cure-real
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Did God create water?

Did God create water?

If and when did God create the water? Gen1 describes hovering over the waters and separating them, so did they always exist?

Re: Did God create water?

Quote Originally Posted by LaurieF View Post
    If and when did God create the water? Gen1 describes hovering over the waters and separating them, so did they always exist?
    This sort of goes back to what I've been discussing on another thread concerning historicity.

We have to bear in mind that the cosmology of the ancients was completely different than our cosmology today. The ancient near easterners, including those who wrote Genesis, believed that the earth was a flat disc that arose out of the primordial chaos of the primeval "waters". They believed that God separated the waters to allow the land, and that the waters were held in the sky above us (they didn't understand the concept of "outer space", and thought that water was up there). This was also where the water came from in the later flood story.

We now know that water is a molecular chemical that resuls from combining hydrogen and oxygen in a certain way. These two elements were created during nuclear fusion in the center of stars, so water is indeed created, it did not always exist.
    If the Son therefore shall make you free, ye shall be free indeed. - John 8:36

For by him all things were created: things in heaven and on earth, visible and invisible, whether thrones or powers or rulers or authorities; all things were created by him and for him. Col 1:16

Water in the ancient near eastern world represented chaos, i dont know how familiar you are with the ancient near east motifs but I think the general idea by mentioning the water as already existing is that God has brought about order to that which was chaotic. I think this idea is given more credibility by Rev 21:1

Then I saw a new heaven and a new earth, for the first heaven and the first earth had passed away, and there was no longer any sea.

No more chaos/things that go against Gods will or ordering, in the new Heaven and new Earth. I'm sure there are other views on this though

Blog Entries

I'll say it is in
    Genesis 1:1
    In the beginning God created the heaven and the earth.

The Hebrew word for 'the heaven' is "hashamayim" which means . ('ha' = the) 'shamayim' = sky, heaven, sphere, firmament, empyreal, empyrean
    "mayim" is water....

So I'll say that 'hashamayim' is a collection of the water that will be separated between water above and on the earth
    Fenris: "There are two ways to shoot an arrow into a bulls-eye You can shoot the arrow into the bulls-eye or you can shoot the arrow and paint the bulls-eye wherever it hits"

Romans 12:19 Don't seek revenge ... give place to God's wrath. For it is written "Vengeance belongs to me; I will repay, says the Lord"

Isa. 30:32
    And every blow of the rod of punishment, which the Lord will lay on him, will be with the music of tambourines and lyres; And in battles, brandishing weapons, He will fight them

G_d was gracious He has shown favor

What are you willing to die for? Now live for it!

Oh I like that Ta-An. In fact it says heaven"s" which would encompass all from the Hebrew word. And Nobugana.. I like that too..that is a very interesting concept to study. Thanks for your answers.

Hi Laurie,

What does Genesis 1:1 say?

In the beginning God created the heavens and the earth.

The answer is yes...
    "Enter by the Narrow Gate...
    Because narrow is the gate and difficult is the way...
    ... there are few who find it."

-----------------------------------------------

* All Scripture when quoted is taken from:

The New American Standard Bible®,
    Copyright © 1960, 1962, 1963, 1968, 1971, 1972, 1973,
    1975, 1977, 1995 by The Lockman Foundation
    Used by permission." (www.Lockman.org)

Italics, bold, color and/or underline are added for emphasis

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Ta-An View Post
    I'll say it is in
    Genesis 1:1
    In the beginning God created the heaven and the earth.

The Hebrew word for 'the heaven' is "hashamayim" which means . ('ha' = the) 'shamayim' = sky, heaven, sphere, firmament, empyreal, empyrean
    "mayim" is water....

So I'll say that 'hashamayim' is a collection of the water that will be separated between water above and on the earth
    Oh, how I love a proper translation!!

This question brings out an important point that is often overlooked by many when reading Gen.1

Gen 1:1 is an independent [as in all ancient translations], absolute statement. It declares that God created the Universe. Heaven and earth, here, is a merism, a figure of speech where the parts stand for the whole.

Gen 1:2 then describes the state of the earth following the creation of the universe.

Gen 1:3 and following verses than describe God making the earth fit for man, the crown of his creation. So in v. 3 we have 'light' to replace the 'darkness' on earth of v. 2, etc.

Too many Christians neglect the flow of the text, and talk as if God did not create anything until v. 3.

Blog Entries

Yes, God created the water. In Genesis 1:2 we see the earth in the state that was in before God began to form it. When He spoke the world into existence it was originally dark, empty, formless, and covered in water, then God begin to form it like a potter molds clay, though He did it by the WORD of His mouth, not by hands. The six days of creation show God fashioning the heavens and the earth after He spoke them into existence. The first day was marked by the appearance of Light on the earth. Hope this helps.
    1 John 1:7- But if we walk in the light, as he is in the light, we have fellowship one with another, and the blood of Jesus Christ his Son cleanseth us from all sin.

2 Corinthians 7:1- Having therefore these promises, dearly beloved, let us cleanse ourselves from all filthiness of the flesh and spirit, perfecting holiness in the fear of God.

"My heart was once hard and dark. Then God turned on the Light and the Water."

Here's an interesting passage.

Proverbs 8:22 The LORD possessed me in the beginning of his way, before his works of old.
    23 I was set up from everlasting, from the beginning, or ever the earth was.
    24 When there were no depths, I was brought forth; when there were no fountains abounding with water.
    25 Before the mountains were settled, before the hills was I brought forth:
    26 While as yet he had not made the earth, nor the fields, nor the highest part of the dust of the world.

From verse 23 we can establish that eventually there would come a time when there would be a beginning, and that the earth would be the result.

In verse 24 it states this...When there were no depths, I was brought forth; when there were no fountains abounding with water.

This would seem to imply that there was a time when water never existed. At least not in relation to the earth, since we already established there was a beginning, and that there was also before the beginning, and that there was no earth until the beginning. We of course know about the beginning from Genesis 1. But we wouldn't know about a time preceding the beginning, simply from just Genesis 1. We might assume from Genesis 1 that God likely pre existed prior to the beginning, but we wouldn't be able to sift out some of those details simply from Genesis 1. So what I'm convinced of, and certainly Proverbs 8 proves the point, many of the details missing in Genesis 1, these can be found throughout Scripture, especially the OT. Whether Proverbs 8 answers the question about water, I'm not entirely certain, but I think it helps to fill in some of the gaps. Psalms 104 is another good place to look, tho unfortunatey that Psalm is highly debatable. Some see it speaking of creation in the beginning. Others see it speaking of the alleged gap in Genesis 1. And others even see it speaking of Noah's flood. Personally, I tend to see it speaking of the former.

Here's an interesting article from NASA I just came across. Just a few days ago, NASA astronomers have discovered a vapor cloud containing 140 trillion times the water as found on earth.

That, my friends, is a lot of agua.

http://www.nasa.gov/topics/universe/...e20110722.html

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Knight Templar View Post
    Here's an interesting article from NASA I just came across. Just a few days ago, NASA astronomers have discovered a vapor cloud containing 140 trillion times the water as found on earth.

That, my friends, is a lot of agua.

http://www.nasa.gov/topics/universe/...e20110722.html
    Yeah, right. That site says, "The water, equivalent to 140 trillion times all the water in the world's ocean, surrounds a huge, feeding black hole, called a quasar, more than 12 billion light-years away. " Yeah, right. How in the world they could make such a claim as finding actual water, 12 billion light-years away, is totally beyond me. I didn't believe NASA and their staged 'man on the moon' when I was young and saw it live on TV. There's no way I'd believe that claim either. If NASA ever actually found water anywhere besides our earth and our heaven, I'll eat my hat! It's absolutely impossible to claim what NASA is saying on that page such as "There's water vapor in the Milky Way, although the total amount is 4,000 times less than in the quasar, because most of the Milky Way’s water is frozen in ice." Who's side is NASA on? Never mind, I know the answer and it's not God's.

Quote Originally Posted by Raybob View Post
    I didn't believe NASA and their staged 'man on the moon' when I was young and saw it live on TV. There's no way I'd believe that claim either.
    So...you don't believe that the Eagle had landed?

If NASA ever actually found water anywhere besides our earth and our heaven, I'll eat my hat!
    Huh?

It's absolutely impossible to claim what NASA is saying on that page such as "There's water vapor in the Milky Way, although the total amount is 4,000 times less than in the quasar, because most of the Milky Way’s water is frozen in ice."
    It is? Why?

Water existed.

Genesis 1:2 And the earth was without form, and void; and darkness was upon the face of the deep. And the Spirit of God moved upon the face of the waters.

When was water created?

Genesis 1:1 In the beginning God created the heaven and the earth.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Knight Templar View Post
    So...you don't believe that the Eagle had landed?

Huh?

It is? Why?
    It wasn't "Eagle", it was "Gemini" that "put a man on the moon". Guess you are a kid and missed the live TV performance of that. How did they find water 12 billion light years away from here? Did they drink it? What looks to them to be water certainly can be something entirely different.

But God hath chosen the foolish things of the world to confound the wise; and God hath chosen the weak things of the world to confound the things which are mighty;
    (1Co 1:27)

Thread Information