cure-real

Thread: Detestable Practices: Interpreting Omens [moved from BC]

Detestable Practices: Interpreting Omens [moved from BC]

What does it mean to interpret omens, according to the bible. Say you find yourself addicted to movies one day. You're watching a blockbuster movie and suddenly, your DVD player stops working on you. If you stop to think about it, you'd come to the conclusion that some higher being is trying to hint at something related to the DVD player that is broken in yourself. In this case, wouldn't it be "interpreting the DVD player omen"? So then, why does the Bible says to refrain from interpreting omens?

Blog Entries

Re: Detestable Practices: Interpreting Omens [moved from BC]

I don't know about omens. Maybe it's God that caused it to stop, saying get up, stop watching videos of people doing things and living their lives, when you could be up doing things and living your life.

This happened to me frequently, in the end i just bought i new dvd player. Now the dvd omen doesn't bother me.

Quote Originally Posted by pattern39 View Post
    So then, why does the Bible says to refrain from interpreting omens?
    Please give a reference.

Thanks;
    Faithful

Blog Entries

Hi pattern39,

I am under the impression that an omen has something to do with an occurance that is supposed to foretell a future event, and usually has to do with something negative happening.
    Like the common omens of having a bird fly into your house, or the sky be a certain color in the morning or evening, fortelling of "misfortune".

The scripture reference Deuteronomy 18:9-13, has a couple different translations.

God desires that we to look to Him in His Word and through His Holy Spirit for answers on how to live our lives today, instead of looking to events or things in order to be able to "tell the future". He referred to those in scripture that followed after gods other than Him.

If I know I am watching too much TV and my DVD breaks, I might think its a good thing that it broke, so that I get up and do something else.
    To question whether God broke it or it just broke on its own is not the issue IMO. God can bring good out of any situation to His Glory.
    Peace to you!

Psalms 138:7-8
    Though I walk in the midst of trouble, you preserve my life;
    you stretch out your hand against the wrath of my enemies, and your right hand delivers me.
    The Lord will fulfill his purpose for me; your steadfast love, O Lord, endures forever.
    Do not forsake the work of your hands.

Thread Information