cure-real
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 18

Thread: What is the gospel??

  1. #1

    What is the gospel??

    what is the gospel??? how do you explain christianity to people who don't know what it is?

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    In the land that is desperate for PEACE
    Posts
    15,972
    Blog Entries
    10

    Re: What is the gospel??

    A relationship with the Savior
    The LORD is my Miracle

    G_d was gracious He has shown favor


    Hope is a seed
    God plants in our hearts
    to remind us
    there are better things ahead.
    -Holley Gerth


  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Melbourne, Fl. (USA)
    Posts
    3,248

    Re: What is the gospel??

    Quote Originally Posted by hmg1994 View Post
    what is the gospel??? how do you explain christianity to people who don't know what it is?
    Hello hmg1994,

    I noticed from your profile that you say you are a Christian, so I am somwhat confused by your question, "What is the gospel?" Perhaps your second question is more in line with what you were wondering. (Just how does one explain the gospel to someone from another culture who has had no previous exposure to it?)

    Your first question would indicate that you yourself are not quite sure what the gospel is. Each person who claims to be a Christian should have some definition for "the gospel", even if it is not totally accurate. The fundamental notion of "the gospel" is "good news" from God.

    Your second question is a bit more difficult - there are a number of approaches one could try. In the Book of Acts (chapters 14 and 17) the apostle Paul tried to reason with the pagans in Greece. He started by trying to work from very general information about the existence of God, but then he quickly stated that the One true God had sent His Son, and that all men would be judged by Him. Paul also told of the resurrection of the dead. Many people become very interested when they are told that there is a life after this one, and that they will be judged according to a righteous standard, and that God has provided an atonement (a sacrifice) for their sins. Jesus is both the sacrifice and the Judge.

    Perhaps you could be a bit more specific. What is your understanding of the gospel? We first must have a good understanding of something before we can explain it to others.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    In the Midwest.
    Posts
    2,992

    Re: What is the gospel??

    Quote Originally Posted by hmg1994 View Post
    what is the gospel??? how do you explain christianity to people who don't know what it is?
    Moreover, brethren, I declare to you the gospel which I preached to you, which also you received and in which you stand, by which also you are saved, if you hold fast that word which I preached to you--unless you believed in vain. For I delivered to you first of all that which I also received: that Christ died for our sins according to the Scriptures, and that He was buried, and that He rose again the third day according to the Scriptures (1 Corinthians 15:1-4)

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Tennessee, usa
    Posts
    1,487

    Re: What is the gospel??

    I stand with ta-an the gospel is the relationship with the savior. It is the good news about his birth, death and resurrection. Without it we can not find the path to God.
    Every temptation is of the devil, and every sin leads to death.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    250
    Blog Entries
    50

    Re: What is the gospel??

    Quote Originally Posted by hmg1994 View Post
    what is the gospel??? how do you explain christianity to people who don't know what it is?
    88888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888 88


    Hello every one; this a wonderful subject; it is one that should be taught to new converts,
    when they are first brought into the Kingdom. I am always shocked when I meet some one
    who has just accepted Jesus as personal Savior; and they have been paid no attention to;
    they are an infant, they need uplifting,Taught the principles of The Gospel. I heard one person
    say I hope she makes it. They need nurtering; the only way they should fail is, not having the
    Aggope Love Ministered by The Body of Christ; The Annointed ones; not deacons or minister
    to do all the work.

    The gospel in the Truth. If you KNOW the TRUTH, the Truth will set you free. I hear so many
    saying, the truth will set you free; but this is not a true statement; it is knowing the Truth;
    The GOSPEL; The WORD that will set all free. we are speaking of the spirit of born again believers;
    The man's mind has to be renewed to the Word.

    The blessings of Abraham on all of you. Respectfully. Parsonsmom

  7. #7

    Re: What is the gospel??

    Quote Originally Posted by hmg1994
    what is the gospel???
    Jesus is King.

    how do you explain christianity to people who don't know what it is?
    As simply as it could possibly get: We kill ourselves by doing evil things, which cuts us off from God. Jesus brings us back to life, and brings us back to God.

  8. #8

    Re: What is the gospel??

    What is the Gospel?
    Study By: J. Hampton Keathley, III


    Introduction

    In a day of depressing headlines and uncertainty all around us, good news is very welcome. What better news could there be than as the old hymn says: “The vilest offender who truly believes, that moment from Jesus a pardon receives?” When Christians refer to the “Gospel” they are referring to the “good news” that Jesus Christ died to pay the penalty for our sin so that we might become the children of God through faith alone in Christ alone. In short, “the Gospel” is the sum total of the saving truth as God has communicated it to lost humanity as it is revealed in the person of His Son and in the Holy Scriptures, the Bible. If you aren’t sure whether or not you are God’s child, you might want to read God’s Plan of Salvation before you read on in this lesson.

    The Basic Meaning of the Term
    The term gospel is found ninety-nine times in the NASB and ninety-two times in the NET Bible. In the Greek New Testament, gospel is the translation of the Greek noun euangelion (occurring 76 times) “good news,” and the verb euangelizo (occurring 54 times), meaning “to bring or announce good news.” Both words are derived from the noun angelos, “messenger.” In classical Greek, an euangelos was one who brought a message of victory or other political or personal news that caused joy. In addition, euangelizomai (the middle voice form of the verb) meant “to speak as a messenger of gladness, to proclaim good news.”1 Further, the noun euangelion became a technical term for the message of victory, though it was also used for a political or private message that brought joy.2

    That both the noun and the verb are used so extensively in the New Testament demonstrate how it developed a distinctly Christian use and emphasis because of the glorious news announced to mankind of salvation and victory over sin and death that God offers to all people through the person and accomplished work of Jesus Christ on the cross as proven by His resurrection, ascension, and session at God’s right hand. In the New Testament these two words, euangelion and euangelizo, became technical terms for this message of good news offered to all men through faith in Christ.

    The Wycliffe Bible Encyclopedia summarizes the gospel message this way:

    The central truth of the gospel is that God has provided a way of salvation for men through the gift of His son to the world. He suffered as a sacrifice for sin, overcame death, and now offers a share in His triumph to all who will accept it. The gospel is good news because it is a gift of God, not something that must be earned by penance or by self-improvement (Jn 3:16; Rom 5:8–11; II Cor 5:14–19; Tit 2:11–14).3

    The Gospel in a Nutshell
    In 1 Corinthians 15:1-8, the apostle Paul summarizes the most basic ingredients of the gospel message, namely, the death, burial, resurrection, and appearances of the resurrected Christ. Note the four clauses introduced by that in bold type in verses 3-5 below:

    15:1 Now I want to make clear for you, brothers and sisters, the gospel that I preached to you, that you received and on which you stand, 15:2 and by which you are being saved, if you hold firmly to the message I preached to you—unless you believed in vain. 15:3 For I passed on to you as of first importance what I also received—that Christ died for our sins according to the scriptures, 15:4 and that he was buried, and that he was raised on the third day according to the scriptures, 15:5 and that he appeared to Cephas, then to the twelve…4

    These verses, which were an early Christian confession, give us the heart of the gospel and show the that the resurrection is an integral part of the gospel. Note that Paul described this as “of first importance”—a phrase that stresses priority, not time. The stress is on the centrality of these truths to the gospel message.

    Actually, the central ingredient of the gospel message is a two-fold confession: (1) Christ died for our sins and (2) He was raised on the third day. The reality of these two elements can be verified by the Scriptures (cf. Ps. 16:10; Isa. 53:8-10) and by such awesome historical evidence as the empty tomb and the eye witnesses. Thus, the other two elements mentioned here accomplish two important facts regarding the gospel. The fact that He was buried verified His death, and the fact that He appeared to others verified His resurrection.

    Modifying Terms
    While gospel is often found alone, it is very often modified by various terms that focus on a particular aspect of the gospel.

    It is modified by various descriptive phrases, such as, “the gospel of God” (Mk 1:14, ASV; Rom 15:16), “the gospel of Jesus Christ,” (Mk 1:1; I Cor 9:12), “the gospel of his Son” (Rom 1:9), “the gospel of the kingdom “ (Mt 4:23; 9:35; 24:14), “the gospel of the grace of God” (Acts 20:24), “the gospel of the glory of Christ” (II Cor 4:4, ASV), “the gospel of peace” (Eph 6:15), “an eternal gospel” (Rev 14:6, RSV). Although distinctive aspects of the message are indicated by the various modifiers, the gospel is essentially one. Paul speaks of “another gospel” which is not an equivalent, for the gospel of God is His revelation, not the result of discovery (Gal 1:6–11).5

    In the New Testament, the various modifiers bring out some aspect of the gospel that is being stressed in the context and is a part of the good news of what God offers us in Christ.

    (1) The gospel of Jesus Christ (Mark 1:1; 1 Cor. 9:12) and the gospel of His Son (Rom. 1:9). These two descriptions speak of the good news of salvation that comes through the person and work of Jesus Christ who is the very Son of God in human flesh. Again, this is a good news of deliverance from sin’s penalty, power and presence through the two advents of Christ.

    (2) The gospel of the grace of God (Acts 20:24) emphasizes that salvation in all of its aspects is on the basis of grace rather than on some meritorious system of works.

    (3) The gospel of the kingdom (Matt. 4:23; 9:35; 24:14) is the good news that God will establish His kingdom on earth through the two advents of the Lord Jesus Christ.

    (4) The gospel of peace (Eph. 6:15) describes how this good news of salvation in Christ brings peace in all its many aspects (peace with God, the peace of God, peace with others, and world peace) through the victory accomplished by the Savior.

    (5) The eternal or everlasting gospel (Rev. 14:6) expands our perspective of gospel as we normally think of it. This gospel as proclaimed by the angel has several key elements of gloriously good news that are developed in three commands and two reasons:

    •Command #1: “Fear God.” This refers to a holy reverence that recognizes the sovereign authority and power of God to deal with man in His holy wrath and thus, to bring an end to the world of sin as we now know it. To fear God is to recognize Him as the true God who can destroy the soul and not just the body as God will do with the beast of Revelation and His anti-God system.
    •Command #2: “Give Him glory.” This refers to the praise and honor that should accrue to God from mankind due to our recognition and high estimation of God as the sovereign Creator of the universe.
    •Command #3: “And worship Him who made …” The word “worship” means to show reverence or respect. This word emphasizes the external display as seen in our obedience, prayer, singing, and formal worship. The word “fear” emphasizes the reverential mental attitude behind the worship. In the Tribulation people will be forced to fear and formally acknowledge the beast and his image. In this message the angel is demanding that mankind reject the beast and formally turn to God to worship Him (cf. Rev. 14:11).
    •Reason #1: “The hour of his judgment has come” is a reference to the final judgments of the Tribulation—the bowl judgments—which are about to occur that will put an end to the system of the beast and bring the rule the Lord Jesus, the King of kings. These will conclude with the return of Christ Himself (Rev. 19) and lead to the removal of all unbelievers from the earth. The emphasis is to not delay because the time is short.
    •Reason #2: This is seen in the reference to God as the Creator in verse 7b. Here we are called to pay attention to the ageless and universal message of the creation itself. Age after age creation has called mankind to recognize God’s existence and to seek after Him (cf. Acts 17:26-27 with Psalm 19:1-6). This means people are without excuse and that, when the angel proclaims this gospel, the hour of the Creator’s judgment is about to fall (see Rom. 1:18f). Though this is the essential and primary element of the angel’s everlasting gospel, perhaps he will say more than this for from age to age a person’s capacity to reverence, glorify and worship God has come only through believing and knowing Christ (cf. John 14:6 with Acts 4:12; John 4:23-24).

    Limit the Meaning of the Gospel

    Popular notions about the term ‘gospel’ tend to limit it to the message of how one may receive eternal life through faith in Christ, but it is much broader than that. For instance, Paul says in Romans 1:16-17, “For I am not ashamed of the gospel, for it is God’s power for salvation to everyone who believes, to the Jew first and also to the Greek. For the righteousness of God is revealed in the gospel from faith to faith, just as it is written, “the righteous by faith will live.” But by using the term “gospel” here, Paul is not

    …limiting his thoughts to those central truths by which a person is given eternal life. For Paul, his gospel included such matters as justification by faith (3-5), sanctification through the Spirit (6-8), and God’s future for Israel (9-11). In fact, the gospel gathers together all the truths that are found in Romans. Therefore, we can conclude that in Rom 1:16, Paul is expressing his confidence that the truths of justification, sanctification, and even glorification provide God’s power to deliver us from enslavement and bondage to sin.6

    In a footnote to the above statement, Hart adds the following explanation.

    Romans 16:25 demonstrates that sanctification truth (Romans 6-8) was part of Paul’s gospel”; “Now to Him who is able to establish you according to my gospel…” (italics added). In Romans, Paul is defending the gospel he preached. While the apostle preached “the gospel of His [God’s] Son” (1:9), the “gospel of God” (1:1; 15:16), and the “gospel of Christ” (1:16, MajT; 15:19), Paul also found it necessary to use the phrase “my gospel” (Rom 2:16; 16:25). Paul’s use of the term “gospel” is very broad, including all the truths about Christ in the Old Testament and the New Testament. The gospel (1:1) concerned Old Testament revelation about Christ (1:2), his Davidic lineage (1:3), the Holy Spirit’s role in the resurrection (1:4), and Paul’s apostleship to Gentiles (1:5).… It is more adequate to see Paul as using the term “gospel” in a wider scope than popular notions about the word.7

    Reception of the Gospel
    One of the important issues about this gospel message has to do with how one receives the salvation offered in the gospel. The fact that God offers us salvation from sin’s penalty and power with the glorious promise that this will one day result in the glorious reign of Christ on earth with sin, death, and Satan as vanquished foes is glorious news to be sure. However, the fact that God offers us salvation as a free gift through faith in Christ is good news beyond description. Paul clearly links the gospel with faith in Galatians 3:6-9.

    3:6 Just as Abraham “believed God, and it was credited to him as righteousness,” 3:7 so then, understand that those who believe are the sons of Abraham. 3:8 And the scripture, foreseeing that God would justify the Gentiles by faith, proclaimed the gospel to Abraham ahead of time, saying, “all the nations will be blessed in you.” 3:9 So then those who believe are blessed along with Abraham the believer.

    If the salvation offered to us were dependent on our merit or our ability to keep the law, it would not be good news because of our sinfulness and complete inability to keep the law or any kind of righteous principles as a means of our justification or right standing with God.

    19 Now we know that whatever the Law says, it speaks to those who are under the Law, that every mouth may be closed, and all the world may become accountable to God; 20 because by the works of the Law no flesh will be justified in His sight; for through the Law comes the knowledge of sin (Rom. 3:19-20 NASB).

    16 yet we know that no one is justified by the works of the law but by the faithfulness of Jesus Christ. And we have come to believe in Christ Jesus, so that we may be justified by the faithfulness of Christ and not by the works of the law, because by the works of the law no one will be justified (Gal. 2:16 NASB).

    Why is this element of grace such wonderful news? Because it guarantees justification with God and the reason is that justification is based on the accomplished work and merit of Jesus Christ.

    4:13 For the promise to Abraham or to his descendants that he would inherit the world was not through the law, but through the righteousness that comes by faith. 4:14 For if they become heirs by the law, faith is empty and the promise is nullified. 4:15 For the law brings wrath, because where there is no law there is no transgression either. 4:16 For this reason it is by faith that it may be by grace, with the result that the promise may be certain to all the descendants—not only to those who are under the law, but also to those who have the faith of Abraham, who is the father of us all (Rom. 4:13-16, emphasis mine).

    Warnings About
    ‘Another Gospel’ Which is Not a Gospel
    One of the beautiful and joyful aspects of the message of salvation in Christ that makes it such good news is the element of grace (Acts 20:24). Salvation is the free gift of God to be received by faith alone in Christ alone (Rev. 21:6; 22:17; Rom. 4:4-5; Eph. 2:8-9; Tit. 3:4-5). But the message of grace goes contrary to the heart and thinking of man who intuitively thinks in terms of merit. After all, you can’t get something for nothing—at least not if its worth anything. Man has always had a problem with grace and this is easily seen in the book of Acts. From the very early days of the church, it has faced the problem of those who wanted to add some form of works to the message of grace.

    In Acts 15:1 we read these words: “Unless you are circumcised according to the custom of Moses, you cannot be saved.” Verse 5 tells us that these were men from the sect of the Pharisees who had believed. From within its own ranks (they were members of the church) a controversy broke out concerning the exact nature and content of the gospel message. Later the apostle Paul had to deal with a similar controversy in the book of Galatians. Writing regarding those who wanted to deny the gospel of grace, Paul wrote, “Now this matter arose because of the false brothers with false pretenses who slipped in unnoticed to spy out our freedom that we have in Christ Jesus, to make us slaves. But we did not surrender to them even for a moment, so that the truth of the gospel would remain with you” (Gal. 2:4-5).

    So, the apostle warned of those who offer a gospel of works for salvation rather than grace. We should remember, as Paul teaches us in Romans 4 and 11. If it is by grace, it is no longer by works and if by works, it is no longer by grace (see Rom. 4:3-4; 11:6). So in reality, any time someone offers a gospel of works, it is not the gospel—a message of good news. Instead it is bad news, it is false, and a terrible distortion.

    1:6 I am astonished that you are so quickly deserting the one who called you by the grace of Christ and following a different gospel— 1:7 not that there is another gospel; but there are some who are disturbing you and wanting to distort the gospel of Christ. 1:8 But even if we or an angel from heaven should preach a gospel contrary to the one we preached to you, let him be condemned to hell! 1:9 As we have said before, and now I say again, if any one is preaching to you a gospel contrary to what you received, let him be condemned to hell! 1:10 Am I now trying to gain the approval of people or of God? Or am I trying to please people? If I were still trying to please people, I would not be a slave of Christ (Gal. 1:6-10).

    Therefore, if distorted by rejection of the truth that all God does for us in Christ is by grace alone through faith apart from works or by a denial of who Jesus is, then the “gospel” is a “different gospel, which is in fact, no gospel at all (Gal. 1:7).”

    Conclusion
    In summary, what is the gospel? It is the message of the good news of salvation, the word of truth offered to mankind by grace through faith in the finished work of Christ on the cross. It is a message not only of eternal life, but one that encompasses the total plan of God to redeem people from the ravages of sin, death, Satan, and the curse that now covers the earth.

    The world is blinded to the gospel by Satan who wants to keep people from seeing the glorious nature of the gospel of Christ (2 Cor. 4:3-4), but the Christian should never be ashamed of the gospel nor reticent to share it because the gospel is the power of God unto salvation to everyone who believes for the righteousness of God is revealed in the gospel (Rom. 1:16-17).

    Furthermore, the gospel does not come simply in words. “For our gospel did not come to you merely in words, but in power and in the Holy Spirit and with full conviction (in much assurance) (1 Thess. 1:5).

    Of course, the gospel is a message of words since words are basic to the intelligent communication of God’s truth. As a message, the gospel is a witness to the historical work of God in the person and work of Christ for which the right words are crucial. However, this message is not merely a message of words. Words can be very eloquent, persuasive, and entertaining and they may move people emotionally and intellectually, but such can not save them and bring them into the family of God (see 1 Cor. 2:1ff). Thus, the apostle added, the gospel came “also in power.”

    In contrast to mere words, the gospel came “with power.” Some would like to relate this to miraculous works as authenticating signs, but normally, the plural, “powers,” would be used if that were meant (see Matt. 13:54; 14:2; 1 Cor. 12:10; Gal. 3:5; Heb. 2:4; 6:5). Others would relate it to the inward power in the messengers as a result of the filling of the Spirit, but this important characteristic is brought out by the next prepositional phrase mentioned in 1 Thessalonians 1:5, “with” or “by the Spirit.” Rather, could it not refer simply to the inherent power of the gospel as the “Word of God which is alive and powerful” (Heb. 4:12)? It is not just a message of words, but a message which is living, active, powerful and able to bring people into a saving relationship with the living God for one simple reason: It is God’s Word and it is truth. It is the true revelation of God’s activity in Jesus Christ. See also the apostle’s comment in 1 Thessalonians 2:13.

    But Paul quickly adds, “and in the Holy Spirit.” This takes us to the second of the positive elements that gave these missionaries their boldness in presenting the gospel. Paul and his associates knew they were indwelt by the Spirit as their helper or enabler for ministry (John 14:16, 26; 15:26; 16:7f; Acts 1:8). The Spirit of God, as the third person of the Trinity, is called “the Spirit of Truth” because of His role in taking the truth of the Word and revealing it to men (see John 14:17; 15;26; 16:8-13; 1 John 4:6; Acts 1:8; 1 Cor. 2:6-16). Because of the blindness and hardness of men’s heart, they are powerless to even desire, much less grasp the life-giving truth of the gospel (cf. Rom. 3:11), but by the powerful pre-salvation ministry of the Spirit who led the missionaries (see Acts 16:6-10), who prepares hearts (Acts 16:14), and who convicts and draws men to God (Rom. 2:4; John 12:32; 16:8f), some will listen, grasp, and believe the gospel and experience its saving power (see also 2 Thess. 2:13).

    Thus, the apostle added a third positive element concerning the gospel which they brought to the Thessalonians—“and with full conviction.” This point us to the faith and confidence of the missionaries. It was not in their looks, in their beaming personalities, in their eloquence or oratorical skill, nor in their methodology that they trusted. They preached the gospel with conviction resting in the fact they were preaching the powerful, life-giving truth of God fortified by the powerful ministry of the Spirit of God who worked both in the missionaries and in their hearers.

    May we realize with Paul that the gospel is a sacred trust (1 Tim. 1:11). Thus, may we with the apostle be under divine compulsion to proclaim it (1 Cor. 9:16), and seek the prayer of others that we may carry out the task of sharing the gospel with boldness (Eph. 6:19). This will often involve us in opposition (1 Thess. 2:2) and affliction (2 Tim. 1:8), but the gospel of salvation is “the word of truth” (Eph. 1:13).


    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

    1 Colin Brown, general editor, The New International Dictionary of New Testament Theology, (Zondervan, Grand Rapids, 1976), Volume 2, 107.

    2 Colin Brown, 107.

    3 Charles F. Pfeiffer, Wycliffe Bible Encyclopedia, (Chicago, IL: Moody Press, 1975), electronic media.

    4 Unless otherwise note, all quotations are from the NET Bible www.bible.org.

    5 Charles F. Pfeiffer, electronic media.

    6 John Hart, "The Use and Abuse of Romans 10:9-10," Journal of Grace Evangelical Society, ed. Robert N. Wilkin, Vol. 12, no. 23, Autumn (1999) : 17.

    7 Hart, 17.
    .

  9. #9

    Re: What is the gospel??

    Quote Originally Posted by hmg1994 View Post
    what is the gospel??? how do you explain christianity to people who don't know what it is?
    GOOD NEWS! You don't have to pay the price for your own sins; Jesus died to take the punishment that you and I deserve,
    ...and we get THE BLESSING that God intented for us from the beginning....a restored relationship with the Father, His favor, and eternal life!

    Thank you Jesus!

    Faithful

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    in the gap
    Posts
    8,498
    Blog Entries
    19

    Re: What is the gospel??

    Quote Originally Posted by markedward View Post
    Jesus is King.

    As simply as it could possibly get: We kill ourselves by doing evil things, which cuts us off from God. Jesus brings us back to life, and brings us back to God.
    ^^ What he said.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    London - UK
    Posts
    685

    Re: What is the gospel??

    The gospel is good news!

    We sin, and will one day have to give account of this to God. Jesus died and rose again, so that we can stand before God and be forgiven, rather then condemned.
    Jesus Christ....who do you say He is?


    Beloved, believe not every spirit, but try the spirits whether they are of God: because many false prophets are gone out into the world. 1 John 4:1

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Monrovia Ca
    Posts
    2,293
    Blog Entries
    4

    Re: What is the gospel??

    For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whosoever believes on Him should not perish, but have everlasting life.

    1. All have sinned. ( Romans 3:23)
    2. The wages of sin is death. ( physical, spiritual, and the second death) ( Romans 6:23)
    3. Jesus came to tasted death for every man, ( died in our place). ( Romans 5:8)
    4. Jesus rose from the dead ( bodily) ( Romans 10: 9)
    5. Everyone who believes and trusts Jesus will be saved from death and hell. ( Romans 10:9)
    6 .Everyone who calls on the name of Jesus will be saved. ( Romans 10:13)

    The Gospel is that Jesus was born, lived a sinless life, died on the cross for our sins, and rose from the dead. If a person repents, ( turns from their sins to God), and believes the Gospel and trusts Christ to save them, they receive eternal life!
    1 John 1:7- But if we walk in the light, as he is in the light, we have fellowship one with another, and the blood of Jesus Christ his Son cleanseth us from all sin.

    2 Corinthians 7:1- Having therefore these promises, dearly beloved, let us cleanse ourselves from all filthiness of the flesh and spirit, perfecting holiness in the fear of God.

    "My heart was once hard and dark. Then God turned on the Light and the Water."

  13. #13

    Re: What is the gospel??

    Quote Originally Posted by Ta-An View Post
    A relationship with the Savior
    True. And yet, so much more.

    There are those who say, "You can be in saved relationship with Jesus but still walking in sin; backsliding (into fornication, drunkenness, stealing, etcetera) does not damage salvation."

    Yes, it does.
    Quote Originally Posted by hmg1994
    what is the gospel??? how do you explain christianity to people who don't know what it is?
    People don't need Jesus. Walk up to a secular person and say, "Jesus loves you!" And they probably will say, "Kiss off." You have to build a foundation first, and lead them to where they realize they DO need Him.

    What is that foundation? Perhaps:

    "What's the most important thing in the world?" A guy at work asked me that. His answer, "Life." And I said, "Not if there is something beyond life." He thought for a moment, grinned and said, "Touche". This was a significant thing, because he's an atheist.

    "There is no other foundation that can be laid, but Jesus."



    What is the most important thing in the world? What is life? Why are we here? Is there something after we die, or is it all darkness and emptiness? How can we know which of the thousands of religions are the truth --- don't all roads lead to God? Surely a righteous God will not condemn a good person, who really sought the truth. Can Jews or Moslems or Hindus or Buddhists or Mormons or JW's go to Heaven? What about Indians and Eskimos and Aborigines? Who are you to say you know the only way?

    Do you know the answers to these? I like to begin with C.S.Lewis, the "three-fold argument". In a court of law, legally speaking, the Christian Bible is an accurate account of Jesus' life and words. Jesus said He was God, and that He was the only way. There is no disputing the accuracy of the record (we could have further discussion on evidence). So Jesus was what He said He was, or He was not and knew it (was a bold-faced-liar, died for a lie), or He was not and did NOT know it (was a raving lunatic and His whole ministry was the accomplishment of an insane man).

    Lord, liar, or lunatic. In any case, if He was not raised from the dead, then the Resurrection was the biggest con of all time.

    "Salvation"? Saved from what? The world has no grasp of eternity. They have heard of Hell, but only as an epithet. Why would God send a good person to Hell? They need to know there IS no good person, apart from God Himself; we are all fallen, weak and corrupt. So Jesus came to save us from Hell? NO! Escaping Hell is only the consequence of what Jesus is all about; a happy consequence, but merely the effect nevertheless.

    What is salvation? What is it to belong to God? What is eternal life?

    "Father, eternal life is knowing You, and knowing (Me)." Jn17:3.


    What? Knowing Jesus? But Jesus died two thousand years ago! There's no way we can know Him, is there?!

    Yes. Because He didn't STAY dead.



    Why did the veil tear? The moment Jesus died, the veil tore; for whom? It tore for me! And for you! And for the person you are telling about Jesus!!! Each of us is invited behind the veil --- why?

    "Our FELLOWSHIP is with the Father, and with His Son." 1Jn1:3.

    We come up to the veil, a temple-feature behind which was the very presence of Almighty God. We come with the stench of the stain of our sins, forever barred from entering into the presence of Him-who-can-stand-no-sin. Barred forever by our sins, which our weak flesh could not avoid. Then Jesus died on a Cross --- why? He took our very sins upon His own shoulders. His blood fell --- ON US! With each drop of blood that strikes us, the stains of our sins fall away! Washed snow-white (our cleansed hearts are as snow, no matter WHAT our ethnicity!) by His blood, we then turn towards the veil -- and joyfully enter into God's presence!

    Why? What does God want from us? Simple --- He loves us, and desires us to love Him back. He celebrates our company, rejoices in our presence, He FELLOWSHIPS with us!


    And THAT is what it's about! Whoever turns to God, does so because he or she falls in LOVE with God. We are the bride, Jesus is the bridegroom. If anyone thinks "salvation is believing Jesus", he should read James2:19; it is not WHAT we know, but WHO we know, and Who knows us!


    The world does not need Jesus, because the world thinks itself good already. Humanism is the opposite of Christianity; and it asserts "Given opportunity men can achieve goodness by themselves."



    So build the foundation; speak to them of the fallenness of Humankind, and the difference between RELIGION, and CHRISTIANITY. Religion (every last one of them!) asserts men do good deeds to achieve Heaven/eternal-life/nirvana/whatever, and asserts that Jesus is not God. Christianity asserts Jesus WAS God (no other sane religion asserts this about its founder), and salvation is a free undeserved gift. The impediment to receiving Jesus, is only "love of sin"; the Great Lie is thinking one will have so much less fun if Christian. Jesus said, "I have spoken these things to you that My joy may be in you, and that your joy may be full."

    What if you try to do enough good deeds to impress God, but fail? For religion the Judgment is a TERRIFYING thing, standing there in a pool of cold sweat while your eternal life, or destruction, is decided! For US, death is a JOYFUL thing, because we were bought NOT by our deeds but by His LOVE! It is with JOY that we enter His presence, for He has entered God's presence for us!

    Because of the fellowship-nature of salvation, we do not bathe ourselves BEFORE coming to God --- He is our cleansing. He loves us NOW, dirty and reprobate, AND He desires us to be cleansed and righteous because that is the only way we will inhabit and be inhabited by joy. There is no fulfillment in anything, or anyone else.

    The Christian Bible has never been falsified; it is credible. The New Testament was written thousands of years after the Old, and Jesus fulfilled 300+ prophecies -- provable. Those who have experienced Jesus and the Spirit, can testify to their power and presence. It is not a doctrine, nor dogma, nor belief, nor list of do's and don'ts; it is Jesus truly bodily and personally indwelling he/she-who-receives-Him, and the Spirit indwelling.

    Salvation is an indwelt fellowship of love, and we are not saved from Hell but from our sins; from the darkness and loneliness that is all that is outside of Jesus.


    If you die in your sins, then the darkness and loneliness is yours, forever. If you die in CHRIST, then He receives you to Himself that you rejoice WITH Him, forever. Once a person recognizes the truth of this, how can they choose to reject such love?

  14. #14

    Re: What is the gospel??

    Deut 18:18 I will raise them up a Prophet from among their brethren, like unto thee, and will put my words in his mouth; and he shall speak unto them all that I shall command him. Jesus?

    Acts 10:34-38 `Of a truth, I perceive that God is no respecter of persons, but in every nation he who is fearing Him, and is working righteousness, is acceptable to Him; the word that he sent to the sons of Israel, proclaiming good news -- peace through Jesus Christ (this one is Lord of all,) ye -- ye have known; -- the word that came throughout all Judea, having begun from Galilee, after the baptism that John preached; Jesus who from Nazareth -- how God did anoint him with the Holy Spirit and power;

    (The prophet like Moses) Mark 1:1,9,14,15 The beginning of the gospel of Jesus Christ, the Son of God; And it came to pass in those days, that Jesus came from Nazareth of Galilee, and was baptized of John in Jordan. (Anointed)
    Now after that John was put in prison, Jesus (the prophet of God's word) came into Galilee preaching the gospel,
    of the kingdom of God, And saying, The time is fulfilled, and the kingdom of God is at hand: repent ye, and believe the gospel.

    Paul says Acts 20:25 And now, behold, I know that ye all, among whom I have gone preaching the kingdom of God, shall see my face no more. And 1 Cor 15:1,2 Moreover, brethren, I declare unto you the gospel which I preached unto you, which also ye have received, and wherein ye stand; By which also ye are saved, if ye keep in memory what I preached unto you, unless ye have believed in vain.
    Why, were the next two verses of such importance concerning the gospel of the kingdom of God to Paul? 1 Cor 15:3,4 For I delivered unto you first of all that which I also received, how that Christ (The Anointed, prophet priest and king of) died for our sins according to the scriptures; And that he was buried, and that he rose again the third day according to the scriptures:
    1 John 4:2,3 Hereby know ye the Spirit of God: Every spirit that confesseth that Jesus Christ is come in the flesh is of God: And every spirit that confesseth not that Jesus Christ is come in the flesh is not of God: 1 Cor 15:50 Now this I say, brethren, that flesh and blood cannot inherit the kingdom of God; 1 Cor 15:16,17,18 For if the dead rise not, then is not Christ raised: And if Christ be not raised, your faith vain; ye are yet in your sins. Then they also which are fallen asleep in Christ are perished. The kingdom of God for flesh born man can only exist through the resurrection from the dead. Paul in Acts 17:2,3 preached for three weeks or three sabbaths to the Thessalonians that the Christ (The Anointed) must needs have, therefore imperative , that he die and be risen from the dead. Why? Why? Why? Jesus the only begotten of the Father God was also the seed of Abraham. The seed to whom the promise was made Gal3:19

    Jesus (the prophet) put it this way; John 3:3,6,7 Jesus answered and said unto him, Verily, verily, I say unto thee, Except a man be born again, he cannot see the kingdom of God. That which is born of the flesh is flesh; and that which is born of the Spirit is spirit. Marvel not that I said unto thee, Ye must be born again.

    Acts 13:34 And as concerning that he raised him up from the dead, no more to return to corruption, he said on this wise, I will give you the sure mercies of David. Heb 5:8,9 Though he were a Son, yet learned he obedience by the things which he suffered; And being made perfect, (by resurrection) he became the author of (by inheritance) eternal salvation unto all them that obey him;
    We are joint heirs with Christ.

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Kosciusko, Mississippi
    Posts
    1,190
    Blog Entries
    177

    Re: What is the gospel??

    There is something in this that I think needs to be clarified, if that's the right word:

    By declaring before God that you believe you deserve eternity in Hell, you aren't automatically saying you believe everything bad that's ever happened to you is because of your own sin.

    I absolutely believe I deserve eternity in Hell. I told God that I believe I do. I also believe that many of the bad things that have happened to me in my life WEREN'T caused by my own sin.

    Many times, when I said I believe a lot of the bad things that have happened to me weren't caused by my own sin, many people who professed to be Christians presented it like I wasn't accepting ANY responsibility for ANYTHING. That's no where NEAR what I was actually saying.

    I can very much see why unsaved people would be severely turned off when people who profess to be Christians do this kind of thing.
    Last edited by gringo300; Feb 28th 2012 at 04:29 AM. Reason: added important part to the post

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 9
    Last Post: Feb 8th 2011, 07:39 PM
  2. Replies: 0
    Last Post: Dec 31st 2010, 03:11 AM
  3. Please Help Help on the gospel
    By hmg1994 in forum Bible Chat
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: Dec 19th 2010, 01:15 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •