cure-real
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fear of witnessing

Blog Entries

Fear of witnessing

Although it shames me to say it, I have a terrible fear of witnessing. I had sufferred alot of rejection from parents and so called friends when I was young. People know that I am a christian, and I will discuss it if the subject comes up, but as far as talking to strangers or flat out telling people that Jesus is the only way to salvation, I get fearful that they too will reject me. I have had people stop talking to me and wanting to be around me (one person even told me 'no one wants to be around you because they are afraid they will offend you') because of my faith. I know the bible says we will be hated etc. but how do I get over this fear? I have prayed about it often but it's still there.
    My Blog at Wordpress-http://whengodsaysmove.wordpress.com/ the falcon and the pigeon

Re: Fear of witnessing

I just posted an article on my "new blog..." (it still has that new blog smell!) about this. There are some possibly helpful links at the bottom of the post. I'll write more later about this as well.

http://pilgrimpastor.christianblogsi...urch-is-a-verb
    The Pastor's Study
    “The easiest way to keep a broken vessel full is to keep the faucet constantly running.” – DL Moody

Lyndie,

Fear is one of the powerful weapons of the enemy. Do not fear. Trust God to place you where He needs you, and if the Spirit leads you to tell someone about your life with God, do it. Avoid arguments. Do not debate. Just tell. Trust God to give you the words. Pray. Pray with others. Remember - God says "DO NOT FEAR" some 365 times in the Bible. Ask Him to give you the boldness to witness. And do not worry that your witnessing may be insignificant - often those are most powerful, because God uses it to confirm what others have witnessed.

God bless!

Anton
    השייך לאלוהים דרך ישו

I am in full agreement with with Tonton posted above. In addition to that, it is important to trust God and get equipped for witnessing. I remember witnessing on the street at a college campus when I was a 17 year old new Christian, totally in love with Christ, and getting into a discussion with an atheist who happened to be a philosophy major. He chewed me up and spit me out! He was very kind about it and afterward encouraged me, telling me to take my passion and get training. He was right. Confidence for witnessing often comes on the heals of preparedness. Does your church offer an evangelism course? Perhaps your pastor would offer such a course if asked. Perhaps he would go out of his way to preach on the topic if he knew there was a need in the church, etc. Take some courses online. There are many good and free ones.

Trust God - Get Training. They go hand in hand.
    The Pastor's Study
    “The easiest way to keep a broken vessel full is to keep the faucet constantly running.” – DL Moody

Blog Entries

Thank you for your responses so far. I will look over the links you posted Pilgrim. My church doesn't offer an evangelism course as far as I know, but it is something I will definately bring up. What I do know is people do seem to mention the change they see in me (since I got saved) compared to what I used to be. I feel maybe I might be more on the side of 'being' a sermon than 'preaching' one. of course I tell that it wasn't me, but God, that did it.
    My Blog at Wordpress-http://whengodsaysmove.wordpress.com/ the falcon and the pigeon

Matt 5:16 "Let your light shine before men in such a way that they may see your good works, and glorify your Father who is in heaven.

John 14:11 Believe Me that I am in the Father, and the Father is in Me; but if not, believe Me because of the works themselves.

Witnessing is not just our words, but also (and more so) our works.
    Just like our Lord, not all will be persuaded by our words and Jesus said 'if you cannot believe my words, at least believe my works'

If we would simply keep our eyes fixed on Him (the true Light) then we would reflect His light in this darkened world. For if we are abiding in Him (looking to and drawing from Him) then we shall walk as He walked.

1John 2:6 He that saith he abideth in him ought himself also so to walk, even as he walked.

The natural state of the moon is darkness. The more the moon turns and faces the sun, the more light it receives, and the more light it reflects into the dark earth.

Being a living witness is what matters most, I think. And then if you pray for God to open doors of conversation about your conversion, He will. Blessings!
    The Pastor's Study

Being a living witness is important. When the topic comes up, you can share your experiences and why you are a christian. You can share in a way that is not rude, if people accept or reject what you have to say it is up to them. I have shared about Jesus in a way that is not considered 'preaching', but it is still sharing the gospel.

Blog Entries

They wouldn't be rejecting you. You're not their salvation!

We share the Gospel as God opens doors, and what people do with it, is up to them and between them and God. Some will receive it. Others will reject it. But they're not rejecting me. Because the Gospel isn't about me. At all.

So as God opens doors, you just share what He has done for you and how Jesus set you free and gave you a new life, and leave the rest up to God. It's His power that saves, not ours. We just share our testimony.

I've had a lot of success in breaking the ice by the simple statements, "I don't do that anymore," or "I have no need of that anymore," or "Before I was a Christian..." "Before I was saved..." etc.

This usually opens the door to a converstaion about the things of God and the Gospel, based on my personal testimony. There is the occasional scoffing, but I find, more often than not, you can do some in-depth communicating of the Gospel this way, and you are not being offensive or pushy.

It will often lead to serious discussion about the faith and the Bible, and a surprising number of instances where you are able to help someone come to Christ - right then and there.

Quote Originally Posted by Lyndie View Post
    Although it shames me to say it, I have a terrible fear of witnessing. I had sufferred alot of rejection from parents and so called friends when I was young. People know that I am a christian, and I will discuss it if the subject comes up, but as far as talking to strangers or flat out telling people that Jesus is the only way to salvation, I get fearful that they too will reject me. I have had people stop talking to me and wanting to be around me (one person even told me 'no one wants to be around you because they are afraid they will offend you') because of my faith. I know the bible says we will be hated etc. but how do I get over this fear? I have prayed about it often but it's still there.
    Get filled with the HS and you wont have to worry about it, you will be too busy witnessing.

Peace

Blog Entries

My dear sister,

Our fear is natural. It is normal for us to feel it. King David trembled with it to the point it consumed many of his poems. What David did with that fear was give it to God. Your witness is already taking place. You fear telling people about Jesus, but I tell you do not be ashamed! You have already told them when they tell you that they are afraid to offend you. If this is true then they have already recognized your faith! You have already told them about Jesus through your actions! The power of God will be hindered by no man... YOU gave your life to Christ and He has used it. There is no need to fear witnessing; for, you have already witnessed to multitudes. You have been such a strong voice of Christ that Satan is repelled. "No one wants to be around you because they are afraid the will offend you" are words planted by the Deceiver to cause doubt, but you are already stronger. The power of God has already triumphed in you. Do not fear what you are already doing. Just let the Lord our God continue to work in you. May the mercy of God the Father, the peace of our Lord Jesus Christ, and the fellowship of the Holy Spirit be with you and keep you.

Servant 89, you wrote "Get filled with the HS and you wont have to worry about it, you will be too busy witnessing."

Simple and "cliche" answers like that may seem insightful, but the original poster seems to have asked an honest question. There are plenty of believers who are filled with the Holy Spirit who don't witness and some who do but do it so poorly as to actually turn people away. This is an important discussion for Christians to take seriously. Too much is as stake not too.
    The Pastor's Study

Col 3:1 If ye then be risen with Christ, seek those things which are above, where Christ sitteth on the right hand of God.
    Col 3:2 Set your affection on things above, not on things on the earth.
    Col 3:3 For ye are dead, and your life is hid with Christ in God.

Gal 2:20 I am crucified with Christ: nevertheless I live; yet not I, but Christ liveth in me: and the life which I now live in the flesh I live by the faith of the Son of God, who loved me, and gave himself for me.
    Gal 2:21 I do not frustrate the grace of God: for if righteousness come by the law, then Christ is dead in vain.

Rom 6:2 God forbid. How shall we, that are dead to sin, live any longer therein?
    Rom 6:3 Know ye not, that so many of us as were baptized into Jesus Christ were baptized into his death?
    Rom 6:4 Therefore we are buried with him by baptism into death: that like as Christ was raised up from the dead by the glory of the Father, even so we also should walk in newness of life.
    Rom 6:5 For if we have been planted together in the likeness of his death, we shall be also in the likeness of his resurrection:
    Rom 6:6 Knowing this, that our old man is crucified with him, that the body of sin might be destroyed, that henceforth we should not serve sin.
    Rom 6:7 For he that is dead is freed from sin.
    Rom 6:8 Now if we be dead with Christ, we believe that we shall also live with him:
    Rom 6:9 Knowing that Christ being raised from the dead dieth no more; death hath no more dominion over him.
    Rom 6:10 For in that he died, he died unto sin once: but in that he liveth, he liveth unto God.
    Rom 6:11 Likewise reckon ye also yourselves to be dead indeed unto sin, but alive unto God through Jesus Christ our Lord.
    Rom 6:12 Let not sin therefore reign in your mortal body, that ye should obey it in the lusts thereof.
    Rom 6:13 Neither yield ye your members as instruments of unrighteousness unto sin: but yield yourselves unto God, as those that are alive from the dead, and your members as instruments of righteousness unto God.

2Co 5:14 For the love of Christ constraineth us; because we thus judge, that if one died for all, then were all dead:
    2Co 5:15 And that he died for all, that they which live should not henceforth live unto themselves, but unto him which died for them, and rose again.
    2Co 5:16 Wherefore henceforth know we no man after the flesh: yea, though we have known Christ after the flesh, yet now henceforth know we him no more.
    2Co 5:17 Therefore if any man be in Christ, he is a new creature: old things are passed away; behold, all things are become new.
    2Co 5:18 And all things are of God, who hath reconciled us to himself by Jesus Christ, and hath given to us the ministry of reconciliation;
    2Co 5:19 To wit, that God was in Christ, reconciling the world unto himself, not imputing their trespasses unto them; and hath committed unto us the word of reconciliation.
    2Co 5:20 Now then we are ambassadors for Christ, as though God did beseech you by us: we pray you in Christ's stead, be ye reconciled to God.
    2Co 5:21 For he hath made him to be sin for us, who knew no sin; that we might be made the righteousness of God in him.

Col 2:10 And ye are complete in him, which is the head of all principality and power:
    Col 2:11 In whom also ye are circumcised with the circumcision made without hands, in putting off the body of the sins of the flesh by the circumcision of Christ:
    Col 2:12 Buried with him in baptism, wherein also ye are risen with him through the faith of the operation of God, who hath raised him from the dead.

Blog Entries

The way I see it, if you AREN'T hated by A LOT of people, you're doing something wrong.

Of course, you can ALSO be hated by a lot of people BECAUSE you're doing something wrong.

It goes both ways.

There's simply no way you can make EVERYBODY happy.

Thread Information