cure-real
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Why was Jesus led by the Spirit into the wilderness to be tempted/tested?

Blog Entries

Why was Jesus led by the Spirit into the wilderness to be tempted/tested?

Matthew 4:1 Then Jesus was led up by the Spirit into the wilderness to be tempted by the devil.
    The question here is not whether Jesus was tempted or tested or whether it was possible to test him. The question is, why would the Spirit do such a thing to him? This seems to have implications, not only for Jesus' walk, but our walk as well. What can we expect from the Spirit? Before we try to make application to our own walk. Let's speculate a bit, given all we know about God and his plans for Jesus and what Jesus will eventually accomplish, can we deduce or extrapolate an answer? Why did the Spirit of God lead Jesus into the wilderness to be tempted? Assuming that the Spirit was doing something that God wanted done, and assuming that God has a good purpose for everything, what was the reason; what purpose did it serve?

Blog Entries

Re: Why was Jesus led by the Spirit into the wilderness to be tempted/tested?

Quote Originally Posted by BroRog View Post
    Matthew 4:1 Then Jesus was led up by the Spirit into the wilderness to be tempted by the devil.
    The question here is not whether Jesus was tempted or tested or whether it was possible to test him. The question is, why would the Spirit do such a thing to him? This seems to have implications, not only for Jesus' walk, but our walk as well. What can we expect from the Spirit? Before we try to make application to our own walk. Let's speculate a bit, given all we know about God and his plans for Jesus and what Jesus will eventually accomplish, can we deduce or extrapolate an answer? Why did the Spirit of God lead Jesus into the wilderness to be tempted? Assuming that the Spirit was doing something that God wanted done, and assuming that God has a good purpose for everything, what was the reason; what purpose did it serve?
    Proved obedience to Him. He was, afterall, a man. As well... in all ways Jesus was tempted as we are. Without that... what would He know about what we go through here? I know we can hyper-spiritualize this and have heard it done many times. I don't think that necessary though. He knows what we deal with as He dealt with it too.

Visit our new website
    ! The Blog might interest some.. and Lord help me!!!... for those that twitter... there as well.

A.W. Tozer said,
    "To escape the error of salvation by works we have fallen into the opposite error of salvation without obedience.”

GO.... SERVE YOUR KING!

I totally agree that the necessity for Christ's temptation is so that He genuinely went through all we go through - that He truly was tested, and found perfect.

However, BroRog's post does really draw to attention the fact that, as I'd never actually noticed before, the Spirit led Christ out, to be tempted.
    When Christ tells us how to pray, He says we are to ask to be led not into temptation - yet here we find just the opposite occurring, by the Holy Spirit. I do find that a little odd, if I'm honest.
    Call to Me and I will answer you, and will tell you great and hidden things that you have not known. Jeremiah 33:3
    You put the stars in the sky and you know them by name, You see the depths of my heart and You love me the same, You are amazing, God.
    I do not 'hope' I am saved and I do not 'think' I am saved, I know it with an absolute conviction. I know that I am saved just as I know that I think and I know that I feel. I am purchased and sealed, His possession.

So that while in the likeness of sinful flesh, God could know (oida G1492) what it was to be man; thus He is our High Priest forever after the order of Melchizedek.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by PneumaPsucheSoma View Post
    So that while in the likeness of sinful flesh, God could know (oida G1492) what it was to be man; thus He is our High Priest forever after the order of Melchizedek.
    Gotta love Hebrews! If I could only have one book of the Bible to keep... that would be the one.

Visit our new website
    ! The Blog might interest some.. and Lord help me!!!... for those that twitter... there as well.

A.W. Tozer said,
    "To escape the error of salvation by works we have fallen into the opposite error of salvation without obedience.”

GO.... SERVE YOUR KING!

Quote Originally Posted by ProjectPeter View Post
    Gotta love Hebrews! If I could only have one book of the Bible to keep... that would be the one.
    Hebrews is what showed me the Deity of Jesus beyond doctrine, so I concur. John and 1John next.

Blog Entries

what purpose did it serve?
    Among what others already said: knowing on beforehand the story one day would become Scripture, teach us how to resist the devil, quoting Scripture.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by PneumaPsucheSoma View Post
    Hebrews is what showed me the Deity of Jesus beyond doctrine, so I concur. John and 1John next.
    1 John would be in my running too but I'd have to lean towards my boy Pete and go with 2 Peter. Seriously... If I could only give one passage of Scripture to someone that was a believer but couldn't have a Bible and they needed something they could memorize for direction in their walk... 2 Peter 1: 1-11. I've hollered that on this board since I've been here... thanks for the opening to holler again.

Visit our new website

A.W. Tozer said,

GO.... SERVE YOUR KING!

1 John would be in my running too but I'd have to lean towards my boy Pete and go with 2 Peter. Seriously... If I could only give one passage of Scripture to someone that was a believer but couldn't have a Bible and they needed something they could memorize for direction in their walk... 2 Peter 1: 1-11. I've hollered that on this board since I've been here... thanks for the opening to holler again.
    Yep. And on through v17, where God's Soul in Matt. 12:18 is confirmed as being the Father.

Proved obedience to Him. He was, afterall, a man. As well... in all ways Jesus was tempted as we are. Without that... what would He know about what we go through here? I know we can hyper-spiritualize this and have heard it done many times. I don't think that necessary though. He knows what we deal with as He dealt with it too.
    Agreed.

Firstfruits

Blog Entries

Yes, there was value, profit, enrichment in the experience. Let's go deeper though. If we take for granted that Jesus was the kind of person who would survive such a test, then simply having such an experience is valuable and enriching and gives him a perspective he wouldn't otherwise have. But let's not take this for granted, and suspend this aspect for a brief moment. Beyond some hypothetical strong possiblity, did Jesus actually know he would pass this test? Suppose it was an open question for him. Suppose he quoted Deuteronomy because he was meditating on the book just prior to this test. Did Jesus gain something else from the experience? Something personal and particular to him?

Blog Entries

Yes, there was value, profit, enrichment in the experience. Let's go deeper though. If we take for granted that Jesus was the kind of person who would survive such a test, then simply having such an experience is valuable and enriching and gives him a perspective he wouldn't otherwise have. But let's not take this for granted, and suspend this aspect for a brief moment. Beyond some hypothetical strong possiblity, did Jesus actually know he would pass this test? Suppose it was an open question for him. Suppose he quoted Deuteronomy because he was meditating on the book just prior to this test. Did Jesus gain something else from the experience? Something personal and particular to him?
    He was a man so I'd have to say yes, most certainly. Otherwise... we've a problem with the whole man thing.

Visit our new website

A.W. Tozer said,

GO.... SERVE YOUR KING!

I'll throw an "outside the box" purpose in the mix: what about the purpose it served as it relates to (1) THE Anointed Man of God under the power of the Holy Spirit (2) thundering scripture and truth at the prince of the power of the air - true spiritual warfare - (3) "clearing the air" over the region (binding the strong man) - leading to (4) one of the most incredible revivals in history at the end of Matthew 4...
    The Rookie

Twelve is the number of government. Thus, it is quite apropos that I am on my way towards wielding the power of twelve bars - each bar like, say, a tribe.....or a star.....or, maybe an apostle. A blue apostle. Like apostle smurfs. Does anyone remember smurfs? And all the controversy about them being from the devil? It's probably bad that I juxtaposed "apostle" and "smurf" in the same sentence. But then, I probably lost you at "blue apostle". Yes, my friends, this is what "rare jewel of a person" is actually implying. "Rare Jewel of a Person" really means, "Potentially Insane".

Blog Entries

He was a man so I'd have to say yes, most certainly. Otherwise... we've a problem with the whole man thing.
    Yes, and of course, this is pure speculation on my part because I don't know what it's like to be Jesus. But if I suspend my "superman" view of Jesus for the moment, I allow myself to ask, "Did Jesus learn something about himself that day?" When I watch a Superman movie, I come to it with a preconcieved idea that Superman has certain superhuman capablities, which allows him to defeat the bad guys. And I cheer for Superman, not only because he is a nice guy, but because he confronts evil and wins. And frankly when I read the temptations of Jesus I come to the passage with my preconcieved view of Jesus. He really is my hero and I know his capablities, which to me seem superhuman -- I don't know if I could have stood before Satan himself and gone toe-to-toe with him.

Nevertheless, if I temporarily suspend what I already know about Jesus, and place myself in time before Jesus was tested, before the fait accompli (established fact) I see a man, an untested man. Looking at that moment with my contemporaneous glass on, what do I see? I don't know him as my hero; I see him as a man with, perhaps, a man's courage. I see him as a man with, perhaps, a man's intellect. But in order to truly understand the significance of the moment, I can't look at the account as a superhero movie, coming to the account with my picture of the hero Jesus. I can't assume a good ending; I can't assume the hero wins in the end. In order to understand the impact of the moment, I need to suspend the idea that this event will turn out good. I need to assume, at least during the time I am wearing my contemporaneous glasses, that Jesus could have failed. Once I take my position, to a time prior to the test, when for all honesty the outcome was ambiguous, and I see my master and teacher pass the test, at that moment he truly becomes my hero. Here stood a man with a man's courage, facing an existential moment so significant the outcome would determine the fate of the entire universe, having been led by the Spirit into a dark place of doubt and hunger, not a known superhero but an untested human being.

I really do admire the Titans, the Supermans, fighting evil, standing up for the right and the good, and risking all for the weak and disadvantaged. I resonate with that story. But I resonate with Jesus more. He is MY hero because he did things that humans can do or will be able to do. He convinces me that this could one day be me, that a person like me, without superpowers, will be able to face moments such as these as a man, with a man's courage, with a man's vulnerability. That's just it; unless I can see the vulnerability of Jesus at that moment, I can't know him as the one who paves the way for the rest of us.

Now I'm just rambling. Hopefully this makes sense.

Blog Entries

Yes, and of course, this is pure speculation on my part because I don't know what it's like to be Jesus. But if I suspend my "superman" view of Jesus for the moment, I allow myself to ask, "Did Jesus learn something about himself that day?" When I watch a Superman movie, I come to it with a preconcieved idea that Superman has certain superhuman capablities, which allows him to defeat the bad guys. And I cheer for Superman, not only because he is a nice guy, but because he confronts evil and wins. And frankly when I read the temptations of Jesus I come to the passage with my preconcieved view of Jesus. He really is my hero and I know his capablities, which to me seem superhuman -- I don't know if I could have stood before Satan himself and gone toe-to-toe with him.

Nevertheless, if I temporarily suspend what I already know about Jesus, and place myself in time before Jesus was tested, before the fait accompli (established fact) I see a man, an untested man. Looking at that moment with my contemporaneous glass on, what do I see? I don't know him as my hero; I see him as a man with, perhaps, a man's courage. I see him as a man with, perhaps, a man's intellect. But in order to truly understand the significance of the moment, I can't look at the account as a superhero movie, coming to the account with my picture of the hero Jesus. I can't assume a good ending; I can't assume the hero wins in the end. In order to understand the impact of the moment, I need to suspend the idea that this event will turn out good. I need to assume, at least during the time I am wearing my contemporaneous glasses, that Jesus could have failed. Once I take my position, to a time prior to the test, when for all honesty the outcome was ambiguous, and I see my master and teacher pass the test, at that moment he truly becomes my hero. Here stood a man with a man's courage, facing an existential moment so significant the outcome would determine the fate of the entire universe, having been led by the Spirit into a dark place of doubt and hunger, not a known superhero but an untested human being.

I really do admire the Titans, the Supermans, fighting evil, standing up for the right and the good, and risking all for the weak and disadvantaged. I resonate with that story. But I resonate with Jesus more. He is MY hero because he did things that humans can do or will be able to do. He convinces me that this could one day be me, that a person like me, without superpowers, will be able to face moments such as these as a man, with a man's courage, with a man's vulnerability. That's just it; unless I can see the vulnerability of Jesus at that moment, I can't know him as the one who paves the way for the rest of us.

Now I'm just rambling. Hopefully this makes sense.
    Works for me. Ramble away.

Visit our new website

A.W. Tozer said,

GO.... SERVE YOUR KING!

Thread Information