cure-real

Thread: Scripture about Sleeping together before merrage?

Scripture about Sleeping together before merrage?

I have a friend that is living with his girlfriend. Both of them recently got saved and he is asking me for scripture referances as to why he has to sleep in the livingroom until they get merried in May. What are the scriptures refering to this?
    "I am the Christian the devil warned you about!"

Blog Entries

Re: Scripture about Sleeping together before merrage?

While it is a wise choice to avoid temptation, there are no scriptures that will tell you that. The Bible doesn't cover sleeping together at all, just sex.
    For what mortal has ever heard the voice of the living God speaking out of fire, as we have, and survived? ~ Deuteronomy 5:26

If you're not prepared to risk your very life for your "enemy" you have no right to speak to him of love. ~ Daughter

Many say they are called... but I am pretty convinced that with many of them it was the wrong number. ~ Project Peter

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by NavyFirefighter View Post
    I have a friend that is living with his girlfriend. Both of them recently got saved and he is asking me for scripture referances as to why he has to sleep in the livingroom until they get merried in May. What are the scriptures refering to this?
    I agree with Firefighter. I don't think we will find any scriptures preventing males and females from living in the same house. If so, it would have been a sin for me to live with my sisters growing up. However, I think it is wise to keep seperation and not sleep in the same room. The scriptures for this idea would be those passages that talk about being a stumbling block. In essence, we don't want to be the source of temptation for someone else, causing them to think that a "little sin" is okay. Better to wait a few months than to be the cause of someone to lose faith.

Thanks for the information. I also need some scripture referances.
    "I am the Christian the devil warned you about!"

Blog Entries

There are none...
    For what mortal has ever heard the voice of the living God speaking out of fire, as we have, and survived? ~ Deuteronomy 5:26

If you're not prepared to risk your very life for your "enemy" you have no right to speak to him of love. ~ Daughter

Many say they are called... but I am pretty convinced that with many of them it was the wrong number. ~ Project Peter

Sex before marriage is fornication. Any question that fornication is sin and not something Christians engage in?

For the cause of Christ
    Roger

Blog Entries

Thanks for the information. I also need some scripture referances.
    But take care that this liberty of yours does not somehow become a stumbling block to the weak. For if someone sees you, who have knowledge, dining in an idol's temple, will not his conscience, if he is weak, be strengthened to eat things sacrificed to idols? For through your knowledge he who is weak is ruined, the brother for whose sake Christ died. And so, by sinning against the brethren and wounding their conscience when it is weak, you sin against Christ. Therefore, if food causes my brother to stumble , I will never eat meat again, so that I will not cause my brother to stumble . 1Cor. 8:9-13

The context of this passage is meat offered to idols. But the principle is the same in your friend's case. Your friend and his fiancée are living in the same house, under the same roof, because each of them feels the freedom to live according to their own consciences, knowing that they are not having sex and nothing is wrong with what they are doing. This is probably an innocent way to save money and if they are not having sexual intercourse before marriage, then no harm is done.

Paul was dealing with a group of people, who according to the strength of their faith and knowing that idols were nothing more than stone and wood and that other gods didn't actually exist, felt free to eat meat that was offered to idols. And since they were correct, no harm was done. However, some of these liberated folks were leading other believers, with a lesser understanding, to think that a little sin is okay. Here's how this works.

Let's say that I am one of those liberated Christians who knows that idols are just pieces of stone and wood, and that other gods don't actually exist. And suppose I sit down to dinner with a Christian brother who still thinks that idols are the gateways to making contact with evil spirits and that to eat meat offered to this idol is to have a communal dinner with an evil spirit. And what if that brother sees that I am about to eat the meat and he turns to me and says, "you know brother, that meat has been offered to an idol." If I were to turn to him and say, "that's okay. I can eat it anyway" what would the brother think? What message would I be sending?

That brother might look at me with contempt, thinking that I am not actually commendable and not really a believer. We are not worried about him, since he has no respect for me anyway. But that brother might have respect for me and actually look up to me. In this case, that brother will think that I approve of a little sin in my life. He might look at me and think, "Gee Brorog is a good guy, and he knows his bible, and yet he eats meat offered to idols. He must be okay with sinning against God." If this is the case, by my eating the meat, I may have caused this other brother to lose his faith. I may have sent him on a long road down hill from which he may never recover.

And so Paul is asking me, "Brorog, wouldn't it have been better to not eat the meat? Wouldn't have been better to eat vegetables during that one meal rather than sending a brother down that long path to destruction?" Yes, I am free to eat the meat. My theology is correct: god's don't exist and idols are nothing but stone and wood. But not everyone is as informed as I am and if my brother might get the wrong message, it is certainly worth skipping a meat meal now and again when I am having dinner with a younger, less informed brother.

The same principle applies to this young couple who want to get married. It might be that the man knows that simply living in the same house with a woman doesn't mean anything. In fact, they both might agree that nothing is going on and that everything is cool. Their faith might be strong and they may have extreme self control, but what kind of message are they sending to others who know them? That's the issue here, I think. If their Christian friends come over and find that the couple is sleeping in the bedroom together. They might conclude, "I guess having a little sin in our lives is okay."

We are to avoid even the appearance of evil.

"abstain from every appearance of evil." 1Thess. 5:22

Blog Entries

Woe to the world for temptations to sin! For it is necessary that temptations come, but woe to the one by whom the temptation comes!

Matthew 18:7

In the slave pits of manmade Christianity, setting the captives free.

Quote Originally Posted by episkopos View Post
    We are to avoid even the appearance of evil.

"abstain from every appearance of evil." 1Thess. 5:22
    Check the Greek on that.

Thread Information