cure-real
Page 1 of 9 123456789 LastLast

Thread: What do you mean by "modest" dress for women?. (moved from GIC)

Blog Entries

What do you mean by "modest" dress for women?. (moved from GIC)

Here’s a question to ponder:

In many discussions about how to dress (especially for church) it has been said that women should dress “modestly” so as not to cause a brother to stumble. While I think I understand the general gist of that (and agree) I’m going to pretend I don’t for the sake of this discussion. Based on that:

What do you mean by “modest”? How much flesh is too much flesh to expose?

Re: What do you mean by "modest" dress for women?

I think it would depend on what modesty was or is in the culture. Some think any skin is to much and others think it's okay to show some

In a place of praying hard and trusting God while battling on my knees!
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by christseeker View Post
    I think it would depend on what modesty was or is in the culture. Some think any skin is to much and others think it's okay to show some
    OK... let's narrow the culture thing then. I'm a white man led by God to serve Him in a Hispanic church. Based on the Hispanic "secular" culture... any shirt a female wears with 65% of the breasts exposed... is MODEST.

Now, let's apply this to the fact that we're talking about GROWTH in Christ and what should be modest at church and not what is modest in ones culture. Church is church and a culture doesn't altar what God may say about modest dress. So lets discuss this with God in mind... not a person's culture in mind.
    Slug1--out

~Limitations in a Christian’s life are due to limited prayer and limiting obedience~

~Forgiveness has nothing to do with forgetting that moment... it's all about freedom FROM that moment.~

~Your needs activate God's compassion and faith activates God's power~

~Three minutes is a lifetime, if you only have two, too live~

Well, from personal experience in my former church, if when you sit down and someone throws a blanket on you so as not to show your.......um........well....... you know, to everyone on the altar, that's a pretty good sign. I remember once there were these 2 sisters that once it was so blatantly obvious, that the choir director got off the alter and asked them please to sit in the back of the congregation.

Blog Entries

I think culture does play some role in the definition but not entirely. We are in the world not of the world.

So, for the sake of this discussion, we are talking about non-Muslim cultures -- no burkas --->unless you actually think that is what is meant by modesty!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by -SEEKING- View Post
    Well, from personal experience in my former church, if when you sit down and someone throws a blanket on you so as not to show your.......um........well....... you know, to everyone on the altar, that's a pretty good sign. I remember once there were these 2 sisters that once it was so blatantly obvious, that the choir director got off the alter and asked them please to sit in the back of the congregation.
    I'm not sure I understand. If my ankles show, would that require a blanket be placed over me?

Oh yes we must cover women completely you know

Quote Originally Posted by Frecs View Post
    I'm not sure I understand. If my ankles show, would that require a blanket be placed over me?
    Come on Frecs. If it was the ankles I wouldn't have even mentioned it. Think higher up. In the pelvic area. Know what I'm saying. And this actually happened. Several times. God forbid they ever raised thier hands during worship.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by -SEEKING- View Post
    Come on Frecs. If it was the ankles I wouldn't have even mentioned it. Think higher up. In the pelvic area. Know what I'm saying. And this actually happened. Several times. God forbid they ever raised thier hands during worship.
    Okay, so hemline needs to be lower than my butt. How much lower?

(I know what you meant....I'm playing stupid for this thread....)

Blog Entries

Oh yes we must cover women completely you know
    How do you know you aren't about to marry an ugly woman?

Is a nun's habit sufficient or do you prefer burgas?

How do you know you aren't about to marry an ugly woman?

Is a nun's habit sufficient or do you prefer burgas?
    Well if she was ugly definlty a burga

I think nice modest dress going to the kness would be enough for a women and a nice dress pants and shirt for a guy going to Church.

Blog Entries
    Is anyone going to post scripture on this?

Just seems like this is a bible question...

1 Timothy 2:9-10 (New King James Version)

9 in like manner also, that the women adorn themselves in modest apparel, with propriety and moderation, not with braided hair or gold or pearls or costly clothing, 10 but, which is proper for women professing godliness, with good works.

The Adam Clarke Commentary

That women adorn themselves

The apostle seems to refer here to different parts of the Grecian and Roman dress. The , stola, seems to have been originally very simple. It was a long piece of cloth, doubled in the middle, and sewed up on both sides, leaving room only for the arms; at the top, a piece was cut out, or a slit made, through which the head passed. It hung down to the feet, both before and behind, and was girded with the zona round the body, just under the breasts. It was sometimes made with, sometimes without, sleeves; and, that it might sit the better, it was gathered on each shoulder with a band or buckle. Some of the Greek women wore them open on each side, from the bottom up above the knee, so as to discover a part of the thigh. These were termed , showers (discoverers) of the thigh; but it was, in general, only young girls or immodest women who wore them thus.

Here is another bible commentary on this:
    David Guzik's Commentaries on the Bible
    b. That the women adorn themselves in modest apparel: This is how Christian women are supposed to dress, especially at their Christian meetings. What is modest apparel? The words propriety and moderation help explain.

i. Propriety asks, "Is it appropriate for the occasion? Is it over-dressed or under-dressed? Is it going to call inappropriate attention to myself?" Moderation asks, "Is it moderate? Is it just too much – or far too little?" Moderation looks for a middle ground.

ii. The braided hair or gold or pearls or costly clothing Paul mentions were adornments that went against the principles of propriety and moderation in that culture.

iii. How you dress reflects your heart. If a man dresses in a casual manner, it says something about his attitude. Likewise, if a woman dresses in an immodest manner, it says something about her heart.

c. The most important adornment is good works. If a woman is dressed in propriety and moderation, with good works, she is perfectly dressed. Good works make a woman more beautiful than good jewelry

I used these bible commentaries to give us an idea of the culture back then and why certain things like pearls in the hair were pointed out...what the comparison was to the way the worldly people dressed and what was expected of Christian women.

1 Peter 3

3 Do not let your adornment be merely outward—arranging the hair, wearing gold, or putting on fine apparel— 4 rather let it be the hidden person of the heart, with the incorruptible beauty of a gentle and quiet spirit, which is very precious in the sight of God.

God bless
    "People do not drift toward holiness. Apart from grace-driven effort, people do not gravitate toward godliness, prayer, obedience to Scripture, faith, and delight in the Lord. We drift toward compromise and call it tolerance; We drift toward disobedience and call it freedom; We drift toward superstition and call it faith. We cherish the indiscipline of lost self-control and call it relaxation; we slouch toward prayerlessness and delude ourselves into thinking we have escaped legalism; we slide toward godlessness and convince ourselves we have been liberated?" - D A Carson

Blog Entries

I think nice modest dress going to the kness would be enough for a women and a nice dress pants and shirt for a guy going to Church.
    What constitutes "modest" dress? I mean, other than hemline to the knees, what makes it "modest"? Can I show cleavage? bare arms? are there colors or patterns that immodest? does it have to fit like a sackcloth bag?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by moonglow View Post
    Is anyone going to post scripture on this?

Just seems like this is a bible question...

1 Timothy 2:9-10 (New King James Version)

9 in like manner also, that the women adorn themselves in modest apparel, with propriety and moderation, not with braided hair or gold or pearls or costly clothing, 10 but, which is proper for women professing godliness, with good works.

The Adam Clarke Commentary

That women adorn themselves

The apostle seems to refer here to different parts of the Grecian and Roman dress. The , stola, seems to have been originally very simple. It was a long piece of cloth, doubled in the middle, and sewed up on both sides, leaving room only for the arms; at the top, a piece was cut out, or a slit made, through which the head passed. It hung down to the feet, both before and behind, and was girded with the zona round the body, just under the breasts. It was sometimes made with, sometimes without, sleeves; and, that it might sit the better, it was gathered on each shoulder with a band or buckle. Some of the Greek women wore them open on each side, from the bottom up above the knee, so as to discover a part of the thigh. These were termed , showers (discoverers) of the thigh; but it was, in general, only young girls or immodest women who wore them thus.

Here is another bible commentary on this:
    David Guzik's Commentaries on the Bible
    b. That the women adorn themselves in modest apparel: This is how Christian women are supposed to dress, especially at their Christian meetings. What is modest apparel? The words propriety and moderation help explain.

i. Propriety asks, "Is it appropriate for the occasion? Is it over-dressed or under-dressed? Is it going to call inappropriate attention to myself?" Moderation asks, "Is it moderate? Is it just too much – or far too little?" Moderation looks for a middle ground.

ii. The braided hair or gold or pearls or costly clothing Paul mentions were adornments that went against the principles of propriety and moderation in that culture.

iii. How you dress reflects your heart. If a man dresses in a casual manner, it says something about his attitude. Likewise, if a woman dresses in an immodest manner, it says something about her heart.

c. The most important adornment is good works. If a woman is dressed in propriety and moderation, with good works, she is perfectly dressed. Good works make a woman more beautiful than good jewelry

I used these bible commentaries to give us an idea of the culture back then and why certain things like pearls in the hair were pointed out...what the comparison was to the way the worldly people dressed and what was expected of Christian women.

1 Peter 3

3 Do not let your adornment be merely outward—arranging the hair, wearing gold, or putting on fine apparel— 4 rather let it be the hidden person of the heart, with the incorruptible beauty of a gentle and quiet spirit, which is very precious in the sight of God.

God bless
    So, I shouldn't braid my hair? What is considered appropriate for church? or a church function? How do I know this if I've never been to church before?

What constitutes "modest" dress? I mean, other than hemline to the knees, what makes it "modest"? Can I show cleavage? bare arms? are there colors or patterns that immodest? does it have to fit like a sackcloth bag?
    For me it would be June Cleaver type dress from the good old days. I wouldn't even mind cleavage, I think that the young teens and older young people today skirts are way to short and the boys don't care either wearing pants down by their hips and showing their undies.

Thread Information