cure-real

Thread: What did Jesus mean in John 14:3?

What did Jesus mean in John 14:3?

In John 14:3 Jesus to his disciples "And if I go and prepare a place for you, I will come again and will take you to myself, that where I am you may be also." So I have researched this a bit and some think Jesus is talking about returning through the holy spirit at pentecost, and some think he is talking about him returning to his disciples after he was resurrected when he appeared to all of them and some think he was referring to him returning for the church at the rapture. Most people think he is referring to the rapture in this verse, but if he is, then why does he tell the disciples that he will come back since the rapture obviously didn't happen in there lifetime? We know Jesus was sinless, so what did he mean when he told his disciples he will come back and take them to be with him? It sounds like an unfulfilled promise, but we know that Jesus wouldnt do that.... so what did he mean in this verse?

Blog Entries

Re: What did Jesus mean in John 14:3?

Well I believe his disciples are with him in heaven right now. (Philippians 1:21-23) Remember Jesus didn't know himself when he would return. (Mark 13:32) Maybe Jesus takes every Christian when they die to heaven. And maybe some like Enoch and Elijah go without dying. So I believe he is talking about the rapture or the second coming. Or maybe when a Christian's life here is over.

Quote Originally Posted by Heeves23 View Post
    In John 14:3 Jesus to his disciples "And if I go and prepare a place for you, I will come again and will take you to myself, that where I am you may be also." So I have researched this a bit and some think Jesus is talking about returning through the holy spirit at pentecost, and some think he is talking about him returning to his disciples after he was resurrected when he appeared to all of them and some think he was referring to him returning for the church at the rapture. Most people think he is referring to the rapture in this verse, but if he is, then why does he tell the disciples that he will come back since the rapture obviously didn't happen in there lifetime? We know Jesus was sinless, so what did he mean when he told his disciples he will come back and take them to be with him? It sounds like an unfulfilled promise, but we know that Jesus wouldnt do that.... so what did he mean in this verse?
    You will probably hear 5-10 different futurist interpretations for these verses. So if you want to stay futurist, you can never be sure if your interpretations of these verses are correct, you just have to pick one and go with it.

As a preterist, it means just what it says. Jesus came again within their lifetime. No need to change the meaning.

Matt 16:27 For the Son of Man is going to come with his angels in the glory of his Father, and then he will repay each person according to what he has done. 28 Truly, I say to you, there are some standing here who will not taste death until they see the Son of Man coming in his kingdom.
    According to this verse, Jesus came with His angels in the glory of His Father and repayed each person according to what he has done before some standing there tasted death.

Matt 10:23 When they persecute you in one town, flee to the next, for truly, I say to you, you will not have gone through all the towns of Israel before the Son of Man comes.
    According to this verse, He came before the apostles had gone through all the towns of Israel.

Jesus predicted a first century return, the apostles taught a first century return, therefore Jesus returned in the first century.
    For some reason, futurists reject that this happened in the first century and come up with all kinds of fanciful interpretations for these verses.

Blog Entries

Just because it might not have been fulfilled yet, we need not worry that it will be, regardless of the correct understanding, it will be fulfilled according to the purpose of God. Then we will all look back and OOOOOOhhhhhhhhh, thats what He meant we He said that. A lot do apply it to the rapture, and while I am pre trib, I am not sure about this verse really.
    The rapture relation, and this is just a guess as I have not actually studied it in regards to this verse so much, but according to Jewish tradition, after an agreement was reached regarding a bride, the price was paid, and the groom would go back to his fathers house and prepare a place for himself and his bride to be. Then the groom would return for the bride and take her to his fathers house, where they were then married.
    If this is the case, there is strong support for the rapture in that the price has been paid for the bride, and now the groom is at His Fathers house preparing a place for her and will return for her at some point.

But at any rate, regardless of the correct understanding, we can rest confident that the promise will be kept.

Quote Originally Posted by RockSolid View Post
    You will probably hear 5-10 different futurist interpretations for these verses. So if you want to stay futurist, you can never be sure if your interpretations of these verses are correct, you just have to pick one and go with it.

As a preterist, it means just what it says. Jesus came again within their lifetime. No need to change the meaning.

Matt 16:27 For the Son of Man is going to come with his angels in the glory of his Father, and then he will repay each person according to what he has done. 28 Truly, I say to you, there are some standing here who will not taste death until they see the Son of Man coming in his kingdom.
    According to this verse, Jesus came with His angels in the glory of His Father and repayed each person according to what he has done before some standing there tasted death.

Matt 10:23 When they persecute you in one town, flee to the next, for truly, I say to you, you will not have gone through all the towns of Israel before the Son of Man comes.
    According to this verse, He came before the apostles had gone through all the towns of Israel.

Jesus predicted a first century return, the apostles taught a first century return, therefore Jesus returned in the first century.
    For some reason, futurists reject that this happened in the first century and come up with all kinds of fanciful interpretations for these verses.
    So now we have no Heaven to look forward to? I'm a partial preterist, but I think the verse refers to death or the Second Coming (future).
    [Whacks me on head with hat when I misbehave]

"What then? ſhal we ſinne, becauſe we are not vnder the Law, but vnder grace? God forbid."

Romaines vi.15 - 1560 Geneva Bible

Here's a excerpt from a thread of mine in this I gave some reasons and verses in support of Jesus indicating his death and comng unto his desciples again. That thread can be founded here.

Well, lets examine that passage from Acts 1:11 of which stated 'shall so come in like manner'.

11 who also said, “Men of Galilee, why do you stand gazing up into heaven? This same Jesus, who was taken up from you into heaven, will so come in like manner as you saw Him go into heaven.”

Strong's G5158 - tropos τρόπος (like manner) Strong's G3739 - hos ὅς (as)

Now one can takes this literally or figuratively, and one example would be that it is as figurative can be found in the use that Jesus referred to himself as a hen that would gather her chickens under her wings.

Matthew 23:37 “O Jerusalem, Jerusalem, the one who kills the prophets and stones those who are sent to her! How often I wanted to gather your children together, as a hen gathers her chicks under her wings, but you were not willing!

But more than this Jesus spoke of leaving to allow the Holy Spirit to come. It is in this 'manner' that I believe the ones speaking to the Disciples were using.

John 16:7 “Nevertheless I tell you the truth; It is expedient for you that I go away: for if I go not away, the Comforter will not come unto you; but if I depart, I will send him unto you.”

John 16:16, 18-20 “A little while, and you will not see Me; and again a little while, and you will see Me, because I go to My Father.

18 I will not leave you orphans; I will come to you.

19 “A little while longer and the world will see Me no more, but you will see Me. Because I live, you will live also. 20 At that day you will know that I am in My Father, and you in Me, and I in you

Looking closely at the above verses it becomes clear that Jesus is speaking of going away and coming back in the same context as sending the Holy Spirit. He says He is going away so that He can send the Holy Spirit, then He says He is coming back to them and that He and the Father will make their home with them. So from that context it appears that the particular “coming” that Jesus is talking about to the Disciples is the “coming” of the Holy Spirit.

And if one wanted to view the manner in which Jesus was taken that of a cloud it could also be said of the coming of the Holy Spirit coming as a mighty wind.

Acts 2:2 And suddenly there came a sound from heaven, as of a rushing mighty wind, and it filled the whole house where they were sitting
    So his abode [home/place/room] is with the heart of man. That God may dwell with man. As indicated by John 14:3 that 'we' shall come and make our home/place/room with him. Abode or Dwelling place of the heart of man. Strong's G3438 - monē Yet the only way to redeem us back to God was for the Messiah [anointed one] to come and take on our sins. Therefore Jesus said no one comes to the Father but by him. In the given of the Holy Spirit 'we' shall abode with man.So the place/room that Jesus was to go and prepare was through his going to the cross and preparing our hearts so that 'we' can come and abode with man with the given of the Holy Spirit.

John 14:23Jesus answered and said unto him, If a man love me, he will keep my words: and my Father will love him, and we will come unto him, and make our abode with him

Blog Entries

Think Jewish custom

Parable of the wise/un-wise virgins and their lamp-oil.... the Bridegroom (Jesus) goes to prepare a place for his (His) Bride (Those who belong to Him). The Father will decide when the place is ready, and then the Groom will come and fetch the Bride..... as is described in 1 Thess 4 and Rev1.....

Here are two excellent sites to read about that...
    . This one is written by a Monk, but I think he understands and This one on Jewish Marriage Customs

Enjoy the read
    The LORD is my Miracle

G_d was gracious He has shown favor

Hope is a seed
    God plants in our hearts
    to remind us
    there are better things ahead.
    -Holley Gerth

God has purposed that a limited number of faithful followers of Christ, totaling only 144,000, will be resurrected to heavenly life as spirit sons of God. (Revelation 14:1,*3) These form a heavenly government with Christ for the blessing of mankind on earth.
    The first ones to learn about this were Jesus’ faithful apostles, to whom he said: “In the house of my Father there are many abodes. Otherwise, I would have told you, because I am going my way to prepare a place for you. Also, if I go my way and prepare a place for you, I am coming again and will receive you home to myself, that where I am you also may be.” (John 14:2,*3) Those apostles and other early Christians died and had to wait unconscious in death until Jesus’ coming to reward them with a heavenly resurrection. That is why we read that the first Christian martyr, Stephen, “fell asleep in death.”—Acts 7:60; 1*Thessalonians 4:13

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by jhardy35862 View Post
    God has purposed that a limited number of faithful followers of Christ, totaling only 144,000, will be resurrected to heavenly life as spirit sons of God. (Revelation 14:1,*3) These form a heavenly government with Christ for the blessing of mankind on earth.
    The first ones to learn about this were Jesus’ faithful apostles, to whom he said: “In the house of my Father there are many abodes. Otherwise, I would have told you, because I am going my way to prepare a place for you. Also, if I go my way and prepare a place for you, I am coming again and will receive you home to myself, that where I am you also may be.” (John 14:2,*3) Those apostles and other early Christians died and had to wait unconscious in death until Jesus’ coming to reward them with a heavenly resurrection. That is why we read that the first Christian martyr, Stephen, “fell asleep in death.”—Acts 7:60; 1*Thessalonians 4:13
    Sleep is sort of a poetical way of saying death. And maybe more so for Christians. When people are sleeping they're also resting. I believe this sleep only refers to their bodies. Because Paul said he would go to be with Jesus upon his death. (Philippians 1:23)

Let's assume that the 144, 000 is an actual number and not just meant to mean "a lot." Those that are written in the book of life will be with Christ on earth:

Revelation 20

The Thousand Years
    1 And I saw an angel coming down out of heaven, having the key to the Abyss and holding in his hand a great chain. 2 He seized the dragon, that ancient serpent, who is the devil, or Satan, and bound him for a thousand years. 3 He threw him into the Abyss, and locked and sealed it over him, to keep him from deceiving the nations anymore until the thousand years were ended. After that, he must be set free for a short time.
    4 I saw thrones on which were seated those who had been given authority to judge. And I saw the souls of those who had been beheaded because of their testimony about Jesus and because of the word of God. They[a] had not worshiped the beast or its image and had not received its mark on their foreheads or their hands. They came to life and reigned with Christ a thousand years. 5 (The rest of the dead did not come to life until the thousand years were ended.) This is the first resurrection. 6 Blessed and holy are those who share in the first resurrection. The second death has no power over them, but they will be priests of God and of Christ and will reign with him for a thousand years.

The Judgment of Satan
    7 When the thousand years are over, Satan will be released from his prison 8 and will go out to deceive the nations in the four corners of the earth—Gog and Magog—and to gather them for battle. In number they are like the sand on the seashore. 9 They marched across the breadth of the earth and surrounded the camp of God’s people, the city he loves. But fire came down from heaven and devoured them. 10 And the devil, who deceived them, was thrown into the lake of burning sulfur, where the beast and the false prophet had been thrown. They will be tormented day and night for ever and ever.
    The Judgment of the Dead
    11 Then I saw a great white throne and him who was seated on it. The earth and the heavens fled from his presence, and there was no place for them. 12 And I saw the dead, great and small, standing before the throne, and books were opened. Another book was opened, which is the book of life. The dead were judged according to what they had done as recorded in the books. 13 The sea gave up the dead that were in it, and death and Hades gave up the dead that were in them, and each person was judged according to what they had done. 14 Then death and Hades were thrown into the lake of fire. The lake of fire is the second death. 15 Anyone whose name was not found written in the book of life was thrown into the lake of fire.

God has purposed that a limited number of faithful followers of Christ, totaling only 144,000, will be resurrected ...
    144,000 is not a literal number but a number of completion, rooted in the twelve tribes of Israel. [12 times 12 is 144 for the math challenged, times 1000] Anyone who has no grasp of the symbolic use of numbers in Revelation will not get very far in understanding it.

This verse has nothing to do with any endtime rapture doctrine.

This verse is simply comforting believers in telling them that Jesus is about to leave the Earth and return to Heaven; but that He will not be leaving His believers alone; in the harsh world, without hope and whithout help.

Paul later told us that to be absent from the body, is to be present with the Lord.

Stephen told us that just as he was about to die from being stoned, he saw Jesus in heaven, calling his spirit home.

We know Jesus will never leave or forsake us....not even in death.

That is the hope of John 14....Jesus is going away, but we will never be alone; He is preparing a home in heaven for us that is unbelievable. As Paul longed to die and depart and be with Christ, when we die likewise, we will return to Jesus like Stephen did, and be with Him forevermore!

...some think Jesus is talking about returning through the holy spirit at pentecost, and some think he is talking about him returning to his disciples after he was resurrected when he appeared to all of them and some think he was referring to him returning for the church at the rapture. Most people think he is referring to the rapture in this verse, but if he is, then why does he tell the disciples that he will come back since the rapture obviously didn't happen in there lifetime?
    According to Genesis 1:1, the Holy Spirit was already present from the beginning.
    Even though He was here, the Holy Spirit did not function as our comforter until
    after the resurrection.

When the rapture takes place, the dead in Christ will rise first to meet Him in
    the air (I Thess 4:16-17). When Jesus returns to earth, He is coming back for
    both dead and living believers.

Quote Originally Posted by Gilligan View Post
    So now we have no Heaven to look forward to? I'm a partial preterist, but I think the verse refers to death or the Second Coming (future).
    Hey, Gilligan, I was beginning to think there weren't any partial preterists out there. But even so, you guys must be as rare as a hen's tooth.

Question: Good PP sites are also very difficult to find. Can you recommend any?

Many moons ago, I started out as a Dispen but shortly after I was saved I came to see that there were far too many problems with the system. So, then I subscribed to Amillennialism. But this system, too, has problems, most especially with Matthew 24 and the parallel passages in Mark and Luke, as well. I can definitely see two comings in Matthew 24, which would certainly reconcile the incongruities that exist with the 8 signs Jesus gave to the apostles pertaining to the destruction of Jerusalem and the temple -- very specific things they were to look for on the one hand, yet from v.36ff, he tells them that no man would know the day or hour of his return and that mankind would be spiritually complacent as they were in the days of Noah. This has long stymied me and has left me scratching my head because I'm thinking: How in the world would the believing Jews be complacent when they hear about or see the armies of Rome marching on the city and they witness the very specific signs Jesus gave unfolding before their eyes?

And of course, I have long wondered about the fanciful interpretations that both Dispens and Amils have given for the phrase "this generation" in Matthew 24. All of a sudden, we can't take this phrase at face value and understand it as we normally would in numerous other passages in the gospel accounts. But I digress. I just wanted to tell you why I'm seeking recommendations. I'm very interested in studying the PP system out in detail.

Thanks in advance,
    Rufus

Thread Information