cure-real
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Handguns You Like and Why

Hybrid View

Handguns You Like and Why

In another thread on home defense, there were posts by some that contained pictures of handguns and opinions by the poster as to why they liked the gun and thought it was such a good gun.

I have shot quite a few guns in my life, but never owned any. In February I purchased a S&W M&P 9mm and in March purchased a Browning Buck Mark .22. I am planning on making another purchase, probably late September so the wife can have her "own" gun.

Anyway, I'd very much like to hear from those with handguns what your favorites are, why you like and prefer them and pictures would be great too.

Also posts about handguns you do not like and why would also be great.

I am no expert on handguns, so I am not sure what I can offer to the thread, perhaps questions, but I'd love to hear from everyone, expert or otherwise.

I'd like to also ask those that are anti-gun or do not believe in self-defense and home defense using guns to please stay out of the thread. Thank you in advance.

Re: Handguns You Like and Why

There's nothing more manly than a good gun thread. I like revovlers,plain and simple. Having lived in the West,and probably watching too many John Wayne movies,I have a love for single action revolvers. I bought my first double action last year and it's a great gun,a Smith & Wesson model 15 .38 special.A great history also,it was used in the FBI,countlesses of police forces and in Viet Nam with the Air Force. I also have a Ruger Super Blackhawk .44 magnum. I wanted a Blackhawk in a .45 LC,but for the price I couldn't turn it down. I also plan on buying a small framed .357 for carrying and self defence. I plan on buying a .22LR/.22 combo for my birthday.I will then be complete.

Quote Originally Posted by KATMAN View Post
    There's nothing more manly than a good gun thread. I like revovlers,plain and simple. Having lived in the West,and probably watching too many John Wayne movies,I have a love for single action revolvers. I bought my first double action last year and it's a great gun,a Smith & Wesson model 15 .38 special.A great history also,it was used in the FBI,countlesses of police forces and in Viet Nam with the Air Force. I also have a Ruger Super Blackhawk .44 magnum. I wanted a Blackhawk in a .45 LC,but for the price I couldn't turn it down. I also plan on buying a small framed .357 for carrying and self defence. I plan on buying a .22LR/.22 combo for my birthday.I will then be complete.
    I am actually going to the range here shortly when they open and will shoot both of my guns.

I need to find a good book or two on handguns so I can learn more about them. I want to learn all the terms, etc. and well, you know.

The wife had been after me for sometime to get a gun for home defense, but while I have always loved shooting, and started our daughter at the age of nine (I was shooting almost every week with some guys I worked with when down in the Cinci area back in '05), I just wasn't comfortable with having a gun in the house. But I've come around and try to be very safe about it. Now I want to buy a gun every week!!

I'm fortunate that the little town I live in now has a gun range. Can't beat that!

Do you shoot your guns often? I got the .22 because the 9mm ammo is a bit on the expensive side, and I've already gone through, after this morning's shooting, about 1400 rounds since February, 26th when I bought the gun! I don't enjoy the .22 nearly as much as the 9mm, but it is definitely less expensive and should benefit me in improving my aim.

One of my friends i grew up with has several handguns and has taken me out on occasion to fire them all.

Glock: a very slick easy looking type handgun, not that heavy and the size isnt too bad, I personall couldnt handle the handgrip on it i thought it was too much (lil spike thingy's) while the gun was of nice size and weight i had a hard time using the sights given with the gun, but the load and reload of the gun was very smooth.

1911 (not sure the complete type of 1911, was silver with a wooden handle stock) : this gun is slick with a good weight, not too light and not too heavy in my own perspective, i really liked this gun, i thought the aim was easy o use, the gun loaded and reloaded easily and i personally had no problems with it at all, felt very comfortable in my hands and i could hit what i was aiming at.

44 Magnum revolver: Was at first actually intimidated by the size and wasnt 100 percent confident in myself when i first fired, the gun is barrel end heavy, but was very fitting in my hands, i was actually comfortable with it, the sights were very easy to use considering the guns size, the reload and loading once taught how to do it came easy and effeciently, i hit exactly what i was aiming at with this gun, it does have more kick than the others i used, would not recommend it as a starter, but if you do get the chance to fire one, i think you you enjoy it.

Personally not sure on ammo, the friend i am with makes his ammo for his guns

Quote Originally Posted by mattlad22 View Post
    One of my friends i grew up with has several handguns and has taken me out on occasion to fire them all.

Glock: a very slick easy looking type handgun, not that heavy and the size isnt too bad, I personall couldnt handle the handgrip on it i thought it was too much (lil spike thingy's) while the gun was of nice size and weight i had a hard time using the sights given with the gun, but the load and reload of the gun was very smooth.

1911 (not sure the complete type of 1911, was silver with a wooden handle stock) : this gun is slick with a good weight, not too light and not too heavy in my own perspective, i really liked this gun, i thought the aim was easy o use, the gun loaded and reloaded easily and i personally had no problems with it at all, felt very comfortable in my hands and i could hit what i was aiming at.

44 Magnum revolver: Was at first actually intimidated by the size and wasnt 100 percent confident in myself when i first fired, the gun is barrel end heavy, but was very fitting in my hands, i was actually comfortable with it, the sights were very easy to use considering the guns size, the reload and loading once taught how to do it came easy and effeciently, i hit exactly what i was aiming at with this gun, it does have more kick than the others i used, would not recommend it as a starter, but if you do get the chance to fire one, i think you you enjoy it.

Personally not sure on ammo, the friend i am with makes his ammo for his guns
    I've shot a .44 magnum years ago and it was a joy, but I'd never own one because I couldn't afford the ammo to shoot it as often as I'd like to. I had a friend down in the Cinci area (I am no longer in that area but shoot when I go back to visit, and anyway, he had a Glock .45. I liked the gun but have not found the Glock to be my preference.

I've recently had the privilege of shooting a Desert Eagle, only three rounds, but what a kick. I even once got to shoot a AK - half a magazine. I really enjoyed that.

I know someone that has a Sig Sauer 9mm that has never been shot, paid $930 for it and will sell it plus a couple extra clips for $700. I'm thinking seriously of getting it later this year if he hasn't sold it by then. I've handled the gun and like the feel of it.

I don't know. When I got into detailing, I learned everything I could about it and ended up spending over $2000 on detailing supplies in less than two years. I've already spent over $2000 on the two guns and ammo and miscellaneous stuff, but I love them. I think eventually I would like to have a .45 also to shoot on occasion.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by EarlyCall View Post
    Do you shoot your guns often? I got the .22 because the 9mm ammo is a bit on the expensive side, and I've already gone through, after this morning's shooting, about 1400 rounds since February, 26th when I bought the gun!
    An addict in the making.

(I have shot 1500 rounds (.45, 5.56, .357, .38) since Sunday. )
    For what mortal has ever heard the voice of the living God speaking out of fire, as we have, and survived? ~ Deuteronomy 5:26

If you're not prepared to risk your very life for your "enemy" you have no right to speak to him of love. ~ Daughter

Many say they are called... but I am pretty convinced that with many of them it was the wrong number. ~ Project Peter

Blog Entries

Here is my review of the HK USP 45.
    For what mortal has ever heard the voice of the living God speaking out of fire, as we have, and survived? ~ Deuteronomy 5:26

If you're not prepared to risk your very life for your "enemy" you have no right to speak to him of love. ~ Daughter

Many say they are called... but I am pretty convinced that with many of them it was the wrong number. ~ Project Peter

Quote Originally Posted by Firefighter View Post
    Here is my review of the HK USP 45.
    I just read your review and I really appreciate the link to it. Very good review and well done. It was an interesting and easy read. Thank you. I've heard some good things about HK. It's nice to hear more as this is one make I'm interested in.

It's also a good looking gun, which is one factor in my choice of a gun; not the only factor, but one of them.

The Home of the Airborne and Special Operations Forces

I'll also second USP as a good weapon. USP is a great pistol whereas CZ 75 p01 is the Greatest Pistol
    The minstrel boy to the war is gone,
    In the ranks of death ye will find him;
    His father's sword he hath girded on,
    And his wild harp slung behind him;
    "Land of Song!" said the warrior bard,
    "Tho' all the world betray thee,
    One sword, at least, thy rights shall guard,
    One faithful harp shall praise thee!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Clavicula_Nox View Post
    I'll also second USP as a good weapon. USP is a great pistol whereas CZ 75 p01 is the Greatest Pistol
    I agree. The CZ is a far better choice for a girl.

If I could only own 1 handgun it would be a CZ Sp-01.
    As much as I like to talk junk about manufacturer and model, it all boils down to what points right for you. Cz-75 and Smith 59 series are what points right for me. Considering the S&W is a semi clone of the CZ that really does not surprise me. I do not really like Glock because they do not point in my hand; I have to consciously aim them. Beretta is even worse on pointability. The best handgun for you is the handgun that fits your hand and stance.

Quote Originally Posted by Reynolds357 View Post
    The best handgun for you is the handgun that fits your hand and stance.
    I can agree with that.

I like (most) guns. While I was out shopping for my first handgun I was offered a good deal on a Taurus Millenium (Wikipedia) by one of the dealers. I didn't have a good feeling about the dealer and decided to keep on looking. Later I found out that friends don't let friends carry a Taurus Millenium. Apparently there are a number of issues with these and to put it bluntly: they suck! I hope there aren't any of you who have one...

The point I would like to make with this story is that if you are interested in a gun you should do a search and establish what reputation it has.

I settled on the ever popular Glock 19 (Wikipedia) and I also like the looks of the S&W M&P 9 mm (Wikipedia). I shot a friends' CZ 75 and another friends' SP-01 Shadow (Wikipedia) last Saturday, what a pleasure!

Quote Originally Posted by Son of the South View Post
    I can agree with that.

I like (most) guns. While I was out shopping for my first handgun I was offered a good deal on a Taurus Millenium (Wikipedia) by one of the dealers. I didn't have a good feeling about the dealer and decided to keep on looking. Later I found out that friends don't let friends carry a Taurus Millenium. Apparently there are a number of issues with these and to put it bluntly: they suck! I hope there aren't any of you who have one...

The point I would like to make with this story is that if you are interested in a gun you should do a search and establish what reputation it has.

I settled on the ever popular Glock 19 (Wikipedia) and I also like the looks of the S&W M&P 9 mm (Wikipedia). I shot a friends' CZ 75 and another friends' SP-01 Shadow (Wikipedia) last Saturday, what a pleasure!
    Interesting. I've heard from two different sources other than yourself concerning the Taurus, and both said to stay away from them. I'm convinced. In the other thread on home defense and now in this thread, I'm hearing come good reports on CZ guns. I definitely want to check them out. I mentioned this to someone and they said, I hope I get this right, that Springfield in CZ or the other way around, but there is a connection there. So they suggested I get the Springfield XD or XDM since it would cost less. Where does the difference come into play?

When I recently purchased my .22, I had heard good things about Sig Sauer, so I called the sporting goods store, asked if they had the Sig Sauer Mosquito. They did, so I asked them to hold it for me. I called the wife and had her do some research on it. I'm glad I did. I didn't get it.

I've a number of borrowed copies of a small magazine called Gun Tests I think it is. I'll go through those again too before I make my next purchase.

Quote Originally Posted by EarlyCall View Post
    Interesting. I've heard from two different sources other than yourself concerning the Taurus, and both said to stay away from them. I'm convinced. In the other thread on home defense and now in this thread, I'm hearing come good reports on CZ guns. I definitely want to check them out. I mentioned this to someone and they said, I hope I get this right, that Springfield in CZ or the other way around, but there is a connection there. So they suggested I get the Springfield XD or XDM since it would cost less. Where does the difference come into play?

When I recently purchased my .22, I had heard good things about Sig Sauer, so I called the sporting goods store, asked if they had the Sig Sauer Mosquito. They did, so I asked them to hold it for me. I called the wife and had her do some research on it. I'm glad I did. I didn't get it.

I've a number of borrowed copies of a small magazine called Gun Tests I think it is. I'll go through those again too before I make my next purchase.
    I would filter the information available in magazines. They usually reflect bias. My good friend writes for a major publication. The companies buy the writers off. A major rifle manufacturer just sent him on a 3 week all expenses paid safari in Africa so that he could test their new rifle and write about it. He told me the rifle is "half assed safari rifle." Guess what the article said. Pretty much it was the next best thing since sliced bread.

Quote Originally Posted by Reynolds357 View Post
    I would filter the information available in magazines. They usually reflect bias. My good friend writes for a major publication. The companies buy the writers off. A major rifle manufacturer just sent him on a 3 week all expenses paid safari in Africa so that he could test their new rifle and write about it. He told me the rifle is "half assed safari rifle." Guess what the article said. Pretty much it was the next best thing since sliced bread.
    Haha, thats troublesome.
    I hope that doesnt happen to me, but i think i should be ok, i tend to buy my guns that i use in relation to other guns i have used in the situations i use them in.
    My moose gun i will probably buy a simular gun to the one my dad has which is a browning custom X-bolt...may be an a-bolt..anyways ill be buying simular to that one lol.

My shotgun is a benelli supernova, and is awesome, i feel complete in hunting when im hunting with this shotgun, very comfortable with this benelli product.
    .22 rifles im really impressed with cz's.

In most cases what you pay for you get, in most cases, but sometimes thats not true and in a way your describing in which i qouted, i hope i dont someday pay for what i dont want lol.

Thread Information