cure-real

Thread: NKJV vs NASB

Help NKJV vs NASB

When I started church they gave me a NKJV bible and it was pretty tough for me to read. I talked to one of old church members and she suggested the NASB bible. I got one. Then I started to read it and it has helped me out in understanding things. According to the foldouts I read at the hospital. They say the NASB chops up the orginal word of God and its a good idea to stick to the NKJV. What's your all take on it?

Thanks,

John
    Romans 12:2-4 (GNT) says, "Do not conform yourselves to the standards of this world, but let God transform you inwardly by a complete change of your mind. Then you will be able to know the will of God.

Blog Entries

Re: NKJV vs NASB

I'd ask what they mean by "chop up." The NASB is a great Bible. So is the NKJV. I used to read the NKJV almost exclusively. These days I largely read the TNIV or ESV, but when I'm doing some real digging, I use the NASB along with them. The main thing is to read your Bible -- every day if possible.

What's the name of the foldout and who wrote it?

Grace & peace to you, John.

Joe
    In essentials, unity; in non-essentials, liberty; in all things, charity. - unknown

Read your Bible and pray every single day. - Pastor Jon Courson

I love the NASB. Maybe what you read is that it's a little big choppy for reading, In the sense that it doesn't flow as smooth as say the NIV. It's partly due to the fact that it's a word-for-word translation.

Quote Originally Posted by johntom2000 View Post
    When I started church they gave me a NKJV bible and it was pretty tough for me to read. I talked to one of old church members and she suggested the NASB bible. I got one. Then I started to read it and it has helped me out in understanding things. According to the foldouts I read at the hospital. They say the NASB chops up the orginal word of God and its a good idea to stick to the NKJV. What's your all take on it?

Thanks,

John
    NASB is actually more true to manuscript than NKJV. They are both good translations. use whichever you like or better yet, use both.

Live-Orlando, Fl. Spirit.-near Christ. Mental-out to lunch
    Blog Entries

The NASB is a good translation. I went to seminary and took some classes under one of the men that helped put it together. He wouldn't have anything to do with something that "choped up" the Word of God.

Quote Originally Posted by TrustGzus View Post
    I'd ask what they mean by "chop up." The NASB is a great Bible. So is the NKJV. I used to read the NKJV almost exclusively. These days I largely read the TNIV or ESV, but when I'm doing some real digging, I use the NASB along with them. The main thing is to read your Bible -- every day if possible.

What's the name of the foldout and who wrote it?

Grace & peace to you, John.

Joe
    It was the little handouts that different church's give out in the waiting areas of the hospital's. While I was waiting I read a couple of them. I came across one that was talking about different versions of the bible. The handout talked about how (what I can remember) the NIV and NASB took out alot of what Jesus teachings and replaced with different meanings then what the orginal KJV and NKJV had. Also basically said If you read another then the KJV or NKJV you was going to hell. That freaked me out. This is why after work, I rushed home to ask then question. Thanks everyone for being so helpful. God bless everyone.
    Romans 12:2-4 (GNT) says, "Do not conform yourselves to the standards of this world, but let God transform you inwardly by a complete change of your mind. Then you will be able to know the will of God.

Im a fan of nkjv, mainly because I havent read anything else, but it's whatever you feel most comfterable with.
    Every temptation is of the devil, and every sin leads to death.

Just remember, the NKJV along with every other English Bible out there is a TRANSLATION of the early Greek manuscripts that we have. Even then, there are TWO main bodies of early Greek manuscripts, the Byzantine and the Alexanderian manuscripts which differ in some places.

Remember, we do NOT have the original manuscripts that were written by the Apostles. We have only copies of copies of copies...Perhaps someday we may find the originals but until then, there is the science of 'Textual criticism.

If you are interested, check out a couple of books on the subject: 'How We got the Bible' by Neil Lightfoot and 'Searching for the Original Bible' by Randall Price. These are two easily readable books that give you a lot of info on the 'evolution' of the Bible.
    Does God 'need' us? No. BUT, God wants us.
    What is man, that Thou art mindful of him? and the son of man, that Thou visitest him? Psalm 8:4

Quote Originally Posted by johntom2000 View Post
    It was the little handouts that different church's give out in the waiting areas of the hospital's. While I was waiting I read a couple of them. I came across one that was talking about different versions of the bible. The handout talked about how (what I can remember) the NIV and NASB took out alot of what Jesus teachings and replaced with different meanings then what the orginal KJV and NKJV had. Also basically said If you read another then the KJV or NKJV you was going to hell. That freaked me out. This is why after work, I rushed home to ask then question. Thanks everyone for being so helpful. God bless everyone.
    I've had experience facing this issue in a similar way as yourself. The tracts I came across were from Chick (Chick Tracts from Chick Publications). While I do believe that organization are brothers and sisters in Christ, and they do offer many tracts that serve the Kingdom of God well, I disagree with the stance they take concerning King James Only. When you take the KJV only stance you delve into idolatry because although they would deny this, they treat the translation as a god in an of itself (I'm only talking about those who condemn other Christians for reading other translations). Take comfort in reading the NKJV or NASB. The important thing to remember is that Jesus is the Word of God in the flesh. The bible leads us to this truth.

Quote Originally Posted by cryinglion View Post
    I've had experience facing this issue in a similar way as yourself. The tracts I came across were from Chick (Chick Tracts from Chick Publications). While I do believe that organization are brothers and sisters in Christ, and they do offer many tracts that serve the Kingdom of God well, I disagree with the stance they take concerning King James Only. When you take the KJV only stance you delve into idolatry because although they would deny this, they treat the translation as a god in an of itself (I'm only talking about those who condemn other Christians for reading other translations). Take comfort in reading the NKJV or NASB. The important thing to remember is that Jesus is the Word of God in the flesh. The bible leads us to this truth.

Very well said lion. And welcome to the forum.

Thank you. I'm happy to be here. God bless you!

Thread Information