cure-real
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Are all the prophecies in Isaiah 19 concerning Egypt fulfilled or not?

Blog Entries

Are all the prophecies in Isaiah 19 concerning Egypt fulfilled or not?

Isaiah 19
    Proclamation Against Egypt

1 The burden against Egypt.

Behold, the LORD rides on a swift cloud,
    And will come into Egypt;
    The idols of Egypt will totter at His presence,
    And the heart of Egypt will melt in its midst.
    2 “ I will set Egyptians against Egyptians;
    Everyone will fight against his brother,
    And everyone against his neighbor,
    City against city, kingdom against kingdom.
    3 The spirit of Egypt will fail in its midst;
    I will destroy their counsel,
    And they will consult the idols and the charmers,
    The mediums and the sorcerers.
    4 And the Egyptians I will give
    Into the hand of a cruel master,
    And a fierce king will rule over them,”
    Says the Lord, the LORD of hosts.
    5 The waters will fail from the sea,
    And the river will be wasted and dried up.
    6 The rivers will turn foul;
    The brooks of defense will be emptied and dried up;
    The reeds and rushes will wither.
    7 The papyrus reeds by the River,[a] by the mouth of the River,
    And everything sown by the River,
    Will wither, be driven away, and be no more.
    8 The fishermen also will mourn;
    All those will lament who cast hooks into the River,
    And they will languish who spread nets on the waters.
    9 Moreover those who work in fine flax
    And those who weave fine fabric will be ashamed;
    10 And its foundations will be broken.
    All who make wages will be troubled of soul.
    11 Surely the princes of Zoan are fools;
    Pharaoh’s wise counselors give foolish counsel.
    How do you say to Pharaoh, “I am the son of the wise,
    The son of ancient kings?”
    12 Where are they?
    Where are your wise men?
    Let them tell you now,
    And let them know what the LORD of hosts has purposed against Egypt.
    13 The princes of Zoan have become fools;
    The princes of Noph[b] are deceived;
    They have also deluded Egypt,
    Those who are the mainstay of its tribes.
    14 The LORD has mingled a perverse spirit in her midst;
    And they have caused Egypt to err in all her work,
    As a drunken man staggers in his vomit.
    15 Neither will there be any work for Egypt,
    Which the head or tail,
    Palm branch or bulrush, may do.[c]

16 In that day Egypt will be like women, and will be afraid and fear because of the waving of the hand of the LORD of hosts, which He waves over it. 17 And the land of Judah will be a terror to Egypt; everyone who makes mention of it will be afraid in himself, because of the counsel of the LORD of hosts which He has determined against it.
    Egypt, Assyria, and Israel Blessed

18 In that day five cities in the land of Egypt will speak the language of Canaan and swear by the LORD of hosts; one will be called the City of Destruction.[d]
    19 In that day there will be an altar to the LORD in the midst of the land of Egypt, and a pillar to the LORD at its border. 20 And it will be for a sign and for a witness to the LORD of hosts in the land of Egypt; for they will cry to the LORD because of the oppressors, and He will send them a Savior and a Mighty One, and He will deliver them. 21 Then the LORD will be known to Egypt, and the Egyptians will know the LORD in that day, and will make sacrifice and offering; yes, they will make a vow to the LORD and perform it. 22 And the LORD will strike Egypt, He will strike and heal it; they will return to the LORD, and He will be entreated by them and heal them.
    23 In that day there will be a highway from Egypt to Assyria, and the Assyrian will come into Egypt and the Egyptian into Assyria, and the Egyptians will serve with the Assyrians.
    24 In that day Israel will be one of three with Egypt and Assyria—a blessing in the midst of the land, 25 whom the LORD of hosts shall bless, saying, “Blessed is Egypt My people, and Assyria the work of My hands, and Israel My inheritance.”

Footnotes:

1. Isaiah 19:7 That is, the Nile
    2. Isaiah 19:13 That is, ancient Memphis
    3. Isaiah 19:15 Compare Isaiah 9:14–16
    4. Isaiah 19:18 Some Hebrew manuscripts, Arabic, Dead Sea Scrolls, Targum, and Vulgate read Sun; Septuagint reads Asedek (literally Righteousness).

Some think not all of them have been and because of what is happening in Egypt right now some think there is a connection to Isaiah 19. Thoughts?

God bless
    "People do not drift toward holiness. Apart from grace-driven effort, people do not gravitate toward godliness, prayer, obedience to Scripture, faith, and delight in the Lord. We drift toward compromise and call it tolerance; We drift toward disobedience and call it freedom; We drift toward superstition and call it faith. We cherish the indiscipline of lost self-control and call it relaxation; we slouch toward prayerlessness and delude ourselves into thinking we have escaped legalism; we slide toward godlessness and convince ourselves we have been liberated?" - D A Carson

Re: Are all the prophecies in Isaiah 19 concerning Egypt fulfilled or not?

Fulfilled long ago....but hey, this will be great foder for writing a new sensational endtime book....Be the first one to put it out to the bookstores, and you'll make alot of money with it; just like 99 reasons the pretrib rapture will happen in 1988, and all of the Y2K doomsday books, and all of the 2012 mayan books that are being sold.

Current-events spawn a frenzy for speculators and soothsayers...this will be but one more topic on the list.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by David Taylor View Post
    Fulfilled long ago....but hey, this will be great foder for writing a new sensational endtime book....Be the first one to put it out to the bookstores, and you'll make alot of money with it; just like 99 reasons the pretrib rapture will happen in 1988, and all of the Y2K doomsday books, and all of the 2012 mayan books that are being sold.

Current-events spawn a frenzy for speculators and soothsayers...this will be but one more topic on the list.
    Not trying to argue at all here...I really have no idea because I haven't studied this...but two bible commentaries think at least part of it remains to be fulfilled..the last part of them becoming a Christian country. So can you give me any historical links showing all this happened already? I am just trying to learn here. (comments that not all of it has been fulfilled were brought up on another thread but I didn't want to derail that by going into detail). Thanks.

God bless
    "People do not drift toward holiness. Apart from grace-driven effort, people do not gravitate toward godliness, prayer, obedience to Scripture, faith, and delight in the Lord. We drift toward compromise and call it tolerance; We drift toward disobedience and call it freedom; We drift toward superstition and call it faith. We cherish the indiscipline of lost self-control and call it relaxation; we slouch toward prayerlessness and delude ourselves into thinking we have escaped legalism; we slide toward godlessness and convince ourselves we have been liberated?" - D A Carson

Quote Originally Posted by David Taylor View Post
    Fulfilled long ago....
    Yeah.

All of these admonitions to the surrounding countries only made sense in that context. I mean, there's a country today called "Egypt", and the people there are called "Egyptians", but most of them are not descended from the people who lived there 2700 years ago.

See Jeremiah 43-

10...Thus saith the LORD of hosts, the God of Israel: Behold, I will send and take Nebuchadrezzar the king of Babylon, My servant, and will set his throne upon these stones that I have hid; and he shall spread his royal pavilion over them. 11 And he shall come, and shall smite the land of Egypt; such as are for death to death, and such as are for captivity to captivity, and such as are for the sword to the sword. 12 And I will kindle a fire in the houses of the gods of Egypt; and he shall burn them, and carry them away captives; and he shall fold up the land of Egypt, as a shepherd foldeth up his garment; and he shall go forth from thence in peace. 13 He shall also break the pillars of Beth-shemesh, that is in the land of Egypt; and the houses of the gods of Egypt shall he burn with fire.'

When did verses 18-24 happen?
    The Rookie

Twelve is the number of government. Thus, it is quite apropos that I am on my way towards wielding the power of twelve bars - each bar like, say, a tribe.....or a star.....or, maybe an apostle. A blue apostle. Like apostle smurfs. Does anyone remember smurfs? And all the controversy about them being from the devil? It's probably bad that I juxtaposed "apostle" and "smurf" in the same sentence. But then, I probably lost you at "blue apostle". Yes, my friends, this is what "rare jewel of a person" is actually implying. "Rare Jewel of a Person" really means, "Potentially Insane".

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by the rookie View Post
    Yes..I would like to know too. In my own limited searching I know that Christians have been in Egypt..

http://www.americanstartravel.com/ab...ails.aspx?id=6
    Before Egypt became part of the Byzantine realm, Christianity had been brought by Saint Mark the Evangelist in the 1st century. Diocletian's reign marked the transition from the Roman to the Byzantine era in Egypt, when a great number of Egyptian Christians were persecuted. The New Testament had by then been translated into Egyptian. After the Council of Chalcedon in AD 451, a distinct Egyptian Coptic Church was firmly established.

The Byzantines were able to regain control of the country after a brief Persian invasion early in the seventh century, until in AD 639, Egypt was invaded by the Muslim Arabs. The form of Islam the Arabs brought to Egypt was Sunni. Early in this period, Egyptians began to blend their new faith with indigenous beliefs and practices that had survived through Coptic Christianity, giving rise to various Sufi orders that have flourished to this day. Muslim rulers nominated by the Islamic Caliphate remained in control of Egypt for the next six centuries, including a period for which Cairo was the seat of the Caliphate under the Fatimids. With the end of the Ayyubid dynasty, the Mamluks, a Turco-Circassian military caste, took control about AD 1250. They continued to govern the country until the conquest of Egypt by the Ottoman Turks in 1517, after which it became a province of the Ottoman Empire. The mid-14th-Century Black Death killed about 40% of the country's population.

But I don't know if that was a fulfillment of that part of the passage..doesn't sound like it. I would like someone to point me to something I can read on this that shows the fulfillment.

God bless

Just wanted to ask this again
    The Rookie

Twelve is the number of government. Thus, it is quite apropos that I am on my way towards wielding the power of twelve bars - each bar like, say, a tribe.....or a star.....or, maybe an apostle. A blue apostle. Like apostle smurfs. Does anyone remember smurfs? And all the controversy about them being from the devil? It's probably bad that I juxtaposed "apostle" and "smurf" in the same sentence. But then, I probably lost you at "blue apostle". Yes, my friends, this is what "rare jewel of a person" is actually implying. "Rare Jewel of a Person" really means, "Potentially Insane".

Blog Entries

me too!............

Possibly during Alexander the Great days.
    When he first liberated Egypt and then marched directly to Assyria around 330 BC.
    As for the city of destruction. It may just be possible that it is Alexandria .

Quote Originally Posted by Zack702 View Post
    Possibly during Alexander the Great days.
    When he first liberated Egypt and then marched directly to Assyria around 330 BC.
    As for the city of destruction. It may just be possible that it is Alexandria .
    Egypt spoke Hebrew and was converted to Judaism during the days of Alexander the Great?
    The Rookie

Egypt spoke Hebrew and was converted to Judaism during the days of Alexander the Great?
    Well I wasn't there but.

Consider that the prophecy that is in question may of allready been known of in Egypt.

For one the call went out that this wrath concerning the captivity of many nations unto Chaldea around 600-500bc was sent from Israel unto many nations that it had to do with.

Egypt was one of these nations which the word of The Lord was sent unto.

We find in the word the message was that God had purposed evil unto his holy city in those days. And if punishment was purposed to his chosen city then certainly these nations round about such as Tyre, Egypt, Assyria would not go unpunished. The order of the word was that these nations surrender to Chaldean and to these foreign kings who would come to seige these lands.

This message was supposably sent unto these nations by the prophets in scrolls and in person. Yet many of them did not harken. And even some of them sought to kill the prophets during this time beause of there message. Egypt for example trusted that they would, with the help of Tyrus and allies withstand these invasions.
    I think that at that time it was around 600-500 bc.

Egypt was defeated during these invasions as they fought back, against the warning from Jerusalem to surrender.
    During which time the word sent other messages to Egypt and the round about nations of Mesopotamia that another king would come and liberate them from there current rulers Nebuchad/Darius. And that once again they should surrender to this king because it would go well with them and for there independance if they did. However although Egypt still did not listen God had purposed them some peace even so.

In my opinion it may very well be that after all of these events that the people of Egypt who were Egypt had began to open there eyes that the prophets and the word they sent was from God. At which point they probably were more apt to listen to the people of Israel and Judah since they had surrendered as the word commanded and that it had gone well with them to do so.

Following such events during the rise and fall of kings between 500-300 bc Egypt was often fighting back even though they knew that the prophets of Judaism had sent unto them that it was from The Lord that they should surrender.
    Needless to say they fought back and it was not well with them since the invadors did not take kindly to resistance. However since this specific prophecy was that they would be somewhat liberated from there rulers it seams so that after Alexander had conqured Tyre and Egypt that they had finaly decided to accept it was from God. Or according to them, from the Gods.

I cannot prove that five of these Egyptian cities spoke the language of Canaan and swear by the Lord that these prophecies they would now accept.

Or that there was a altar of the Lord and that they prayed unto him for deliverance. And that that deliverance came from Alexander who established the city called Alexandria in Egypt. Or that the highway from Egypt to Assyria was founded by Alexander. But it seams like it was so to me.

During that time nations were divided, people were scattered and God worked through the remnants of them. It seams highly plausable that because of these events in there history that many of them were more inclined to trust the word of God from the prophets of Israel and for that reason many of them did perhaps convert to Judaism.

A few generations thereafter perhaps these same were more inclined to listen to the message of Jesus and his apostles since there fathers had perhaps told them of these events. For which reason it may say that Israel, Assyria and Egypt were a blessing in the land.

That seems different than "In that day there will be a highway from Egypt to Assyria, and the Assyrian will come into Egypt and the Egyptian into Assyria, and the Egyptians will serve with the Assyrians. In that day Israel will be one of three with Egypt and Assyria—a blessing in the midst of the land, whom the LORD of hosts shall bless, saying, “Blessed is Egypt My people, and Assyria the work of My hands, and Israel My inheritance.” I mean, I would guess that if anything like what Isaiah described here came even close to happening, we would have known about it?
    The Rookie

That seems different than "In that day there will be a highway from Egypt to Assyria, and the Assyrian will come into Egypt and the Egyptian into Assyria, and the Egyptians will serve with the Assyrians. In that day Israel will be one of three with Egypt and Assyria—a blessing in the midst of the land, whom the LORD of hosts shall bless, saying, “Blessed is Egypt My people, and Assyria the work of My hands, and Israel My inheritance.” I mean, I would guess that if anything like what Isaiah described here came even close to happening, we would have known about it?
    What if the city of Alexandria is where the Egyptians served/serve with the Assyrians ?

Do you find it ironic that Alexander marched directly from Egypt to Assyria ?

Consider that the remnant of Assyria to this day are christian for the most part even though they face a constantly encroaching Islamic culture. And that they were one of the first to build a christian church. And was given its blessing by St Peter. Since then they converted to catholic and somewhat divided however during the times from 300bc-300ad they were perhaps a blessing in the land.

Got it - that's helpful. Thanks much!
    The Rookie

Thread Information