cure-real

Thread: Study: Major benefits for spina bifida surgery in the womb

Blog Entries

Study: Major benefits for spina bifida surgery in the womb

http://www.cnn.com/2011/HEALTH/02/09...ex.html?hpt=T2
    Study: Major benefits for spina bifida surgery in the womb

(CNN) -- Right before Christmas 2002, Tara Hallman was told her 20-week-old fetus had spina bifida, a common birth defect of the spine.

There is no cure, only treatment, so some parents choose to end the pregnancy. If the pregnancy is carried to term, the newborn needs an operationa few days later, so the spinal cord can be pushed back into the spinal column.

Hallman was presented with a third option: Doctors could operate on her baby while it was still in the womb.

A new study in the New England Journal of Medicine says that if a baby is operated on while still in the uterus, the most serious complications of the worst form of spina bifada, myelomeningocele, can be lessened.
    (read the rest at the link)

There is a photo at the top of this article of a tiny 22 week old fetuse's hand grasping the doctors finger. So I liked the article for that of course and also for the type of surgery they are doing having known a number of children and adults who were born with one or both of these birth defects. Surgery on an unborn baby isn't anything new of course...but I am glad they figured out how to help these babies before their condition gets worse while waiting to be born. Its just a really nice story.

God bless
    "People do not drift toward holiness. Apart from grace-driven effort, people do not gravitate toward godliness, prayer, obedience to Scripture, faith, and delight in the Lord. We drift toward compromise and call it tolerance; We drift toward disobedience and call it freedom; We drift toward superstition and call it faith. We cherish the indiscipline of lost self-control and call it relaxation; we slouch toward prayerlessness and delude ourselves into thinking we have escaped legalism; we slide toward godlessness and convince ourselves we have been liberated?" - D A Carson

Re: Study: Major benefits for spina bifida surgery in the womb

I've heard about this surgery being performed a few times over the past few years. I think it is amazing at what doctors are able to do nowdays. Doctor's didn't know anything was wrong with me until I was born and I was immediately sent to a large hospital two hours away for emergency surgery. It is also recommended that women of child bearing age take a certain amount of folic acid to help prevent this type of birth defect. I don't believe this is as widely known as it should be.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by *Living~By~Faith* View Post
    I've heard about this surgery being performed a few times over the past few years. I think it is amazing at what doctors are able to do nowdays. Doctor's didn't know anything was wrong with me until I was born and I was immediately sent to a large hospital two hours away for emergency surgery. It is also recommended that women of child bearing age take a certain amount of folic acid to help prevent this type of birth defect. I don't believe this is as widely known as it should be.
    Oh living by faith..I didn't ever know this was the reason you are in a wheelchair. And yes now they have much better sonograms and regularly check for this type of birth defect along with any other problems of course. I agree too they don't talk enough about women in their child bearing years taking folic acid. There was a couple of years ago some public information ads on TV about it but that faded away. Many pregnancies aren't planned so the mother to be isn't already taking folic acid and by the time she knows she is pregnant in many cases...the birth defect is already there. So I am very happy they can do this now.

God bless
    "People do not drift toward holiness. Apart from grace-driven effort, people do not gravitate toward godliness, prayer, obedience to Scripture, faith, and delight in the Lord. We drift toward compromise and call it tolerance; We drift toward disobedience and call it freedom; We drift toward superstition and call it faith. We cherish the indiscipline of lost self-control and call it relaxation; we slouch toward prayerlessness and delude ourselves into thinking we have escaped legalism; we slide toward godlessness and convince ourselves we have been liberated?" - D A Carson

i am usually too sick in my first trimesters to take supplements.
    i just throw them up.
    my ob told me not to worry about it...that the FDA mandates that most processed foods be enriched with folic acid for this reason. of course i'm sure it's better to just take the supplements.
    "Now get up and stand on your feet. I have appeared to you to appoint you as a servant and as a witness of what you have seen of me and what I will show you..."
    Acts 26:16

"If we are thrown into the blazing furnace, the God whom we serve is able to save us. He will rescue us from your power, Your Majesty.But even if he doesn’t, we want to make it clear to you, Your Majesty, that we will never serve your gods or worship the gold statue you have set up..."
    daniel 3

http://jason-beth-babynickel.blogspot.com/

Quote Originally Posted by PrayerInMemphis View Post
    i just throw them up.
    my ob told me not to worry about it...that the FDA mandates that most processed foods be enriched with folic acid for this reason. of course i'm sure it's better to just take the supplements.
    Not really - the body is able to utilize/absorb vitamins and minerals provided naturally through food.

I DO know that oral contraceptives deplete folic acid rapidly, so there are few reserves when a woman does get pregnant if she has been on the pill.

There are lists out there that tell you what foods are high in what vitamins and minerals. I know cabbage, eggs, liver, dried beans, broccoli are high in folic acid. I want to say green beans as well.

Anyway - that's my two cents :-)

Blog Entries
    i just throw them up.
    My understanding if the folic acid needs to be taken before a woman gets pregnant...because by the time you know you are..its too late if the baby has this birth defect. Taking it after you know you are pregnant won't fix it. Wish it would..but because of how the fetus develops...the brain and spinal cord first, those are what are affected with this birth defect.

I haven't heard they were putting more folic acid in foods though..that would be nice!

God bless

Amidst the lovely Blue Ridge Mountains of Virginia.

I am pregnant and have been pretty sick and unable to take my prenatals, but my midwife told me it's really more important how much folic acid you have in your system going into a pregnancy. I have been taking prenatals with folic acid for over 4 years leading up to this pregnancy, and into the first month or so of it so I think I was ok, and there have been no problems detected on the ultrasound.

In terms of the OP, the picture that goes with the article is amazing! It's also incredible to think they can perform surgery on a baby in the womb. I hope that this helps a lot of people to make a decision in support of life!
    In Christ,
    Katie

Romans 15:13 ~ May the God of hope fill you with all joy and peace in believing, so that by the power of the Holy Spirit you may abound in hope.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by NewInHim View Post
    I am pregnant and have been pretty sick and unable to take my prenatals, but my midwife told me it's really more important how much folic acid you have in your system going into a pregnancy. I have been taking prenatals with folic acid for over 4 years leading up to this pregnancy, and into the first month or so of it so I think I was ok, and there have been no problems detected on the ultrasound.

In terms of the OP, the picture that goes with the article is amazing! It's also incredible to think they can perform surgery on a baby in the womb. I hope that this helps a lot of people to make a decision in support of life!
    That is great you were taking the folic acid before you got pregnant. The prenatal vitamins are still important..if you can't stomach them though maybe you can see about injections? I know they can give vitamin shots so you could check this out. I am sure your baby is fine.

God bless

Quote Originally Posted by moonglow View Post
    My understanding if the folic acid needs to be taken before a woman gets pregnant...because by the time you know you are..its too late if the baby has this birth defect. Taking it after you know you are pregnant won't fix it. Wish it would..but because of how the fetus develops...the brain and spinal cord first, those are what are affected with this birth defect.
    right..it's best to take them @ conception...

Quote Originally Posted by moonglow View Post
    I haven't heard they were putting more folic acid in foods though..that would be nice!

God bless
    sliced bread & cereal were the specific foods my OB mentioned.
    "Now get up and stand on your feet. I have appeared to you to appoint you as a servant and as a witness of what you have seen of me and what I will show you..."
    Acts 26:16

"If we are thrown into the blazing furnace, the God whom we serve is able to save us. He will rescue us from your power, Your Majesty.But even if he doesn’t, we want to make it clear to you, Your Majesty, that we will never serve your gods or worship the gold statue you have set up..."
    daniel 3

http://jason-beth-babynickel.blogspot.com/

Blog Entries

right..it's best to take them @ conception...

sliced bread & cereal were the specific foods my OB mentioned.
    Oh yea..I think I did hear that about bread...forgot about it though. Thanks.

God bless

Thread Information