cure-real

Thread: How are we suppose to pray?

How are we suppose to pray?

I guess why I'm asking this is I tend to talk to God when I'm sad, angry, frustrated etc. As I would a friend. Just like you would call your BFF and rant about what so n so did. I tell God how hurt and angry I am, I ask for him to calm me guide me and forgive me. But sometimes I just tell him how can so n so be so mean wrong etc.

Am I offending God? Does this show disrespect? When I pray daily I will come in with thanksgiving, praise and humble myself as I pray for my salvation and the others in my life. But I am straightforward when I'm angry.

I have been studying prayers in the bible and what is most important in prayer learning and come across some things that made me thnk I may be offending God.

I was taught growing up that you should talk to jesus as a friend.

John 15:14-15*(New International Version)
    14 You are my friends if you do what I command. 15 I no longer call you servants, because a servant does not know his master’s business. Instead, I have called you friends, for everything that I learned from my Father I have made known to you.

If you guys could share how you pray, scriptures on prayer, or any thoughts on the best way to have your prayers heard and answered.

Thank You

Re: How are we suppose to pray?

Well in Matthew Jesus' disciples asked the same question and Jesus replied...
    (nkjv)

Our father in heaven
    Hallowed by the name
    Your kingdom come
    Your will be done
    On earth as it is in heaven
    Give us this day our daily bread
    And forgive us of our debts (sins)
    As we forgive our debtors (people who sin against us)
    Do not lead us into temptation
    But deliver us from the evil one
    Yours us the kingdom the power and glory forever
    Amen.

I just tell him how can so n so be so mean wrong etc.
    Idk what your saying here

But dont just pray when you have problems, pray all the time. Also whatever you pray and you believe God will grant you it he will. In other words when you pray believe he will give you it, if you have no faith in Him there is no need to pray in the first place. As long as your not praying for serpents, also in other words, God knows what's best for us, if we pray for something that might harm our relationship with Him he won't give us it.

But in all tell Him your deepest thoughts and feelings, keep it pure, or keep it with much joy that you pray to Him, thank Him, don't make praying a chore that you dread, for example when you pray to Him, make sure it's with your heart.

Hope this helps
    Every temptation is of the devil, and every sin leads to death.

If you read it all I talk about praying daily, I pray all day about everything, how to handle everything.

My question is is it disrespectful/offensive to God if we approach him in our anger, hurt, saddness, as we would a friend? I do that. I pray about all things but when I'm angry I tend to pray as if I'm talking to a friend I say "God, why is ___ so mean and hurtful, I can't believe they said ___ about me, I'm not that way" this is just an example of how I may pray when I'm angry/hurt.

Another example would be "God, I can't take it, I'm so tired of this mess, everydsy I have to deal with being talked down to, I can't handle it this person is so rude and hateful, please help me deal with this, please help me find a way to make them understand my side"
    is that wrong?

Whether or not you are disrespectful/offensive; I think depends on your heart. If you are using God as a dumping ground so to speak, that is disrespectful. If you are going to God with your problems knowing that He is your source of help then you are not. Jesus said come to me, [U]all[U] you who are weary and heavy laden and I will give you rest.

Also, take time to be sensitive to the Holy Spirit for He will lead you, guide you, and teach you all things.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by MrsBerry View Post
    If you read it all I talk about praying daily, I pray all day about everything, how to handle everything.

My question is is it disrespectful/offensive to God if we approach him in our anger, hurt, saddness, as we would a friend? I do that. I pray about all things but when I'm angry I tend to pray as if I'm talking to a friend I say "God, why is ___ so mean and hurtful, I can't believe they said ___ about me, I'm not that way" this is just an example of how I may pray when I'm angry/hurt.

Another example would be "God, I can't take it, I'm so tired of this mess, everydsy I have to deal with being talked down to, I can't handle it this person is so rude and hateful, please help me deal with this, please help me find a way to make them understand my side"
    is that wrong?
    Hello againMrs.
    I do not believe God wants you to keep ANYTHING from Him - hurt, anger, joy, whatever.
    When we pray, which means talk to God, we do not do it for His benefit. He doesn't need our prayers.
    It is for our own benefit. We lay everything before Him because we know we need His help.
    It might help to look at it this way: You are wondering if you might be being disrespectful by laying open everything in your heart to Him to examine. But He already SEES all of it, the good, bad and ugly. It is the ugly (the anger, etc.) that you need help with. How can hiding it for fear of offending Him help you? Besides which, you are NOT hiding it because He already sees it. So if you are fearing being disrespectful, if your anger, etc., has offended Him, wouldn't it ALREADY offended Him since He saw it BEFORE you brought it up to Him and laid it out before Him?

It is when we lay our ugly hearts open to Him that He CAN help us and renew our mind.
    The more and more He does this renewing, the more and more we really DO see just how bad the situation inside of us IS.
    Disrespect would actually be FAILING to lay the ugliness in us before Him as if He doesn't ALREADY see it.

I don't know if this will help you or not but I'm going to throw it in here. I personally, do not pray pray ANYTHING like I've heard others pray. I do NOT say: and Father, I pray that you would this, and Lord, Father I pray that you would that. I am not cutting on those who do, just saying I have never prayed like that. I just talk normally to Him. I say....Lord you know this is how I am feeling. I know you don't allow me this anger in my heart but I cannot seem to stop it. It is consuming me and I need help because it is obvious that I am murdering since you said anger in my heart at another is murder. Help me Lord. She makes me so mad!
    I don't pray very long prayers very often at all but I do talk to Him all through the day as I'm going about. Rarely do I even close my eyes.
    Not saying: THIS is how you should pray. Just sharing how I do. I was very confused for a long time as to why I didn't pray like I heard others pray.

T
    Last edited by awestruckchild; May 25th 2011 at 03:33 PM. Reason: add a thought
    "knowledge makes arrogant but love edifies"

Blog Entries

is that wrong?
    No, it is not wrong. There is no wrong way to talk to Him. He will show you where your thoughts are wrong. You just keep laying out exactly what you are thinking and feeling.

Thank you all for your reaponses.

Awestruck, thank you for your example of prayer as well, I tend to be like that some through the day, as situations occur, people come to mind to pray for etc. At night though I will lay or bow and pray for all that happened during the day. Giving thanks, worship and praise. I try not to Lord do this and that but it's hard lol. I try to always pray for his will, pray for all salvation and guidance. I pray for others faith, that they may grow stronger in the Lord having more and more trust and that they will always search for His leading.

My prayers are never long either.

I also struggle with how come some people struggle and wrestle with God ovwr things they pray over and over for something for hours. I've never been able to do that. I always present my need before him thank him for all and leave it as that. I trust in him to answer as is.

what do you think of that? Why is it like that? ...hope that question made sense

Whatever is in your heart
    If Satan can keep us busy swinging our swords at one another, there is no hope of a united attack on the kingdom of darkness. KJV, NIV, ESV or ABCDEFG; there is no time to bicker over such things. We'll devour each other if allowed to continue. We should grab the marching orders written in the way we best understand and get to work.

Andrew_no_one

Blog Entries

Thank you all for your reaponses.

Awestruck, thank you for your example of prayer as well, I tend to be like that some through the day, as situations occur, people come to mind to pray for etc. At night though I will lay or bow and pray for all that happened during the day. Giving thanks, worship and praise. I try not to Lord do this and that but it's hard lol. I try to always pray for his will, pray for all salvation and guidance. I pray for others faith, that they may grow stronger in the Lord having more and more trust and that they will always search for His leading.

My prayers are never long either.

I also struggle with how come some people struggle and wrestle with God ovwr things they pray over and over for something for hours. I've never been able to do that. I always present my need before him thank him for all and leave it as that. I trust in him to answer as is.

what do you think of that? Why is it like that? ...hope that question made sense
    I think I understand what your question is...
    I don't really know. I guess I tend to think they struggle for hours and hours and seem to have such great....agonies because maybe they don't truly understand and believe that He hears?

I have found that the times when I was newer to God that I tried to force myself to pray longer, thinking it was how I SHOULD pray, I just began to leave off talking to Him for help and began to tell Him HOW He should fix the problem. So I sure didn't want to do THAT, so I just told Him all about it and kind of said....will you fix this?

I began to get some pretty amazing answers that were not at ALL what I thought they would be. Like one time I was asking Him to please help so and so see that they really were being unfair and had hurt my feelings and He seemed to say....No. Your hurt feelings are PRIDE. You think they didn't give you the honor due you, YOU forgive THEM and don't worry about how I will deal with them.

Blog Entries

The attitude of David in Psalm 51 is a fine place to start.

Keck553, I love Psalm 51. Def. Have prayed like that on many occasions.

Perhaps that's it, Awestruckchild. I have done that pride prayer before as well, really humbling! Lol. I know there are times God prob wants to grab us and shake us and say "will you get that through your head already"
    There are no great people of God; there are only weak people with a great God.

Blog Entries

I have to read Psalm 51 in private because I would make a public display of myself every single time.

Quote Originally Posted by keck553 View Post
    I have to read Psalm 51 in private because I would make a public display of myself every single time.

Yes, I understand that. I have done the same, as this one speaks to me deeply, david and I cry out for the same reasons.
    There are no great people of God; there are only weak people with a great God.

Blog Entries

Yes, I understand that. I have done the same, as this one speaks to me deeply, david and I cry out for the same reasons.
    Then I would dare say your prayers are a pleasing incense to the LORD. Doesn't matter what words you use or how eloquent you choose to structure them.

Thread Information