cure-real
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What do you think is the difference between joy and happiness?

What do you think is the difference between joy and happiness?

I occasionally hear people say that joy and happiness are two different things. Why do think they are the same or different?

I think they are the same but different in intensity. Also, I think there is joy from the Lord and joy from the world and joy from our circumstances, etc. IOW, I think the main difference is the source. I'll come back later and give some reasons why.
    Matt 9:13
    13 "But go and learn what this means: ' I DESIRE COMPASSION,AND NOT SACRIFICE,' for I did not come to call the righteous, but sinners."
    NASU

Blog Entries

Re: What do you think is the difference between joy and happiness?

I agree it is the source of where our joy comes from. I think of happiness as being temporary, something that makes you happy at that moment due to circumstances. Joy is something that happens inside of you and does not depend on outward circumstances. The source of joy comes from the Lord. Happiness can come from things or those around us.
    John 15:11-"These things have I spoken unto you, that My joy might remain in you, and that your joy might be full."
    .................The message of the cross divides the human race." ~MW~

........ ... " LORD, I beseech thee, let now thine ear be attentive to the prayer of thy servant..."
    .................................................. .................................................. ...Nehemiah 1:11a

Quote Originally Posted by karenoka27 View Post
    I agree it is the source of where our joy comes from. I think of happiness as being temporary, something that makes you happy at that moment due to circumstances. Joy is something that happens inside of you and does not depend on outward circumstances. The source of joy comes from the Lord. Happiness can come from things or those around us.
    John 15:11-"These things have I spoken unto you, that My joy might remain in you, and that your joy might be full."
    Are the words happy and joyful interchangeable?

For instance, I think that one can be happy because of circumstances or happy in the Lord. Or one can be joyful because of circumstances or joyful in the Lord. Are those sentences the same? I think they may be different in intensity.
    13 "But go and learn what this means: ' I DESIRE COMPASSION,AND NOT SACRIFICE,' for I did not come to call the righteous, but sinners."
    NASU

OK. I got interrupted and had to stop for a moment. Here are some definitions for joy and happiness from dictionary.com

joy - 1. the emotion of great delight or happiness caused by something exceptionally good or satisfying; keen pleasure; elation: She felt the joy of seeing her son's success.
    2. a source or cause of keen pleasure or delight; something or someone greatly valued or appreciated: Her prose style is a pure joy.
    3.the expression or display of glad feeling; festive gaiety.
    4.a state of happiness or felicity.

and happiness

1. the quality or state of being happy.
    2. good fortune; pleasure; contentment; joy.

Sometimes, joy can mean a more intense sense of happiness.

Anyway, I would describe happiness and joy as much the same emotion. The difference is, where is our treasure? What is it that makes us happy/joyful? Certainly our circumstances can! No doubt. But so can God himself.
    NASU

In a place of praying hard and trusting God while battling on my knees!
    Blog Entries

I've always though of it this way: Joy is the expression of what God is/has done in me. Happiness is the expression of what I have done.

Which is why when all I have done has failed and the world around me seems to be crashing down, I am still JOYFUL in Christ and all that is failing all around me, really doesn't matter.

Why is that homeless person who has Christ joyful compared to that successful businessman who has all he can possible own and wants to by more so he can maintain his happiness?

When the businessman looses his fortune, does he lose his happiness also?

If this same businessman was also in Christ... would he lose both his happiness and joy if he was to lose his fortune?

I think he'd still be joyful.
    Slug1--out

~Does Predestination mean: Once of the devil, Always of the devil?~

~Limitations in a Christianís life are due to limited prayer and limiting obedience~

~Forgiveness has nothing to do with forgetting that moment... it's all about freedom FROM that moment.~

~Your needs activate God's compassion and faith activates God's power~

~Three minutes is a lifetime, if you only have two, too live~

OK. Sure. But why make that distinction between joy and happiness? Does the word make that difference between those two words?
    NASU

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Brother Mark View Post
    OK. Sure. But why make that distinction between joy and happiness? Does the word make that difference between those two words?
    Don't know... do a search on the word happiness and then another search on the word joy at Biblegateway. I use the NKJV for all my searches and for the word happiness... not much.
    Slug1--out

~Limitations in a Christianís life are due to limited prayer and limiting obedience~

~Forgiveness has nothing to do with forgetting that moment... it's all about freedom FROM that moment.~

Quote Originally Posted by Slug1 View Post
    Don't know... do a search on the word happiness and then another search on the word joy at Biblegateway. I use the NKJV for all my searches and for the word happiness... not much.
    Agreed. What does blessed mean in the Psalms?

Blessed = OT:835 'esher (eh'-sher); from OT:833; happiness; only in masculine plural construction as interjection, how happy!:

(Biblesoft's New Exhaustive Strong's Numbers and Concordance with Expanded Greek-Hebrew Dictionary. Copyright © 1994, 2003, 2006 Biblesoft, Inc. and International Bible Translators, Inc.)

Just because the word isn't there doesn't mean the concept isn't.
    NASU

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Brother Mark View Post
    Agreed. What does blessed mean in the Psalms?

Blessed = OT:835 'esher (eh'-sher); from OT:833; happiness; only in masculine plural construction as interjection, how happy!:

(Biblesoft's New Exhaustive Strong's Numbers and Concordance with Expanded Greek-Hebrew Dictionary. Copyright © 1994, 2003, 2006 Biblesoft, Inc. and International Bible Translators, Inc.)

Just because the word isn't there doesn't mean the concept isn't.
    OK... so let's find all the scriptures in Psalms with the word "blessed" and dive into the context of the usage of the word blessed?

We need to see if the context of the blessings are of the work God has done "in" the person or what God has allowed them to have from the world, as in prospering them.
    Slug1--out

Quote Originally Posted by Slug1 View Post
    OK... so let's find all the scriptures in Psalms with the word "blessed" and dive into the context of the usage of the word blessed?

We need to see if the context of the blessings are of the work God has done "in" the person or what God has allowed them to have from the world, as in prospering them.
    It is a work God has done "in" the person. IMO, it's about the source. We can have joy/happiness in the Lord or joy/happiness from the world. (Though I do think that joy can be more intense than happiness they can be synonyms.) I have heard teaching that joy and happiness are different. But I can't find much difference in the words definition or usage. What I can find a difference in is the source joy may come from. Here's a few verses with blessed in it from the scriptures.

Deut 33:29

29 Happy art thou, O Israel: who is like unto thee, O people saved by the Lord, the shield of thy help, and who is the sword of thy excellency! and thine enemies shall be found liars unto thee; and thou shalt tread upon their high places.
    KJV

Job 5:17

17 Behold, happy is the man whom God correcteth: therefore despise not thou the chastening of the Almighty:
    KJV

Ps 1:1

1 Blessed is the man that walketh not in the counsel of the ungodly, nor standeth in the way of sinners, nor sitteth in the seat of the scornful.
    KJV

Ps 32:2

2 Blessed is the man unto whom the Lord imputeth not iniquity, and in whose spirit there is no guile.
    KJV

Ps 40:4

4 Blessed is that man that maketh the Lord his trust, and respecteth not the proud, nor such as turn aside to lies.
    KJV

There are plenty more scriptures where the word is used but this is a good start.
    NASU

Mark, this is just my opinion and not based in any word studies so feel free to take it or leave it - Happiness is fleeting; the shine wears off the new car, the new dress gets a rip in it, the house needs painted. It's almost always external "things" or people that make us happy. Joy is deep seated and cultivated, more internally driven in that "happy" circumstances have no effect on the joy. Happiness is laughter and smiles when things are going well. Joy is an internal peace that is always accompanied by a smile even when in the worst of circumstances.
    V

Quote Originally Posted by Vhayes View Post
    Mark, this is just my opinion and not based in any word studies so feel free to take it or leave it - Happiness is fleeting; the shine wears off the new car, the new dress gets a rip in it, the house needs painted. It's almost always external "things" or people that make us happy. Joy is deep seated and cultivated, more internally driven in that "happy" circumstances have no effect on the joy. Happiness is laughter and smiles when things are going well. Joy is an internal peace that is always accompanied by a smile even when in the worst of circumstances.
    V
    Yea. I have heard that before too. But why do we teach it that way? What is it in scripture that makes us think joy and happiness are two different things? Is it not just as correct to say that the happiness we receive from God is deeper but happiness we receive from a new car is fleeting? Why do we say that joy is different than happiness? I get that joy from the Lord and joy based in circumstances is different. What I don't get, is why we try to say joy and happiness are different. That's pretty much what I am aiming at in this thread.

Thanks for sharing. BTW, I liked your response to Andrew in his thread on joy and the point you made on the source of each. For me, that helped answer something I had wondered about before.
    NASU

I don't know, frankly. I will say that I have see evil people be happy but I have never seen one who shows joy. Maybe that's the reason I see a difference, because I have seen it?

Joy is deep seated and cultivated, more internally driven in that "happy" circumstances have no effect on the joy. Happiness is laughter and smiles when things are going well. Joy is an internal peace that is always accompanied by a smile even when in the worst of circumstances.
    V
    I was wondering how i was gonna explain it, but this quote is perfect.

I was so Happy to realise that Jesus is Lord, but the Joy of that gets more intense as i grow.

I don't know, frankly. I will say that I have see evil people be happy but I have never seen one who shows joy. Maybe that's the reason I see a difference, because I have seen it?
    But then why do you say what you see in that lost person is happiness and not joy? Is what you've seen the difference in the joy of the Lord and the joy of circumstances? Or is it the difference in joy and happiness? See what I am getting at?

The dictionary makes them synonyms. So why do we make them different? It seems to cloud something really important, IMO... that the Source of our joy is what is important and lasting and it is what makes joy abiding and deeper!
    NASU

Thread Information