cure-real
Results 1 to 10 of 10

Thread: Growing closer to God

  1. #1

    Growing closer to God

    I have been saved for almost four years now. Honestly I have never had a deep desire to read the Bible. But lately I have a burning desire to draw closer to God like never before. I desire to know what His will is for my life and I desire to read the Bible to see what treaures is hidden in there. I have realized that I have pretty much been at a standstill in my spiritual walk for a LONG time, not moving forward, but also not what I would call backslidding. I would consider myself to be lukewarm in many situations, and I know the Bible states that God will spit you out if you are lukewarm. I am ready to grow and move forward in my spiritual walk.

    There have been times in my past where try to move forward and draw closer to God, but then I get overwhelmed and confused. I will begin reading the Bible and I understand something, but then I have 10 more questions from what I read. It's overwhelming and confusing. I know or believe this is a spiritual battle because the enemy doesn't want me to move forward in my spiritual walk. In the past I would eventually grow weary from the spiritual battle and don't try to press forward to grow closer to God. I don't want to do that this time. I can't do it. I have to press forward to become the person God wants me to be. But the question is how do I press forward when I get overwhelmed and confused from this spiritual battle?

    Two changes that I have noticed over the past few weeks are that I am more aware and sensitive to sin and the way I view certain things in general. I have also felt convicted in certain things that I know I shouldn't be doing, whereas before it wouldn't bother me.


    I used the word I a lot in this post. I know it's not about me, but about Him. But I also know that I have to focus on my own spiritual walk in order to become the person God wants me to be for Him to use me the way He wants.

  2. #2

    Re: Growing closer to God

    I also have realized that I have had a lot more temptations when I try growing closer to God. I guess that is also coming from the enemy trying to cause me to stumble. I need to learn how to overcome that.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    JACKSONVILLE,FL
    Posts
    526

    Re: Growing closer to God

    Quote Originally Posted by *Living~By~Faith* View Post
    I have been saved for almost four years now. Honestly I have never had a deep desire to read the Bible. But lately I have a burning desire to draw closer to God like never before. I desire to know what His will is for my life and I desire to read the Bible to see what treaures is hidden in there. I have realized that I have pretty much been at a standstill in my spiritual walk for a LONG time, not moving forward, but also not what I would call backslidding. I would consider myself to be lukewarm in many situations, and I know the Bible states that God will spit you out if you are lukewarm. I am ready to grow and move forward in my spiritual walk.

    There have been times in my past where try to move forward and draw closer to God, but then I get overwhelmed and confused. I will begin reading the Bible and I understand something, but then I have 10 more questions from what I read. It's overwhelming and confusing. I know or believe this is a spiritual battle because the enemy doesn't want me to move forward in my spiritual walk. In the past I would eventually grow weary from the spiritual battle and don't try to press forward to grow closer to God. I don't want to do that this time. I can't do it. I have to press forward to become the person God wants me to be. But the question is how do I press forward when I get overwhelmed and confused from this spiritual battle?

    Two changes that I have noticed over the past few weeks are that I am more aware and sensitive to sin and the way I view certain things in general. I have also felt convicted in certain things that I know I shouldn't be doing, whereas before it wouldn't bother me.


    I used the word I a lot in this post. I know it's not about me, but about Him. But I also know that I have to focus on my own spiritual walk in order to become the person God wants me to be for Him to use me the way He wants.
    Well as far as questions being raised from parts of the bible you read..you can always come here..and ask to make it less confusing..Or seek answers from God.

    And something i found very helpful when getting closer to God..is when you get weary and overwhelmed...SPONTANEOUS WORSHIP... It strengthens you and gets you closer to God.
    and isn't he worth it anyway?

    Those changes are the holy spirit...making sin more out there i guess.and not so much "normal" you're already growing!

    I like Psalms 13. as an influence to keep going.

    Goodluck..i'll be praying for you
    I'm a walking paradox, No I'm not.


    "Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."- Albert Einstein

    "rest assured, that with a heart that's pure, we'll be victorious and not let our hate get the best of us" - Stick to Your Guns


  4. #4
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Maryland
    Posts
    5,031
    Blog Entries
    3

    Re: Growing closer to God

    Hi LBF!
    What is it that confuses and overwhelms you? Is it that you start reading your bible and it doesn't really make any sense to you so you just think you will never understand and so you put it down in frustration?
    "knowledge makes arrogant but love edifies"

  5. #5

    Re: Growing closer to God

    Quote Originally Posted by awestruckchild View Post
    Hi LBF!
    What is it that confuses and overwhelms you? Is it that you start reading your bible and it doesn't really make any sense to you so you just think you will never understand and so you put it down in frustration?
    That has a lot to do with it. I just feel that I will never get it or understand it. I also struggle with thoughts of not believing some things. That's difficult because I do believe the gospel and the Bible, but I guess I struggle to fully grasp it.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Maryland
    Posts
    5,031
    Blog Entries
    3

    Re: Growing closer to God

    Quote Originally Posted by *Living~By~Faith* View Post
    That has a lot to do with it. I just feel that I will never get it or understand it. I also struggle with thoughts of not believing some things. That's difficult because I do believe the gospel and the Bible, but I guess I struggle to fully grasp it.
    I was the same exact way and had that same exact problem.
    And there was a man in one of the gospels who said: I DO believe, Lord! Help my unbelief! He was saying the same thing you just said! The important thing is that he asked for help.
    I didn't understand ANYTHING to start! It even looked to me like one verse would say one thing and another would say the exact opposite! And I'm not exactly the sharpest knife in the drawer to begin with so if you will believe me, he has let me understand SO much and He will teach you what the words mean too if you just keep reading and asking and WAITING. Sometimes, I would get frustrated and want to understand immediately instead of waiting patiently for His answer then I'd come in here and look for the answer and even though there are a lot of Spirit-led people in here, sometimes I would just get MORE confused!
    "knowledge makes arrogant but love edifies"

  7. #7

    Re: Growing closer to God

    I can totally relate to you when you mentioned that through growing closer to God you have become more sensitive to sin and convicted about things that you would have never been convicted about before. At times, that can be over whelming for me. I feel like I'm alone alot because of the convictions I get because sometimes it seems like others are totally comfortable doing something that I just feel is wrong, for me. But God uses His spirit to give us discernment and I trust in Him. Don't grow weary, continue doing good. Press on through the battle and already know that Jesus has won.
    Why are you searching for love? Why are you still looking as if I'm not enough?

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    in the gap
    Posts
    8,498
    Blog Entries
    19

    Re: Growing closer to God

    I'd encourage you to start in the New Testament. With one of the Gospels, so you get a better picture of Jesus, then go from there into the epistles and wherever else God leads you.

    Or pick a Bible reading plan and just follow it because some folk feel very intimidated by the Bible being so expansive, but once you actually read through it a time or two, you get a better idea of what's what.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Tennessee, usa
    Posts
    1,487

    Re: Growing closer to God

    If you have questions or something, or just need some help concerning the bible you should join the group "bible study" we I just got done with Matthew and about to start mark, but I'm waiting to see where the other member is concerning Matthew.
    Every temptation is of the devil, and every sin leads to death.

  10. #10

    Re: Growing closer to God

    Quote Originally Posted by *Living~By~Faith* View Post
    That has a lot to do with it. I just feel that I will never get it or understand it. I also struggle with thoughts of not believing some things. That's difficult because I do believe the gospel and the Bible, but I guess I struggle to fully grasp it.
    If questions bother you, you can ask here and I'll be happy to help answer them. I prayed that you would come closer to God and that he would come closer to you. Knowing God has everything to do with the heart. So make sure your innermost heart is in the right place.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. How can I help my boyfriend come closer to God?
    By Beth in forum Growing in Christ
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: Feb 17th 2011, 11:18 PM
  2. Need Advice: How can I get closer to God?
    By eascusa in forum Growing in Christ
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: Aug 12th 2009, 02:56 PM
  3. How to get closer
    By dbrace in forum Growing in Christ
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: Jan 29th 2009, 10:57 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •