James 5:8, “Be ye also patient; stablish your hearts; for the coming of the Lord draweth nigh”

1 Thessalonians 4:17, “then we who are alive and remain shall be caught up together with them in the clouds to meet the Lord”

A marvelous and wonderful event awaits you if you have accepted God’s Son, Jesus Christ as Savior and Lord of your life. When Christ descends from heaven, He will draw all believers to Himself. Those who have died in the Lord and those who are alive at His coming. The anticipation of that event should thrill the heart of every person who knows Jesus as Savior. William J. Pettingill told of the time he visited a great steel factory. The owner was a devoted Christian man. Together they walked out into the scrap metal yard. Motioning to the operator of the huge electric crane, the owner instructed him to lower a huge magnet over a wide dirt road beaten hard by the traffic from trucks going in and out of the yard. He told me to watch as he gave the signal to turn on the current to the huge and powerful magnet. Up from the cracking road leaped pieces of metal, long covered and out of sight. They were caught up to meet that powerful magnet in the air! It attracted the metal having the same nature as itself. Pettingill knew that his friend was illustrating the truth found in 1 Thessalonians 4:17, the text of this devotional.

Closing thoughts:

The Lord Jesus said, “I will come again and receive you to Myself” (John 14:3) and Matthew 12:40 says, “Be ready, for the Son of Man is coming at an hour you do not expect.” With each passing hour, the words of James 5:8 and Matthew 12:40 should take on added significance. Jesus Christ is coming back! That stands both as a warning and promise throughout the New Testament. It will be either good or bad news, depending on who hears it. Jesus promised to return and He told us how to live as we wait for His coming. We must honestly ask ourselves, “Are we living in a way that is pleasing to Him?” My brethren, our lives, more than our lips, are to say, “I’m ready!” When He comes in the clouds, those who have received His nature by the new birth (John 3:1-7) will rise to meet Him in the air. The question then remains:

(1) Have you accepted God’s provision of salvation through the blood of His Son?
(2) If you have, praise the Lord, because you’ll be caught up to meet Him.
(3) If not, I would urge you to accept Jesus Christ as your Savior this hour.

Remember that only those who want to meet Christ in the air must first meet Him at the Cross.