cure-real
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Make disciples of all the nations

Blog Entries

Exclamation Make disciples of all the nations

Matthew 28:16-20

The Great Commission

16 Then the eleven disciples went away into Galilee, to the mountain which Jesus had appointed for them. 17 When they saw Him, they worshiped Him; but some doubted.
    18 And Jesus came and spoke to them, saying, “All authority has been given to Me in heaven and on earth. 19 Go therefore and make disciples of all the nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, 20 teaching them to observe all things that I have commanded you; and lo, I am with you always, even to the end of the age.” Amen.
    What does this mean?

I know, that is why we pass out gospel tracts... right?

What did the Lord say?... what is this thing
    make disciples of all the nations?

I submit that it means a LOT more then the "Churchanity" definition would suggest. Let's start by looking at the passage. There are three things that leap out;

First, "ALL AUTHORITY"... when we 'make disciples' we do so never in our own authority.. but in Christ's. The word 'therefore' shows cause and effect. I have it, therefore you do this.

Second, we are to 'make disciples' This is NOT limited to those who we see as the lost... see a brother content to just go to church on Sunday.. Make disciples... see a sister struggling with guilt and shame? Make disciples...

Whoever we encounter, we are to point to Christ
    . Always. (How we do that is up to the LEADING of the Spirit)... and I won't insult you to say that we do this in ways consistent with the Word.

Third, we see baptism
    . The 'outward sign of an inward change' is part of this commission... we can not just give 'em a tract.. not that WE do the work.. but our DESIRE is to be for more.

Next, we are to (here is where folks throw rocks)... "
    teaching them to observe all things that I have commanded you". People have a BIG problem with this idea. If you are a follower of Christ, you are to be doing this...

... I believe it makes people uncomfortable... we do our best to back peddle from this.

We ought not to...

What do you see in this? Are we (You, me, I, US,) doing this as we should?
    * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * ** * * * * ** * * * ** * *** * * * * ***** * * * * ** * * * * ** ** * *
    ~ * You get 10 'reps' to bless others with each day... don't log off until you have used them up......
    ....Live your life the same way.... ~ *

Please pray for the 'Persecuted Church'.

Bible Forums Vision: "To be a community of believers who are actively engaged in pursuing the truth of God as revealed in His Son Jesus Christ by way of studying the Scriptures diligently in order to discover this truth."

Re: Make disciples of all the nations

Quote Originally Posted by Amos_with_goats View Post

The Great Commission

16 Then the eleven disciples went away into Galilee, to the mountain which Jesus had appointed for them. 17 When they saw Him, they worshiped Him; but some doubted.
    18 And Jesus came and spoke to them, saying, “All authority has been given to Me in heaven and on earth. 19 Go therefore and make disciples of all the nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, 20 teaching them to observe all things that I have commanded you; and lo, I am with you always, even to the end of the age.” Amen.
    What does this mean?

I submit that it means a LOT more then the "Churchanity" definition would suggest. Let's start by looking at the passage. There are three things that leap out;

First, "ALL AUTHORITY"... when we 'make disciples' we do so never in our own authority.. but in Christ's. The word 'therefore' shows cause and effect. I have it, therefore you do this.

Second, we are to 'make disciples' This is NOT limited to those who we see as the lost... see a brother content to just go to church on Sunday.. Make disciples... see a sister struggling with guilt and shame? Make disciples...

. Always. (How we do that is up to the LEADING of the Spirit)... and I won't insult you to say that we do this in ways consistent with the Word.

Third, we see baptism
    . The 'outward sign of an inward change' is part of this commission... we can not just give 'em a tract.. not that WE do the work.. but our DESIRE is to be for more.

teaching them to observe all things that I have commanded you". People have a BIG problem with this idea. If you are a follower of Christ, you are to be doing this...

... I believe it makes people uncomfortable... we do our best to back peddle from this.

We ought not to...

Since it is the body who is called to make disciples, then yes i would say it is being done, each member of the body is a different part making up the body and each has its functions according to the grace of God through the Holy Spirit.

We have brethren who excel through grace in these particular areas mentioned as well as all other functions, to each his own through Christ.
    Is it slowly being diminished? i would say yes, the world has become a very law run function in all ares of the world and its harder and harder for the functions of the body to partake in thier paticular grace given functions.

Blog Entries

Thumbs up Re: Make disciples of all the nations

Quote Originally Posted by mattlad22 View Post
    Since it is the body who is called to make disciples, then yes i would say it is being done, each member of the body is a different part making up the body and each has its functions according to the grace of God through the Holy Spirit.

We have brethren who excel through grace in these particular areas mentioned as well as all other functions, to each his own through Christ.

Is it slowly being diminished? i would say yes, the world has become a very law run function in all ares of the world and its harder and harder for the functions of the body to partake in thier paticular grace given functions.
    Yea!

Please see the other thread I just started on 'Spiritual gifts'... yours is an excellent point. Your word's I placed in bold are SIGNIFICANT.

The deceiver teaches some that this is "not their job"... speaking lies to them that they lack the 'gift' required... that is speaking directly against the very words of Christ spoken here.

EVERY believer has a role in this... using the 'gifts' they HAVE received... to do this work. (what ever that looks like for you).
    * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * ** * * * * ** * * * ** * *** * * * * ***** * * * * ** * * * * ** ** * *
    ~ * You get 10 'reps' to bless others with each day... don't log off until you have used them up......

Bible Forums Vision: "To be a community of believers who are actively engaged in pursuing the truth of God as revealed in His Son Jesus Christ by way of studying the Scriptures diligently in order to discover this truth."

Blog Entries

I sometimes think we make it too complicated. It could be as simple as helping a blind man find his way. I find that I often get into situations where I know it is an oppertunity to reach out to that person. But often I don't take it. It's about getting over that initial discomfort of talking to a stranger, letting them into your space. In the west it is especially true that people tend to be unwilling to talk to people they don't know and have a high regard for personal space and and individualism. I don't think we are to preach at everything that moves, as it seems some churches expect one to do, but its about being sensitive to the needs around us and simply responing to them. I am not there yet. I sometimes ignore that voice inside which says: "go and talk to that person."

I hope that's what you are looking for. I agree with your interpretation.
    "I am come that they might have life, and that they might have it more abundantly."

in all your ways acknowledge Him, and he will make your paths straight.

Many are the afflictions of the righteous; But Jehovah delivereth him out of them all.

Blog Entries

Thumbs up Re: Make disciples of all the nations

Quote Originally Posted by 14390876 View Post
    I sometimes think we make it too complicated.

It could be as simple as helping a blind man find his way. I find that I often get into situations where I know it is an opportunity to reach out to that person. But often I don't take it. It's about getting over that initial discomfort of talking to a stranger, letting them into your space.

It may be, or it could be as simple as a smile or simple act of kindness. Maybe it is to speak healing... that is the beautiful thing about this process.... what ever some teach, it is going to look different for each of us.

I think that part of the problem is that those with gifts like evangelism or teaching have grabbed this passage and made it all about THEIR gifts... this thing that is 'making disciples' is MORE then just that...

In the west it is especially true that people tend to be unwilling to talk to people they don't know and have a high regard for personal space and and individualism. I don't think we are to preach at everything that moves, as it seems some churches expect one to do, but its about being sensitive to the needs around us and simply responding to them. I am not there yet. I sometimes ignore that voice inside which says: "go and talk to that person." I hope that's what you are looking for. I agree with your interpretation.
    I agree. There is a compete and direct connection to the gifts given and this commission. Christ speaks of the authority... that authority works THROUGH us.... it is not ours, and that it is not is a blessing! We are empowered by Him for this work!

We are to say 'yes Lord' and DO the thing He shows us. We are to not quench the Spirit... and understand what ever the outcome that if we have done these things we are not to be bound by 'fear' or 'anxiety'.

Blog Entries

There is a subtle point to that commission that so many miss; to whit, that 'all nations' were included in the Messianic Message that the true Messiah of God to Israel delivered and ratified. This Gospel, Matthew's account, was written after the events recorded in Acts 15, it is Matthew attesting to the fact that one of Christ's last commands did in fact include a commission to go and work among the Gentiles. The decision in Acts 15 approved Paul's work among the Gentiles, and Matthew simply attests that Jesus, before His ascension, had opened this door. I have wondered, as we see Peter struggling with the whole 'Cornelius the Gentile' point, how Matthew must have wrestled with this point also?
    God happens!
    'I Can Only Imagine'

Bless the Beasts and the Children:
    http://youtu.be/AhR36gV6vW4

On cautionary note:
    Quote Originally Posted by ProjectPeter
    When they say something... it is about anyone's guess what it is they really mean... but NEVER ask for clarification of their mysterious language... they are often very happy to give it and that's when the discussion goes FREAKY!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by slightlypuzzled View Post
    There is a subtle point to that commission that so many miss; to whit, that 'all nations' were included in the Messianic Message that the true Messiah of God to Israel delivered and ratified. This Gospel, Matthew's account, was written after the events recorded in Acts 15, it is Matthew attesting to the fact that one of Christ's last commands did in fact include a commission to go and work among the Gentiles. The decision in Acts 15 approved Paul's work among the Gentiles, and Matthew simply attests that Jesus, before His ascension, had opened this door. I have wondered, as we see Peter struggling with the whole 'Cornelius the Gentile' point, how Matthew must have wrestled with this point also?
    Maybe so... but the salient point I see is that it was ALWAYS the Lord's will for His people to reach all nations.

The 'Church' probably still struggles with this more then we ought.

Blog Entries

No argument there, but it was something that Jewish thought at that time would never accept. Matthew, in crafting his presentation to the Jews about the Messiah, carefully built up his 'case' to the point where he could bring this to the forefront.

Your OP is a good point; this just illustrates the impact scripture has from several areas because it is a true witness....
    God happens!
    'I Can Only Imagine'

Bless the Beasts and the Children:
    http://youtu.be/AhR36gV6vW4

On cautionary note:
    Quote Originally Posted by ProjectPeter
    When they say something... it is about anyone's guess what it is they really mean... but NEVER ask for clarification of their mysterious language... they are often very happy to give it and that's when the discussion goes FREAKY!

Matt 28:16 Now the eleven disciples went to Galilee, to the mountain to which Jesus had directed them.
    Matt 28:17 And when they saw him they worshiped him, but some doubted.
    Matt 28:18 And Jesus came and said to them, “All authority in heaven and on earth has been given to me.
    Matt 28:19 Go therefore and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit,
    Matt 28:20 teaching them to observe all that I have commanded you. And behold, I am with you always, to the end of the age.”

I'm not saying that this doesn't have some application to us, but this task was given and was to be carried out by the apostles (v.16).
    It seems Jesus believed some of the apostles would make it to the end of the age, as He told them He would be with them (apostles) "to the end of the age".

He had told the apostles earlier in His ministry that this had to be done when He was answering a question about the "end of the age".
    Matt 24:14 And this gospel of the kingdom will be proclaimed throughout the whole world as a testimony to all nations, and then the end will come.

The "end will come". What "end"? Probably the "end of the age" since that was part of the question being asked in 24:3.

The question is, did the apostles proclaim the gospel to the whole world? Paul said this had been accomplished.
    Col 1:23 if indeed you continue in the faith, stable and steadfast, not shifting from the hope of the gospel that you heard, which has been proclaimed in all creation under heaven, and of which I, Paul, became a minister.

Rom 1:8 First, I thank my God through Jesus Christ for all of you, because your faith is proclaimed in all the world.

Rom 10:17 So faith comes from hearing, and hearing through the word of Christ.
    Rom 10:18 But I ask, have they not heard? Indeed they have, for “Their voice has gone out to all the earth, and their words to the ends of the world.”

Col 1:5 because of the hope laid up for you in heaven. Of this you have heard before in the word of the truth, the gospel,
    Col 1:6 which has come to you, as indeed in the whole world it is bearing fruit and growing-as it also does among you, since the day you heard it and understood the grace of God in truth,

So the apostles had done what Christ had told them to by 56-57 AD.

If that is the case, then the "end of the age" should have came within the apostles lifetime. When was the timeframe of the "end of the age"?

As we have seen, some of the apostles should have been alive.
    Matt 28:20 teaching them to observe all that I have commanded you. And behold, I am with you always, to the end of the age.”

Paul said it had come upon them.
    1Cor 10:11 Now these things happened to them as an example, but they were written down for our instruction, on whom the end of the ages has come.

The Messiah was sacrificied during this period.
    Heb 9:26b But as it is, he has appeared once and for all at the end of the ages to put away sin by the sacrifice of himself.

Jesus gave himself to deliver them from that age.
    Gal 1:3,4 ... Jesus Christ, who gave himself for our sins to deliver us from the present evil age...

From these verses we can see that they were living in the "end of the age" and were eagerly awaiting the close of that age... the old covenant, old temple, old priesthood, old church age.

The Great Commission

What does this mean?

Third, we see baptism

We ought not to...

Amos, thanks for starting the thread. This topic is something that the Lord has placed on my heart recently and I think a discussion of the great commission provides a great wake up call for us as believers. The points you highlighted here are spot on, however, I think you missed one vital area. We are called to go to ALL NATIONS and make disciples. This is something that has been lost. We've been deceived and told that it is ok to sit in the pews and worry about what is happening in our own communities--be good and quiet Christians.

Scripture is clear that the Day of the Lord will not come until all nations have been reached by His gospel and there are believers in all nations and tongues. (Isaiah 66:17-19, Matt 24:14 ,Mark 13:9-10, Rev 7:9) Revelations 7:9 shows members from every nation, people and language before the throne, clothed in white. It shows this between the 6th and 7th seal, which is not coincidence. Before the Day of the Lord--before Christ returns--the gospel will be preached and disciples will exist in all nations.

Right now, there are billions of people on the planet that have never heard the gospel--entire countries and people groups. Estimates are in the thousands when it comes to unreached people groups. Though I don't necessarily agree with their methodology in counting these unreached groups, the message and mission is still clear. It is our job to reach out to these groups and it will be done before the Lord returns.

Does this mean that each of us needs to sell everything we have and move to Africa? No. but it also doesn't mean that we should be content leaving the missionary work to a few people and feel content saying an occasional prayer when someone remembers to talk about those out spreading God's word. We live in a unique time. Travel across the globe is fairly simple, not to mention the ease of cross cultural communication on the Internet and through other technologies. We can each do our part to extend beyond our neighborhoods and missions, either through direct support of groups reaching out to the world, or by helping with short missions trips to unreached areas.

The Lord is moving in big ways right now, and I truly believe that we are rapidly approaching the end days. Woe to me that I do not make full use of the gifts the Lord has given me before His return.

Matt 24:14 And this gospel of the kingdom(B) will be proclaimed throughout the whole world(C) as a testimony(D) to all nations, and(E) then the end will come.

Yea!

Please see the other thread I just started on 'Spiritual gifts'... yours is an excellent point. Your word's I placed in bold are SIGNIFICANT.

The deceiver teaches some that this is "not their job"... speaking lies to them that they lack the 'gift' required... that is speaking directly against the very words of Christ spoken here.

EVERY believer has a role in this... using the 'gifts' they HAVE received... to do this work. (what ever that looks like for you).
    I dont know where it is, could you link me?

Found it 8)

Blog Entries

.....[/U][/I] Next, we are to (here is where folks throw rocks)... "[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][/COLOR][/SIZE]teaching them to observe all things that I have commanded you". People have a BIG problem with this idea. If you are a follower of Christ, you are to be doing this...

We ought not to...

I figured this would draw more fire... I guess it is difficult to argue with the words in red.

First I want to say: I also agree that simple acts of kindness from an obvious Christian does build the Kingdom and also glorifies Father to the world.

But:
    I want to reinforce the point RockSolid made here on this thread:http://bibleforums.org/showthread.ph...54#post2700054
    Because if I do not, then I am not serving my Master but only serving/pleasing myself or other men...

Why I chose to reinforce what RockSolid posted is:
    I see many, many, almost all the ones who are self proclaimed "called", I see most if not all of them now-a-days unprepared and/or mislead and/or biblicaly illiterate people who march "uncalled" and "unprepared/unapproved" march off into the world to teach the gospel of Christ to the Nations/Ethnos, but only go and make disciples to themselves and/or make disciples to their denominational doctrines of men. (which is not the gospel)
    They only serve themselves and/or other men, and do not serve my Master.
    They would better serve my Master by just passing out bibles in the local language and allow Father's Spirit to lead the locals to His Son !
    If that offends anyone reading what I post, then pray about it...

Father bless, and have mercy on all of us.

Quote Originally Posted by MoreMercy View Post
    First I want to say: I also agree that simple acts of kindness from an obvious Christian does build the Kingdom and also glorifies Father to the world.

But:
    I want to reinforce the point RockSolid made on post:http://bibleforums.org/showthread.ph...54#post2700054
    Because if I do not, then I am not serving my Master but only serving/pleasing myself or other men...

Why I chose to reinforce what RockSolid posted is:
    I see many, many, almost all the ones who are self proclaimed "called", I see most if not all of them now-a-days unprepared and/or mislead and/or biblicaly illiterate people who march "uncalled" and "unprepared/unapproved" march off into the world to teach the gospel of Christ, but only go and make disciples to themselves and/or make disciples to their denominational doctrines of men. (which is not the gospel)
    They only serve themselves and/or other men, and do not serve my Master. They would better serve my Master by just passing out bibles in the local language and allow Father's Spirit to lead the locals to His Son !
    If that offends anyone reading what I post, then there is a reason it offends...

Father bless, and have mercy on all of us.
    I agree with you and everyone else on this thread. Especially the point you made MoreMercy, about being "called" yet only making themselves disciples. We could ask even ourselves, whose Kingdom are we building? Although we might have the knowledge, we may not be ready to go and teach, because it seems, not only knowledge would we need, but also the maturity and the spirituality, to not allow what you have mentioned happen. If we are hindering the Kingdom, then we are either not really called OR our attitude is not in the right place.
    Another point, is that I believe Amos with Goats mentioned, was that we have sort of put on the evangilism and the teachers, these are the people who are supposed to be making disciples, however, as he said, we are all to point everyone to Christ, all the time, no matter what gift it is we have, this is the whole point of the gifting.
    Thanks for the thread! It was enlightening!
    peace.

Blog Entries

The Great Commission

What does this mean?

Third, we see baptism

We ought not to...

In this context, Jesus is talking to his apostles, the ones he was sending out to be his representatives. As such we should be careful not to think that this applies to each and every believer. Paul explains in his letter to the Ephesians that each of us has been given a role to play in building up the body. Not all of us are apostles or evangelists. Not all of us are going to make disciples. All of us should be ready to give an answer for the hope we have, but making disciples is not necessarily part of that.

Thread Information