cure-real
Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Thread: Questions from the book of HOSEA

Exclamation Questions from the book of HOSEA

This is a Question and Answer study of the Book of HOSEA to help keep us in the Word. It is not an in depth study but more of a set of questions to motivate each of us to read.

We will be using the ESV (English Standard Version) to get the questions from, so if the wording is different from what some of you may be reading, this is why.

Thank you all for following along!

HOSEA

I'm going to start off by doing a little background on the dates of writing and some other information that I believe will help enhance this study.

I will be getting my information from the ESV Study Bible (Online Version)

Date

The OT prophets commonly dated their ministries in conjunction with reigning kings. In Hosea's day the Judean kings were Uzziah, Jotham, Ahaz, and Hezekiah. The king of Israel (the northern kingdom, also called “Ephraim” in Hosea; see note on 4:17) was Jeroboam, son of Joash. Jeroboam's last year was 753 b.c., and Hezekiah's was 687, so Hosea's ministry was situated in this time period. The prophet's ministry was probably not that long (66 years), though a 35-year ministry is possible. The significant feature is that he ministered during the latter half of the eighth century. This period was the most turbulent and trying time in the history of Israel prior to the captivity.

The Near East at the Time of Hosea

c. 740 b.c.

Hosea prophesied to Israel and Judah during the decades surrounding the fall of Samaria to the Assyrian Empire. The resurgence of this ancient empire dominated much of the politics of the ancient Near East from the time of Jeroboam and Azariah until the empire's demise at the end of the sixth century b.c. Assyria would eventually engulf nearly the entire Near East from Ur to Ararat to Egypt.

Israel and Judah at the Time of Hosea

c. 740 b.c.

Hosea prophesied during a time of great political turbulence in Israel and Judah. The early part of his ministry witnessed a brief period of resurgence under the reign of Jeroboam II, who captured much of Syria for Israel. Within a couple decades, however, Israel and Syria attacked Judah, but Assyria in turn attacked Israel and captured Galilee and Gilead. Finally, in 722 b.c., the Assyrians captured Samaria itself and annexed the rest of Israel's territory into their empire.

I am looking forward to it!
    JDS

Re: Questions from the book of HOSEA

As soon as LT and Cup stop by I will start with the chapter questions.

I am also looking forward to it

Looking forward to it also! Hey SEEKING, pretty cool that we were thinking of the same book. I'll be back later on to answer questions for chapter 1.

Wow I can't believe you were both thinking of the same book. That is pretty cool.
    JDS

Hosea 1 (English Standard Version)

"The word of the ____ that came to ____, the son of ____, in the days of ____, ____, ___, and _____, kings of ____, and in the days of ______ the son of ____, king of _____."

What type of wife did the Lord tell Hosea to take?

What was the name of Hosea's first child?

What was the name of Hosea's second child?

What was the name of Hosea's third child?

Finish the verse: "And the children of Judah and the children of Israel shall be gathered together,......"

The word of the LORD that came to Hosea, the son of Beeri, in the days of Uzziah, Jotham, Ahaz, and Hezekiah, kings of Judah, and in the days of Jeroboam the son of Joash, king of Israel.

What type of wife did the Lord tell Hosea to take? a wife of whoredom.

What was the name of Hosea's first child? Jezreel.

What was the name of Hosea's second child? No Mercy.

What was the name of Hosea's third child? Not My People.

Finish the verse: "And the children of Judah and the children of Israel shall be gathered together,......" and they shall appoint for themselves one head. And they shall go up from the land, for great shall be the day of Jezreel.

Well done Cup. I will wait to see who else stops by, then i will prepare the next questions. Thanks always for participating.

"The word of the Lord that came to Hosea, the son of Beeri, in the days of Uzziah, Jotham, Ahaz, and Hezekiah, kings of Judah, and in the days of Jeroboam the son of Joash, king of Israel."

What type of wife did the Lord tell Hosea to take? A wife of whoredom.

What was the name of Hosea's first child? Jezreel.

What was the name of Hosea's second child? No Mercy (Lo-ruhama).

What was the name of Hosea's third child? Not my people (Lo-ammi).

Finish the verse: "And the children of Judah and the children of Israel shall be gathered together,......"

".....and they shall appoint for themselves one head. And they shall go up from the land, for great shall be the day of Jezreel."

Great job LT. Standby for the next set of questions.

Hosea 2 (English Standard Version)

"Say to your _____, "You are my _____,"and to your ____, "You have received ____."

Finish the verse: "Upon her children also I will have no mercy,......"

Why did the wife say she would go after her lovers?

"She shall _____ her _____ but not ______ them, and she shall ___ them but shall not ___ them."

Finish the verse: ""Therefore, behold, I will allure her,......"

"and I will __ her for myself in the ___. And I will have ____ on __ ____, and I will __ to __ __ _____, 'You are my _____'; and he shall say, 'You are my ___."

"The word of the LORD that came to HOSEA, the son of BEERI, in the days of UZZIAH, JOTHAM, AHAZ, and HEZEKIAH, kings of JUDAH, and in the days of JEROBOAM the son of JOASH, king of ISRAEL."

What type of wife did the Lord tell Hosea to take? a wife of whoredom

What was the name of Hosea's first child? Jezreel

What was the name of Hosea's second child? No Mercy

What was the name of Hosea's third child? Not My People

[COLOR=red]Finish the verse: "And the children of Judah and the children of Israel shall be gathered together, And they shall appoint for themselves one head......"
    JDS

Hosea 2 (English Standard Version)

"Say to your BROTHERS, "You are my PEOPLE,"and to your SISTERS, "You have received MERCY."

Finish the verse: "Upon her children also I will have no mercy,BECAUSE THEY ARE CHILDREN OF WHOREDOM"

Why did the wife say she would go after her lovers? FOR BREAD, WATER, WOOL FLAX, OIL AND DRINK

"She shall PURSUE her LOVERS but not OVERTAKE them, and she shall SEEK them but shall not FIND them."

Finish the verse: ""Therefore, behold, I will allure her, BRING HER INTO THE WILDERNESS AND SPEAK TENDERLY TO HER."

"and I will SOW her for myself in the LAND. And I will have MERCY on NO MERCY, and I will SAY to NOT MY PEOPLE, 'You are my PEOPLE; and he shall say, 'You are my GOD."[/B][/QUOTE]
    JDS

Thread Information