cure-real

Thread: Was David a Myth?

Blog Entries

Was David a Myth?

This article is from ScienceDaily (Feb. 22, 2010) but I read about it first in the latest issue of National Geographic Magazine. (December 2010) A section of an ancient city wall of Jerusalem from the tenth century B.C.E. - possibly built by King Solomon - has been revealed in archaeological excavations directed by Dr. Eilat Mazar and conducted under the auspices of the Hebrew University of Jerusalem.

Archaeology is not my forte but I found it supported my understanding of history - that Solomon’s reign was from 970BC to 930BC. People told me there was no extra-biblical evidence of his or David’s reign. Well, now there is it seems. Mind you, the old “no such person” brigade are getting a bit miffed about it.

Cyberseeker
    "Your name and renown
    is the desire of our hearts."
    (Isaiah 26:8)

Re: Was David a Myth?

There is the Tel Dan Stele (link to wikipedia) which refers to the 'house of David'. Most scholars believe the reference is genuine and marks the only external evidence for King David. So, as with Jesus, I think only some radical scholars and people would say that David is a myth. However, critical scholars believe the real David was much more 'darker' than the David of tradition gleaned from the biblical writings, which they regard as being based on propagandistic sources.

No, he was a Hebrew.
    If Satan can keep us busy swinging our swords at one another, there is no hope of a united attack on the kingdom of darkness. KJV, NIV, ESV or ABCDEFG; there is no time to bicker over such things. We'll devour each other if allowed to continue. We should grab the marching orders written in the way we best understand and get to work.

Andrew_no_one

Quote Originally Posted by BrckBrln
    However, critical scholars believe the real David was much more 'darker' than the David of tradition gleaned from the biblical writings, which they regard as being based on propagandistic sources.
    Well, even Christians recognize the dark side of David. Heck, a couple of weeks ago at the Bible class my wife and I go to, the pastor teaching called David "a brutal, brutal man", among other things.

David was the first warrior-poet. Pretty good at both, too.
    As for Me, this is My covenant with them," says the LORD: "My Spirit who is on you, and My words that I have put in your mouth, will not depart from your mouth, or from the mouth of your children, or from the mouth of your children's children, from now on and forever," says the LORD.

Isaiah 59:21

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Fenris View Post
    David was the first warrior-poet. Pretty good at both, too.
    I wonder if he was the first who said, "The pen is mightier than the sword?"
    "Your name and renown
    is the desire of our hearts."
    (Isaiah 26:8)

Or the quill, or whatever it was they wrote with back then.

But we're told he was pretty handy with the sword, too.
    As for Me, this is My covenant with them," says the LORD: "My Spirit who is on you, and My words that I have put in your mouth, will not depart from your mouth, or from the mouth of your children, or from the mouth of your children's children, from now on and forever," says the LORD.

Isaiah 59:21

Blog Entries

David lived during bloody times. Surely he wasn't all puppy dogs, rainbows and butterflies. He was a man of war during times of great warfare. Even God told him "no David, your hands are too bloody to build a temple for me". Of course he had a darker side to him. It's very clear from Scripture. And that doesn't even go into his heinous sins of outright murder and adultery and the fact that his parenting skills were abysmal.

People aren't buffets. We have to keep the whole person in mind when we talk about who they are/were instead of picking the parts off that we choose to see. David is no exception.

Thread Information