cure-real

Thread: What happens if a few nuclear reactors in japan meltdown?

What happens if a few nuclear reactors in japan meltdown?

Hi everyone.

Just wondering if anyone on here has any information on what could occur if a couple or few of those nuclear plants melted down?

What can happen around the direct vacinity of the plants?

What can happen around a "middle" distance...hmm, say 1/4 to 1/2 across the world from it?

Finally whats the "damage" (people/water/plants ext) across the world?

Hopefully someone who has this particular eartly knowledge pops by this thread.

Re: What happens if a few nuclear reactors in japan meltdown?

Three mile island is a nuclear plant in the United States that went through a meltdown many years ago. It is not good but it is not another Chernobal in Russia.

Blog Entries
    Right now they are saying the radiation levels are dropping...but if something happened it would affect those in the six mile area of this plant. The long term damage would be cancer in the future. They are handing out iodine tablets to those in that area to stop any damaging effects of radiation and evacuating those around the plant too. Here is more about it on this news report:

Japanese official says pumping system caused nuclear plant blast

Its those in the immediate area affected by such things..even as bad as the one in Chernobal was, its not far reaching so we don't have anything to be worried about but we still need to be praying for this people.

God bless
    "People do not drift toward holiness. Apart from grace-driven effort, people do not gravitate toward godliness, prayer, obedience to Scripture, faith, and delight in the Lord. We drift toward compromise and call it tolerance; We drift toward disobedience and call it freedom; We drift toward superstition and call it faith. We cherish the indiscipline of lost self-control and call it relaxation; we slouch toward prayerlessness and delude ourselves into thinking we have escaped legalism; we slide toward godlessness and convince ourselves we have been liberated?" - D A Carson

Blog Entries

I have an acquaintance on another board, John H., who is a missionary in Japan. Here was what he said last night about the nuclear power plant.

You may have seen on American news about trouble at a Japanese nuclear power plant stemming from the earthquake. This has been on Japanese news a good deal, and every station we get has nothing but earthquake news, so there has been a lot of news about that. The truth is, there is trouble at two plants, and they've evacuated everyone for ten kilometers around each.

There was a huge explosion at one plant, with many injured, though none reported dead. They showed it over and over on the news. However, the minister in the government in charge of the situation informed us that there was no known radiation problem. However, other sources have been reporting possible fuel leaks, so it's an ongoing situation.
    As far as nuclear meltdowns are concerned, yes they can be greatly damaging, but not in a "Chinatown" science fiction sort of way (Or was that "The China Sydrome" - I can't remember). These "meltdowns" aren't what you see in the movies. And they aren't going to do damage like the nuclear bombs did at Hiroshima and Nagasaki. A "meltdown", which I read was not exactly a scientific word, but more of a slang term, is just when the cooling mechanisms fail and radiation can leak and sometimes, like in the case of Chernobyl, explosions can occur.

Chernobyl was very bad. About 30 deaths and many sick. I can remember it. I can also remember reading a couple of years after it happened that the surrounding areas of land were uninhabitable because of radiation contamination.

I had to look up the specific stats, but here they are:

(An excerpt from http://www.world-nuclear.org/info/chernobyl/inf07.html

The accident destroyed the Chernobyl 4 reactor, killing 30 operators and firemen within three months and several further deaths later. One person was killed immediately and a second died in hospital soon after as a result of injuries received. Another person is reported to have died at the time from a coronary thrombosisc. Acute radiation syndrome (ARS) was originally diagnosed in 237 people on-site and involved with the clean-up and it was later confirmed in 134 cases. Of these, 28 people died as a result of ARS within a few weeks of the accident. Nineteen more subsequently died between 1987 and 2004 but their deaths cannot necessarily be attributed to radiation exposured. Nobody off-site suffered from acute radiation effects although a large proportion of childhood thyroid cancers diagnosed since the accident is likely to be due to intake of radioactive iodine falloutd. Furthermore, large areas of Belarus, Ukraine, Russia and beyond were contaminated in varying degrees. See also sections below and Chernobyl Accident Appendix 2: Health Impacts.

The Chernobyl disaster was a unique event and the only accident in the history of commercial nuclear power where radiation-related fatalities occurrede. However, the design of the reactor is unique and the accident is thus of little relevance to the rest of the nuclear industry outside the then Eastern Bloc.
    (An excerpt from Three Mile Island)

In 1979 at Three Mile Island nuclear power plant in USA a cooling malfunction caused part of the core to melt in the # 2 reactor. The TMI-2 reactor was destroyed.
    Some radioactive gas was released a couple of days after the accident, but not enough to cause any dose above background levels to local residents.
    There were no injuries or adverse health effects from the Three Mile Island accident.
    The Three Mile Island power station is near Harrisburg, Pennsylvania in USA. It had two pressurized water reactors. One PWR was of 800 MWe (775 MWe net) and entered service in 1974. It remains one of the best-performing units in USA. Unit 2 was of 906 MWe (880 MWe net) and almost brand new.
    ".....it's your nickel"

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by jayne View Post
    I have an acquaintance on another board, John H., who is a missionary in Japan. Here was what he said last night about the nuclear power plant.

As far as nuclear meltdowns are concerned, yes they can be greatly damaging, but not in a "Chinatown" science fiction sort of way (Or was that "The China Sydrome" - I can't remember). These "meltdowns" aren't what you see in the movies. And they aren't going to do damage like the nuclear bombs did at Hiroshima and Nagasaki.

Chernobyl was very bad. About 30 deaths and many sick. I can remember it. I can also remember reading a couple of years after it happened that the surrounding areas of land were uninhabitable because of radiation contamination.

I had to look up the specific stats, but here they are:
    Very good...and what they said about Chernobyl on the news this morning in talking about that in relation to what is happening in Japan. Gave the exact same facts too only added if Russia hadn't been so busy trying to downplay this instead of getting those people out of there and getting them iodine tablets the later deaths/cancer might have been avoided. Instead they let those around that area stay there too long and they were breathing this stuff in and drinking in it their water and milk...getting it in their system.

I watched a documentary on Chernobyl last year and still that place is uninhabitable due to the radiation in the ground, the buildings, everything. Its had to remain abandoned. Not sure what Japan would do if things were contaminated by radiation as their island really isn't that big...not even as big as the state of California. Image if they had to abandon even a third of the Island? Where would people go?

God bless
    "People do not drift toward holiness. Apart from grace-driven effort, people do not gravitate toward godliness, prayer, obedience to Scripture, faith, and delight in the Lord. We drift toward compromise and call it tolerance; We drift toward disobedience and call it freedom; We drift toward superstition and call it faith. We cherish the indiscipline of lost self-control and call it relaxation; we slouch toward prayerlessness and delude ourselves into thinking we have escaped legalism; we slide toward godlessness and convince ourselves we have been liberated?" - D A Carson

Blog Entries

Oh, and John H. has said that the city of Sendai is unreachable as far as communications and transportations are concerned. He has church members there that he cannot reach.

I have another acquaintance on yet another board who son and family are in Sendai and she cannot get ahold of him to talk to him. She is very, very frantic. Please pray for the people of Sendai.
    ".....it's your nickel"

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by moonglow View Post
    Very good...and what they said about Chernobyl on the news this morning in talking about that in relation to what is happening in Japan. Gave the exact same facts too only added if Russia hadn't been so busy trying to downplay this instead of getting those people out of there and getting them iodine tablets the later deaths/cancer might have been avoided. Instead they let those around that area stay there too long and they were breathing this stuff in and drinking in it their water and milk...getting it in their system.

I watched a documentary on Chernobyl last year and still that place is uninhabitable due to the radiation in the ground, the buildings, everything. Its had to remain abandoned. Not sure what Japan would do if things were contaminated by radiation as their island really isn't that big...not even as big as the state of California. Image if they had to abandon even a third of the Island? Where would people go?

God bless
    I can remember reading about the evacuations for miles around even long after Chernobyl happened. I read in a magazine that they could not even grow crops in a certain radius because of ground contaminations.
    ".....it's your nickel"

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by jayne View Post
    Oh, and John H. has said that the city of Sendai is unreachable as far as communications and transportations are concerned. He has church members there that he cannot reach.

I have another acquaintance on yet another board who son and family are in Sendai and she cannot get ahold of him to talk to him. She is very, very frantic. Please pray for the people of Sendai.
    Ok thanks for letting us know..I will be praying for them.

I can remember reading about the evacuations for miles around even long after Chernobyl happened. I read in a magazine that they could not even grow crops in a certain radius because of ground contaminations.
    Very true. I haven't read up on radiation contamination in a long time but I think it can stay around for a huge amount of time...hundreds if not thousands of years..just don't remember. But yes they can't grow anything because of the contamination..the land is unusable..

God bless

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by moonglow View Post
    Right now they are saying the radiation levels are dropping...but if something happened it would affect those in the six mile area of this plant. The long term damage would be cancer in the future. They are handing out iodine tablets to those in that area to stop any damaging effects of radiation and evacuating those around the plant too. Here is more about it on this news report:

Japanese official says pumping system caused nuclear plant blast

Its those in the immediate area affected by such things..even as bad as the one in Chernobal was, its not far reaching so we don't have anything to be worried about but we still need to be praying for this people.

God bless
    Just letting people know that CNN has updated that link in my post and changed the title as new information comes in. I would keep checking that link every now and then for updates on the situation with the nuclear reactors...this is the newer information added:

(CNN) -- People across Japan and the world watched nervously Saturday as crews at a nuclear plant struck by an earthquake, a tsunami and then an explosion in the span of 36 hours resorted to drowning a feverish nuclear reactor in sea water in hopes of preventing a meltdown with potentially catastrophic implications.

Although government officials painted a hopeful picture, saying crews had begun implementing a backup plan to flood the reactor containment structure with sea water, a nuclear expert said the situation is dire even if it is already under control.

"If this accident stops right now it will already be one of the three worst accidents we have ever had at a nuclear power plant in the history of nuclear power," said Joseph Cirincione, an expert on nuclear materials and president of the U.S.-based Ploughshares Fund, a firm involved in security and peace funding.

If the effort to cool the nuclear fuel inside the reactor fails completely -- a scenario experts who have spoken to CNN say is unlikely -- the resulting release of radiation could cause enormous damage to the plant or release radiation into the atmosphere or water. That could lead to widespread cancer and other health problems, experts say.

Tens of thousands of people live within the evacuation zone around the Daiichi plant, which authorities expanded to 20 kilometers (12.6 miles) from the earlier 10 kilometer radius following the explosion. More than 51,000 of those live within 10 kilometers, according to Japan's Nuclear and Industrial Safety Agency.

A total of more than 83,000 live within 10 kilometers of the two plants under evacuation orders, the agency said.

Keep praying they get this situation under control and get those people out of the danger area. I am going to repost this on the breaking news section of this board.

God bless

This is such a bad use of the term but the "meltdown" depends on which meltdown. It can be very confusing.

And yes, China Syndrome can be part of it.

If, the fuel rods meltdown and drop to the bottom of the reactor forming a huge "blob" of radioactive mess producing heat in far greater quantities than they would as individual fuel rods.

The blob meltdown would then start melting through the Stainless and carbon steel pressure vessel once all the coolant water is boiled off....if it is.

and

The blob continues melting down and penetrating the concrete containment vessel.....which it will in this scenario.

The blob continues producing more radioactive "stuff" but the blob itself just keeps going down, melting or vaporizing everything it comes in contact with.....producing huge amounts of radioactive waste blowing out in the water vapor. It just continues following gravity and melting everything in its path.

It just keeps going down......in theory. Course, we ain't tried it 'cept in theory yet.....I hope.

So, it would be kind of beneficial if they can keep that "stuff" cool now and not melting down enough to form this "blob" with all the coolant water evaporated. Kind of nice indeed.

Yea, I spent a few years in the Naval and Commercial Nuke industries....but long, long times ago. Lots changed since then.

So basically it will get into the earth, air and water and at that point theres just no telling what exactly can happen?

That's the theory. Of course, there are any multitude of opportunities to keep things cool enough for this not to happen before it does.

It will all seem like slow motion it the worst does come about... force that just won't be stopped if it indeed gets to that point. I know there are any number of theoretical things that could be done to stop the process but its not known if they can physically be done and if they will work as theory suggest if they can physically be made to happen.

It appears the "radioactive blob" in unit 2 has melted through the pressure vessel now and is presently in the concrete containment vessel.

Not good.

Can they disperse it here or does it stay in one whole radioactive blob (generating tremendous heat) and keep melting its way down?

In the slave pits of manmade Christianity, setting the captives free.

Shouldn't someone be waring the people in, perhaps, South Africa? Isn't this where the "blob" would eventually melt all the way through the planet?

I don’t want to be an alarmist, but some of this stuff is really unknown by scientist. Of course the reactor will not melt through the earth, but radiation leakage and its effect on a long term exposure to humans is not known. This radiation has been blowing out to sea and I often wonder how it will affect our food supply. People say that the key to radiation exposure is dilution, but our bodies react in different ways to radiation. I was exposed to high levels of radiation in my cancer treatments and it was unreal. The effects of it still to this day make me very weak and exhausted. Having that treatment opened my eyes to what radiation is all about. I got tickled when watching the news the other night when they were giving the symptoms of what happens to severe radiation exposure. It is life changing to say the least.

My concern now is how will the radiation expose effect the seas in the pacific? The fish swim through contaminated waters and we eat them on a regular basis. People think that just an iodine tablet will stop radiation from affecting you, but there are many different radio isotopes leaking out of this plant. Each one of them affects things differently.

I watched a clip on the Chernobyl accident back in the 90’s where a Russian did a documentary of the pregnant women surrounding the plant. These women were effective well beyond the so called radius of safe exposure from the plant. Their children were deformed in ways to sad to express. It was a serious documentary and I found out some years later than the Russian government censored it and took it down from its broadcasters. The one good thing about Chernobyl is that they had heroic people who gave their lives to stop the radiation from continuing its leakage.

I do not know how they are going to stop the leakage in Japan. From all reposts it is going to be a long drawn out experience. I am not against Nuclear power, but they need to make those facilities Bomb resistance. They need to put them 50 feet underground incased in solid steel and concrete. These are serious health concerns that could destroy our planet as we know it. I have often thought the new heaven and new earth that is talked about in the bible might be worded such that Christ has to come back and restore the earth so that we can live in it. All it would take is for some rouge nations to launch a few nukes at our nuclear plants and destroy them and they would leach radiation for a long while. If we look at Katrina, our government had a horrible time just cleaning up that…. I could not imagine trying to clean up 50 devastated nuclear reactors. Anyway, I think what we are witnessing in Japan is a major event, and does not need to be downplayed at all.

Thread Information