cure-real
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: From Passover to easter.

Re: From Passover to easter.

Quote Originally Posted by Br. Barnabas View Post
    Yes the Council of Nicea said that Easter should be done on Sunday. That has nothing to do with when Passover was to be celebrated and when Jesus said that Passover or Easter should be celebrated. Some Christians were in the habit as you quoted in the post at 1:42 that some people were keeping an Easter celebration on any day of the week at the end of the Passover. However, what we find in the NT and after Nicea is that Easter should be celebrated on a Sunday, because it is the day Christ rose from the dead and why we go to church on Sunday to celebrate the Resurrection. Yet again, this has nothing to do with what the Roman Catholic Church did because they were not the only ones at the Council of Nicea, in fact the Bishop of Rome was not present at the Council of Nicea he was too sick to make it, but sent representatives in his place. But also bishops from the East, North Africa, Asia Minor, Gaul, and other area with bishops were present at the Council and they call found that the Pascha feast should be celebrated on Sunday not just any day of the week. This is truly the one holy catholic and apostolic church at work, which is why it is called an ecumenical council because everyone was there and had a say. They prayed about this issue and searched the Scriptures and found it to be better to have it on Sunday than on whatever day of the week it feel on that year.

All your [] comments don't really add much to the arguement but I would say take away from the arguement because you show that you don't really understand what is going on. Such as where is their Christological authorization, they are the bishops of the church the disciples of the Apostles they have the authority from Christ and the Apostles to bind and loose, in accordance with Matthew 18:18.

And where did you get your sources?
    The majority of the catholic encyclopedia, but I am noticing anything said negatively against "the church" is denied leaving one not wanting to dialogue with a catholic.
    If Satan can keep us busy swinging our swords at one another, there is no hope of a united attack on the kingdom of darkness. KJV, NIV, ESV or ABCDEFG; there is no time to bicker over such things. We'll devour each other if allowed to continue. We should grab the marching orders written in the way we best understand and get to work.

Andrew_no_one

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by RabbiKnife View Post
    I don't care what people do for their religious jollies, unless they think that in some way that doing or keeping anything either (a) gets them brownie points with Jesus, (b) makes them feel more holy than their brothers and sisters that don't play the same game, or (c) is perceived by them to be a "work of grace."
    How do you know what they think?

In the slave pits of manmade Christianity, setting the captives free.

Quote Originally Posted by keck553 View Post
    How do you know what they think?
    I don't care what they think. Unless they express their thoughts to me or to others, I don't care. It is absolutely none of my concern, and I think Paul would share that opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by watchinginawe View Post
    In the following, reading in context, is Paul licensing the keeping of passover as a Christian rite? If so, how does he suggest us to keep it? Personally, in context, I don't believe he is suggesting for Christians to keep passover. ( This is actually a great passage to use as an example of how context is so very important in reading the Bible and more importantly in discerning doctrine.)

I Corinthians 5:7 Purge out therefore the old leaven, that ye may be a new lump, as ye are unleavened. For even Christ our passover is sacrificed for us:

8 Therefore let us keep the feast, not with old leaven, neither with the leaven of malice and wickedness; but with the unleavened bread of sincerity and truth.
    Just for the record. Lev. 23:5,6 In the fourteenth [day](The day Christ died) of the first month at even [is] the LORD'S passover. And on the fifteenth day of the same month [is] the feast (1 Cor. 5:8) of unleavened bread unto the LORD:

I think what is a good question is in verse 7, 1 Cor. 5 how is it that they are unleavened? Also why did the feast of unleavened bread last seven days, This I don't know?

I would keep passover, but sacrificing LambChops every year just gets the kids all upset, and the neighbors really don't like all that painting the lintels and doorposts with blood thing, and eating with my coat on and my walking stick in my hand,...

it's just too much.
    This is a true story. We had rabbit to eat one Easter.

Do you keep your mariage anniversary daily too? What about you birthday? Is every day a birthday for you? Do you keep Christmas every day? How about your son's prom? Do you keep Sunday every day?

The point I want to make is not about Passover itself, it's the lame "I keep everything everyday" doctrine. It is completely unscriptural and borderline rebellious.
    Amen brother amen.

I truly believe the Lord's Supper is the passover yet am undecided about when or how often but lean toward a yearly memorial as given by God but am not sure who knows when the 14th day of the first month is. Do all Jews keep the same day as the 14th?

Blog Entries

I don't care what they think. Unless they express their thoughts to me or to others, I don't care. It is absolutely none of my concern, and I think Paul would share that opinion.
    You seem to be more concerned with Paul then his Master.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by percho View Post
    I truly believe the Lord's Supper is the passover yet am undecided about when or how often but lean toward a yearly memorial as given by God but am not sure who knows when the 14th day of the first month is. Do all Jews keep the same day as the 14th?
    Since the Lord's Supper happend on Passover, I'd say you're correct. Of course we reformed Christians wouldn't want to keep a day Jesus kept, and said "do this in rememberance of me, would we????

Quote Originally Posted by Br. Barnabas View Post
    Such as where is their Christological authorization, they are the bishops of the church the disciples of the Apostles they have the authority from Christ and the Apostles to bind and loose, in accordance with Matthew 18:18.

And where did you get your sources?
    Christ is speaking of forgivness not authority to opress the masses.

Ranks right up there with Mat 16:18.

For the cause of Christ
    Roger

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by notuptome View Post

For the cause of Christ
    Roger
    I espcially like how the RCC added apocrapha to the Bible during Martin Luther's time to rebel against salvation by grace alone.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by notuptome View Post

For the cause of Christ
    Roger
    That is one opinion on the subject but not the only one.

In the slave pits of manmade Christianity, setting the captives free.

You seem to be more concerned with Paul then his Master.
    Do you think that Jesus and Paul contradict one another? Last I looked, the Epistle to the Romans carries just as much weight theologically as the red letter words in the Gospels.

Blog Entries

I espcially like how the RCC added apocrapha to the Bible during Martin Luther's time to rebel against salvation by grace alone.
    It was there before Martin Luther and it was not the RCC that added it, it was there when the Apostles were using the LXX, which is what Paul and all other NT writers quote from not the Hebrew.

Blog Entries

Do you think that Jesus and Paul contradict one another? Last I looked, the Epistle to the Romans carries just as much weight theologically as the red letter words in the Gospels.
    Aboslutely no contradiction at all, doctrinally, or in authority. Anytime a conflict in bubbles up the AW, in 100% of the cases the problem lies with the interpretor(s).

Thread Information