Page 20 of 20 FirstFirst ... 91011121314151617181920

Thread: Three Days and Three Nights

Blog Entries

Re: Three Days and Three Nights

Quote Originally Posted by rstrats View Post
    watchinginawe,
    re: "Three night times are involved when considering Jesus' betrayal and imprisonment."

What is there in scripture that makes it necessary to think that the Messiah is including His night time in the garden as part of His 3 night stay in the "heart of the earth"?
    Well, we could look at Jesus' words in Luke 9:

Luke 9:20-22 He said unto them, But whom say ye that I am? Peter answering said, The Christ of God. And he straitly charged them, and commanded them to tell no man that thing; Saying, The Son of man must suffer many things, and be rejected of the elders and chief priests and scribes, and be slain, and be raised the third day.

And Luke 18:

Luke 18:31-33 Then he took unto him the twelve, and said unto them, Behold, we go up to Jerusalem, and all things that are written by the prophets concerning the Son of man shall be accomplished. For he shall be delivered unto the Gentiles, and shall be mocked, and spitefully entreated, and spitted on: And they shall scourge him, and put him to death: and the third day he shall rise again.[/B]

Now the above would qualify as prophesies of Jesus concerning His passion, death, and resurrection.

Following are narrative events AFTER Jesus' resurrection.

Luke 24:5-8 And as they were afraid, and bowed down their faces to the earth, they said unto them, Why seek ye the living among the dead? He is not here, but is risen: remember how he spake unto you when he was yet in Galilee, Saying, The Son of man must be delivered into the hands of sinful men, and be crucified, and the third day rise again. And they remembered his words,

And again, from Jesus' words to the Apostles:

Luke 24:44-46 And he said unto them, These are the words which I spake unto you, while I was yet with you, that all things must be fulfilled, which were written in the law of Moses, and in the prophets, and in the psalms, concerning me. Then opened he their understanding, that they might understand the scriptures, And said unto them, Thus it is written, and thus it behoved Christ to suffer, and to rise from the dead the third day:

In each account of the above, Jesus includes the events after the betrayal, the judgment of the Elders, the turning over unto the Gentiles, the putting to death by crucifixion, the burial, and the resurrection "the third day".

Here is the sequence of events in Luke 22 after Jesus' prayer and being strengthened by the Angel:

Luke 22:47-48 And while he yet spake, behold a multitude, and he that was called Judas, one of the twelve, went before them, and drew near unto Jesus to kiss him. But Jesus said unto him, Judas, betrayest thou the Son of man with a kiss?
    52-54 Then Jesus said unto the chief priests, and captains of the temple, and the elders, which were come to him, Be ye come out, as against a thief, with swords and staves? When I was daily with you in the temple, ye stretched forth no hands against me: but this is your hour, and the power of darkness. Then took they him, and led him, and brought him into the high priest's house. And Peter followed afar off.
    63-66 And the men that held Jesus mocked him, and smote him. And when they had blindfolded him, they struck him on the face, and asked him, saying, Prophesy, who is it that smote thee? And many other things blasphemously spake they against him. And as soon as it was day, the elders of the people and the chief priests and the scribes came together, and led him into their council,

These are all recounted by Luke, showing the import of Jesus' prophesies concerning Him and the actual events, starting the evening of the Last Supper where Jesus was betrayed.
    Watchinginawe

I Samuel 3:10 And the LORD came, and stood, and called as at other times, Samuel, Samuel. Then Samuel answered, Speak; for thy servant heareth.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by rstrats
    re: " Indeed, the topic at hand is paradoxical in many respects..."

How so?
    Idioms and metaphors are often paradoxical. But let's keep it simple.

Matthew 20:17-19 And Jesus going up to Jerusalem took the twelve disciples apart in the way, and said unto them, Behold, we go up to Jerusalem; and the Son of man shall be betrayed unto the chief priests and unto the scribes, and they shall condemn him to death, And shall deliver him to the Gentiles to mock, and to scourge, and to crucify him: and the third day he shall rise again.

Notice the detailed sequence of events that Jesus says is to take place re: our other conversation regarding the "first night". Anyway, Jesus "the third day shall rise again".

Matthew 12:38-40 Then certain of the scribes and of the Pharisees answered, saying, Master, we would see a sign from thee. But he answered and said unto them, An evil and adulterous generation seeketh after a sign; and there shall no sign be given to it, but the sign of the prophet Jonas: For as Jonas was three days and three nights in the whale's belly; so shall the Son of man be three days and three nights in the heart of the earth.

If one takes both above literally, as in Jesus "knowing how to count", etc. and Jesus knowing that there are 12 hours in a day and 12 hours in a night, and thus Jesus stated in Matthew 12 that He would be in the tomb 72 hours; then there is a paradox with what Jesus stated in Matthew 20 and in the other Gospels, especially in light of the narrative events concerning Jesus' passion, death, and resurrection.

To resolve it, the "72 hour" folks decide that Jesus was placed in the tomb at sundown on Wednesday. And then:

Jesus in tomb, night one.
    Jesus in tomb, day one.
    Night and day 1.

Jesus in tomb, night two.
    Jesus in tomb, day two.
    Night and day 2.

Jesus in tomb, night three.
    Jesus in tomb, day three.
    Night and day 3.

Jesus rises again after 3 days, but at sundown. How does that reconcile, knowing Jesus knows how to count, and knows the difference between night and day, with Jesus' saying that the third day he shall rise again? Did he rise at sundown, or during the "day" as He says in Matthew 20?

Now people who reckon according to the above use the "must have" approach to the recounting of the actual events in the Gospels. So it "must have" been Thursday as the first Sabbath, and Saturday as the weekly Sabbath, and that the women could only get the spices purchased and prepared on the Day of Preparation Friday and ran out of time, and thus had to wait until the first day of the week to come to the empty tomb which had been empty for 12 hours+ to that point.

But if you read the narratives, none of that "invention" is recounted or indicated in any of them. Also, an evening resurrection contradicts Jesus saying He would rise during "day". Not "the third evening", or "the third night", but consistently "the third day".

If one starts out with the assumption that Jesus predicted a time interval of 72 hours, then the narrative events are interpreted to add extra days and events to support the saying. You can pretty much make ANY Biblical prophecy or saying true by doing that, right? I can't abide by that.

Anyway, Jesus' sayings on the topic before His death and resurrection appear to be paradoxical. However, in ALL cases, in ALL four Gospels and the rest of the New Testament, Jesus suffered betrayal and blasphemy, is judged, is crucified, buried, and risen from the dead the third day, just as He prophesied before the matter.
    Watchinginawe

I Samuel 3:10 And the LORD came, and stood, and called as at other times, Samuel, Samuel. Then Samuel answered, Speak; for thy servant heareth.

watchinginawe,
    re: " Also, an evening resurrection contradicts Jesus saying He would rise during 'day'. Not 'the third evening', or 'the third night', but consistently 'the third day'. "

How can you be so certain that the Messiah was referring to the daytime as opposed to the calendar day?

Blog Entries

watchinginawe,
    re: " Also, an evening resurrection contradicts Jesus saying He would rise during 'day'. Not 'the third evening', or 'the third night', but consistently 'the third day'. "

How can you be so certain that the Messiah was referring to the daytime as opposed to the calendar day?
    rstrats, I believe Jesus was making reference to a sequence of days, "the third day", and not necessarily whether it would be daylight or dark. My remarks were more towards showing how if one takes all the sayings literally, then they are immediately paradoxical. If Jesus means exactly 3 day periods and 3 night periods in Matthew 12, then saying He would rise "the third day" in Matthew 20 would have to be interpreted accordingly, and thus Jesus referencing which of the "days and nights" He would rise on, giving rise to a paradox.

Notwithstanding the above, I also believe the narratives indicate that Jesus rose early the first day of the week, as in dawn or sunrise. So, from that perspective, it certainly is possible that Jesus could have been referencing both a sequence of days and the time of day when He prophesied on many occasions that He would rise "the third day".

If you count up Jesus' references to His resurrection that we have recorded in the Gospels, on "the third day" is handily the most common. (I will look to see if I can find a previous post on this topic.)

Interestingly, "the third day" reference is the one which most disagrees with the single supposed 72 hour reference in Matthew 12.

Many reconcile that difference by assuming the very many "the third day" references actually refer to the one supposed 72 hour reference.

For me, I reconcile that difference by assuming the supposed 72 hour reference is like and kind to the predominate "the third day" references. The reasoning for this is that we have the events of the passion, death, burial, and resurrection narrated for us. We even have Jesus Himself using "the third day" reference after His resurrection. The Gospels are written as narratives concerning just one Jesus Christ with the events of the passion, crucifixion, and the resurrected Christ being witnessed events. One is not asked to believe on or not Jesus Christ based on whether the account indicates He was in the tomb 72 hours. We know Jesus is the Christ because of His ministry, death, and resurrection. The Gospels were written after the fact already knowing the outcome and the identity of Jesus Christ.

Luke 1:1-4 Forasmuch as many have taken in hand to set forth in order a declaration of those things which are most surely believed among us, Even as they delivered them unto us, which from the beginning were eyewitnesses, and ministers of the word; It seemed good to me also, having had perfect understanding of all things from the very first, to write unto thee in order, most excellent Theophilus, That thou mightest know the certainty of those things, wherein thou hast been instructed.

Luke's major purpose of the Gospel is the recounting of the events in a narrative manner of that which was delivered by faithful witnesses to the Gospel writer and affirmed by the Holy Spirit.

In the Gospel of Matthew, Matthew editorializes certain things to bring attention to the reader the prophecies fulfilled concerning Jesus. For example:

Matthew 4:12-16 Now when Jesus had heard that John was cast into prison, he departed into Galilee; And leaving Nazareth, he came and dwelt in Capernaum, which is upon the sea coast, in the borders of Zabulon and Nephthalim: That it might be fulfilled which was spoken by Esaias the prophet, saying, The land of Zabulon, and the land of Nephthalim, by the way of the sea, beyond Jordan, Galilee of the Gentiles; The people which sat in darkness saw great light; and to them which sat in the region and shadow of death light is sprung up.

So Matthew brings context to the prophecy of Isaiah according to the actual narrative events, and this retrospectively and with inspiration of the Holy Spirit.

Whatever is said concerning future events that precede actual narrative events must be put in context by the actual events recorded no matter how inconvenient that may be. Plus, concerning Jesus' passion, death, and resurrection, we have historical tradition observed concerning the same events. Some say that perhaps the church completely lost the sequence of events and at sometime later decided to institute celebrations based on their ignorant interpretation of the now published Gospels. I see no reason to doubt the historical tradition which surely had to match up with the Gospels, else they would have immediately been branded as fiction.

All evidence to the believer points to Jesus Christ's birth, ministry, passion, judgment, crucifixion, burial, and resurrection as both a historical figure and historical events. We have written testimonies and historical tradition which give a strong credence to the historicity of Jesus Christ and His ministry, death, and resurrection.
    Watchinginawe

"rstrats, like me, has been at this topic for many years now, maybe more than a decade."

Actually, it's been more than 15 years.

Re: "Many many studied posts on the topic have been exchanged."

And so far no one who believes the crucifixion took place on the 6th day of the week, and who thinks the "heart of the earth" is referring to the tomb, and who tries to explain the lack of a 3rd night by saying that the Messiah was employing common figure of speech/colloquial language of the time has provided any examples which show that it was common to say that a daytime or a night time would be involved with an event when no part of the daytime or no part of the night time could have occurred.
    Hi RStrats. I’m not sure I can show it was ‘common’ to refer to a period of time in exactly the manner you suggest any more than anyone else can show it wasn’t common to do so. (Very few if any references to ‘x days and x nights’ can be dated independently.) That it’s legitimate to refer to the interval between Friday and Sunday as ‘three days and three nights’ can, however, be shown with a reasonable degree of confidence. I have some brief thoughts on the matter here in case they’re of use/help: https://www.academia.edu/35166387/. God bless, James.

Thread Information