cure-real
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Churches debate whether to marry gays in NY

Blog Entries

Thumbs down Churches debate whether to marry gays in NY

Churches debate whether to marry gays (AP)
    ...As more states legalize same-sex marriage, religious groups with ambiguous policies on homosexuality are divided over whether they should allow the ceremonies in local congregations. The decision is especially complex in the mainline Protestant denominations that have yet to fully resolve their disagreements over the Bible and homosexuality.
    ....Just last Sunday, the Presbyterian Church formally lifted barriers to ordination for gays and lesbians who are not celibate, although individual congregations had been hiring gay pastors and conducting same-sex blessing ceremonies for years.
    * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * ** * * * * ** * * * ** * *** * * * * ***** * * * * ** * * * * ** ** * *
    ~ * You get 10 'reps' to bless others with each day... don't log off until you have used them up......
    ....Live your life the same way.... ~ *

Please pray for the 'Persecuted Church'.

Bible Forums Vision: "To be a community of believers who are actively engaged in pursuing the truth of God as revealed in His Son Jesus Christ by way of studying the Scriptures diligently in order to discover this truth."

Blog Entries

Re: Churches debate whether to marry gays in NY

They can do what ever they desire but God ultimately will judge. Gods word is clear and He will not be mocked
    Amazzin

Obedience to God is more than a soldier obeying his commander. It is our grateful response to the Lover of our souls.

CHURCH: Where worship is enjoyed, not endured - Grace is preached, not legalism - And Christ is exalted, not religion!

In a place of praying hard and trusting God while battling on my knees!
    Blog Entries

We had a discussion about this at church since we live in NY. Right now, a gay couple can't demand a church to marry them. If a church says no, the two people can't "sue" the church.

However, a couple (same-gender) who come to any church to be a member must be treated as any other married couple and that means if they attend any Marriage Ministry meetings together or one (even a man if I understand the law correctly) wants to attend the Woman's Ministry... a church cannot stop this.

We better learn more hymns because some of us will be singing in jail for a long time the way this world is going.
    Slug1--out

~Limitations in a Christian’s life are due to limited prayer and limiting obedience~

~Forgiveness has nothing to do with forgetting that moment... it's all about freedom FROM that moment.~

~Your needs activate God's compassion and faith activates God's power~

~Three minutes is a lifetime, if you only have two, too live~

Quote Originally Posted by Slug1 View Post

However, a couple (same-gender) who come to any church to be a member must be treated as any other married couple and that means if they attend any Marriage Ministry meetings together or one (even a man if I understand the law correctly) wants to attend the Woman's Ministry... a church cannot stop this.
    Who says the church can't stop it? The state? If so, why? Is it because the church is a 501c?
    In Christ,

-- Rev

“To preserve the government we must also preserve morals. Morality rests on religion; if you destroy the foundation, the superstructure must fall. When the public mind becomes vitiated and corrupt, laws are a nullity and constitutions are waste paper.” – Daniel Webster, 4th of July, 1800, Oration at Hanover, N.H.

I'm guessing they're thinking it'll fall under a public accomodation, though I don't actually think it would. Not positive, but I don't think it would in that way.

Episcopalian churches have been having gay commitment ceremonies and such for ages, I'm sure they'll have no problem having weddings, but you can't force a church to marry anyone, nevermind anyone gay. Most churches have requirements and a preacher or priest's discretion about marrying couples.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Cornflake View Post
    I'm guessing they're thinking it'll fall under a public accomodation, though I don't actually think it would. Not positive, but I don't think it would in that way.

Episcopalian churches have been having gay commitment ceremonies and such for ages, I'm sure they'll have no problem having weddings, but you can't force a church to marry anyone, nevermind anyone gay. Most churches have requirements and a preacher or priest's discretion about marrying couples.
    The only reason they can not FORCE any church to marry was the 'religious exemption' which BARELY made it into the legislation.

Othewrwise the ACLU and the AUSCS would cram it down the throat of any true Christian.
    * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * ** * * * * ** * * * ** * *** * * * * ***** * * * * ** * * * * ** ** * *
    ~ * You get 10 'reps' to bless others with each day... don't log off until you have used them up......

Bible Forums Vision: "To be a community of believers who are actively engaged in pursuing the truth of God as revealed in His Son Jesus Christ by way of studying the Scriptures diligently in order to discover this truth."

Blog Entries

Interesting thought on this whole gay marriage issue.

It seems unlikely that very many groups would attempt to force Muslims to tolerate homosexuality when they, too, are strongly opposed to it.

Perhaps the long term plan isn't so much to force Christians to accept homosexuality as to force Christians into the metaphorical bed with Muslims.
    24 August 2013 - I've decided to take a break from a number of internet forums, including this one, for my own reasons.
    I expect to be back at some time in the future, although at present don't know when that will be.
    I've been here just a few days shy of six years, and those six years have been greatly blessed.

---

1Jn 4:1 NKJV Beloved, do not believe every spirit, but test the spirits, whether they are of God; because many false prophets have gone out into the world.
    1Th 5:21-22 NKJV Test all things; hold fast what is good. (22) Abstain from every form of evil.

This is the reason I have been speaking out against gay marriage amendments. They will find their way into our worship services. It is going to put me at odds with the people in charge of the church allowing this to be inducted into the mainstream activity of chruch services. However, I did draw a lot of comfort from a passage I read the other day.

13 Jesus replied, "Every plant not planted by my heavenly Father will be uprooted,
    14 so ignore them. They are blind guides leading the blind, and if one blind person guides another, they will both fall into a ditch."
    (Mat 15:13-14 NLT)

I see so many wrong ministries being supported and it has really bothered me. Somehow I came to this passage and it just reminded me of what is to come. I hate it that people will be led astray, but I know God will uproot everything that is not his no matter how strong of an authority man puts it in place. I hate that the Lord has to take care of everything especially simple matters that should be obvious to church leaders.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by danield View Post
    This is the reason I have been speaking out against gay marriage amendments. They will find their way into our worship services. It is going to put me at odds with the people in charge of the church allowing this to be inducted into the mainstream activity of chruch services. However, I did draw a lot of comfort from a passage I read the other day.

13 Jesus replied, "Every plant not planted by my heavenly Father will be uprooted,
    14 so ignore them. They are blind guides leading the blind, and if one blind person guides another, they will both fall into a ditch."
    (Mat 15:13-14 NLT)

I see so many wrong ministries being supported and it has really bothered me. Somehow I came to this passage and it just reminded me of what is to come. I hate it that people will be led astray, but I know God will uproot everything that is not his no matter how strong of an authority man puts it in place. I hate that the Lord has to take care of everything especially simple matters that should be obvious to church leaders.
    If any believer is part of a fellowship who would ordain or 'marry' homosexuals they absolutely need to depart that fellowship.

Ephesians 5:10-12

10 finding out what is acceptable to the Lord. 11 And have no fellowship with the unfruitful works of darkness, but rather expose them. 12 For it is shameful even to speak of those things which are done by them in secret.

Yep, 1st Corinthians is pretty clear about not tolerating sexual sins in the church.

The Protestant churches in NY are pretty...liberal. I could see some of them performing gay weddings.
    As for Me, this is My covenant with them," says the LORD: "My Spirit who is on you, and My words that I have put in your mouth, will not depart from your mouth, or from the mouth of your children, or from the mouth of your children's children, from now on and forever," says the LORD.

Isaiah 59:21

Quote Originally Posted by Amos_with_goats View Post
    If any believer is part of a fellowship who would ordain or 'marry' homosexuals they absolutely need to depart that fellowship.

Ephesians 5:10-12

10 finding out what is acceptable to the Lord. 11 And have no fellowship with the unfruitful works of darkness, but rather expose them. 12 For it is shameful even to speak of those things which are done by them in secret.

Amen brother!

Jeanne

"He who accepts evil without protesting against it is really cooperating with it". ~ Martin Luther King Jr.

"If we ever forget that we are ONE NATION UNDER GOD, then we will be a nation gone under" ~ Ronald Reagan

Quote Originally Posted by Fenris View Post
    The Protestant churches in NY are pretty...liberal. I could see some of them performing gay weddings.
    So could I, unfortunately. Oh, well. I say let them slit their own throats, spiritually speaking.

Quote Originally Posted by Fenris View Post
    Yes, I am afraid you are correct on this, but please tell me that there are no synagogues which would do such a thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Bandit View Post
    Yes, I am afraid you are correct on this, but please tell me that there are no synagogues which would do such a thing.
    Fenris can correct me if I'm wrong but I bet there are more liberal synagogues that would allow this. Orthodox ones wouldn't, though.

Thread Information