Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Too Many Commercials on TV!

Blog Entries

Too Many Commercials on TV!

Last night I watched a 2 part movie on TV. I don't usually sit through more than one 2-hour movie, but I wanted to experiment with something. You see, both me and my husband are VERY good at pushing our 'mute' button as soon as those too-many and too-loud commercials come on the screen. That way, we aren't forced to HEAR the blaring things.

But last night, just prior to pushing the mute button, I jotted down the time commercials started and the time they ended. When the movie came back on the screen, I immediately pushed my 'Info' button, to see what time the movie started and did the same thing when it ended. (Can you guess I am FED UP with too many stupid, loud, commercials that are often repeated and repeated!)

The results are stunning! I saw a pattern that angers me. Here are the results:

Movie Part #1:
    Time movie shown: Time commercials shown:
    8:00-8:21 (21 minutes) 8:21-8:26 (5 minutes)
    8:26-8:36 (10 minutes) 8:36-8:41 (5 minutes)
    8:41-8:52 (11 minutes) 8:52-8:57 (5 minutes)
    8:57-9:04 (7 minutes) 9:04-9:09 (5 minutes)
    9:09-9:16 (7 minutes) 9:16-9:21 (5 minutes)
    9:21-9:30 (9 minutes) 9:30-9:35 (5 minutes)
    9:35-9:42 (7 minutes) 9:42-9:47 (5 minutes)
    9:47-9:59 (12 minutes) 9:59-10:00 (1 minute)

Movie part #2 was the same! Both timed out to 84 minutes of movie and 36 minutes for commercials... DISGUSTING! There are anywhere from 8 to 13 commercials shown per 5 or 6 minute spaces allotted for those stupid commercials. And sometimes there are only a couple of minutes LONGER allotted for movie time as compared to advertising time!

No wonder people prefer the internet! We don't have to push the mute button so much.
    My favorite scripture: Malachi 3:16

"Then they that feared the LORD spake often one to another: and the LORD hearkened, and heard it, and a book of remembrance was written before him for them that feared the LORD, and that thought upon his name!" (Every time we speak of the Lord, or even THINK of him--its written down in a book of remembrance!)

In the slave pits of manmade Christianity, setting the captives free.

Re: Too Many Commercials on TV!

But if it weren't for the commercials, I wouldn't have time to surf through all 200+ channels on the TV without missing any of the show I was watching.

I noticed years ago how the first part of a movie on TV is on the order of 20-30 minutes. I assume to hook the viewer and then they can bombard with ads since one has invested the time already and will likely see the movie through.

The volume thing is annoying, but a results of recording the original spots at a higher volume.

I rarely watch TV movies anymore. Anything worthwhile I'll rent or own.
    Do not say, “Why were the old days better than these?” For it is not wise to ask such questions.
    Ecc 7:10

John777 exists to me only in quoted form.

Free enterprise at work :-)
    I like your Christ, I do not like your Christians. Your Christians are so unlike your Christ.
    - Mahatma Gandhi

In the slave pits of manmade Christianity, setting the captives free.

Yeah...Keeps V in beans and taters.

Yeah, it is a bit irritating. I remember when commercials were 1 maybe 2 minutes long. This is why I like to DVR the shows I like so I can watch them later and ff thru the commercials......unless it's WWE, in which I tend to ff thru most of the whole show and only watch certain segments.

Blog Entries

I've known shows break for commercials within 5 minutes of the start of the show.

That said I am often glad for commercial breaks in movies. If I want to go get a drink or - ahem - offload the last drink then it's handy to have neatly allocated opportunities without having to hit the Pause button.
    24 August 2013 - I've decided to take a break from a number of internet forums, including this one, for my own reasons.
    I expect to be back at some time in the future, although at present don't know when that will be.
    I've been here just a few days shy of six years, and those six years have been greatly blessed.

---

1Jn 4:1 NKJV Beloved, do not believe every spirit, but test the spirits, whether they are of God; because many false prophets have gone out into the world.
    1Th 5:21-22 NKJV Test all things; hold fast what is good. (22) Abstain from every form of evil.

Quote Originally Posted by Diggindeeper View Post
    Last night I watched a 2 part movie on TV. I don't usually sit through more than one 2-hour movie, but I wanted to experiment with something. You see, both me and my husband are VERY good at pushing our 'mute' button as soon as those too-many and too-loud commercials come on the screen. That way, we aren't forced to HEAR the blaring things.

But last night, just prior to pushing the mute button, I jotted down the time commercials started and the time they ended. When the movie came back on the screen, I immediately pushed my 'Info' button, to see what time the movie started and did the same thing when it ended. (Can you guess I am FED UP with too many stupid, loud, commercials that are often repeated and repeated!)

The results are stunning! I saw a pattern that angers me. Here are the results:

Movie Part #1:
    Time movie shown: Time commercials shown:
    8:00-8:21 (21 minutes) 8:21-8:26 (5 minutes)
    8:26-8:36 (10 minutes) 8:36-8:41 (5 minutes)
    8:41-8:52 (11 minutes) 8:52-8:57 (5 minutes)
    8:57-9:04 (7 minutes) 9:04-9:09 (5 minutes)
    9:09-9:16 (7 minutes) 9:16-9:21 (5 minutes)
    9:21-9:30 (9 minutes) 9:30-9:35 (5 minutes)
    9:35-9:42 (7 minutes) 9:42-9:47 (5 minutes)
    9:47-9:59 (12 minutes) 9:59-10:00 (1 minute)

Movie part #2 was the same! Both timed out to 84 minutes of movie and 36 minutes for commercials... DISGUSTING! There are anywhere from 8 to 13 commercials shown per 5 or 6 minute spaces allotted for those stupid commercials. And sometimes there are only a couple of minutes LONGER allotted for movie time as compared to advertising time!

No wonder people prefer the internet! We don't have to push the mute button so much.
    DVR, DVR, and DVR. I NEVER watch live TV. I either record it, or start about 20 minutes late, and kill all the commercials.

I don't watch TV anymore at all, save for the occasional local news. If I hear there's a really good series I'll wait until it comes out on DVD. Even that might take years before I get around to it. I hear Firefly was good.
    In Christ,

-- Rev

“To preserve the government we must also preserve morals. Morality rests on religion; if you destroy the foundation, the superstructure must fall. When the public mind becomes vitiated and corrupt, laws are a nullity and constitutions are waste paper.” – Daniel Webster, 4th of July, 1800, Oration at Hanover, N.H.

Blog Entries

What angers me is how the volume goes up when the commercials come on. Have you noticed this? And they get away with it. I had heard there was suppose to be some bill passed saying they can't do this anymore, but for now...
    .................The message of the cross divides the human race." ~MW~

........ ... " LORD, I beseech thee, let now thine ear be attentive to the prayer of thy servant..."
    .................................................. .................................................. ...Nehemiah 1:11a

Quote Originally Posted by RevLogos View Post
    I don't watch TV anymore at all, save for the occasional local news. If I hear there's a really good series I'll wait until it comes out on DVD. Even that might take years before I get around to it. I hear Firefly was good.
    Firefly is awesome. I have the season series. Too bad it only lasted one season (and then the movie as well). I highly recommend it.
    Do not say, “Why were the old days better than these?” For it is not wise to ask such questions.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by karenoka27 View Post
    What angers me is how the volume goes up when the commercials come on. Have you noticed this?
    Wow. And here I was thinking there was something wrong with my TV. That drives me totally nuts.
    This IGNORE button is by far one of the most useful tools I've used to keep my peace while navigating through some of the madness.

Quote Originally Posted by -SEEKING- View Post
    Wow. And here I was thinking there was something wrong with my TV. That drives me totally nuts.
    It is definitely intentional. My BIL is a TV station editor, mainly doing commercials. I'd have to ask VHayes if the shooters are the ones responsible for the audio levels or if that's the subsequent editors.

It's the subsequent editing that is responsible. Audio levels should be monitored when the footage is being shot and they should fall within a certain set of parameters. If it sounds like the speakers are coming out of your television set when the spots come on, call you local station and complain. If THAT doesn't work, call the FCC (or equivalent in Canada) because there are significant fines for that kinda thing. At my former place of employment, spots would be rejected by the distributor because the audio levels were too hot.

Video levels are the same - if your tv hums when yellow or red come on (usually type/fonts) the video levels are too hot and not legal for broadcast.

Hope that helps -
    V
    I like your Christ, I do not like your Christians. Your Christians are so unlike your Christ.
    - Mahatma Gandhi

Blog Entries

We've joined the ranks of the non-commercial life and LOVE it! We ditched cable and bought a handy dandy Roku so we can stream things we actually like to our TV. I like that I can turn on a movie and watch without interruption, or go make dinner and not miss anything. I had the pleasure of missing all the campaign commercials through the last election. Made me wanna dance!
    I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrus...

All children left unattended will be given an espresso and a free puppy.

Thread Information