cure-real

Thread: Besetting sin

Besetting sin

I've heard it said that each person shall have (at least) one sin with which they will have to do battle consistently throughout their lives; one specifically that special guard must be taken against (individual to each person). Iíve not found Biblical truth to this and was wondering what your thoughts were on the matter. Iím hoping to hear from those involved in ministry but all are welcome to respond. I donít imagine the possibility of argument exist in this thread, because I am hoping that you will each answer from you own experience. I may have a few questions when Iíve read some thoughts from others.
    Psalm 19:14
    May the words of my mouth and the meditation of my heart
    be pleasing in your sight,
    O LORD, my Rock and my Redeemer.

Blog Entries

Re: Besetting sin

That's actually the first time I've ever heard that my friend.

If it's not inthe Bible, then it is some man's wisdom. I have not seen your concern adressed in scripture.
    I've been a Christian for over seven years now and I am tempted every day. But when I am tempted, I just remember that the temptations are only to my now dead flesh and its' affections and lusts, (Gal 5:24). My old "self" was crucified with Christ when I chose to be baptized into Christ (Rom 6:3-6). This after repenting, (turning away from) my sins.
    God gives His Spirit to those who obey Him, (Acts 5:32), so walk in the Spirit and you will not fulfill the lusts of the flesh. (Gal 5:16) God bless you.

Quote Originally Posted by PJW View Post
    If it's not inthe Bible, then it is some man's wisdom. I have not seen your concern adressed in scripture.

What about that infamous Christian saying "When God closes one door, He opens another" -- as far as I know there is no Scripture plainly stating this. Or is there?

Blog Entries

Those who are in Christ are a new creation. The old is gone, the new has come.

So ... no.

We may all have our own particular weaknesses ... but sins? The power of sin over the believer has been broken, and we've been given every provision to not yield to it, in any situation, by Jesus Himself.

I quit struggling with sin years ago. My struggle now is with heart attitudes and false beliefs and it's a constant deeper repentance into freedom, every single day.

Quote Originally Posted by Dani H View Post
    Those who are in Christ are a new creation. The old is gone, the new has come.

So ... no.

We may all have our own particular weaknesses ... but sins? The power of sin over the believer has been broken, and we've been given every provision to not yield to it, in any situation, by Jesus Himself.

I quit struggling with sin years ago. My struggle now is with heart attitudes and false beliefs and it's a constant deeper repentance into freedom, every single day.
    Did your sin go away at once or slowly over time? I've found my sin has lessened and it gets weaker every month (it seems) but it's not completely gone.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by DDGresham1 View Post
    Did your sin go away at once or slowly over time? I've found my sin has lessened and it gets weaker every month (it seems) but it's not completely gone.
    My sin was dealt with on the cross. God hasn't been after sin in me for ... like ... ever. It's all about heart attitudes and unbelief and false beliefs, way down to the root of matters. Have I sinned at times? Surely. Do I ask forgiveness? Absolutely. But that's not what God's been after.

If you want to be truly in victory from sin, then a) know that Jesus has already dealt with it, and b) pursue Him with everything you've got, because in so doing, sin will be the least of your concerns, I promise you. What's going to come front and center, pretty quick-like, is our ever-besetting desire to want to judge others and play God. God has dealt with my wanting to judge others for years and years now, in hundreds and thousands of different ways, none of them righteous, none of them holy, none of them acceptable to Him in any way.

If you're struggling with sin, I guarantee you that somewhere is that person or people you are holding in judgment and so God is letting that be reaped in your own life by showing you how weak you really are. So that you might let Him be God and release all manner of judgment into His capable hands, and understand that without Him, you are nothing, and with Him, you are everything.

Not directed directly at you, D, just sayin.

Dani, I agree. I think that is often the case with myself. I have to let God be God.

I have the opinion that we do all have a specific sin that we battle consistently throughout our lives. (especially me !)

But I'll add that it is the same sin for all of us, or at least the same root sin thereof... PRIDE
    Pride is what produces sin, all sin, any and every sin sprouts from it.

If anyone does not understand that yet, then give God some time and He will confirm it to you as you continue to follow His Son's life, teachings and examples.

Father bless and have mercy on all of us.

Thread Information