cure-real
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Christian mentors?

Christian mentors?

I am fairly new in my Christian walk, but not that new. I have been attending different churches for about a year and a half now. I think its time i pick a church to call home for i can get involed and such. Someone told me it is a good idea to get a Christian mentor. Has anyone else done this? has it helped you? should i get one perhaps?

Blog Entries

Re: Christian mentors?

I thought I read that you are in a good Youth Group at your church. Don't you like that one? I just think it would be good to attend church where you have friends in the Youth Group.

As for a 'mentor', don't you have any family support? Friends? I guess I would just need to know a bit more about you before answering if a mentor would be a good idea or not.
    My favorite scripture: Malachi 3:16

"Then they that feared the LORD spake often one to another: and the LORD hearkened, and heard it, and a book of remembrance was written before him for them that feared the LORD, and that thought upon his name!" (Every time we speak of the Lord, or even THINK of him--its written down in a book of remembrance!)

Yea man there's nothing wrong with a mentor I'm a pastor at my church and I would not be where I am today if it wasn't for my mentor and his ministry some times mentoring hurts because there's correction involved but it's deff a good idea

Something very important to remember. A good mentor will help you to become your best YOU in Christ, not a puppet or clone of himself.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by -SEEKING- View Post
    Something very important to remember. A good mentor will help you to become your best YOU in Christ, not a puppet or clone of himself.
    Yes, Seeking!

Are you familiar with the 'discipling' movement?

So bad that they even tell people what kind and color of clothes to wear, who they can or cannot date, tells them who to marry and when. (Could even be someone you've never met!)

Best be careful.

"Then they that feared the LORD spake often one to another: and the LORD hearkened, and heard it, and a book of remembrance was written before him for them that feared the LORD, and that thought upon his name!" (Every time we speak of the Lord, or even THINK of him--its written down in a book of remembrance!)

Quote Originally Posted by Diggindeeper View Post
    Yes, Seeking!

Are you familiar with the 'discipling' movement?

So bad that they even tell people what kind and color of clothes to wear, who they can or cannot date, tells them who to marry and when. (Could even be someone you've never met!)

Best be careful.
    That's textbook cult leader behavior my dear sister. Sadly I was once part of a system like that. Though thankfully I was rebellious enough by nature to not allow myself to be manipulated to the point I lost my faith.

Blog Entries

Cup,

It's not rocket science. If you are a Christian, the Holy Spirit lives in you. Growth is natural if you get nourished. Read your Bible and pray every single day. Growth will happen.
    In essentials, unity; in non-essentials, liberty; in all things, charity. - unknown

Read your Bible and pray every single day. - Pastor Jon Courson

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by TrustGzus View Post
    Cup,

It's not rocket science. If you are a Christian, the Holy Spirit lives in you. Growth is natural if you get nourished. Read your Bible and pray every single day. Growth will happen.
    So true!! ..........

Hi CupOfMilk, God bless you !

I think TrustGzus has some very, very good advice for you here:
    http://bibleforums.org/showthread.ph...70#post2722470

Although I see nothing wrong with having a mentor to Christ because we all are commanded to be mentors/examples to our fellow creatures.
    But this could become a problem if some one becomes dependent upon the mentor personally or for the mentors approval, instead of dependent upon the mentor's examples of Christ.

But you just cannot go wrong anywhere with TrustGzus's advice:
    Cup,

Amen, the only time-frames or schedule you have to be on track with are our Creators, and you cannot be left behind because He WILL drop everything and come just for you to bring you back on track if you are seeking Him, He promises that.

If I cannot find peace in that, then I will never find peace, ever !

Father bless, and have mercy on us.

Quote Originally Posted by CupOfMilk View Post
    I am fairly new in my Christian walk, but not that new. I have been attending different churches for about a year and a half now. I think its time i pick a church to call home for i can get involed and such. Someone told me it is a good idea to get a Christian mentor. Has anyone else done this? has it helped you? should i get one perhaps?
    There are pro's and cons to this.

Obviously it's great to be around and get Godly advice from a more mature Christian. Even having someone as an accountability partner if you struggle with a particular sin, etc.

Diggin makes a good point in post #5. There are certain people out there that use it as a method of control. Setting rules where we have freedom in Christ to make our own decisions. This type should be avoided.

Another con is because a newer Christian can often time ascribe infallibility to their mentor. They get in the habit of listening and going to this mentor for advice that they believe every single thing they may say on an issue is true without first studying it. Then also who is this particular mentor accountable to?

The best method is to not rely on one single individual but the entirety of the church. After all that's what church hierarchy is therefore. Pastors, Elders even deacons. I get leery of just one individual mentoring or decipling an individual. Let the church share the responsibility of helping a newer Christian grow.
    Quote Originally Posted by Job 34:19
    God is not partial to princes and does not favor the rich over the poor, for they are all the work of His hands.

Having a mentor is an excellent idea for any Christian, new or mature.
    Plus, it's totally biblical. Titus 2:4 teaches that the older woman
    is to train the younger women so they won't bring shame on the
    word of God. The entire chapter is a good read.

I recommend you find a mentor for your personal life, a mentor
    concerning your finances, and a mentor concerning your walk with
    the Lord. Everyone has gifts in certain areas and this way, you
    are covered. Having several spiritual advisors will also keep you from
    falling into trusting one person more than you do God.

I don't think it is wise to go looking for a mentor. I think it is wise to be teachable and humble... then perhaps a mentor can find you. You may not like what a real mentor has to say at first.

A wise teacher once said...don't just read books by people you agree with. Read the ones you don't agree with and find out the real reasons why you don't.

Be led of the Spirit.

Quote Originally Posted by episkopos View Post
    I don't think it is wise to go looking for a mentor. I think it is wise to be teachable and humble... then perhaps a mentor can find you.
    I agree a person seeking a mentor should seek God first.
    If they are brought together by the Holy Spirit, then it
    does not make a different if a person sought one out,
    or if a mentor sought out the person. The Holy Spirit
    will let them both know if He approves of the relationship
    or not. How they came together is irrelevant.

First of all, DEFINITELY pray about which church God wants you to call home. This is very important, you need to commit to ONE church and serve/grow there. Not saying you can't serve elsewhere, but hopefully you get my meaning. It's very important to be part of one local church body. In my first year as a Christian, I was always balancing two churches. Best thing I did was pick one. Led by Spirit of course.

2. A Christian mentor can be a great thing but again it has to be Spirit led. I dunno about seeking a mentor outright. If God wills it, He will place an older more mature Christian in your inner circle that can kind of guide you along. For me, I have two older brothers whom I consider "semi-mentors." I call them whenever I have big issues and need intercession. I don't have a "full" mentor, but between the two of them, who God placed in my life for different reasons, I feel they almost combine to make for one full mentor, so to speak.

I've had many hour-plus phone calls with these two men, and many 1 on 1 lunch meetings. They're just as flawed as I am, but they've been traveling down the road I am currently traversing. Of course, anything someone says you should always put it to the test, hold onto the good, throw away the evil. They offer me their advice and stories when I ask them for it. Then, it's up to me to take it with a grain of salt (in other words, I can't listen to them over Jesus). They do often give me good things to think and pray about, though.

I'm thankful God's placed them in my walk. And I think that's the key thing. God has to place these people in your life. You can't just force it. One was my BSF discussion leader (whom I hit it off pretty well with) and the other was always sort of my "big brother" at my first ever church. He's the only one from my old first church that I regularly keep in touch with, too.

Cup,

A rare and refreshing dose of truthful simplicity on these forums. I like it! The Church could use such simplicity in presenting the Walk with Christ today, IMO.

Thread Information