cure-real

Thread: What does God's Word say about "looking back to look ahead" ?

What does God's Word say about "looking back to look ahead" ?

Hi brothers and sisters, I will be leading my final small group study this week as I'm stepping down and switching churches. Tuesday will be my official last act of service for this church and for this small group. We're doing a special 1-off study that I will prepare and craft myself. I've called it "Looking (Back) To The Future."

With 2010 just passing, I want the group to reflect back on the year that was and see where and how God moved in their lives. Likewise, I also want us to focus on the new year and see where we want to go, and where we feel GOD wants us to go (His will, not ours).

Can anyone provide me with helpful scripture as a backbone for key points? Whatever you think might help. For example, this could be one question I'll put in the study:

1. The Bible encourages us to keep meeting with one another and encouraging one another (Hebrews 10:25). In 2010 who rang true for this and in 2011, who comes to mind as someone you need to meet up with and encourage?

Finally, what does the Bible state about looking on one's past (to know where we're going?) I know there's Luke 9:62 which states Jesus replied, "No one who puts his hand to the plow and looks back is fit for service in the kingdom of God."

I want to make sure this study is sound and Biblical. Please let me know, brothers and sisters, any piece of advice I should know or keep well in mind while crafting the study questions about 2010/2011 for my small group. Thanks! Pray each of you will have a blessed new year

Blog Entries

Re: What does God's Word say about "looking back to look ahead" ?

Think about if you are plowing and looking back....how straight would the rows be?
    Come unto me all that labor and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest. Matthew 11:28

Quote Originally Posted by Ninna View Post
    Think about if you are plowing and looking back....how straight would the rows be?
    Very true. Good stuff, Ninna. I also ran into this article which really helped me out to think about this study:

http://www.bible-knowledge.com/letting-go-of-your-past/

Very convicting article. I'll be sure to share some of it with my small group tomorrow.

Quote Originally Posted by SteveL View Post
    Finally, what does the Bible state about looking on one's past (to know where we're going?) I know there's Luke 9:62 which states Jesus replied, "No one who puts his hand to the plow and looks back is fit for service in the kingdom of God."
    When looking backwards, there are a couple of things to keep in mind.

1. Don't look back to the negative things.

Phil 3:13-14
    13 Brethren, I do not regard myself as having laid hold of it yet; but one thing I do: forgetting what lies behind and reaching forward to what lies ahead, 14 I press on toward the goal for the prize of the upward call of God in Christ Jesus.
    NASU

and

Phil 4:8-9

8 Finally, brethren, whatever is true, whatever is honorable, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is of good repute, if there is any excellence and if anything worthy of praise, dwell on these things. 9 The things you have learned and received and heard and seen in me, practice these things, and the God of peace will be with you.
    NASU

2. But do look back at the encouraging things and remember what God has done for you.

Josh 4:2-7
    2 "Take for yourselves twelve men from the people, one man from each tribe, 3 and command them, saying, 'Take up for yourselves twelve stones from here out of the middle of the Jordan, from the place where the priests' feet are standing firm, and carry them over with you and lay them down in the lodging place where you will lodge tonight.'" 4 So Joshua called the twelve men whom he had appointed from the sons of Israel, one man from each tribe; 5 and Joshua said to them, "Cross again to the ark of the Lord your God into the middle of the Jordan, and each of you take up a stone on his shoulder, according to the number of the tribes of the sons of Israel. 6 "Let this be a sign among you, so that when your children ask later, saying, 'What do these stones mean to you?' 7 then you shall say to them, 'Because the waters of the Jordan were cut off before the ark of the covenant of the Lord; when it crossed the Jordan, the waters of the Jordan were cut off.' So these stones shall become a memorial to the sons of Israel forever."
    NASU

Deut 7:17-19

17 "If you should say in your heart, 'These nations are greater than I; how can I dispossess them?' 18 you shall not be afraid of them; you shall well remember what the Lord your God did to Pharaoh and to all Egypt: 19 the great trials which your eyes saw and the signs and the wonders and the mighty hand and the outstretched arm by which the Lord your God brought you out. So shall the Lord your God do to all the peoples of whom you are afraid.
    NASU

Grace to you,

Mark
    Matt 9:13
    13 "But go and learn what this means: ' I DESIRE COMPASSION,AND NOT SACRIFICE,' for I did not come to call the righteous, but sinners."
    NASU

Blog Entries

high five Mark! I was thinking of Philippians 3:13-14 as well (only I was thinking it in the KJV)

I think it's good to look back to see all that God has done and all that He has brought you through, but not to look back and dwell on things you can't change.
    Look forward, follow Him through 2011!
    .................The message of the cross divides the human race." ~MW~

........ ... " LORD, I beseech thee, let now thine ear be attentive to the prayer of thy servant..."
    .................................................. .................................................. ...Nehemiah 1:11a

Hi brothers and sisters, I will be leading my final small group study this week as I'm stepping down and switching churches. Tuesday will be my official last act of service for this church and for this small group. We're doing a special 1-off study that I will prepare and craft myself. I've called it "Looking (Back) To The Future."

With 2010 just passing, I want the group to reflect back on the year that was and see where and how God moved in their lives. Likewise, I also want us to focus on the new year and see where we want to go, and where we feel GOD wants us to go (His will, not ours).

Can anyone provide me with helpful scripture as a backbone for key points? Whatever you think might help. For example, this could be one question I'll put in the study:

1. The Bible encourages us to keep meeting with one another and encouraging one another (Hebrews 10:25). In 2010 who rang true for this and in 2011, who comes to mind as someone you need to meet up with and encourage?

I want to make sure this study is sound and Biblical. Please let me know, brothers and sisters, any piece of advice I should know or keep well in mind while crafting the study questions about 2010/2011 for my small group. Thanks! Pray each of you will have a blessed new year
    Shouldn't it be "don't look back?" You even quoted the bible yourself: “No one who puts his hand to the plow and looks back is fit for the kingdom of God (Luke 9:62 ESV)." How does this say that we should look "back?" Looking back wastes time! "And which of you by being anxious can add a single hour to his span of life (Luke 12:25 ESV)." Don't look back, look to God! Concerning judgment: "On that day, let the one who is on the housetop, with his goods in the house, not come down to take them away, and likewise let the one who is in the field not turn back. Remember Lot’s wife (Luke 17:31-32 ESV)." Lot's wife turned back when the angels told her not to: "But Lot’s wife, behind him, looked back, and she became a pillar of salt (Gen 19:26 ESV)."

"To you I lift up my eyes,
    O you who are enthroned in the heavens!
    Behold, as the eyes of servants
    look to the hand of their master,
    as the eyes of a maidservant
    to the hand of her mistress,
    so our eyes look to the Lord our God,
    till he has mercy upon us (Psalms 123:1-2 ESV)."

"And as Moses lifted up the serpent in the wilderness, so must the Son of Man be lifted up, that whoever believes in him may have eternal life (John 3:14-15 ESV)."

“The light is among you for a little while longer. Walk while you have the light, lest darkness overtake you. The one who walks in the darkness does not know where he is going. 36 While you have the light, believe in the light, that you may become sons of light (John 12:35-36 ESV)."

Quote Originally Posted by david View Post
    Shouldn't it be "don't look back?" You even quoted the bible yourself: “No one who puts his hand to the plow and looks back is fit for the kingdom of God (Luke 9:62 ESV)." How does this say that we should look "back?" Looking back wastes time!

I think God is not opposed to us reminiscing here and there among old friends. I also think He isn't opposed to us looking back on things we did wrong (because we did them on our own strength). The Holy Spirit convicts us in that matter. He reveals things for us to understand clearly so we may not repeat those mistakes in the future. I think it's OK to look back. The difference is, are you looking back to look ahead, or are you crippling yourself by remaining mired in the past and the things you did wrong?

Like most things, it's all about where your heart and purpose lies. A pity party never does any good. However, reflecting on lessons God's taught us by looking back in our past is fine I believe. Just make it brief, and then, look ahead as you plow on.

So far, here are my questions for tonight's study

---

1. List three blessings God brought into your life in 2010.

2. What was the biggest trial/challenge you went through in 2010?

3. What was the biggest lesson God taught you about Him/yourself in 2010?

4. Where do you feel God leading you in 2011? What are your goals for this year?

5. When we get into the Word, the Word gets into us. How was your Bible reading and reflection time in 2010, and what changes (if any) do you hope to make about it in 2011? Be specific.

But Jesus said to him, “No one, having put his hand to the plow, and looking back, is fit for the kingdom of God.” (Luke 9:62)

“Not that I have already attained, or am already perfected; but I press on, that I may lay hold of that for which Christ Jesus has also laid hold of me. Brethren, I do not count myself to have apprehended; but one thing I do, forgetting those things which are behind and reaching forward to those things which are ahead. I press toward the goal for the prize of the upward call of God in Christ Jesus.” (Philippians 3:12)

6. How do these two verses speak to you? What do you make of them?

---

Any thoughts or suggestions on revision?

Blog Entries

Your study looks good and you should get some interesting reflections and responses. Let us know how it goes.
    Come unto me all that labor and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest. Matthew 11:28

Thanks Ninna! It's encouraging to hear you say the study questions look good. Any time I craft my own questions (rather than pull them from a "professional/mature source") I wonder if they are "good enough." Yes, I will post back here with an update on how the study (and announcement of my departure) goes. Please pray for grace and may each of us see the evening through Christ's eyes. May there be no hard feelings or feelings of bitterness, resentment and regret. Like Philippians 3:12 tells us, let us just press on and look ahead to the goal of Christ Jesus.

If you brothers and sisters reading this now could pray for me and my small group for tonight to go smoothly, with lots of grace, understanding and love, I'd appreciate that very much. Thanks in advance

I'll post back here late tonight or tomorrow

But Jesus said to him, “No one, having put his hand to the plow, and looking back, is fit for the kingdom of God.” (Luke 9:62)
    Somewhat coincidently perhaps, our recent Sunday sermon was preached on this text (as well as the few others around it). It was presented not so much as looking back to the past events, but ensuring our allegiance is to be fully with Christ. Maybe this still fits in with what you are presenting.
    It is only the cynic who claims “to speak the truth” at all times and in all places to all men in the same way, but who, in fact, displays nothing but a lifeless image of the truth… He dons the halo of the fanatical devotee of truth who can make no allowance for human weaknesses; but, in fact, he is destroying the living truth between men. He wounds shame, desecrates mystery, breaks confidence, betrays the community in which he lives, and laughs arrogantly at the devastation he has wrought and at the human weakness which “cannot bear the truth”. Dietrich Bonhoeffer, in Ethics.

Quote Originally Posted by teddyv View Post
    Somewhat coincidently perhaps, our recent Sunday sermon was preached on this text (as well as the few others around it). It was presented not so much as looking back to the past events, but ensuring our allegiance is to be fully with Christ. Maybe this still fits in with what you are presenting.
    Very good point Teddy. IMO, it's about looking back to Egypt and longing for the leaks and onions. Thank God that while I may not be worthy or fit for the kingdom, he is willing to shower me with grace and enable me to let go of the things that I use to long for. When we realize this is in us, then we can become poor in spirit and the kingdom is then ours.
    Matt 9:13
    13 "But go and learn what this means: ' I DESIRE COMPASSION,AND NOT SACRIFICE,' for I did not come to call the righteous, but sinners."
    NASU

I preached a sermon for a graduation a few years ago that comes to mind as possibly being helpful for you, if nothing else to stimulate your thoughts in the area of always learning, looking ahead to the future...

http://www.sermoncentral.com/sermons...udy-106914.asp
    The Pastor's Study
    “The easiest way to keep a broken vessel full is to keep the faucet constantly running.” – DL Moody

Hug Re: What does God's Word say about "looking back to look ahead" ?

Hey everyone,
    Just a quick update. Wow. Was God's presence in our midst tonight or what. We had our study from 7:45-8:45, then the Pastor came (Bob) with two of his disciples which he works with every other Tuesday. Then, I spent about 20 minutes making the announcement and citing reasons why, and how the Holy Spirit has stirred in my heart. I didn't really go into it with any written notes, I shared from the heart and Pastor Bob said at the end it wasn't just me talking. It was more than myself talking. It was also the Spirit. He said I have a communications gift where I'm able to share candidly and transparently in a way that affects the core of people in a positive, Christ-centered manner. Wow. He also applauded me for my courage to admit openly that I had made desiring a spouse too much of an idol, which is something, in his words, "Most of us here in the room wish we had the courage to admit!"

I'll never forget his words of encouragement and love. They mean a lot to me because I know that's God's love shining through him there.

After I made the announcement of my departure from leading the group and also switching churches, Pastor Bob had an open sharing session where he encouraged anyone who wanted to share to begin with "I feel _____ at what Steven just shared." Several shared and they all blessed me, saying when they heard the news from me a week prior (of course, I wanted to be graceful so I let the core members know of this in advance), they were sad. They said I made an impact on their lives and I'm so positive and that that energy is contagious. At the same time, they see the peace and conviction in my eyes knowing that God's been moving a lot in my life and getting my attention, and I'm just obeying Him and following His leadings.

Then, they prayed for me and a smooth transition for the small group.

It was just a blessed evening and I'm so excited for what the future holds. As the Bible verses Luke 9:62 and Philippians 3:12-14 states, I won't be looking back. I've had my time to reflect on all this and really look back. Now that I have, it's time for me to press forward to the goal of Christ Jesus. I'm grateful for everyone in the group for God has used them to teach me something about God and of myself. I don't regret coming to this church at all. It's helped shape me into the person I am today, slowly growing by the grace of God.

Thanks to everyone here for your thoughts and prayers.
    It's time for us to all press forward this new year! In the name of Jesus! Amen.

In His Love,
    Steve

Thread Information