cure-real
Results 1 to 13 of 13

Thread: Evangelism challenges

  1. #1

    Evangelism challenges

    Singles grp @ new church is awesome! However there is one challenge/creative solution, and that is with the overwhelming female influence, there is a disinterest and a apathy towards tracts, contact evangelism, and street preaching. Most are only interested in relationship, and servant evangelism. While God can use all methods, there is a special emphasis on the former in the scriptures. While Philip spoke with a ethiopian on a chariot in one passage, in Acts 8 in did street preaching. Philip was a contact evangelist, and a street preacher!

    I have books on multiple methods of evangelism. However my favorites are ones written by people like Ray Comfort, John MacArthur, Mark Cahill, etc.. These tend to be on my strong side. But I can see that sometimes God greatly uses a relationship or a humble servant (foot washer) to bring people to Him. But God also uses street preachers, tracts, and contact evangelists to reach many.


    John

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    14,963
    Blog Entries
    8

    Re: Evangelism challenges

    The biggest thing in evangelism is to be led by the Holy Spirit. You can have the best plan in the world, but if you are not ready to abandon it at the prompting of the Spirit, it is useless.

    Jesus was a humble servant.

    What's up with the "female influence" comment!?!?!

    I have books on multiple methods of evangelism. However my favorites are ones written by people like Ray Comfort, John MacArthur, Mark Cahill, etc.. These tend to be on my strong side.
    For when I am weak, then I am strong. ~ Apostle Paul

    Have you considered that your new group, and your membership here is by divine design? It seems from what you say that at every turn you are being confronted with changing your tactics.

    Serious question that I would appreciate an answer to... What is it that makes street preaching and confrontational techniques your "strong side"???
    For what mortal has ever heard the voice of the living God speaking out of fire, as we have, and survived? ~ Deuteronomy 5:26

    If you're not prepared to risk your very life for your "enemy" you have no right to speak to him of love. ~ Daughter

    Many say they are called... but I am pretty convinced that with many of them it was the wrong number. ~ Project Peter

  3. #3

    Re: Evangelism challenges

    Quote Originally Posted by Firefighter View Post
    The biggest thing in evangelism is to be led by the Holy Spirit. You can have the best plan in the world, but if you are not ready to abandon it at the prompting of the Spirit, it is useless.

    Jesus was a humble servant.

    What's up with the "female influence" comment!?!?!



    For when I am weak, then I am strong. ~ Apostle Paul

    Have you considered that your new group, and your membership here is by divine design? It seems from what you say that at every turn you are being confronted with changing your tactics.

    Serious question that I would appreciate an answer to... What is it that makes street preaching and confrontational techniques your "strong side"???
    My personality, my giftedness, and my training at Bob Jones University.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    in the gap
    Posts
    8,498
    Blog Entries
    19

    Re: Evangelism challenges

    How about prayer and intercession and a full reliance on Jesus, without whom we can do nothing?

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    14,963
    Blog Entries
    8

    Re: Evangelism challenges

    Quote Originally Posted by evangelist6589 View Post
    My personality, my giftedness, and my training at Bob Jones University.
    While I certainly understand the other two, may I ask what gifts?
    For what mortal has ever heard the voice of the living God speaking out of fire, as we have, and survived? ~ Deuteronomy 5:26

    If you're not prepared to risk your very life for your "enemy" you have no right to speak to him of love. ~ Daughter

    Many say they are called... but I am pretty convinced that with many of them it was the wrong number. ~ Project Peter

  6. #6

    Re: Evangelism challenges

    Quote Originally Posted by Dani H View Post
    How about prayer and intercession and a full reliance on Jesus, without whom we can do nothing?
    Who ever said I did not rely upon the Lord everytime? Thats quite a assumption you are making.

  7. #7

    Re: Evangelism challenges

    Quote Originally Posted by Firefighter View Post
    While I certainly understand the other two, may I ask what gifts?
    You and me probably have different definitions of the gift of evangelism. We both will read the same passage and come to different conclusions and on what it means.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    In a place of praying hard and trusting God while battling on my knees!
    Posts
    21,033
    Blog Entries
    85

    Re: Evangelism challenges

    Quote Originally Posted by evangelist6589 View Post
    You and me probably have different definitions of the gift of evangelism. We both will read the same passage and come to different conclusions and on what it means.
    Different conclusions based on dividing scripture with scripture or dividing scripture with opinions, doctrine, and what we want scripture to mean?

    You know... the difference between what God wants His Word to mean and what "we" want scripture to mean?

    Gift of evangelism? Didn't you say you were "trained"? Isn't that the same as all those people out there being trained to speak prophecy and speak in tongues as if the Holy Spirit doesn't empower and they have to resort to being "trained" by man instead? In effect, completely bypassing the Spirit of God as such people are led by their "training" and not led by God?!
    Slug1--out

    ~Limitations in a Christianís life are due to limited prayer and limiting obedience~

    ~Forgiveness has nothing to do with forgetting that moment... it's all about freedom FROM that moment.~


    ~Your needs activate God's compassion and faith activates God's power~

    ~Three minutes is a lifetime, if you only have two, too live~


  9. #9
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    in the gap
    Posts
    8,498
    Blog Entries
    19

    Re: Evangelism challenges

    Quote Originally Posted by evangelist6589 View Post
    Who ever said I did not rely upon the Lord everytime? Thats quite a assumption you are making.
    Yes, maybe I'm assuming.

    However, if I may draw your attention to the fact, that for every Charles Finney out there visibly on the front lines of evangelism, there is a Praying Hyde somewhere on their knees, interceding and tilling the soil in prayer.

    So maybe you wish to stir your singles group for backup in prayer and intercession, especially taking advantage of the "overwhelming female influence," as many of us ladies LOVE to intercede and pray and lend our giftings in prayer to those out on the streets as they proclaim the Gospel of the Lord.

    Also, evangelists are a gift to the Church, not the world. Evangelists are specifically gifted to train and equip the Church to share the Good News with the lost.

  10. #10

    Re: Evangelism challenges

    Quote Originally Posted by Dani H View Post
    Yes, maybe I'm assuming.

    However, if I may draw your attention to the fact, that for every Charles Finney out there visibly on the front lines of evangelism, there is a Praying Hyde somewhere on their knees, interceding and tilling the soil in prayer.

    So maybe you wish to stir your singles group for backup in prayer and intercession, especially taking advantage of the "overwhelming female influence," as many of us ladies LOVE to intercede and pray and lend our giftings in prayer to those out on the streets as they proclaim the Gospel of the Lord.

    Also, evangelists are a gift to the Church, not the world. Evangelists are specifically gifted to train and equip the Church to share the Good News with the lost.
    This sounds like a good idea. Thanks..

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    In the slave pits of manmade Christianity, setting the captives free.
    Posts
    16,014

    Re: Evangelism challenges

    Just a thought to ponder...

    Mormons are also "trained" in evangelism techniques. So what's the difference between their training and yours?

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Columbus Ohio
    Posts
    4,505
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Evangelism challenges

    I have an enormous problem with the term "training". Following along behind, (picture train cars behind a locomotive) doesn't need much brain power.

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    14,963
    Blog Entries
    8

    Re: Evangelism challenges

    I have no problem with training at all, provided that the training focuses on following the leading of the Holy Spirit and does not neglect the supernatural aspect of evangelism. I am no rocket scientist, but I am pretty sure he gave us those two things for a reason.
    For what mortal has ever heard the voice of the living God speaking out of fire, as we have, and survived? ~ Deuteronomy 5:26

    If you're not prepared to risk your very life for your "enemy" you have no right to speak to him of love. ~ Daughter

    Many say they are called... but I am pretty convinced that with many of them it was the wrong number. ~ Project Peter

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Geiste challenges (Creationism)
    By geiste37 in forum Christians Answer
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: Oct 17th 2008, 10:52 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •