cure-real
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Christian mentors?

Blog Entries

Re: Christian mentors?

Quote Originally Posted by RollTide21 View Post
    A rare and refreshing dose of truthful simplicity on these forums. I like it! The Church could use such simplicity in presenting the Walk with Christ today, IMO.
    And so many messes in the church may largely be due to the lack of those simple things -- unfortunately.
    In essentials, unity; in non-essentials, liberty; in all things, charity. - unknown

Read your Bible and pray every single day. - Pastor Jon Courson

As a long-time believer, I have had the pleasure of walking with a few through their early days of faith in Jesus Christ. We call it discipling, and it is much like mentoring, although mentoring is a deeper commitment, IMHO. Both are excellent when the ones doing the discipling and mentoring are wise in the Lord, and have been trained, so that they are not manipulative, but gently point out matters of faith and how we can apply them to our lives.

If you feel the need for a mentor to help you in your early days as a Christian, by all means, ask your pastor to suggest someone of your same gender and within your age range, but someone who is wise and mature in the Lord to care for you for a set amount of time. A friendship should evolve out of this, and could be a very healthy and grounding thing for you.

I think it's a good idea for someone who you know is very solid in Jesus Christ. Making sure their views and morals and principles are biblical, you could really benefit from their wisdom that the Lord has given them.

I meet with a lady who in my opinion is a huge blessing in my life because God has just poured out on her His wisdom, discernment, and love to share with me. Hope you find one.
    Why are you searching for love? Why are you still looking as if I'm not enough?

I think it's a good idea for someone who you know is very solid in Jesus Christ. Making sure their views and morals and principles are biblical, you could really benefit from their wisdom that the Lord has given them.

I meet with a lady who in my opinion is a huge blessing in my life because God has just poured out on her His wisdom, discernment, and love to share with me. Hope you find one.
    Why are you searching for love? Why are you still looking as if I'm not enough?

Quote Originally Posted by SteveL View Post
    First of all, DEFINITELY pray about which church God wants you to call home. This is very important, you need to commit to ONE church and serve/grow there. Not saying you can't serve elsewhere, but hopefully you get my meaning. It's very important to be part of one local church body.
    "It's very important to be part of 'the' one local church body"

I don’t see how the Holy Spirit would lead someone to a church, other than The Church (in local city, town, village)
    ‘Many’ churches in one location, are not scriptural. We belong and are part of the whole one local Body of Christ

Quote Originally Posted by CupOfMilk View Post
    I am fairly new in my Christian walk, but not that new. I have been attending different churches for about a year and a half now. I think its time i pick a church to call home for i can get involed and such. Someone told me it is a good idea to get a Christian mentor. Has anyone else done this? has it helped you? should i get one perhaps?
    Its a great idea. It often happens sort of "organically" as the Lord leads a mature Christian into your life but if start attending a local church and talk to the pastor he may be willing to hook you up with someone or they may even have a program in place for it.
    The Pastor's Study
    “The easiest way to keep a broken vessel full is to keep the faucet constantly running.” – DL Moody

Thread Information