cure-real
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Matthew 17 Jesus' Transfiguration question, why Moses and Elijah?

Matthew 17 Jesus' Transfiguration question, why Moses and Elijah?

In Matthew 17 during Jesus' transfiguration appeared Moses and Elijah who were talking with Him. My question is why Moses and Elijah? Why not anyone else; Enoch, Noah, Abraham, David, or any other men from the Bible? What can we learn and profit from this?

Re: Matthew 17 Jesus' Transfiguration question, why Moses and Elijah?

Is it because Moses was the one who wrote about Jesus when He said that the Scriptures points to Him in the Gospel of John, and Elijah who has already come but they did not recognize him and have done to him everything they wished? That in the same way the Son of Man was to suffer at their hands?

Blog Entries

Moses represented the law and Elijah represented the prophets. Everything the law taught the Hebrews and all the prohecies about the Messiah was right before their very eyes.

Thank you SEEKING! Very well said.

Blog Entries

Perhaps because they already have their resurrection bodies? Moses died, but his body was claimed by the archangel Michael (Jude 9). Elijah was taken into heaven alive (2 Kings 2:11). The only other person who was translated without first dying was Enoch: "Enoch walked with God, and he was not, for God took him" (Genesis 5:24). These stories to me suggest special treatment, even while Abraham, Issac, and Jacob are also alive: "And as for the resurrection of the dead, have you not read what was said to you by God: 'I am the God of Abraham, and the God of Isaac, and the God of Jacob'? He is not the god of the dead, but of the living" (Matthew 22:32)

I'm just having a guess here, i don't really know.

Moses was the start of the law (Shadow of the reality), Jesus being the fulfillment and reality of the law.
    Elijah - People were expecting Elijah to come? Elijah in the transfiguration, meant that it was not Elijah who was to come, but Christ Jesus. So people would not confuse Elijah with the Christ.

Blog Entries

Yup, the Law and the Prophets, like SEEKING said. Spot on.

Quote Originally Posted by -SEEKING- View Post
    Moses represented the law and Elijah represented the prophets. Everything the law taught the Hebrews and all the prohecies about the Messiah was right before their very eyes.

Didn't know this. Thanks!!

Also thanks to Mr. King for asking the question.

The question I would like to ask is, how was Moses ressurected and talking to Jesus before Jesus death and ressurection?

Shouldn't Moses be in Abraham's Bossom?

Blog Entries

Peter had a lesson that needed learning. Yes, Seeking is right - Moses represented the law and Elijah represented the prophets.

If you will note, Peter had just finished his "great confession" of who Jesus was in the same chapter just a few verses prior. Now, he makes an error. I like Peter. He's up and down on that roller coaster just like we are. He says great and true things and then he opens his mouth and says the wrong thing. It wasn't that he was wishy-washy, but he, to me, was impulsive with his mouth.

Peter, James, and John had fallen asleep according to the Luke account. When they woke up and found Jesus standing there talking to Moses and Elijah about His upcoming death, Peter opens his mouth and says, "Master, I have a GREAT idea! How about if James, John, and I build three tabernacles: one for Moses, one for Elijah, and one for you!"

The Luke account says that he didn't know what he was saying. We know what he was saying. Peter was saying that Moses, Elijah, and Jesus were on equal levels. The law, the prophets, and the Messiah all counted as equal worth and equal paths to God. He was dead wrong and God corrected him quickly.

Even while Peter was still talking, God's voice BOOMED out of heaven and said, "This is My Beloved Son. I am truly well pleased with Him. LISTEN to Him!"

They fell on their faces again and when they looked up, only Jesus stood there.

It's my firm belief that God, who earlier revealed to Peter that Jesus was the Christ of God, NOW revealed to Peter that Jesus was not equal in nature with the law and the prophets, but was equal in nature with God and that the law and the prophets only pointed the way to the the Messiah - not competed with Him for salvation's sake. And even later, God would reveal to Peter that the law and the prophets were not prerequisites for salvation nor were they companions of salvation after the fact.

Peter needed to know the place that the law and the prophets had - and important place, but not a divine place.

They even showed their own confusion by asking Jesus why did the scribes say that Elijah had to come first. They were putting their faith in those prophecies. Jesus then told them that Elijah had already come and completed his work and that the people didn't recognize him. Luke says that THEN they understood. They knew that He was talking about John the Baptist.
    ".....it's your nickel"

Quote Originally Posted by jayne View Post
    Peter had a lesson that needed learning. Yes, Seeking is right - Moses represented the law and Elijah represented the prophets.

If you will note, Peter had just finished his "great confession" of who Jesus was in the same chapter just a few verses prior. Now, he makes an error. I like Peter. He's up and down on that roller coaster just like we are. He says great and true things and then he opens his mouth and says the wrong thing. It wasn't that he was wishy-washy, but he, to me, was impulsive with his mouth.

Peter, James, and John had fallen asleep according to the Luke account. When they woke up and found Jesus standing there talking to Moses and Elijah about His upcoming death, Peter opens his mouth and says, "Master, I have a GREAT idea! How about if James, John, and I build three tabernacles: one for Moses, one for Elijah, and one for you!"

The Luke account says that he didn't know what he was saying. We know what he was saying. Peter was saying that Moses, Elijah, and Jesus were on equal levels. The law, the prophets, and the Messiah all counted as equal worth and equal paths to God. He was dead wrong and God corrected him quickly.

Even while Peter was still talking, God's voice BOOMED out of heaven and said, "This is My Beloved Son. I am truly well pleased with Him. LISTEN to Him!"

They fell on their faces again and when they looked up, only Jesus stood there.

It's my firm belief that God, who earlier revealed to Peter that Jesus was the Christ of God, NOW revealed to Peter that Jesus was not equal in nature with the law and the prophets, but was equal in nature with God and that the law and the prophets only pointed the way to the the Messiah - not competed with Him for salvation's sake. And even later, God would reveal to Peter that the law and the prophets were not prerequisites for salvation nor were they companions of salvation after the fact.

Peter needed to know the place that the law and the prophets had - and important place, but not a divine place.

They even showed their own confusion by asking Jesus why did the scribes say that Elijah had to come first. They were putting their faith in those prophecies. Jesus then told them that Elijah had already come and completed his work and that the people didn't recognize him. Luke says that THEN they understood. They knew that He was talking about John the Baptist.
    Learned something else in this thread. Thanks.

Jesus was before Moses and Elijah, They were only prophets preparing the way for the Son of God as was John the Baptist.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Vince777 View Post
    Jesus was before Moses and Elijah, They were only prophets preparing the way for the Son of God as was John the Baptist.
    Uh.........Well actually no Jesus wasn't. He was born around 6-4 BC. Moses and Elijah were hundreds of years before Jesus was born.

Blog Entries

Uh.........Well actually no Jesus wasn't. He was born around 6-4 BC. Moses and Elijah were hundreds of years before Jesus was born.
    Jesus was with the Father at the beginning. In Genesis 1: 26 when God said "Let Us make man in Our image according to Our likeness...." who do you think He was talking about? In John 8:58 when Jesus was talking to the religious leaders, what do you think He was saying when he said "Most assuredly, I say to you, before Abraham was, I AM."
    Come unto me all that labor and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest. Matthew 11:28

Blog Entries

DUDE... you might want to look back over what you just wrote.
    For what mortal has ever heard the voice of the living God speaking out of fire, as we have, and survived? ~ Deuteronomy 5:26

If you're not prepared to risk your very life for your "enemy" you have no right to speak to him of love. ~ Daughter

Many say they are called... but I am pretty convinced that with many of them it was the wrong number. ~ Project Peter

Thread Information