cure-real

Thread: Why is that GREAT CITY, Mystery Babylon, called the Mother of harlots?

Why is that GREAT CITY, Mystery Babylon, called the Mother of harlots?

Why is that Great City, Mystery, Babylon the Great, called the Mother of harlots?
    What did she give birth to?

Rev 17:5 And upon her forehead was a name written, MYSTERY, BABYLON THE GREAT, THE MOTHER OF HARLOTS AND ABOMINATIONS OF THE EARTH.

Rev 17:18 And the woman which thou sawest is that great city, which reigneth over the kings of the earth.

Blog Entries

Re: Why is that GREAT CITY, Mystery Babylon, called the Mother of harlots?

Ga 4:26 But Jerusalem which is above is free, which is the mother of us all.

End of thread......

The beautiful farm in the center of heaven!
    Blog Entries

Hm, never thought of it that way Ross. I've always viewed as the city that the false religions have all come out of...Babylon...but hm, you have a good point.
    Don't seek too much knowledge. You just may be putting more weight on your shoulders than you're able to bare. Let God be the one to decide how quickly you grow.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Saved7 View Post
    Hm, never thought of it that way Ross. I've always viewed as the city that the false religions have all come out of...Babylon...but hm, you have a good point.
    First it has to be established that Jerusalem is Babylon which all are not in agreement though it be the case. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by ross3421 View Post
    Ga 4:26 But Jerusalem which is above is free, which is the mother of us all.

End of thread......
    Heavenly Jerusalem is not in question here..

Rev.17:5,18 refers to a great city upon the earth.

Also, I never mentioned Jerusalem, but now that you have, IMHO, an earthly Jerusalem does seem to be the most likely city to fulfill these scriptures..

Hello,

If you want, you can join us in a similar thread at
    http://bibleforums.org/showthread.ph...ION-CHAPTER-18.

But if you want a reply in this thread, I can do that, too.

I've noticed that in these discussions about Babylon, only Revelation 17 and 18 are focused on. I've seen other chapters of the Bible used in discussions like these elsewhere. Here are the chapters that I've seen used:

Habakkuk chapters 1 and 2.
    Isaiah chapters 13, 21, 47 and 48.
    Jeremiah 50 and 51.
    Revelation 17 and 18.

As I've said on another thread, I like Isaiah 47 & 48 and Jeremiah 50 & 51. In this conversation, I believe Jeremiah 50:1-5 might be of use.

I believe Rev. 17 is about the city of Tyre -that in prophecy is linked up with the land of Babylon on the Euphrates River for the end times.

mother of harlots name?
    because

She is a city that was punished by God long ago, but still refused to be ashamed.
    The OT shows that Lebanon will be ashamed in the end days.
    Why is the city of Tyre the mother of harlots- or other cities as her offspring?
    Because she made a league with Solomon and as the OT shows, she forgot the covenant. So - all of the 7 kings and ten horns also forget the covenant as to the holy site is God's place.
    Nebuchadnezzar the first king to ignore it - Antiochus of Epiphanes as the second, Antiochus Eupator as the third and so on - till the days of Hadrian as number 7.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by seeker_truth View Post
    Why is that Great City, Mystery, Babylon the Great, called the Mother of harlots?

Rev 17:5 And upon her forehead was a name written, MYSTERY, BABYLON THE GREAT, THE MOTHER OF HARLOTS AND ABOMINATIONS OF THE EARTH.

Rev 17:18 And the woman which thou sawest is that great city, which reigneth over the kings of the earth.
    Hi seeker_truth

It all started with Nimrod and his building of Babel(Babylon).He attempted to build a tower that would "reach unto heaven" Do a google search on Semiramis and Tammuz.After Nimrod's death a whole religion sprang up about him. His "rebirth" was celebrated on Dec 25th by the way. Get the picture?
    This false religion is the root of them all.

Blessings

and Popcorn

"You can make the scriptures say whatever you want if you torture them long enough"

This is referring to the Vatican City and the Catholic Institution. The catholic church is similar to ancient Babylon is every way.

Blog Entries

Because there has never been a "'harlot" like this one:
    Rev. 17
    1Then one of the seven angels who had the seven bowls came and spoke with me, saying, “Come here, I will show you the judgment of the great harlot who sits on many waters,
    2with whom the kings of the earth committed acts of immorality, and those who dwell on the earth were made drunk with the wine of her immorality.”
    3And he carried me away in the Spirit into a wilderness; and I saw a woman sitting on a scarlet beast, full of blasphemous names, having seven heads and ten horns.
    4The woman was clothed in purple and scarlet, and adorned with gold and precious stones and pearls, having in her hand a gold cup full of abominations and of the unclean things of her immorality,
    5and on her forehead a name was written, a mystery, “BABYLON THE GREAT, THE MOTHER OF HARLOTS AND OF THE ABOMINATIONS OF THE EARTH.”
    6And I saw the woman drunk with the blood of the saints, and with the blood of the witnesses of Jesus. When I saw her, I wondered greatly.
    7And the angel said to me, “Why do you wonder? I will tell you the mystery of the woman and of the beast that carries her, which has the seven heads and the ten horns.
    Yep.

This 'harlot" was drunk with the blood of the saints and with the blood of the witnesses of Jesus--including these in this passage:

Acts 26
    9“So then, I thought to myself that I had to do many things hostile to the name of Jesus of Nazareth.
    10“And this is just what I did in Jerusalem; not only did I lock up many of the saints in prisons, having received authority from the chief priests, but also when they were being put to death I cast my vote against them.
    11“And as I punished them often in all the synagogues, I tried to force them to blaspheme; and being furiously enraged at them, I kept pursuing them even to foreign cities.
    Grace and peace,

Billy-brown 2

I Peter 1:25 But the word of the Lord endureth for ever. And this is the word which by the gospel is preached unto you.

Why is that Great City, Mystery, Babylon the Great, called the Mother of harlots?[FONT=Georgia][SIZE=3]
    It could be that she makes harlots out of countries. Governments willing to compromise their autonomy for a portion of her trade and wealth, so in fact governments are prostituting themselves to Babylon:

3For all nations have drunk of the wine of the wrath of her fornication, and the kings of the earth have committed fornication with her, and the merchants of the earth are waxed rich through the abundance of her delicacies.

Thread Information