, 28a

Check out my new blog at pilgrimtozion.blogspot.com

Blog Entries

I would also like to call your attention to the fact that as a rule, the OP of a thread gets to set the tone of a thread.

If you (not "you specifically" but whoever) starts a thread with the intention of debating, then debate away!

If you start a thread with the intention of discussion THEN MAKE IT CLEAR IN YOUR OP THAT YOU DESIRE DISCUSSION, and take ownership of your thread and the direction it's heading, and call a mod for backup if needed.

I've started discussion threads in here myself and people are usually quite accomodating in adhering to my wishes of how I want a thread to run if I make it clear from the outset. People aren't mindreaders, so please accommodate that fact and let them know what you want out of a thread you start here.

That is all.

Blog Entries

I would dare to say this. Is that is the way bible chat is, then i will never post in bible chat again. I am not interested im being stepped on. I come to the forums here for two reasons: fellowship, and solid discussions (including some counseling) about things i want to learn more about. This is not the platform on which i want to debate about my theological differences. And i dont like my head being bitten off. If that is a flaw, im happy to live with it. I like peace and building and encouraging people and being encouraged myself. So be it then. Thank you for the info and trouble and i do think you all who are in charge are doing a brilliant job. Thank you very much
    "I am come that they might have life, and that they might have it more abundantly."

in all your ways acknowledge Him, and he will make your paths straight.

Many are the afflictions of the righteous; But Jehovah delivereth him out of them all.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Dani H View Post
    I would also like to call your attention to the fact that as a rule, the OP of a thread gets to set the tone of a thread.

If you (not "you specifically" but whoever) starts a thread with the intention of debating, then debate away!

If you start a thread with the intention of discussion THEN MAKE IT CLEAR IN YOUR OP THAT YOU DESIRE DISCUSSION, and take ownership of your thread and the direction it's heading, and call a mod for backup if needed.

I've started discussion threads in here myself and people are usually quite accomodating in adhering to my wishes of how I want a thread to run if I make it clear from the outset. People aren't mindreaders, so please accommodate that fact and let them know what you want out of a thread you start here.

That is all.
    With all due respect, I've found my GiC threads moved to Bible Chat without a hint of a by-your-leave from a MOD. Just moved. We post in GiC because we don't want to be here in BC. Should that desire not be respected? Especially when the thread being move hasn't come anywhere close to going to blows...just disagreeing. There is a huge difference between "disagreeing" and want goes on here.

Reading this thread has driven even more into my mind and heart that I need to get my priorities in order. Whenever I come to BF, my routine has, for the most part, been posting in CF, SP, and Contro. Oh, I'll read some of the threads in BC................sometimes. I get lost in some, and I'll learn things in a few.

Do I participate in these threads?? Very rarely. Which now leaves me to ask what my original intent was for signing up here. Answer: to learn more about the Bible. Am I doing that here? Not as much as I need to. Again, where are my priorities when I come here??

I made it a point to join SEEKING's 'Questions on' threads in GiC as a way to read more of the Bible, with a little bit of accountibility. I'm glad I did. Pilgrims Psalm 100 thread made me search what that Psalm means to me.

Will stop posting in other threads? Nope. However, I will need to change my priorities when I do log on. After all, this is BibleForums.org, where I came to learn things about the Bible as another source.

Blog Entries

With all due respect, if you want Bible Chat to change, then go change it ...

And who, specifically, is this "we?" Evidently there is enough of "we" to start making a difference in here on your own terms.

So have at it. But! ... live and let live.

Let those debate who wish. Let those discuss who wish.

Y'all are mature enough Christians to know how that's done.

Right?

Right.

In a place of praying hard and trusting God while battling on my knees!
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Liquid Tension View Post
    Will stop posting in other threads? Nope. However, I will need to change my priorities when I do log on. After all, this is BibleForums.org, where I came to learn things about the Bible as another source.
    I feel this is a good statement... BF is a good "resource" to help learn. If a person feels beat up because others pound them... there are other resources, other forums on this board alone that has many and various resources of learning, some where debate is not allowed.

If I have a misunderstanding, and a person points this out to me through scripture, not through their doctrine... I am not hurt, instead I am strengthened. If a person attacks me and what I believe based on scripture and /or what the Holy Spirit has allowed me to experience... I am not hurt, offended, put off... I will continue to testify of Jesus working in my life, around me and through me. People can doubt all they want, they can tell me I'm wrong all they want but as Jesus continues to do the same work through me or around me... I have Jesus and they have their unbelief... it don't bother me in the least as I continue to testify.

~Limitations in a Christian’s life are due to limited prayer and limiting obedience~

~Forgiveness has nothing to do with forgetting that moment... it's all about freedom FROM that moment.~

~Your needs activate God's compassion and faith activates God's power~

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Pilgrimtozion View Post
    So now I feel like I'm being told I'm at fault for feeling the way I do about the forum. That it's all hard-line theology discussion and very little simple Bible discussion. That I'm wrong for not liking debate (you may say it's okay but it sure doesn't feel like that is what you're saying) and just wanting conversation or discussion on the Scriptures.
    You can feel how you feel... that's you and your feeling. You can not like debate... not everyone does and that's cool and why we have other sections of the board for folks that don't like debate.

Do me a favor then - don't call it Bible Chat; it's the wrong name for the forum.
    Uh... I'll think about that! Thought about it. We'll keep it where it is and named what it is named.

Quite frankly, I have no problem having a debate and defending my position or trying to help somebody see why the Bible says one thing and not another. But so so so often it just comes to a point where I'm just not interested anymore...and the sad thing is that those threads are usually the ones that get by far the most attention.
    Sure... and folks go to NASCAR to see wrecks and not watch the little cars go round and round too. A few... like the driving strategy and whatnot. Different strokes because there are different folks.

So I guess my conclusion is that this forum is not for me. Sad, since I do have a passion for the Bible. I'll just find my fellowship and encouragement in the Battle for the First Post then. Thanks.
    If that's what gets you through the day and the nasty now and now... I'm all for it.

Visit our new website
    ! The Blog might interest some.. and Lord help me!!!... for those that twitter... there as well.

A.W. Tozer said,
    "To escape the error of salvation by works we have fallen into the opposite error of salvation without obedience.”

GO.... SERVE YOUR KING!

It is a debate forum guys and set up as such. Theology is what determines a lot of how folks interpret various passages of the Bible. Trying to get rid of that is like me changing my hair to a different color without the use of chemicals and dyes. Our theology and doctrine are part of what and who we are... that's a reality. Even those of you who think you are free from such as that... you aren't. That's why, no matter the passage posted to discuss, someone believes what they do and you believe something differently.

I will say this too and you guys take it in the spirit intended and don't go elsewhere. I read where folks get frustrated and aggravated when these discussions get froggy. Okay... why? Do you agree with each and every doctrine out there? No. Do you just keep silent because you don't want to contend for what you believe? Sounds like a lot of you are. That would be wrong for some of you guys who I know are strong enough to handle such a discussion. If you have no patience for this.. then look at that flaw in your own life because by now... you should have enough to contend with what goes on in here.

The wrestling comment... I hear you but honestly, that is not a proper nor fair representation of what goes on in here and a lot of moderator's bust their backsides to try and keep that sort of thing from happening. If you don't like debate then cool. Don't debate. Just because others do doesn't make them "fighting" in such a manner. Were it not for very passionate debate then rest assured that we would all be circumcised (men and boys) and we'd be following the Law of Moses to the letter. I for one am glad that the Apostle's and elders didn't shy away from it. You can see Acts 15 for further understanding.
    Certainly all debate is not wrong and is good and necessary. Acts 15 is a good example. We see to where Paul and Barnabas had serious disagreement. Jesus himself sometimes went looking for a way to offend those around him, like when he saw what was in the religious heart about healing on the sabbath. Yet, there were times when Jesus avoided debate like when he asked "Is John from God or men?"

Yet, if we look to the heart of the verse in Titus, it is about avoiding certain kinds of strife. Then, IMO, he gives an interesting verse to go with it.

Titus 3:10-11
    10 Reject a factious man after a first and second warning, 11 knowing that such a man is perverted and is sinning, being self-condemned.
    NASU

There are people who just cause division. They will cause strife. They will cause debate. These people should be marked and separated from.

I suppose I could say more. Lord knows I have felt the convicting hand of the Holy Spirit when my debate got out of hand and been prompted by him to engage in debate after I had ignored it for a time. One thing that I have often wondered about is how the internet and places like BibleForums fits within the kingdom. Though that is another whole discussion, I am somewhat confused because I see a clear time and place for debate within a church. (In Acts 15, agreement was actually reached after debate.) I also see a place for it in evangelism as Paul did at Mars Hill.

But with Bibleforums, it's not a church. Thus some of the rules that I see in place to govern churches may not apply here. And there is no real governing body where we are all submitted to it in the "real world". Our submission to the authority begins when we enter the forum and ends when we leave it. Such things make it harder for me to have clear thoughts and where some lines should be drawn.
    Matt 9:13
    13 "But go and learn what this means: ' I DESIRE COMPASSION,AND NOT SACRIFICE,' for I did not come to call the righteous, but sinners."
    NASU

Well, keep in mind what bibleforums overall purpose is. The mods think about this all the time. Each sub-forum has a purpose. Man, you may not get a lot of discussion like what you are looking for in biblechat. But you can get some discussion in the other forums. GiC is a great place to post for revelation or devotion or discussion. Just not as many people will post there.

Let me say this too... most of us know when we are getting in the flesh or functioning in the spirit. For me, I even had to ask the mods to help me by blocking my access to some of the sub-forums. I did this not because my arguments were wrong, (IMO), but because my attitude behind them was wrong. After the be-attitudes, Jesus says we are salt and if the salt has lost it's flavor, it becomes useless. When my attitude became bad, and no longer like that in the be-attitudes, I became useless for the kingdom in some sub-forums. I figure others have fallen into the same trap. I know it can be discouraging to those that feel the brunt of our fleshly walk. Anyway, not sure why I shared all that but I figure it's worthwhile all the same.

Grace to you Pilgrim. Hope to see you in some of the other sub-forums when I visit. (Though I do come less often these days.)

Grace and peace,

Mark
    Matt 9:13
    13 "But go and learn what this means: ' I DESIRE COMPASSION,AND NOT SACRIFICE,' for I did not come to call the righteous, but sinners."
    NASU

So now I feel like I'm being told I'm at fault for feeling the way I do about the forum. That it's all hard-line theology discussion and very little simple Bible discussion. That I'm wrong for not liking debate (you may say it's okay but it sure doesn't feel like that is what you're saying) and just wanting conversation or discussion on the Scriptures. Do me a favor then - don't call it Bible Chat; it's the wrong name for the forum. Quite frankly, I have no problem having a debate and defending my position or trying to help somebody see why the Bible says one thing and not another. But so so so often it just comes to a point where I'm just not interested anymore...and the sad thing is that those threads are usually the ones that get by far the most attention.

I don't think it's your fault for feeling the way you do, but this board has to be more than about just your feelings. There are a large number of us who enjoy the debate and who strive to keep it from getting ugly (although that often fails).

Dani H has the best solution above: simply say in the OP that the thread is not about debate but is a discussion. If a debate pops up, ask them to stop, and if they don't report it to a mod. As an OP you have control over how the thread goes. Avoid the debate posts if you don't want to read them.

Of course, I understand your dilemma. There was a poster on here who would often make a "sermon" post to state a point of view, and indicate that he did not want that opinion debated in the thread. His wishes were granted, even when he posted on controversial topics, although I do admit most of the time there were no responses at all.

1 Pet 3:15... be ready always to give answer to every man that asketh you a reason of the hope that is in you, with meekness and fear.

What is our duty to Christ in this verse?

For the cause of Christ
    Roger

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by notuptome View Post
    1 Pet 3:15... be ready always to give answer to every man that asketh you a reason of the hope that is in you, with meekness and fear.

What is our duty to Christ in this verse?

For the cause of Christ
    Roger
    To give an answer ... in meekness. But, I'm sure that was only directed toward the Jews and so does not apply today.

(Is that the normal response here in BC to negate a scripture from applying to us?)

Heavenly places in Christ Jesus (Eph 2:6)

I was going to bring up Acts 15 but I see you beat me to it. There's nothing wrong with debate in and of itself. The problem comes in when people stop being respectful of each other. The Bible is full of theology and, sadly, there's not a lot in the Bible that we all agree on, so the potential for debate is there in almost any discussion of the Bible, it seems. I'm pretty sure that people would find a way to even debate over Psalm 100.

Quote Originally Posted by Frecs View Post
    To give an answer ... in meekness.
    Meekness and fear not to or of the man that asketh but to the Lord. I can only imagine how things would be today if the apostles and disciples were as timid as most Christians. Peter in Acts 5 when the religious leaders threatened him said vs 27 We ought to obey God rather than men.
    But, I'm sure that was only directed toward the Jews and so does not apply today.

(Is that the normal response here in BC to negate a scripture from applying to us?)
    Especially when we don't like to face the implications of our actions or position toward Christ.

For the cause of Christ
    Roger

Thread Information