cure-real

Thread: Can others be punished for YOUR sins?

Help Can others be punished for YOUR sins?

Hi.

I am new to the forum/website. This is my first post. So, please bear with me.

Lately, due to a number of events in my life, I have found myself wondering whether or not God would punish me for my sins by punishing someone I care about. This mostly relates to my mother. Does God punish children for the sins or their parents, and on the flip side, does God punish parents for the sins of their children?

With these questions in mind, let me explain my situation.

Two years ago, my mother was diagnosed with a stage four glioblastoma (severe brain tumor). They told us she had four months to live. Clearly, she is a fighter. However, as if dying isn't enough, she seems to be suffering an extraordinary amount. Her first surgery was an emergency surgery the day after she first found out about the tumor. Then, they removed the drainage tube in her head too early which cause her to have a brain hemorrhage. This left her paralyzed on the left side of her body. There were bad results for her vision, senses, and memory as well. Since then she has had another surgery, radiation, chemo in an IV, and chemo by mouth. She has now stopped responding to all treatment. This is it.

There's something you need to know about my mother - she is amazing. My father left her and my younger sister when I was three and my sister was just born. Since then, she sacrificed everything for my sister and I. She has always put her children first, with only God before us. She never drank, did drugs, or even had sex before marriage. My mother is by no means perfect, but she does not deserve all of this suffering. In addition to everything listed, she is constantly throwing up everytime she takes a bite of food or even a sip of water, she can't/won't eat, she is sick all the time because of her basically dead immune system, and she has also had shingles. (If you've had shingles or seen someone who has, imagine that times 100. The poor woman has a strip of scarring from the blisters that looks like she was in a horrible grease fire of some sort.)

HERE IS THE DEAL.

I want to know if God is punishing me for my MANY sins by allowing or causing all this to happen to my mother. I'm a dirty-rotten sinner. I have accepted Jesus as my Savior, and I have never denied the existence of God or His Son. I still come up short, of course. I was a "druggie." I lied to my mother. I told her I hated her, and at the time I really thought I did. I am not a good person, but I am trying so hard to improve myself. Can my sins and shortcomings be the cause of all her pain. I find myself wondering this almost on a daily basis now.

What do you think? Yes, it's my fault? No, it isn't? It's some of both? Please let me know what you think, why you think that, and any Bible verses you have to back up your claim.

Please, if you have ever come across anything about this in the Bible, post. I'm not really sure who to ask or where to turn for advice on this question. I need guidance. Of course, I am and have been praying for God to show me the answer as well.

Thank you.
    God Bless!

~EEG

Blog Entries

Re: Can others be punished for YOUR sins?

First of all, I am sorry that your mother is ill and suffering. I will pray for her.

Secondly, welcome to the forum.

Finally, I encourage you to read Ezekiel 18 (the whole chapter). God's people are accusing Him of that very thing - punishing the children for the parent's sins. They go around quoting a proverb - "A father eats sour grapes and the children's teeth are set on edge" (meaning they are the ones who taste the bitterness).

God tells them that this is not true. He gives them an example of a righteous man who has an evil son. And, in turn, the evil son has a child who sees his father's evil ways and turns from them and lives righteously like the grandfather.

God says that each man is responsible for his own life.

Specifically, verse 20 should bring you some comfort.

"The one who sins is the one who will die. The child will not share the guilt of the parent, nor will the parent share the guilt of the child. The righteousness of the righteous will be credited to them, and the wickedness of the wicked will be charged against them."

Your mother is not ill because you sinned as a younger person. You did not behave badly enough for God to punish her and in turn, you cannot behave "good" enough to heal her. I am also confident in saying that your mother did not bring this illness on herself because her own sin.

What you can do is pray for your mother, tend to her, love her, and live a life of righteousness for God's glory. I am praying for her deliverance of this affliction.
    ".....it's your nickel"

Blog Entries

Hi EEG, welcome.

What Jayne said. Ezekiel 18 makes it clear. You are not punished, neither is your mother.

Because of the fall of Adam & Eve God cursed the Earth and illness and suffering entered God's perfect created world and affected the whole human race. Some suffer less, some suffer to the extreme, but I have to meet the first person who hasn't suffered in this life. As it is in your life now. You are going through a terrible period right now and if I have read you well your past doesn't qualify as a smelling rose experience.

You know, God hasn't promised us a quiet voyage, the thing He however did promised is a safe arrival. For you and also for your mother. Hope you will find some comfort in that.

Take care.

In the slave pits of manmade Christianity, setting the captives free.

The only person ever punished for someone else's sins (MINE) is Jesus.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ProDeo View Post
    You know, God hasn't promised us a quiet voyage, the thing He however did promised is a safe arrival. For you and also for your mother. Hope you will find some comfort in that.
    That's a good reminder for us all.
    ".....it's your nickel"

Hi there,

Recently I was catching up on past services at my church that you can watch online. When you have some free time check it out. Go to generationscc.com then click on watch to see previous sermons. Watch " a beautiful mess" I think it will clear some things up for you. It is about sinning and its consequences. Hope this helps and you are in my prayers.
    "Be the Change you wish to see in the World."

Blog Entries

It is obvious to me that people can SUFFER because of other peoples' sins.

However, I don't think that's the same thing being talked about here.

I am so sorry about your Mom. That must be really hard for you. I don't think God would punish such a strong women such as your Mom for anybody's sins, your's nor her's. I will pray for you and your Mom.

Thread Information