cure-real
Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Questions from the book of DEUTERONOMY

Blog Entries

Questions from the book of DEUTERONOMY

This is a Question and Answer study of the Book of DEUTERONOMY to help keep us in the Word. It is not an in depth study but more of a set of questions to motivate each of us to read.

We will be using the HCSB (Holman Christian Standard Bible) to get the questions from, so if the wording is different from what some of you may be reading, this is why.

Thank you all for following along!

Blog Entries

Re: Questions from the book of DEUTERONOMY

I'm going to start off by doing a little background on the dates of writing and some other information that I believe will help enhance this study.

I will be getting my information from the ESV Study Bible (Online Version)

Author and Title

The name “Deuteronomy” derives from the Greek for “second law,” an early mistranslation of “copy of this law” in 17:18. In fact, Deuteronomy emphasizes that its laws are not a new law but rather the preaching of the original law given to Israel at Sinai.
    Deuteronomy 31:9 records that Moses wrote down “this law,” most likely referring to chapters 1–30. Certainly the bulk of these chapters is the speech of Moses to Israel in the plains of Moab at the end of the 40-year wilderness period and immediately preceding the conquest under Joshua. Later OT and NT statements also assume Mosaic authorship (cf. Josh. 23:6; 1 Kings 2:3; Mal. 4:4; Matt. 19:7–8; Rom. 10:19).

The Setting of Deuteronomy

c. 1406/1220 b.c.
    The book of Deuteronomy recounts Moses' words to the Israelites as they waited on the plains of Moab to enter Canaan. Moses begins by reviewing the events of Israel's journey from Mount Sinai (or Mount Horeb) to the plains of Moab.

Blog Entries
    Deuteronomy 1 (Holman Christian Standard Bible)

1 - How many days did a journey from Horeb to Kadesh-barnea by way of Mount Seir take?

2 - God spoke to the people at Horeb and instructed them to travel where?

3 - What did Moses do when he felt he couldn't bear all the responsibility of the people on his own?

4 - What did the people tell Moses because they were afraid to go into the land?

5 - Why were the people discouraged and afraid to go into the land God gave them?

6 - What did the Lord swear on oath to the people in His anger?

1 - How many days did a journey from Horeb to Kadesh-barnea by way of Mount Seir take? 11 days

2 - God spoke to the people at Horeb and instructed them to travel where?
    go to the hill country of the Amorites and their neighbors in the Arabah, the hill country, the Judean foothills,g the Negevh and the sea coast —to the land of the Canaanites and to Lebanon as far as the Euphrates River.i

3 - What did Moses do when he felt he couldn't bear all the responsibility of the people on his own? appointed elders of the tribe to help him

4 - What did the people tell Moses because they were afraid to go into the land ‘Let’s send men ahead of us, so that they may explore the land for us and bring us back a report about the route we should go up and the cities we will come to.’

5 - Why were the people discouraged and afraid to go into the land God gave them? because they thought the people were mightier than they were, that the cities were bigger and they saw the Anakim were there.

6 - What did the Lord swear on oath to the people in His anger?
    none of the people would enter the promised land.

Blog Entries

Check #2 & #4 again. And thanks for participating.

Blog Entries

OK. Now we're talking Kelco. Great job. I'm going to wait for Cup, and then I'll post the next chapter. It's nice to have you here as well.

Quote Originally Posted by -SEEKING- View Post
    OK. Now we're talking Kelco. Great job. I'm going to wait for Cup, and then I'll post the next chapter. It's nice to have you here as well.
    Thanks Seeking. Enjoying this thread. Don't know if you have seen this but HCSB has an online study bible now that is really nice. It's as good as the ESV and NLT onlines. I'll post the link in case anyone is interested. http://beta.mystudybible.com/

Deuteronomy 1 (Holman Christian Standard Bible)

1 - How many days did a journey from Horeb to Kadesh-barnea by way of Mount Seir take? 11 days.

2 - God spoke to the people at Horeb and instructed them to travel where? to the hill country of the Amorites and their neighbors in the Arabah, the hill country, the lowlands, the Negev and the sea coast—to the land of the Canaanites and to Lebanon as far as the Euphrates River.

3 - What did Moses do when he felt he couldn't bear all the responsibility of the people on his own? He said to them "Appoint for yourselves wise, understanding, and respected men from each of your tribes, and I will make them your leaders."

4 - What did the people tell Moses because they were afraid to go into the land? They told Moses to send some men to go explore the land to bring them back a report about the route they should go up and the cities they would come to.

5 - Why were the people discouraged and afraid to go into the land God gave them? They thought God hated them and thought he was planning to get them destroyed. They thought this because where God was sending them had people that were larger and taller than they were, the cities were large, fortified to the heavens.

6 - What did the Lord swear on oath to the people in His anger? 'None of these men in this evil generation will see the good land I swore to give your fathers, except Caleb the son of Jephunneh. He will see it, and I will give him and his descendants the land on which he has set foot, because he followed the LORD completely.'

Blog Entries

Although your answers to #4 & #5 aren't completely wrong, I was looking for something a little more specific. Go over them once more if you can. Thanks.

fixed it up.

Blog Entries

That's it. Well done. It's kind of late so I will update tomorrow. Thanks for your participation

Blog Entries
    Deuteronomy 2 (Holman Christian Standard Bible)

1 - Which territory were they headed to once the Lord told them to head North?

2 - To whom did the Lord give the hill country of Seir?

3 - Why did the Lord instruct His people not to be hostile towards Moab?

4 - How much time did they spend traveling from Kadesh-barnea until they crossed the Zered Valley?

5 - Why did the Lord instruct His people not to be hostile towards the Ammonites?

6 - What was the name of the king who did not allow the Israelite's to pass through?

1 - Which territory were they headed to once the Lord told them to head North? The territory of Edom

2 - To whom did the Lord give the hill country of Seir? Esau

3 - Why did the Lord instruct His people not to be hostile towards Moab? Don’t fight with them, for I will not give you any of their land, not even an inch of it,because I have given Esau the hill country of Seir as his possession.

4 - How much time did they spend traveling from Kadesh-barnea until they crossed the Zered Valley? 38 years

5 - Why did the Lord instruct His people not to be hostile towards the Ammonites? because they were descendents of Lot

6 - What was the name of the king who did not allow the Israelite's to pass through? Sihon

Blog Entries

Well done Kelco..................

1 - Which territory were they headed to once the Lord told them to head North? the territory of there brothers, the descendants of Esau, who live in Seir.

2 - To whom did the Lord give the hill country of Seir? The Lord gave the hill country of Seir to Esau.

3 - Why did the Lord instruct His people not to be hostile towards Moab? He wasn't going to give them the land that Moab had.

4 - How much time did they spend traveling from Kadesh-barnea until they crossed the Zered Valley? 38 years.

5 - Why did the Lord instruct His people not to be hostile towards the Ammonites? He was not going to give the Ammonites' land as a possession.

6 - What was the name of the king who did not allow the Israelite's to pass through? Sihon the Amorite, king of Heshbon

Thread Information