cure-real

Thread: Was the Ethiopian Eunuch an Ethiopian Jew? From Acts Chapter 8

Was the Ethiopian Eunuch an Ethiopian Jew? From Acts Chapter 8

Came up in another thread. I admit I never gave this much thought but am curious to see what evidence there is that might support this.

I have no opinion one way or the other.
    E ku'u lesu, ku'u Ho'ola
    'O'oe ke ala,
    A me ka 'oia'i'o
    A me Keolamauloa
    'Amene

My Jesus, My savior. You are the way, the truth and the everlasting life. Amen

In the slave pits of manmade Christianity, setting the captives free.

Re: Was the Ethiopian Eunuch an Ethiopian Jew? From Acts Chapter 8

The text itself says that he was going to Jerusalem to worship.

There wasn't anything to worship in Jerusalem except to worship at the Jewish temple. He was reading the Jewish sacred text of Isaiah.

I don't think he was Methodist.

Holding pattern awaiting further instructions
    Blog Entries

“27 And he arose and went: and, behold, a man of Ethiopia, an eunuch of great authority under Candace queen of the Ethiopians, who had the charge of all her treasure, and had come to Jerusalem for to worship, 28 Was returning, and sitting in his chariot read Esaias the prophet. 29 Then the Spirit said unto Philip, Go near, and join thyself to this chariot. 30 And Philip ran thither to [him], and heard him read the prophet Esaias, and said, Understandest thou what thou readest? 31 And he said, How can I, except some man should guide me? And he desired Philip that he would come up and sit with him. 32 The place of the scripture which he read was this, He was led as a sheep to the slaughter; and like a lamb dumb before his shearer, so opened he not his mouth: 33 In his humiliation his judgment was taken away: and who shall declare his generation? for his life is taken from the earth. 34 And the eunuch answered Philip, and said, I pray thee, of whom speaketh the prophet this? of himself, or of some other man? 35 Then Philip opened his mouth, and began at the same scripture, and preached unto him Jesus.” (Acts 8:27-35 AV)

Acts 8:27 tells us the Ethopian had come to Jerusalem to worship. Therefore it can be inferred that he had gone there to worship in the temple, built by Herod, and was a gentile convert to Judaism (i.e. a proselyte).
    Who shall separate us from the love of Christ? Shall tribulation, or distress, or persecution, or famine, or nakedness, or danger, or sword? As it is written, ‘For your sake we are being killed all the day long; we are regarded as sheep to be slaughtered.’ No, in all these things we are more than conquerors through him who loved us. For I am sure that neither death nor life, nor angels nor rulers, nor things present nor things to come, nor powers, nor height nor depth, nor anything else in all creation, will be able to separate us from the love of God in Christ Jesus our Lord.
    Rm 8:35-39

There were plenty of Ethiopian Jews that were not Gentile converts.

Besides, a "gentile" convert to Judaism IS a Jew by definition, regardless of DNA.

Quote Originally Posted by RabbiKnife View Post
    The text itself says that he was going to Jerusalem to worship.

There wasn't anything to worship in Jerusalem except to worship at the Jewish temple. He was reading the Jewish sacred text of Isaiah.

I don't think he was Methodist.
    OK so going to Jerusalem to worship or reading Isaiah makes one a Jew?
    E ku'u lesu, ku'u Ho'ola
    'O'oe ke ala,
    A me ka 'oia'i'o
    A me Keolamauloa
    'Amene

Quote Originally Posted by Phish View Post
    OK so going to Jerusalem to worship or reading Isaiah makes one a Jew?
    There was nothing else to worship in Jerusalem except the Temple worship system. Historically, there was a very large contingency of Jews in Ethiopia.

Came up in another thread. I admit I never gave this much thought but am curious to see what evidence there is that might support this.

Hi Phish , and I see why he came to that conclusion .

In Acts 8:27 the Ethiopian is a believer in Jehovah for he is coming to WORSHIP .

And verse 36 , he is water baptized as Matt 3:11 says to do and and we know that Jews were scattered all over the Roman empire , dan p

He could have been a Jew. He could have been a "God-fearer".I suppose we will never know.
    As for Me, this is My covenant with them," says the LORD: "My Spirit who is on you, and My words that I have put in your mouth, will not depart from your mouth, or from the mouth of your children, or from the mouth of your children's children, from now on and forever," says the LORD.

Isaiah 59:21

Quote Originally Posted by Fenris View Post
    He could have been a Jew. He could have been a "God-fearer".I suppose we will never know.
    Quite correct. I must admit I am no scholar of the Ethiopian Jews. From what I did study, I think it would be pretty much accurate to say that Menelik pretty much made Judaism the state religion.

Blog Entries

a Cohanic DNA trait among Jewish men is found amongst the Ethopian Jews....

I always thought the Ethopian Jews were because of the Queen of Sheba who became with child with King Solomon..... or those who became Jews because of their conversion to Judaism...

I suppose the Cohen went back with the Queen of Sheba to minister to the new coverts.....

The LORD is my Miracle

G_d was gracious He has shown favor

Hope is a seed
    God plants in our hearts
    to remind us
    there are better things ahead.
    -Holley Gerth

Greetings Phish,

I too believe him to be a Gentile proselyte to the Jewish faith.

Joh*12:20 And there were certain Greeks [Gentile proselytes] among them that came up to worship at the feast:

Isa*56:3 Neither let the son of the stranger, that hath joined himself to the LORD, speak, saying, The LORD hath utterly separated me from his people: neither let the eunuch say, Behold, I am a dry tree.
    Isa*56:4 For thus saith the LORD unto the eunuchs that keep my sabbaths, and choose the things that please me, and take hold of my covenant;
    Isa*56:5 Even unto them will I give in mine house and within my walls a place and a name better than of sons and of daughters: I will give them an everlasting name, that shall not be cut off.
    Isa*56:6 Also the sons of the stranger, that join themselves to the LORD, to serve him, and to love the name of the LORD, to be his servants, every one that keepeth the sabbath from polluting it, and taketh hold of my covenant;
    Isa*56:7 Even them will I bring to my holy mountain, and make them joyful in my house of prayer: their burnt offerings and their sacrifices shall be accepted upon mine altar; for mine house shall be called an house of prayer for all people.
    Isa*56:8 The Lord GOD which gathereth the outcasts of Israel saith, Yet will I gather others to him, beside those that are gathered unto him.

Quote Originally Posted by RogerW View Post
    Greetings Phish,

I too believe him to be a Gentile proselyte to the Jewish faith.

Joh*12:20 And there were certain Greeks [Gentile proselytes] among them that came up to worship at the feast:

Isa*56:3 Neither let the son of the stranger, that hath joined himself to the LORD, speak, saying, The LORD hath utterly separated me from his people: neither let the eunuch say, Behold, I am a dry tree.
    Isa*56:4 For thus saith the LORD unto the eunuchs that keep my sabbaths, and choose the things that please me, and take hold of my covenant;
    Isa*56:5 Even unto them will I give in mine house and within my walls a place and a name better than of sons and of daughters: I will give them an everlasting name, that shall not be cut off.
    Isa*56:6 Also the sons of the stranger, that join themselves to the LORD, to serve him, and to love the name of the LORD, to be his servants, every one that keepeth the sabbath from polluting it, and taketh hold of my covenant;
    Isa*56:7 Even them will I bring to my holy mountain, and make them joyful in my house of prayer: their burnt offerings and their sacrifices shall be accepted upon mine altar; for mine house shall be called an house of prayer for all people.
    Isa*56:8 The Lord GOD which gathereth the outcasts of Israel saith, Yet will I gather others to him, beside those that are gathered unto him.
    Yes, this is great, got to make this in my bible, now I got to go find that bible highlighting thread.

Thanks for this post
    E ku'u lesu, ku'u Ho'ola
    'O'oe ke ala,
    A me ka 'oia'i'o
    A me Keolamauloa
    'Amene

I believe he was a Jew because when we read of Cornelius (a God fearer) Acts 10-11, acceptting Jesus Christ, the Christian Jews (Messianic Jews) stated: "When they heard these things, they held their peace, and glorified God, saying, Then hath God also to the Gentiles granted repentance to life." Acts 11:18 IMO from this statement we can tell til that time the Gospel was strictly given to the Jews.

Agree that Cornelius was the first Gentile convert that is recorded in Scritpure

Thread Information