cure-real
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 16

Thread: My will vs. Gods will.

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Ontario Canada.
    Posts
    200

    My will vs. Gods will.

    I would love for you to explain to be how I know when it is God wanting me to do something, or when it is ME wanting something. I always hear people say they felt God was leading them to go somewhere or to make a tough decision. Well, every time I think God is wanting me to do something, that choice never develops. For example...I wanted to volunteer at a Christian volunteer center about a few months ago. I called and could never get through to the lady. I finally did and she said she had no spots available because it was booked for Christmas. I called back after Christmas and they told me I had to drive in and fill out an application. Just...so much crap just to volunteer, so in this case it would seem like God is not wanting me to volunteer right? But WHY?! Why would He not want me to volunteer? Just so many times this has happened where I feel like God is telling me to do something or to make a decision about something and it always turns out to be completely "wrong". How do I know when it is God wanting me to do something? When I called to volunteer, I had woken up that morning and something just told me inside to call and offer to volunteer. And even when I couldnt get through to the lady, I called again and again...but it didnt work out. I FELT like God was telling me to do it, but obviously not. Help me understand please.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    in the gap
    Posts
    8,498
    Blog Entries
    19

    Re: My will vs. Gods will.

    Do you think pursuing God's will comes without resistance?

    Why or why not?

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Rhode Island!!!
    Posts
    4,877
    Blog Entries
    10

    Re: My will vs. Gods will.

    Your obedience was what is important. You obeyed. Perhaps they will need you in a later time.
    I always follow what I feel God calls me to do. If it is from God and He wants me to do it, He will open the doors to do so. If not, I let it go.
    Don't use this as a way to be angry with God thinking He is playing with you. I'm not saying that you are doing this, but be careful to not let things like this cause you to give up on God.
    .................The message of the cross divides the human race." ~MW~

    ........ ... " LORD, I beseech thee, let now thine ear be attentive to the prayer of thy servant..."
    .................................................. .................................................. ...Nehemiah 1:11a




  4. #4
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Living By Faith
    Posts
    4,740
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: My will vs. Gods will.

    Im with Dani on this one...

    Sometimes the resistance is from the enemy.
    Perhaps they want to be able to identify people who volunteer, for security, records or other reasons.
    Peace to you!

    Psalms 138:7-8
    Though I walk in the midst of trouble, you preserve my life;
    you stretch out your hand against the wrath of my enemies, and your right hand delivers me.
    The Lord will fulfill his purpose for me; your steadfast love, O Lord, endures forever.
    Do not forsake the work of your hands.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    somewhere over the rainbow
    Posts
    14,639
    Blog Entries
    11
    Quote Originally Posted by 365_days_gone View Post
    I would love for you to explain to be how I know when it is God wanting me to do something, or when it is ME wanting something. I always hear people say they felt God was leading them to go somewhere or to make a tough decision. Well, every time I think God is wanting me to do something, that choice never develops. For example...I wanted to volunteer at a Christian volunteer center about a few months ago. I called and could never get through to the lady. I finally did and she said she had no spots available because it was booked for Christmas. I called back after Christmas and they told me I had to drive in and fill out an application. Just...so much crap just to volunteer, so in this case it would seem like God is not wanting me to volunteer right? But WHY?! Why would He not want me to volunteer? Just so many times this has happened where I feel like God is telling me to do something or to make a decision about something and it always turns out to be completely "wrong". How do I know when it is God wanting me to do something? When I called to volunteer, I had woken up that morning and something just told me inside to call and offer to volunteer. And even when I couldnt get through to the lady, I called again and again...but it didnt work out. I FELT like God was telling me to do it, but obviously not. Help me understand please.
    I am not really sure what the problem is here....you had to wait and do a little paper work to volunteer?

    What did you think was going to happen? Maybe we need to start from there.

    Just because there wasn't an opening that minute and it required some paperwork, doesn't mean God didn't want you do do this...

    Many times God teaches us patience by making us wait for things...sometimes years. It doesn't mean He doesn't want us to do it though. Moses and the Hebrews were made to wander the desert for 40 years before getting into the promise land and Moses died..never being able to enter it at all. Moses was not allowed to enter because of a sin he committed but he was still in charge of leading the Hebrews.
    "People do not drift toward holiness. Apart from grace-driven effort, people do not gravitate toward godliness, prayer, obedience to Scripture, faith, and delight in the Lord. We drift toward compromise and call it tolerance; We drift toward disobedience and call it freedom; We drift toward superstition and call it faith. We cherish the indiscipline of lost self-control and call it relaxation; we slouch toward prayerlessness and delude ourselves into thinking we have escaped legalism; we slide toward godlessness and convince ourselves we have been liberated?" - D A Carson

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Ontario Canada.
    Posts
    200

    Re: My will vs. Gods will.

    I was just giving one example with the volunteer situation. It has happened dozens of other ways before...just cant think of any at the moment. No one has really given an answer. Is there anyway to truly know if it is YOU wanting something or GOD telling you to do something?

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    SC
    Posts
    200

    Re: My will vs. Gods will.

    About 8 or so years ago my husband and I decided to start a family. We had no idea that our journey would be filled with such pain and suffering. We lost baby after baby after baby - but felt that God was telling us to continue on, even tho after seeing so many specialists, we had no answers as to why this was happening too us. Well, more losses continued to come..I can't really put into words how I felt...gutted might come close to the pain and suffering that I (we) went through. I think the crushing blow for my husband was when we lost our twins - he lost all hope - he was so angry and wanted to give up. I was told by so many, even a woman that heads a large christian support group in the US for women who have suffered loss, that having my own bio child was not what God had in store for me. I was told by top doctors that I had less than 1 percent chance to ever carry to term...This was a few years into my losses at the time. So, how was I able to continue on? God was telling me too...Emotionally/physically - no way I could have continued on in my own strength. So hard to put into words..All I can say is God was telling me to trust Him. The message was so powerful that I could not deny it was from Him - was like I could actually hear Him, but there were no words to hear, if that makes any sense. I asked my husband to trust me - to continue on. We than fell pregnant again...After 10 losses, and at the age of 43, God, the 'great physician' healed me, and my Kaden was born. Than 1 1/2 years later, at the age of 44, a few weeks before my 45th birthday, my second miracle Carson, was born.

    If you feel strongly that God is wanting you to do something...continue on regardless of any obstacles...Try to be patient..In His timing..

    Hang in there..

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Bradenton, FL
    Posts
    3,965

    Re: My will vs. Gods will.

    Quote Originally Posted by 365_days_gone View Post
    I was just giving one example with the volunteer situation. It has happened dozens of other ways before...just cant think of any at the moment. No one has really given an answer. Is there anyway to truly know if it is YOU wanting something or GOD telling you to do something?
    The more accustomed we are to listening, the more we will hear. Keep in mind that just because you obey God and volunteer, someone may not be obeying God to accept your help, or maybe they just haven’t heard. Trust that God HAS prepared good works for you to do and you shall certainly be given the tools and opportunity to carry them out.
    Psalm 19:14
    May the words of my mouth and the meditation of my heart
    be pleasing in your sight,
    O LORD, my Rock and my Redeemer.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Bradenton, FL
    Posts
    3,965

    Re: My will vs. Gods will.

    Quote Originally Posted by Misfit View Post
    About 8 or so years ago my husband and I decided to start a family. We had no idea that our journey would be filled with such pain and suffering. We lost baby after baby after baby - but felt that God was telling us to continue on, even tho after seeing so many specialists, we had no answers as to why this was happening too us. Well, more losses continued to come..I can't really put into words how I felt...gutted might come close to the pain and suffering that I (we) went through. I think the crushing blow for my husband was when we lost our twins - he lost all hope - he was so angry and wanted to give up. I was told by so many, even a woman that heads a large christian support group in the US for women who have suffered loss, that having my own bio child was not what God had in store for me. I was told by top doctors that I had less than 1 percent chance to ever carry to term...This was a few years into my losses at the time. So, how was I able to continue on? God was telling me too...Emotionally/physically - no way I could have continued on in my own strength. So hard to put into words..All I can say is God was telling me to trust Him. The message was so powerful that I could not deny it was from Him - was like I could actually hear Him, but there were no words to hear, if that makes any sense. I asked my husband to trust me - to continue on. We than fell pregnant again...After 10 losses, and at the age of 43, God, the 'great physician' healed me, and my Kaden was born. Than 1 1/2 years later, at the age of 44, a few weeks before my 45th birthday, my second miracle Carson, was born.

    If you feel strongly that God is wanting you to do something...continue on regardless of any obstacles...Try to be patient..In His timing..

    Hang in there..
    That's really awesome! Thank you so much for sharing.
    Psalm 19:14
    May the words of my mouth and the meditation of my heart
    be pleasing in your sight,
    O LORD, my Rock and my Redeemer.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    somewhere over the rainbow
    Posts
    14,639
    Blog Entries
    11
    Quote Originally Posted by 365_days_gone View Post
    I was just giving one example with the volunteer situation. It has happened dozens of other ways before...just cant think of any at the moment. No one has really given an answer. Is there anyway to truly know if it is YOU wanting something or GOD telling you to do something?
    I think many times people have this idea that if God really wants us to do something everything will magically fall into place and we won't have to work very hard at it. I have heard that countless times but I can't find any examples of that in the bible. Everyone struggled with many things God told them to do in the bible. It was really, really hard at times for them to do this work He wanted. Many went through some truly terrible hardships too. Not too many people will willingly want to do hard work like that...that is one way of knowing its not you...

    The other way is to ask others to pray for you about something you think God wants you to do and get it confirmed that way. Of course praying and asking Him yourself...do you really want me to do this?

    Many things idea like you had in volunteering shouldn't need alot of confirming though. Its following what Christ taught us to help others. If you think for some reason you can't handle it (health problems...don't have enough money to drive there all the time, etc) then pray about it more. God many times does provide and enables us to do this time of work...

    Like for instance I did pray alot about whether to help with AWANA in church because I was very concerned whether I could physically handle it every week because of my back. I felt He wanted me too so I signed up. I had to fill out a paper like everyone else..have a background check because I would be working with children. And had to go to a training meeting too. But that is all just part of volunteering. Many times I just felt awful too on the days I had to go in, (that year I had one sinus infection after another!) and my back would be hurting. So I would just pray and ask God to help me so I could do that work for Him and every time I was there I felt much better!

    Hope that helps.

    God bless
    "People do not drift toward holiness. Apart from grace-driven effort, people do not gravitate toward godliness, prayer, obedience to Scripture, faith, and delight in the Lord. We drift toward compromise and call it tolerance; We drift toward disobedience and call it freedom; We drift toward superstition and call it faith. We cherish the indiscipline of lost self-control and call it relaxation; we slouch toward prayerlessness and delude ourselves into thinking we have escaped legalism; we slide toward godlessness and convince ourselves we have been liberated?" - D A Carson

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    In a place of praying hard and trusting God while battling on my knees!
    Posts
    21,690
    Blog Entries
    85

    Re: My will vs. Gods will.

    365_days_gone... been thinking about your post here and I did post a devo I had received in email onto this message board a week or two back. I feel it is something that will help you and I will underline a few parts that you really need to focus on.

    Ya got that Bible I mailed you? You're gonna need it if you REALLY want your problem to find resolution and an answer.

    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------

    Today's Prayer
    Dear God, Do other people see me as a faithful friend or a burdensome buddy? I pray that I will be the kind of person that other people love and appreciate; not a person that others want to avoid. And I pray that I will be a good friend to others. "A man that hath friends must show himself friendly: and there is a friend that sticketh closer than a brother" (Proverbs 18:24). Help me to improve my friendship skills...and to be an example of your love in all I do. Thank you, God. In Jesus' name I pray and give you praise, amen.



    Finding The Will Of God
    TGIF Today God Is First Volume 1, by Os Hillman
    01-13-2011

    I desire to do Your will, O my God; Your law is within my heart. - Psalm 40:8

    How would you describe the process by which you find and do God's will in your life? For some, finding God's will is like playing bumper cars. We keep going in one direction until we bump into an obstacle, turn, and go in another direction. It is a constant process of elimination, failure, or success. Is this the way God would have us find His will? No. There is much more relationship between hearing God's voice and living within the mystery of His omnipotence in our lives. Perhaps this process is more like water in a streambed. The water is constantly flowing to a final destination. As it presses against the streambed, it gently points the water toward its final destination. There are no abrupt head-on collisions, simply slight modifications of direction.

    Occasionally, we come to a sharp turn in the contours of our life. For those times, God allows us to stretch our normal response to change. A popular Bible study says that we cannot go with God and stay where we are. Finding and doing God's will always require change. What changes are necessary in your life to join God in what He is already doing?

    There is a direct connection between finding and doing God's will and having God's law in our heart. A friend once complained that he did not know what God wanted of him in his life. My immediate response was, "How much time do you spend with God in Bible study, prayer, and meditation on Scripture?" "Only a few minutes a day," he replied. How can we expect to hear and discern God's voice if we don't spend focused time with Him? If you have a spouse, how did you get to know him or her before you were married? You spent time together. You got to know everything about each other. Our walk with God is no different. It isn't enough to have a desire to follow God; we must put our energy into getting to know Him. His will for us flows out of our relationship, it is not an end in itself. Commit yourself to seeking Him more in your life by spending more time with Him.

    "Call to Me and I will answer you and tell you great and unsearchable things you do not know" (Jer. 33:3).

    Today God Is First (TGIF) devotional message, Copyright by Os Hillman, Marketplace Leaders
    Slug1--out

    ~Does Predestination mean: Once of the devil, Always of the devil?~

    ~Limitations in a Christianís life are due to limited prayer and limiting obedience~

    ~Forgiveness has nothing to do with forgetting that moment... it's all about freedom FROM that moment.~


    ~Your needs activate God's compassion and faith activates God's power~

    ~Three minutes is a lifetime, if you only have two, too live~


  12. #12
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    somewhere over the rainbow
    Posts
    14,639
    Blog Entries
    11
    Quote Originally Posted by Misfit View Post
    About 8 or so years ago my husband and I decided to start a family. We had no idea that our journey would be filled with such pain and suffering. We lost baby after baby after baby - but felt that God was telling us to continue on, even tho after seeing so many specialists, we had no answers as to why this was happening too us. Well, more losses continued to come..I can't really put into words how I felt...gutted might come close to the pain and suffering that I (we) went through. I think the crushing blow for my husband was when we lost our twins - he lost all hope - he was so angry and wanted to give up. I was told by so many, even a woman that heads a large christian support group in the US for women who have suffered loss, that having my own bio child was not what God had in store for me. I was told by top doctors that I had less than 1 percent chance to ever carry to term...This was a few years into my losses at the time. So, how was I able to continue on? God was telling me too...Emotionally/physically - no way I could have continued on in my own strength. So hard to put into words..All I can say is God was telling me to trust Him. The message was so powerful that I could not deny it was from Him - was like I could actually hear Him, but there were no words to hear, if that makes any sense. I asked my husband to trust me - to continue on. We than fell pregnant again...After 10 losses, and at the age of 43, God, the 'great physician' healed me, and my Kaden was born. Than 1 1/2 years later, at the age of 44, a few weeks before my 45th birthday, my second miracle Carson, was born.

    If you feel strongly that God is wanting you to do something...continue on regardless of any obstacles...Try to be patient..In His timing..

    Hang in there..
    This is an excellent example of what I was talking about...the hard work that comes with obeying God. Its hard, its painful, it can be emotionally wrecking...no one wakes up one day and thinks they want to put themselves through this all by themselves. God sustained Misfit and her husband to continue on inspite of the heart ache..

    John 16
    20 Most assuredly, I say to you that you will weep and lament, but the world will rejoice; and you will be sorrowful, but your sorrow will be turned into joy. 21 A woman, when she is in labor, has sorrow because her hour has come; but as soon as she has given birth to the child, she no longer remembers the anguish, for joy that a human being has been born into the world.


    Wasn't exactly the one I was looking for but it works.

    God bless
    "People do not drift toward holiness. Apart from grace-driven effort, people do not gravitate toward godliness, prayer, obedience to Scripture, faith, and delight in the Lord. We drift toward compromise and call it tolerance; We drift toward disobedience and call it freedom; We drift toward superstition and call it faith. We cherish the indiscipline of lost self-control and call it relaxation; we slouch toward prayerlessness and delude ourselves into thinking we have escaped legalism; we slide toward godlessness and convince ourselves we have been liberated?" - D A Carson

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Everywhere I go, there I am.
    Posts
    21,013

    Re: My will vs. Gods will.

    I'm about to be brutally honest here, 365.

    Do you have any idea how many people call to "volunteer"? Do you know how many actually have the follow through to go fill out an application? Not too many.

    Organizations weed out the serious from the "I need to feel good about myself for a minute" people by having them do things like fill out applications. There is nothing worse than expecting a volunteer to show up because they promised they would and then have to do the everything by yourself because gee, it just didn't matter enough.

    You wanted to volunteer. So - DO that. This isn't about YOU, this is about the folks who need help.

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Bradenton, FL
    Posts
    3,965

    Re: My will vs. Gods will.

    Quote Originally Posted by Vhayes View Post
    I'm about to be brutally honest here, 365.

    Do you have any idea how many people call to "volunteer"? Do you know how many actually have the follow through to go fill out an application? Not too many.

    Organizations weed out the serious from the "I need to feel good about myself for a minute" people by having them do things like fill out applications. There is nothing worse than expecting a volunteer to show up because they promised they would and then have to do the everything by yourself because gee, it just didn't matter enough.

    You wanted to volunteer. So - DO that. This isn't about YOU, this is about the folks who need help.
    Hmmmmm, good point there. I hadn't thought of that.
    Psalm 19:14
    May the words of my mouth and the meditation of my heart
    be pleasing in your sight,
    O LORD, my Rock and my Redeemer.

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    In a place of praying hard and trusting God while battling on my knees!
    Posts
    21,690
    Blog Entries
    85

    Re: My will vs. Gods will.

    Quote Originally Posted by Vhayes View Post
    I'm about to be brutally honest here, 365.

    Do you have any idea how many people call to "volunteer"? Do you know how many actually have the follow through to go fill out an application? Not too many.

    Organizations weed out the serious from the "I need to feel good about myself for a minute" people by having them do things like fill out applications. There is nothing worse than expecting a volunteer to show up because they promised they would and then have to do the everything by yourself because gee, it just didn't matter enough.

    You wanted to volunteer. So - DO that. This isn't about YOU, this is about the folks who need help.
    I concur with Vhayes because many people do have the "what can church do for me" attitude.

    365... when you have a "what can I do FOR the church or FOR others" attitude... DO IT!

    We are to be servants, Jesus' leadership was one of service and His service was so great, it led to His death for you, me, all of us! I don't think any application would have stopped him.

    Do you know what the maximum effective range of an excuse is? The answer is: ZERO meters!!
    Slug1--out

    ~Does Predestination mean: Once of the devil, Always of the devil?~

    ~Limitations in a Christianís life are due to limited prayer and limiting obedience~

    ~Forgiveness has nothing to do with forgetting that moment... it's all about freedom FROM that moment.~


    ~Your needs activate God's compassion and faith activates God's power~

    ~Three minutes is a lifetime, if you only have two, too live~


Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. IS God Gods name?
    By reformedct in forum Bible Chat
    Replies: 36
    Last Post: Mar 21st 2009, 06:51 AM
  2. Pagan gods in the bible (my son's class is studying Greek gods)
    By moonglow in forum Families in Christ
    Replies: 19
    Last Post: Mar 20th 2009, 08:36 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •