cure-real
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tithing?

Tithing?

I came to Christ almost 2 years ago, I have never tithed but recently have been feeling very convicted. I grew up not having much money and so now I cling to it...I know God wants me to trust Him more.

I was wondering what my options are. Is tithing only for giving to my church? Can I tithe to organizations? Does anyone have suggestions of whom I can tithe to?

I'm feeling kind of lost here..

Re: Tithing?

There is no command in the NT that says Christians should or need to tithe. Tithing was a specific command for the nation of Israel and there were at least 3 separate tithes commanded by God apart from freewill offerings. the relevant passage for Christians is 2 Cor 9:6-8:

But this I say: He who sows sparingly will also reap sparingly, and he who sows bountifully will also reap bountifully. So let each one give as he purposes in his heart, not grudgingly or of necessity; for God loves a cheerful giver. And God is able to make all grace abound toward you, that you, always having all sufficiency in all things, may have an abundance for every good work.

In fact you will find the same commandment in the OT as well:

Exd 25:2 Speak to the children of Israel, that they bring Me an offering. From everyone who gives it willingly with his heart you shall take My offering.

Some find it helpful to use 10% as a guide but that's all it should ever be. In fact if God has blessed you financially, I think giving 10% to God is probably pretty easy for most people and perhaps shows a lack of faith in God.

The example of the Macedonians puts most Christians to shame. For many giving money is actually the easy part, however giving ourselves to the Lord is often where we fail.

Moreover, brethren, we make known to you the grace of God bestowed on the churches of Macedonia: that in a great trial of affliction the abundance of their joy and their deep poverty abounded in the riches of their liberality. For I bear witness that according to their ability, yes, and beyond their ability, they were freely willing, imploring us with much urgency that we would receive the gift and the fellowship of the ministering to the saints. And not only as we had hoped, but they first gave themselves to the Lord, and then to us by the will of God.

Cheers
    Leigh

Live-Orlando, Fl. Spirit.-near Christ. Mental-out to lunch
    Blog Entries

Giving money to the church (or to any other orginization actually doing the Lords work, note I said actually doing not just claiming to) is very important however, as Leigh points out, sometimes giving money is the easy part. In the United Methodist Church when we join we promise to support the church by "our time, our talent, our gifts, and our service." That promise can serve as a good guide to giving for anyone. If you don't mind I'll break it down a bit.

Time-we will support the work of God by spending time praying, studying the Word of God, serving others, worshiping God, attending church services, and any number of other things

Talent-we all have some talent that we can give to God. For some it's music, others may be preaching, others it may be fixing cars, or fixing anything else, teaching. The list is endless. Whatever you are good at you need to be using for God.

Gifts-money (though it could be gifts of land, or clothing, or anything else as well). Notice, it comes third. It's important but not all important.

Service-we need to be helping wherever we can, in Gods name. Remember Christ said "whatsoever you do for the least of these my breatherine you do even unto me (CWIV)"

I hope this helps (I know it may be a bit long but we are called "Methodists" for a reason.)

Give like this:

2 Cor 9:7 Every man according as he purposeth in his heart, so let him give; not grudgingly, or of necessity: for God loveth a cheerful giver

Shalom

See Chapter 5 & 7 of Hebrews. Because the Order of Melchisedec was dissolved the tithe is no longer required.

Tithes were originally established by Father to support the priest of His people, the physical maintenance of His house, and to support the widows, orphans, strangers and the infirm/disabled living or journeying in His people's midst.
    None of the law has passed away, Jesus only corrected the law with His words He did not abolishing any of it.
    Christ and the Father are the only ones with the authority to change or abolish the law, the church and man's doctrines have no such authority.
    Nothing has changed, Christ did not abolish the tithe.
    Tithe to those said needs and you will please our Creator.

There is also another option given us to support His Kingdom but is not tithing, it is called love gifts by our new-testament patriarchs, and involves giving to other churches in current observable need, and/or giving to the observable needs of your local community.... Giving material, currency and/or your time and energy.

Father bless, and have mercy on all of us.

Blog Entries

Okay guys, let's not turn this thread into a debate about tithing versus giving. The OP has already stated that God is dealing with her about giving/tithing money, so please be helpful in any advice you lend and in the way you contribute to discussion.

Thankee. Carry on.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Dani H View Post
    Okay guys, let's not turn this thread into a debate about tithing versus giving. The OP has already stated that God is dealing with her about giving/tithing money, so please be helpful in any advice you lend and in the way you contribute to discussion.

Thankee. Carry on.
    How does everyone avoid it? Some think tithing is a requirement. Some think it is legalism. Putting myself in either set of shoes, I can see how all are passionate that one should take their position.
    In essentials, unity; in non-essentials, liberty; in all things, charity. - unknown

Read your Bible and pray every single day. - Pastor Jon Courson

Quote Originally Posted by TrustGzus View Post
    How does everyone avoid it? Some think tithing is a requirement. Some think it is legalism. Putting myself in either set of shoes, I can see how all are passionate that one should take their position.
    I agree totally, Sorry Dani H...

Father bless, and have mercy on all of us.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by TrustGzus View Post

Sure, and that's understandable. But if we're going to grow together in Christ, then we have to be willing to put our personal passions second and unity first. Neither tithing nor giving is salvation making or breaking. So we can discuss one side without putting the other down as "false". We can even discuss both! All tithing is, is giving 10% anyway. So it's not like the two are mutually exclusive, and in the end, it's all 100% God's money and we're just stewards of it all (and what a priviledge that is!) and so should deal with our finances as God enables us and deals with us. Which is usually a learning process that we're all in the middle of, some place, somehow.

The OP has stated that God is dealing with her about holding too tightly to money, and I'm sure we've all got stories to tell about that. It's in that spirit that I'd like to see the responses given to her, pretty please. We can discuss here in GiC, just not debate. Which is what I'm trying to ward off here.

Quote Originally Posted by riotgrrrl582 View Post
    I came to Christ almost 2 years ago, I have never tithed but recently have been feeling very convicted. I grew up not having much money and so now I cling to it...I know God wants me to trust Him more.

I was wondering what my options are. Is tithing only for giving to my church? Can I tithe to organizations? Does anyone have suggestions of whom I can tithe to?

I'm feeling kind of lost here..
    You can spread your tithe around. Do the rescue mission one week, if your church is having trouble paying the bills then do that a week or more. Is there a family that is in need in your church? Give it to them. What about a neighbor that is struggling? That's an excellent way to witness. Tell them you heard how they were in need, that you are a Christian, and you wanted to give a personal monetary gift to help out a little and leave it at that, chances are they already know the gospel, they just need to see someone actually living it and following Christs' commands.

IMHO I like to tithe 10% to the church (I currently do not do this as my wife is unemployed...I may get a second job soon so I can anyway). After that, I give to charity. The church needs the money to spread the word. IMHO it is the most important place to give to. Give 10% there and after that give what you can to charity. The church isn't charity it is our home.

10% off the top. If you wait til the last second to tithe, you won't. Trust me.

Just remember this. Bills have to be paid, expenses have to be met and the pastor deserves at minimum a decent salary(no I am not a pastor/preacher). Other aspects of the ministry needs to be funded such as missions and Sunday School.

I was taught to pay a tithes AND offerings of my money to the church. But to be honest, I have not always adhered to that teaching. And sometimes, it hurts to pay my tithes & give an offering.

At least give something to your church, they need the money more than you realize.
    Does God 'need' us? No. BUT, God wants us.
    What is man, that Thou art mindful of him? and the son of man, that Thou visitest him? Psalm 8:4

Blog Entries

All things we have come from God. The air we breathe, the food we eat, the talents we use to earn a living. What money comes to us is God's. By tithing we are simply confirming His ownership of all things; He is gracious to give us 90% , the 10% is and always has been His.
    Jeremiah 15:16 Thy words were found, and I did eat them; and thy word was unto me the joy and
    rejoicing of mine heart: for I am called by thy name, O LORD God of hosts.

Thread Information